Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

ah grand, I thought you may have been referring to my industrial sized order of sex lube or my latest blow up doll!

You probably bought the cheap kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

You probably bought the cheap kind.

like myself, cheap and cheerful!

Greetings from the turd's bath. I'm currently steeping my legs and toasting my balls. I'll have sweaty turd balls shortly. Seen as I've nothing better to do .......

Thursday: 9ish miles with 4 x 1 mile reps with 3 minute recovery. Ran these with the social media outcast that is the athlete formerly known as Drquirky. Just a gentle reintroduction to a bit of a session for us both. We weren't expecting much and we weren't disappointed :) Ran these along the conyngham road outside the phoenix park. Going towards Donore you have a very very slight incline and the wind in your face while coming back towards islandbridge is handy. Splits were 5.36,5.37,5.41 (lost concentration) and 5.21. Nothing to write home about but they did feel easy enough. Hope to increase rep number, bring down average time then start to reduce recovery over the next few weeks. It's a start!

Now, if anyone wants a picture of my salty balls send me a PM and I'll oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Greetings from the turd's bath. I'm currently steeping my legs and toasting my balls. I'll have sweaty turd balls shortly. Seen as I've nothing better to do .......

Thursday: 9ish miles with 4 x 1 mile reps with 3 minute recovery. Ran these with the social media outcast that is the athlete formerly known as Drquirky. Just a gentle reintroduction to a bit of a session for us both. We weren't expecting much and we weren't disappointed :) Ran these along the conyngham road outside the phoenix park. Going towards Donore you have a very very slight incline and the wind in your face while coming back towards islandbridge is handy. Splits were 5.36,5.37,5.41 (lost concentration) and 5.21. Nothing to write home about but they did feel easy enough. Hope to increase rep number, bring down average time then start to reduce recovery over the next few weeks. It's a start!

And he is the outcast? :eek:

Something is truly wrong with the world :P

#Justice4Quirky

106 days to London marathon

Friday: 10 miles @ 7.05 pace. Handy enough run in poxy enough conditions. Rained pretty hard and wind also reared it's ugly mush. Managed to lose two more nipples. Need to get myself some bodyglide until the moobs decrease in size a bit ;)

• Advertisement

Friday: 10 miles @ 7.05 pace. Handy enough run in poxy enough conditions. Rained pretty hard and wind also reared it's ugly mush.

104 days to London marathon

Saturday: sick
    Sunday: sick

Had a bit of a head cold all this week but getting soaked on Friday did me no favours. I developed a bit of a sinus infection and upper respiratory tract infection. Took Saturday off in the hope I'd be better today for a long run (or any sort of run) today but I was slightly worse again this morning so had to skip run today as well.

Disappointing to miss 2 fulldays on my first week back training properly, but it couldn't be helped. Hopefully I'll be good to go tomorrow. Feeling better now, so fingers crossed.

100 Days to London marathon

It's a Thursday, it's cold outside. So to help warm the cockles of your heart I bring you Tales of the Turd's Training live from the Tub #TTTT. That's right folks, live from my hot bath again!

Monday: 9 miles at 7.09 mile pace. Was still feeling crap in the AM so decided I'd probably have to take another day off. However as the day wore on I started to feel much better. I had instigated an orange alert regards man flu and it seems to have been successful. I'm a pro at managing this deadly disease at this stage. I refuse to do anything in the house and take to the bed. It definitely worked and I'm still alive to tell the tale! The mrs commented, "can you imagine if I got man flu". I pointed out that women don't get man flu, they just die! Anyway, this was a late run after 9pm and it was freezing. Balls weren't hot and salty that night I can tell you!!!

Tuesday: 12 miles @ 6.50 pace. Man flu antigen obviously still circulating the system and wasn't 100%. Instead of flogging myself on a tempo I decided to shift things about and did a medium long run instead. Worked out perfectly. Was fecking freezing again. Did this along the canal bank.

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 7.15 pace. Freezing again and this run ended up been too fast. Was running with a couple of others and I let them dictate the pace. Should have headed out on my own and took it a bit handier as was supposed to be a recovery. Didn't really bother me at the time but half an hour after the run I had a pinching pain in the shin/calf. Head was wrecked but thankfully I instigated a code orange on the shin splint front and stretches have since sorted it.

Thursday: 10 miles total with 5 * 1 mile. Freezing again and the bloody wind made this a tough one. Was going to reschedule it for lunch time when it seemed a little calmer. However, I'm trying to get a routine going so decided to stick with the Thursday evening slot and take my chances with the wind. Did this along the Conyngham road again. Mile reps were 5.30-5.55-5.27-5.55-5.16. You can guess which were wind assisted and which were into the headwind. Did these with the social media outcast and was delighted with the company. Still nothing to write home about but it's a slow building process :)

Had my weekly weigh in this morning and that is going in the right direction. Diet is good and niggles seem to be under control. A1 Sharon, A1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

How come this comes to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

100 Days to London marathon

It's a Thursday, it's cold outside. So to help warm the cockles of your heart I bring you Tales of the Turd's Training live from the Tub #TTTT.

Didn't really bother me at the time but half an hour after the run I had a pinching pain in the shin/calf. Head was wrecked but thankfully I instigated a code orange on the shin splint front and stretches have since sorted it.

Hate to say this but #TTTT has a certain ring to it - bedtime stories anyone ? (and on a Thursday too ;)

What stretches to you do for your shins - got a bit of a niggle today (stepped things up in the last while in fear of the forest run ) don 't think it quite warrants a code yellow yet but might need a bit of tlc

kit3 wrote: »
    Hate to say this but #TTTT has a certain ring to it - bedtime stories anyone ? (and on a Thursday too ;)

What stretches to you do for your shins - got a bit of a niggle today (stepped things up in the last while in fear of the forest run ) don 't think it quite warrants a code yellow yet but might need a bit of tlc

Ha ha yes I took my inspiration from that :)

Regards the shin pain. In my case it's usually always tight calfs so I do the usual stretches for those.

However, the best stretch for me involves me getting on my knees (oh behave) and sitting on my heels. It's a great stretch and stretches all the way into the foot where it is very hard to normally reach.

Get on top of that ASAP because shin splints are shocking. Usually inflamed fascia etc so rest can really help. Better taking a day or two off before it becomes a major issue. Because once the fascia (in my case) gets badly inflamed it takes ages to sort itself.

• Advertisement

Ffs, between your salty balls & images of you on your knees you are quite disturbing tonight ! Hope the shin is just a small niggle - was fine on my run to work this morning but a bit niggly when I was walking around at lunchtime (having been sitting at the desk all morning) so decided not to run home. Think I'll stick with the bike tomorrow and do the stretches - might even get on my knees ;)

97 Days to London marathon

Friday: 7 miles @ 7.30 pace along the canal. Legs felt very good starting out but half way through I could feel a little tiredness in them. Obviously mile reps are taking something out of me. Nice run enjoyable anyway

Saturday: 18 miles @ 7.02 pace. Holy fcuk, this was not pleasant. 8am start, it was very cold and a little icy (safe for running though). Foolishly I hadn't planned a route out in my head beforehand and basically made it up as I went along. This is fine usually, but on a day where I'm not feeling the love it can be counterproductive as I'll cut the run short etc. Anyway first 10 miles were grand, I more or less hand a slight wind at my back. Ran by TBB's housing estate and gave him the two fingers. Ran down to the sister's grass track and ran a 7 minute mile on it, the fastest mile run on it this year. Then headed back through Tymon park and along the Luas lines to my house. Last 8 miles into a head slight wind. Wind wasn't so bad but combined with the cold air I found it tough. I wouldn't mind I was dressed up like a feckin' eskimo. Had to cross to the opposite side of the road from the Luas stops to make sure I didn't jump on and get a lift home :) Hit 17 miles outside the house and then had to do a poxy mile around the housing estate. Overall the legs were fine but it was tough mentally. Moan over

Sunday: 7 miles @ 7.07 pace. Bit pushed for time this morning so a little faster than it should have been. Legs feeling good after long run yesterday. Finished off run with some strides and struts.

~70 miles for the week. Decent week overall and hopefully I can build on this the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Looking good Mr Turd.

What'll your peak mileage be in this cycle and are you doing anything 'specific' to maintain injury free status and make the start line??

Looking good Mr Turd.

What'll your peak mileage be in this cycle and are you doing anything 'specific' to maintain injury free status and make the start line??

Not sure about "peak". As much as the body can take is the simple answer. I suppose 80-90 would be the target but might go higher or lower depending on how things progress.

Regards injury prevention I'm doing a couple of common sense things. Avoiding alcohol. Getting regular massage. I have a nightly stretch routine for dodgy muscle groups. I've also purchased a cindy Crawford yoga dvd and I'll be watching this nightly. Won't be doing the yoga mind you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What races haves you got lined up in advance TRR? As in that you'll race flat out?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What races haves you got lined up in advance TRR? As in that you'll race flat out?

10k on the 7th of Feb and half marathon on the 8th of March. National 10k is on two weeks before london and was considering that, actually earlier on I was 100% on for doing it. However, I'm not sure that's a good idea now. If it was 3 weeks out of d finitely do it but 2 weeks might be a bit risky.

What about yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

10k on the 7th of Feb and half marathon on the 8th of March. National 10k is on two weeks before london and was considering that, actually earlier on I was 100% on for doing it. However, I'm not sure that's a good idea now. If it was 3 weeks out of d finitely do it but 2 weeks might be a bit risky.

What about yourself?

Trim 10 mile is the only one at the moment. Really like Bohermeen but am in college that weekend. Nothing else planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

97 Days to London marathon

Saturday: 18 miles @ 7.02 pace. Holy fcuk, this was not pleasant. 8am start, it was very cold and a little icy (safe for running though). Foolishly I hadn't planned a route out in my head beforehand and basically made it up as I went along. This is fine usually, but on a day where I'm not feeling the love it can be counterproductive as I'll cut the run short etc. Anyway first 10 miles were grand, I more or less hand a slight wind at my back. Ran by TBB's housing estate and gave him the two fingers. Ran down to the sister's grass track and ran a 7 minute mile on it, the fastest mile run on it this year.

LOL. I'd say you did actually give the fingers. If i'd known i'd have stood outside, supping coffee and eating pizza as you went by.

Then I remembered that I ran 24 at faster than 7:02 yesterday. ;):)

Keep up dave.

Then I remembered that I ran 24 at faster than 7:02 yesterday. ;):)

:) good man, glad to hear you are going well. I think all your runs are faster than 7.02 pace so that doesn't surprise me ;)

And yes I did give the two fingers!

Greetings from the turd's bath. I'm currently steeping my legs and toasting my balls. I'll have sweaty turd balls shortly.
    It's a Thursday, it's cold outside. So to help warm the cockles of your heart I bring you Tales of the Turd's Training live from the Tub #TTTT. That's right folks, live from my hot bath again!

It's Thursday - don't forget to put on that immersion now - we wait with interest for the next instalment #TTTT

• Advertisement

#TTTT is trending on Twitter. I'm formulating my tale, it has a new acronym. To try and spice things up myself and quirky also tried to make the evening news. Keep an eye out for us ;) but I'll tell you about that later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

#TTTT is trending on Twitter. I'm formulating my tale, it has a new acronym. To try and spice things up myself and quirky also tried to make the evening news. Keep an eye out for us ;) but I'll tell you about that later :)

Sweet Jesus, I thought when you said yourself and Quirky, you were gonna say ye were gonna co present from the bath. I momentarily blanched :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

To try and spice things up myself and quirky also tried to make the evening news. Keep an eye out for us ;) but I'll tell you about that later :)

What have I told you two about mile reps near down in the furry glen :rolleyes:

Edit: There is a sense of irony in this thread given the recent tone mimicking a thread set up around this time least year ;)

Sweet Jesus, I thought when you said yourself and Quirky, you were gonna say ye were gonna co present from the bath. I momentarily blanched :)

TbL

I haven't ruled out guest bath tub cameos but they are most likely to be female.

TbL

come on TBL - it's all about equality these days - must be something to do with this upcoming referendum or something ................

I haven't ruled out guest bath tub cameos but they are most likely to be female.

We will expect evidence of course

kit3 wrote: »
    We will expect evidence of course

I've told you before on here and in multiple PMs. I'm not comfortable posting pictures of myself naked in this log. If you keep sexually harassing me I'm going to contact a mod! ;)

I've told you before on here and in multiple PMs. I'm not comfortable posting pictures of myself naked in this log. If you keep sexually harassing me I'm going to contact a mod! ;)

Really ?? - that's not what you said last week. For the record - was only looking for evidence that you managed to get a female companion into the bath with you :) After what you sent me last week I have no interest in seeing anything else ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Saw this in twitter today and thought it might be something that you can relate to. Don't worry princess, it's only once a month

https://twitter.com/runnersworlduk/status/558316723762626560

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Saw this in twitter today and thought it might be something that you can relate to. Don't worry princess, it's only once a month

https://twitter.com/runnersworlduk/status/558316723762626560

Wouldn't effect you. Seen as you only train once a month it must be easy to plan your training to avoid hormonal imbalances.

By the way if this is your way of asking me to be a bridesmaid at your forthcoming wedding I'd be delighted. Feel quite honoured and emotional actually. Jesus I'm crying and reaching for the wine, chocolate and ice cream. Must be that time of the month.

Advertisement