Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Hope your wife doesn't read ur log

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

kit3 wrote: »
    Hope your wife doesn't read ur log

So do I.

93 Days to London marathon

Tales of the Turd's Training live from the Tub #TTTT

Live from County Dublin!

Monday: 10 miles @ 6.58 pace. Nice cold lunch time run along the canal. Was well wrapped up. Did the first 5 solo and then bumped into the UPU* and ran the remainder with them. Legs feeling really good. Had to constantly put the beaks on as the pace was creeping down to low 6.40s. Was mindful that I was doing my long run of the week the following day, so I tried to hold something back.

Tuesday: 20 miles @ 6.58 pace. Had stuff on in the morning and the day off work so decided to get my long run for the week out of the way. This was not ideal as I did 18 on Saturday, so they were quite close. However, I’m planning on running long run to Monday or Tuesday from this point forward. Will have to work it into a commute or the like. Anyway, run went OK for the most part. Made a slight miscalculation in planning the distance of the run. Ran to ecoli’s house and then did close to 10 miles with him. I was on 15.5 miles when he left and still had a 5.5 mile trek home. Followed the LUAS tracks home again and planned on jumping on the LUAS at 19 miles. I couldn’t get across the road in time though and missed it. Instead of waiting 10 minutes for the next tram I kept on running. I was very tired if I’m honest. Calfs were cramping slightly. Once I hit 20 I hit the stop button on the watch and walked the remaining ¾ mile back to the house. Was very stiff and sore but a nice warm bath, followed by some decent stretches had me feeling great again.

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 7.30 pace. Ran this with the UPU* along the canal. They have a habit of running recoveries too fast so I warned them I’d be leaving them to it if they ran too fast. Purposely kept an eye on the pace but legs feeling well recovered after long run the previous day.

Thursday: ~11 miles total with 5 * 1 miles reps. Was in town all morning with meetings so dropped into Dr Quirky's Good Time Emporium, on the way home and jogged up to Conyngham Road with him to do our session. Thankfully there was little or no wind compared to last week. Nice and cool again. Session went well, reps were 5.31-5.32-5.25-5.30-5.25. Happy enough with these, I was working, but I wasn’t flogging myself. Times starting to come down slightly and hopefully in March they will be significantly faster. More interested in getting into the routine of doing these than the quality of them at the moment! On the way back by the criminal courts, there was a TV journalist recording a piece for the evening news so we obviously photobombed her. Quirky even got the guns out!

So far so good this week. Am going to do a good bit of stretching after this bath. Muscles will be nice and warm.

*UPU = UnderPerforming Unit. A group of nice lads who’s race results never reflects the quality of their training!

90 Days to London marathon

Friday: 10 handy miles @ 7.18 pace along the canal. Had company and the miles flew by. Felt like I was only out for 4 miles. Legs feeling good although a little tired after mile session previous day. We stopped on in a sports shop to buy some gels and bumped into Paul Robinson. Kind of cool just randomly bumping into a world class athlete like that.

Saturday: 10 miles @ 7 minute pace. Was supposed to run my tempo but got held up at a friends house. Ended up having lunch very late and by the time I got going I felt pregnant. Had to scrap the tempo and just get the miles done. Legs felt great so had to put the brakes on. Late lunch resulted in Ireland's methane emission quota for 2015 been surpassed. I was farting like a moped for the first 3 miles.

Sunday: 10 miles with 10k tempo in 35.58. Pissed, I missed the tempo yesterday so had to move it to today. Wasn't in the mood for this so I purposely picked a route that favoured fast running in terms of elevation and wind direction. Using my RER* it was probably equivalent to 37.10 on a flat windless route. Happy enough with it all the same as it was a good workout and was more of a mental than physical battle.

Overall a very good week 78 odd miles and goof running overall. Body fat composition continuing in the right direction too. Belts have been reintroduced to work clothes ;) Diet is good and still off the booze

*The RER should put a negative as well as a positive spin on a run effort.

I REGRET TO ANOUNCE THAT TONIGHTS UPDATE WILL NOT BE #TTTT. Mrs TRR HAS RAISED SOME HEALTH AND SAFETY CONCERNS REGARDS MY LAPTOP AND BATH WATER. IM IN CONSULTATION TRYING TO NEGOTIATE AN ALTERNATIVE, BUT I THINK ITS ALL IN VEIN. THEREFORE ONCE IVE FINISHED THE BATH ILL HAVE #TTT. JUST WANTED TO GIVE KIT3 and the other ladies a heads up as I know they plan their evening around it. I'm like the warm up act for the fifty shades of grey movie ;)

• Advertisement

I REGRET TO ANOUNCE THAT TONIGHTS UPDATE WILL NOT BE #TTTT. Mrs TRR HAS RAISED SOME HEALTH AND SAFETY CONCERNS REGARDS MY LAPTOP AND BATH WATER. IM IN CONSULTATION TRYING TO NEGOTIATE AN ALTERNATIVE, BUT I THINK ITS ALL IN VEIN. THEREFORE ONCE IVE FINISHED THE BATH ILL HAVE #TTT. JUST WANTED TO GIVE KIT3 and the other ladies a heads up as I know they plan their evening around it. I'm like the warm up act for the fifty shades of grey movie ;)

It just won't be the same - have my own bath ready here and all - was going to read the update as I soaked :cool: will just have to make do with #TTT later then

86 Days to London marathon

Monday: 10 miles @ 7.18 pace. Handy run along the canal. Legs a little tired but feeling good overall.

Tuesday: 20 miles @ 6.48 pace. This run had lots of terrains, road, canal path, off road and road to finish. The final 4 miles of this were a slog. I probably ran the first 10 miles a little too hard. I was listening to some music and thinking about some bastards who really annoy me. Running angry ;) Anyway hit 16 and last 4 were back into a wind tunnel. Was more mental than physical if I'm honest and if I had company I could have popped out another few miles. Was browned off so just left it at the 20.

Wednesday: 8 miles @ 7.20 pace. Easy run early in the morning. Very cold but once I got moving it was fine. Wind was quite strong again.

Thursday: 10 miles with 6 mile tempo @ 5.50 pace. Jesus this was a struggle. This weather really has me down. I didn't enjoy this one bit, but enjoyed getting it done. Tempo was fine until the 4 mile mark and then I felt like ****. Legs very heavy. Said I'd get to 5 and call it a day. 5th rep was actually fastest of the day so convinced myself I was just pushing too hard and lengthened it out to 6 miles. Happy to get back to a warm shower. However, I have a small twinge in my back and a tight hip flexor. It has loosened out with some stretching so hopefully it will be better again tomorrow.

Can't wait to see the back of January. I know overall the weather has been bad but the bad days just really stick in my head. Hopefully things start to pick up soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

"No hot salty ball"

Singular:eek::eek::eek::eek:. Me thinks you are holding out on a tale of woe for your readers

ECOLII wrote: »
    "No hot salty ball"

Singular:eek::eek::eek::eek:. Me thinks you are holding out on a tale of woe for your readers

Me thinks you may be right - TRR is becoming quite the teller of tales full of suspense & intrigue. Me thinks he must have learnt from a master

kit3 wrote: »
    Me thinks you may be right - TRR is becoming quite the teller of tales full of suspense & intrigue. Me thinks he must have learnt from a master

It was a typo :) if I was going to make up tales they would not include the demise of my testicles.

• Advertisement

It was a typo :) if I was going to make up tales they would not include the demise of my testicles.

Hey, don't worry - it's no big deal - you don't have to share everything. It could be another #TTT though - Tales of the Turd's Testicle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

try this waterproof tablet instead of the laptop in the bath

PaulieC wrote: »
    try this waterproof tablet instead of the laptop in the bath

if you guys want to chip in and buy me this I'll gladly accept :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

if you guys want to chip in and buy me this I'll gladly accept :)
    The 3.1 megapixel camera to the rear of the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 8.0

tumblr_m7zg2vEeR41qliibu.jpg

83 days to London marathon

Friday: 10 miles at 7.09 pace. Nice handy run along the canal. Legs feeling quite good and hip and back pain are gone thankfully. Had the customary hot bath Thursday evening and really stretched the hip flexors and glutes. Very happy to sort it as it had me quite worried.

Saturday: 15 miles at 7 minute pace including a parkrun in 17.37. Plan was to get a parkrun in lieu of mile reps as a blow out for next weeks 10k. Had 17 minutes in my head as a decent target. I'm usually stuck for time on Saturday mornings but some of the kids activities were cancelled so had a window to push out my run. Ran the 6 miles to the parkrun, ran the parkrun and then home. Won't over analyse the parkrun itself but I was disgusted with myself. Took the foot off the gas and couldn't keep the pace. Should have done the mile reps instead. Felt good finishing anyway so nice to get a solid 15 miles in if nothing else.

Sunday: 8+ miles at 6.58 pace. Handy run around local park. Cracking day for running. Really bright and nice and cool. Really enjoyed this. Finished off run with some strides.

Just over 80 miles for the week, so nice and solid. Next week is a step back week so no longer run or sessions. Just easy running and a race on Saturday. Will be interested to see what I run but expectations are low and to be honest that's fine with me. I'm more concerned about what happens in 12 weeks time than 1 week. Bigger picture and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Next week is a step back week so no longer run or sessions. Just easy running and a race on Saturday.

I like the sound of that :)

79 Days to London marathon

Monday: 10 miles @ 7.18 pace. Handy run along the canal. Legs feeling good but a little tired. Nice cold day!

Tuesday: 12.5 miles at 7.10 pace. MLR along the canal again. Had a little scare as got what felt like a cramp at 3 miles in my calf but it never really loosened out. Was a very cold morning and I don't think this helped the cause either. Stretched it out at 8 miles and best way to describe it was like a chinese burn on the calf. Wasn't very sore but was noticeable. I've a history of shin splints and specifically inflamed fascia. Always when I'm training for London too (2009 and 2012). This was definitely an inflammation. Run for the day was supposed to be 16 miles but obviously cut it short when it became clear pain wasn't a cramp. Thankfully it subsided over night with some stretching and about 3 compression calf guards on my right calf.

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 7.05 pace. Calf pain gone, still a little tightness in calf in the morning but I stretched it out and I was good to go. Having said that I played it safe again and cut this run a few miles short.

Thursday: 10 miles @ 7.25 pace. Nice run with the track fairy^ and Leitrim's biggest GAA supporter* in my local park. The GAA fan isn't a fan of grass so we had to run half on the grass and half on the road. It was an American half so most of it was on the road. Actually felt faster than the average pace suggested. Legs still heavy obviously.

I'm racing Rathcoffey on Saturday. Will give it welly but not expecting too much. Will try and leave the watch off but at the same time I'd like to review splits etc later, so I might start it and turn it to a blank screen or something along those lines. Actually afraid if the splits are too slow mid race it will mess with my head. I haven't raced since start of December (Waterford half) and haven't really raced where I've had the head down in training for a while. So obviously some preface nerves are kicking in. Love the fear though :)

^E (Wait for me, I'm running 5 minutes late) coli (but ends up been actually 15 minutes) i
    *Ireland's angriest social media outcast DrQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

How is the weight loss coming along Ricky, I'm a fair bit behind my target already.

Good luck with the race

TbL

How is the weight loss coming along Ricky, I'm a fair bit behind my target already.

Good luck with the race

TbL

It's going good thanks. I've reduced my body fat composition by nearly 5%. However, you've called me out on a bad day. Birthday in the family today so diet wasn't great :) Still off the booze etc. If I lose the same again (which I should do) by the time the marathon roles around I'll be in a good place.

Why are you behind your targets? Are you acting the dick or is just not coming off no matter how hard you try? And I'm been a dick asking this question because I can probably answer the question ;)

It's going good thanks. I've reduced my body fat composition by nearly 5%. However, you've called me out on a bad day. Birthday in the family today so diet wasn't great :) Still off the booze etc. If I lose the same again (which I should do) by the time the marathon roles around I'll be in a good place.

Why are you behind your targets? Are you acting the dick or is just not coming off no matter how hard you try? And I'm been a dick asking this question because I can probably answer the question ;)

Jesus thats impressive!

You and your grasshopper with the dick questions :)

I'm trying and have some really good days but then lose focus and do damage. I've noticed that I've started to make excuses to push out my next big effort to "next Monday"!

At the end of the day I'm not trying hard enough.

Really need to fcuk us more as the Spaniard would say!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Have you asked Paula to pace you?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Have you asked Paula to pace you?

I'll be keeping a close eye on any of her upcoming races for sure. She hasn't given much away regards her target time. Would be great for me if she was shooting for a similar time ss she should have a group of fellow knobs like myself who want to get on TV while been paced by the women's world record holder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I'll be keeping a close eye on any of her upcoming races for sure. She hasn't given much away regards her target time. Would be great for me if she was shooting for a similar time ss she should have a group of fellow knobs like myself who want to get on TV while been paced by the women's world record holder

She ran 34:16 for 10k in Canaries last week.
    A few weeks back she was targeting 2:35 -2:40. I see yesterday she was hoping for low 2:30's. She 'll in the Championship start like you Jack

Best of luck on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Abhainn wrote: »
    She ran 34:16 for 10k in Canaries last week.
    A few weeks back she was targeting 2:35 -2:40. I see yesterday she was hoping for low 2:30's. She 'll in the Championship start like you Jack

You're in better shape than Radcliffe anyway ;). Fantastic time to run at this stage in proceedings.

Congrats on the win today. Are we going to hear about it or are you too busy soaking in the tub

76 days to London marathon

Friday: 5 mils easy @ 7.05 pace. Easy run with the UPU. They insisted on running some stupid back roads. Between roads works and crazy Kildare drivers I did well to make it back in one piece. Feckin' UPU

Saturday: 11 miles with 10k in 33.16. Obviously dead chuffed with this. Had no idea what to realistically expect. I had in my head 34.10-34.20 but was hoping there would be a few lads to help me get around in maybe a faster time.This is a small race and raises funds for a charity so it doesn't get a very deep field up the front. Was a bit disappointed with this at first but it did mean I had the chance of racing to win. First km was in 3.20 and I was with two other lads, next km was 3.21 and I had a gap on them. Had to make the decision to keep going or run a little bit more with the lads and try and get away from them with 2km to go. As I said I had no idea what to expect so I threw caution to the wind and just kept the foot on the gas. 3k in 10.02, 6 k in 20.02. I was consistently hitting 3.20s. Didn't really fade at all and even picked up a bit in the last 2k. Very happy with time but even happier that I was able to keep pushing even when I had a decent lead. Total contrast to the parkrun last weekend.

Sunday: 10 miles @ 7.05 pace. Too fcuking fast but I'm going to balme the cold weather. Wasn't in the form for this but enjoyed it once I got out the door. I played one of my booze wildcards last night and had my first beer after a Jesus inspired 40 days and 40 nights on the wagon. Nothing too crazy but definitely could feel the effects in the legs today.

So thats the end of block 1 of my training. Block 2 starts tomorrow and I hope to increase the volume a bit. Plan is 3 hard weeks and then an easy week in the lead up to my next race in Bohermeen.

Nice racing, great way to go into the next block of training.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I think that's a great result. Running from the front from the off cannot have been easy. It shows you have a lot confidence which is great to see. How does the ReR rate the run??!

• Advertisement

I think that's a great result. Running from the front from the off cannot have been easy. It shows you have a lot confidence which is great to see. How does the ReR rate the run??!

Ha ha. Yes I've run the result through the RER a couple of times and got conflicting results. Afterwards I felt that if I had company I could have gone sub 33. However it is a fast course and conditions were near perfect so I can't complain.

Advertisement