Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

UL Aviation Programme Visit to Malaysia (University of Limerick)

UL delegation, from the Department of Mechanical, Aeronautical and Biomedical Engineering (MABE) and the International Education Division (IED), recently made a visit to the Management and Science University (MSU) in Kuala Lumpur.

UL is partnered with MSU in the area of aviation and in particular in connection to the recently established Bachelor of Science (BSc) Programme in ‘Aircraft Maintenance & Airworthiness Engineering’.

DOT gives a tentative OK for Norwegian Air’s U.S./EU flights (Boston Herald)

Norwegian Air won tentative U.S. Department of Transportation approval yesterday for its Ireland-based subsidiary’s flights between the United States and Europe — slated to include Logan International Airport’s first nonstop service to Cork, Ireland, along with possible new flights to Shannon — despite widespread objections from other airlines and unions.

This development could offer Shannon a new opportunity to grow extra passengers on the Boston route. I wonder what price difference could one expect between Norwegian and Aer Lingus?

It also carries risks for Shannon, as Norwegians arrival at Cork could be about two years too early, before Shannon had rebuilt its transatlantic business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If anything at least it would offer a new European route depending on wherever the aircraft goes on to after Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

BVA, WMI and WRO still not bookable on Ryanairs winter schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

Other forums are claiming that Ryanair are planning cuts at SNN next winter.
    They say that BVA is definitely for the chop and Polish routes are also being reviewed.

• Advertisement

I wonder if the source for the "information" on other forums is simply the fact they're not yet on sale -not unlike quite a portion of routes network wide!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

I hope this is the case.

http://www.clare.fm/news/new-transatlantic-service-shannon-moves-step-closer
    NEW TRANSATLANTIC SERVICE FOR SHANNON MOVES A STEP CLOSER

The prospect of a new transatlantic service from Shannon Airport has moved a step closer.
    Norwegian International Airlines has been given preliminary permission to operate services from Ireland to the US.
    Norwegian International Airlines has deals in place to fly from Shannon and Cork to Boston.
    The carrier has been seeking a licence from the US Department of Transportation for a number of months, much longer than in most other similar cases.
    Now, after intense lobbying which saw the matter raised by with President Obama by Taoiseach Enda Kenny, US authorities have given preliminary approval for permits for the airline.
    A 21-day period for final submissions is now open, and a final decision will then be made the following week.
    Shannon began discussions with Norweigian on the new service in 2014, and previously it has been understood that the new flights to Boston could begin shortly after Norweigian secures the final go-ahead.
    In a statement, a Shannon Airport spokesperson says they're hopeful of realising an "excellent opportunity" to strengthen transatlantic operations.
    The decision has also been welcomed by Transport Minister Paschal Donohue.

What kind of "excellent opportunity" kicks another existing airline off an important route and jeopardize their whole operation?

They already did this crap with Stobart and got kicked in the teeth for it, don't do it again for god sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Carnacalla wrote: »
    BVA, WMI and WRO still not bookable on Ryanairs winter schedule.

Why can't ye say the name of the destination? Those airport codes are alright for those that are involved in the industry. But for the ordinary joe soap like me, we need the actual airport name. Which shouldn't be too difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Very strange indeed. They've being negotiating since 2014 as well apparently? Somethings never change.

Surely another route will be operated with this, like Barcelona. Time will well....

finbarrk wrote: »
    Why can't ye say the name of the destination? Those airport codes are alright for those that are involved in the industry. But for the ordinary joe soap like me, we need the actual airport name. Which shouldn't be too difficult.

BVA = Paris Beauvais
    WMI = Warsaw
    WRO = Wroclaw

finbarrk wrote: »

Many people interested in the airport know the codes anyway. They're also extremely easy to look up. If you wish though I'll post the actual airport names in the future.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/state-spends-27k-a-week-on-security-for-us-military-at-shannon-airport-393520.html

Apparently the only reason Shannon has security is because of the handful of US troop flights that pass through.

At one corner they accuse the state of being bribed by the money earned from the troop stopover, and then at the other corner they accuse them of funding it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/state-spends-27k-a-week-on-security-for-us-military-at-shannon-airport-393520.html

Apparently the only reason Shannon has security is because of the handful of US troop flights that pass through.

At one corner they accuse the state of being bribed by the money earned from the troop stopover, and then at the other corner they accuse them of funding it.

How easy Mick Wallace and Clare Daly got off will forever anger me. Defending Ireland's neutrality or not, breaching airport security is not the answer.

A 30 day prison sentence, a hefty fine and a criminal record should have been the minimum them plonkers got. Overcrowding in prison really is not good enough...Airport should of brought a case against them themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Airbus330 wrote: »

How easy Mick Wallace and Clare Daly got off will forever anger me. Defending Ireland's neutrality or not, breaching airport security is not the answer.

A 30 day prison sentence, a hefty fine and a criminal record should have been the minimum them plonkers got. Overcrowding in prison really is not good enough...Airport should of brought a case against them themselves.

They are TDs did you expect anything different. They don't need to be accountable!

激励中国经济繁荣的爱尔兰小镇 (Itaaa) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

激励中国经济繁荣的爱尔兰小镇 (Itaaa) :)

Never heard that before! Can we as a nation leverage that goodwill I wonder :)

What I find quite interesting is the picture of an Anti-US Military protester in that article, a fine example of Chinese propaganda!

Completely missed the picture, shure I only buy it for the articles :D

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    Never heard that before! Can we as a nation leverage that goodwill I wonder :)
    Economic cooperation agreement signed between Shannon Free Zone and China Zone (Galway Advertiser)

The Shannon Free Zone has signed an official accord for economic cooperation with a Chinese equivalent, the China (Shanghai ) Pilot Free Trade Zone (SHFTZ ).

The Memorandum of Understanding, signed last week in Shanghai, will provide a basis for exploring opportunities of mutual economic benefit between the two free trade zones, including encouraging companies in both zones to look at the other as a potential investment base.

It is the latest Irish initiative in the ongoing strengthening of economic ties between the two nations, following on from the signing of a wide-ranging agreement to boost ties between the Irish and Chinese governments in 2014.

The Shannon Free Zone is the largest business park in the portfolio of Shannon Commercial Properties (SCP ), a business unit of the Shannon Group. Shannon Group also comprises Shannon Airport, Shannon Heritage and the International Aviation Services Cetnre (IASC ), which is charged with building on the existing cluster of 50 plus aerospace businesses operating in the Shannon Free Zone. The 600 acre business park is currently home to over 120 companies employing approximately 7,000 people.

China (Shanghai ) Pilot Free Trade Zone covers 28.78 square kilometers in total and comprises the Lujiazui financial hub, the Jinqiao manufacturing zone, the Zhangjiang high-tech base and the three bonded areas of Waigaoqiao, Yangshan and Pudong International Airport. It was established in 2013 and since then has carried out institutional reform and innovation in areas of investment, foreign trade, finance and post-filing supervision to form a legal framework for investment and trade within the zone.

Flight diversion passenger to be deported (Clare Herald)

An intoxicated man arrested after a transatlantic flight diverted to Shannon Airport this afternoon is expected to be deported.

The 28-year-old was travelling on Austrian Airlines flight OS-87 from Vienna to New York when it made an unscheduled landing in Shannon.

The DPP has since decided that no proceedings will be initiated here as the the alleged incident occurred outside Irish airspace.

A Garda spokesman confirmed that the man will be deported once the necessary arrangements are finalised. The man will be detained at Limerick Prison until those arrangements have been confirmed.

Flight diversion passenger to be deported (Clare Herald)

An intoxicated man arrested after a transatlantic flight diverted to Shannon Airport this afternoon is expected to be deported.

The 28-year-old was travelling on Austrian Airlines flight OS-87 from Vienna to New York when it made an unscheduled landing in Shannon.

The DPP has since decided that no proceedings will be initiated here as the the alleged incident occurred outside Irish airspace.

A Garda spokesman confirmed that the man will be deported once the necessary arrangements are finalised. The man will be detained at Limerick Prison until those arrangements have been confirmed.

Hmm, thought that was the 4 engine job I saw flying around today but listed as a 767. Anyone know what the 4 engine jet was? Possibly A340 but was a long way out so could well be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Deagol wrote: »
    Hmm, thought that was the 4 engine job I saw flying around today but listed as a 767. Anyone know what the 4 engine jet was? Possibly A340 but was a long way out so could well be wrong.

There was an Antonov 124 and a Boeing 747-8 there today.

Shannon757 wrote: »
    There was an Antonov 124 and a Boeing 747-8 there today.

Ah, that explains my confusion. I thought I'd seen the same plane twice but was afraid I was losing my marbles as I was sure the second time I saw it, it was different! Thanks for that :)

Heathrow: 20912 up 13% (from 18516)
    Stansted: 20345 up 9% (from 18699)
    Birmingham: 2569
    Edinburgh: 1462
    Manchester: 9167 up 7% (from 8568)

Heathrow: 20912 up 13% (from 18516)
    Stansted: 20345 up 9% (from 18699)
    Birmingham: 2569
    Edinburgh: 1462
    Manchester: 9167 up 7% (from 8568)

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for March have been updated.

The overall total UK figures are up +14.1% as against the same month from last year.

384007.png

• Advertisement

Advertisement