Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

UK February Stats now out also, LHR up 20% over last Feb.

Great to see Edinburgh back on the boards from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Chicago also looks to be struggling. Fares this year are very competitive though, just think the airport isn't highlighting the route enough. There's always people on the FB page asking for SNN-ORD.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

For sure. ORD and EWR both need some heavy promotion.

Good to see some considerable growth in PHL. When is JFK back with EI?

Airbus330 wrote: »
    When is JFK back with EI?

Tomorrow, along with EDI (As Highlydebased has pointed out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I see (hear?) Dublin to Rome being advertised on Clare FM. Can't be good for Shannon.

• Advertisement

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I see (hear?) Dublin to Rome being advertised on Clare FM. Can't be good for Shannon.

Can't see much affect in it.

When they advertise routes like New York and Boston though it becomes a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for February.

The overall total UK figures are up +13.8% as against the same month from last year. :)

380424.png

Heathrow has bridged the gap between it and Stansted. Good news really.
    All existing routes up on numbers.

MAN going to 5pw will largely affect numbers there I'd say.

Yeah the LHR increase is good news.

Wonder has the later STN departure had any effect? I know it's only what..35 min later but still.

Currently waiting to board a flight from Fort Lauderdale to New York (LGA). Just said I'd throw that in haha

Summer Season begins today :https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=557114341130643&id=390843241091088

Shannon will really start getting busier from now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Folks : we are travelling to Clare for the May bank holiday and are hoping to bring our little one to Shannon Airport to view some planes flying in or taking off. Where is the best place to do some plane spotting. This in in preparation for their first flight later in the year. I just want to give her an outing and give her some idea of planes at closer quarters instead of a smoke trail in the sky! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Down by Shannon aerospace(now Lufthansa Technik) there is a small car park viewing area which looks onto the runway and terminal bring binoculars and you might see the staff by the terminal

Jhcx wrote: »
    Down by Shannon aerospace(now Lufthansa Technik) there is a small car park viewing area which looks onto the runway and terminal bring binoculars and you might see the staff by the terminal

Jhcx: is that the best spot? Any issues parking there or should we park at the airport. I'm trying to have a look at distances on Google Maps. Its been a very very long time since Ive been around Shannon and am more familiar with Dublin Airport!
    Will make sure to bring the binoculars :-)

I think it's the best spot if you want to see aircraft landing and taking off. Like now I got to see the Ba landing. No issues parking unless people are expecting an aircraft. You can also go to the terminal and upstairs which is not always open but parking after 15minutes costs 3€ for an hour pretty steep imo. Distance from the car park to the airport is about 10minute drive if you get stuck behind slow drivers

Thanks a mill Jhcx for that info!
    Plan to take her to the terminal for a walk though. I don't want it to be a shock to the system on the day of the flight :-)

British Airways flight 2153 from London Gatwick to Bridgetown Grantley Adams diverted to Shannon today.

**** Update ****

Flight diverts to Shannon with fumes in cockpit (Clare Herald)

Edinburgh to Shannon and beyond (The Edinburgh Reporter)

The good thing about Aer Lingus recommencing their service to Shannon is that not only can you fly to Shannon, but you can also use the US immigration facilities to do pre-boarding clearance in Ireland before flying on to the US. Aer Lingus flies from there to New York and Boston.

Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Stobart Air, will today, St Patrick’s Day, launch its new route from Edinburgh to Shannon.

The new route will operate six times weekly with fares from £29.99 one-way including taxes and charges.

Hopefully Aer Lingus Regional will restart the Bristol route and double the daily flights to Birmingham too.

Hopefully Aer Lingus Regional will restart the Bristol route and double the daily flights to Birmingham too.

Hopefully, but may be unlikely. Without the SNN base the W patterns can be hard to organise. It also makes the times at the base airport often quite unfavourable, eg 3pm departure to BHX from Cork due to the SNN w rotation.

3 flights to Stansted tomorrow:

FR102: 07:00
    FR104: 22:05
    FR108: 21:10

Any reason why?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Hopefully, but may be unlikely. Without the SNN base the W patterns can be hard to organise. It also makes the times at the base airport often quite unfavourable, eg 3pm departure to BHX from Cork due to the SNN w rotation.

True but having US connection capabilities at SNN with US Customs could possibly make it more favourable to have a 3pm departure from ORK and an earlier arrival into SNN. Or instead operate an early ORK-BHX-SNN-BHX-ORK. That way US passengers could also connect onwards to the UK.

Bit of waffling there but just an idea.

• Advertisement

Sundew wrote: »
    Thanks a mill Jhcx for that info!
    Plan to take her to the terminal for a walk though. I don't want it to be a shock to the system on the day of the flight :-)

this was from the viewing area today. bit zoomed in but you get the idea that your close to the runway
    10636772_844719542341230_8928933130715128106_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Carnacalla wrote:
    3 flights to Stansted tomorrow:

Early start of summer schedule owing to mid term break.

104 has unusual times til end of the month

Jet declares emergency and diverts to Shannon (Clare Champion)

American Airlines flight AA-733 was travelling from London Heathrow to Charlotte, North Carolina in the US when the crew turned around west of Mayo at around 11.30am.

The crew sought permission to divert to Shannon reporting they had a passenger on board who had fallen ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Every second day now, it seems. Wonder why?

tippman1 wrote: »
    Every second day now, it seems. Wonder why?

No reason, complete chance.

Out of all the gates nearly all diverts go to gate 14 , but why. its once of the furthest gates from the terminal as opposed to gate 8 which is one of the closer gates to the center of the building I know gate 8 is mostly for BA LCY-JFK but its not always in use in the evenings. is it just handier to have them out of the way or is it easier for ambulances to get access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Gate 14 is better for spotters :D

Boston to Shannon flights cancelled at weekend (Clare Herald)

I was wondering why flights were departing but not returning for two days running.

Fair play to Aer Lingus for trying to keep the service uninterrupted with the hiring of a Titan Airways aircraft.

Boston to Shannon flights cancelled at weekend (Clare Herald)

I was wondering why flights were departing but not returning for two days running.

Fair play to Aer Lingus for trying to keep the service uninterrupted with the hiring of a Titan Airways aircraft.

I noted that, this morning's arrival was also cancelled.

Aer Lingus hired 2 titan airways aircraft, G-POWD and G-ZAPX.

Were all 104 passengers accommodated on the DUB flight? Didn't think there would be sufficient space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I noted that, this morning's arrival was also cancelled.

Aer Lingus hired 2 titan airways aircraft, G-POWD and G-ZAPX.

Were all 104 passengers accommodated on the DUB flight? Didn't think there would be sufficient space.

Would expect JFK-SNN took some, possible upgrade on DUB-BOS from A332 to A333 etc Very surprised if they fitted all on the same flight considering the time of year.

Advertisement