Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Couldn't even win me money...useless..time to sell the horse...or else take ya to France! ;)

Nice work all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

48 days to London marathon

Friday: 7.5 miles @ 7.20 pace. Handy run along the canal. Legs felt a bit jelly-ish after the day off on Thursday. Feeling good anyway.

Saturday: 5 miles @ 7.15 pace. This was supposed to be a handy shake out of the legs but the wind around my way was shocking. I was wrecked by the time I got back to the house :) Legs feeling in good nick afterwards.

Sunday: Half marathon in 74.18. I haven't fully processed this one yet! Last year I ran this race and after a conservative first half finished very strongly. This year I was chasing a sub 73 minute time so decided to go out harder from the gun. Had a great group of four others to run with and even though conditions weren't ideal I've no complaints as they were 20 times better than they had been all weekend. Didn't feel good from the go but thought I'd settle into the pace after a couple of miles. Was starting to work hard the end of the first loop (incline and wind) and by 7.5 miles my goose was cooked. Had to ease off the pace and let the group go leaving me in no mans land. Last 3 miles were pure torture and I'll be honest the thoughts of stopping entered my mind a couple of times. Group of 3 caught me over the last 2 miles and while I ended up losing one place I was happy enough to be able to stay ahead of the other two guys. Pace for last 3 miles slipped back to 5.55s. I reckon if I had of been able to go sub 74 I'd be viewing this result slightly different. Anyway, I've no complaints. Went for a time, turns out it was a bit optimistic, died a death but managed to survive. Legs and guts were in a jocker when I finished so the effort levels were definitely there.

Good quote a friend of mine likes to use

You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fcuk on.
    ― Tupac Shakur

Will take it handy for the next 2-3 days then start upping the mileage again. 7 weeks to London and will start all my marathon specific stuff next week. Time to move the fcuk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

The TRR stare!!
    Has to be experienced to be believed!! :D

neilc wrote: »
    The TRR stare!!
    Has to be experienced to be believed!! :D

?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

?:confused:

Only messing, was out on the course and gave you a cheer. Think I remember someone posting a picture on your log at one stage and commenting on the stare. Well done on great time!

• Advertisement

Only messing, was out on the course and gave you a cheer. Think I remember someone posting a picture on your log at one stage and commenting on the stare. Well done on great time!

ha ha, yeah apparently I never smile. Definitely wasn't smiling yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Solid running Dave, nicely done.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

48 days to London marathon

Friday: 7.5 miles @ 7.20 pace. Handy run along the canal. Legs felt a bit jelly-ish after the day off on Thursday. Feeling good anyway.

Saturday: 5 miles @ 7.15 pace. This was supposed to be a handy shake out of the legs but the wind around my way was shocking. I was wrecked by the time I got back to the house :) Legs feeling in good nick afterwards.

Sunday: Half marathon in 74.18. I haven't fully processed this one yet! Last year I ran this race and after a conservative first half finished very strongly. This year I was chasing a sub 73 minute time so decided to go out harder from the gun. Had a great group of four others to run with and even though conditions weren't ideal I've no complaints as they were 20 times better than they had been all weekend. Didn't feel good from the go but thought I'd settle into the pace after a couple of miles. Was starting to work hard the end of the first loop (incline and wind) and by 7.5 miles my goose was cooked. Had to ease off the pace and let the group go leaving me in no mans land. Last 3 miles were pure torture and I'll be honest the thoughts of stopping entered my mind a couple of times. Group of 3 caught me over the last 2 miles and while I ended up losing one place I was happy enough to be able to stay ahead of the other two guys. Pace for last 3 miles slipped back to 5.55s. I reckon if I had of been able to go sub 74 I'd be viewing this result slightly different. Anyway, I've no complaints. Went for a time, turns out it was a bit optimistic, died a death but managed to survive. Legs and guts were in a jocker when I finished so the effort levels were definitely there.

Good quote a friend of mine likes to use

You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fcuk on.
    ― Tupac Shakur

Will take it handy for the next 2-3 days then start upping the mileage again. 7 weeks to London and will start all my marathon specific stuff next week. Time to move the fcuk on.
    Savage running but a much better quote. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

8151569338_ca6e563e45_o.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    8151569338_ca6e563e45_o.jpg

:D

Holy sh!t I found your twin

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Holy sh!t I found your twin

uncanny!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done D on the Bohermeen result despite it not being what you were hoping for. I thought your training thus far was marathon specific. What's more marathon specific about the next 7 weeks for you? More MP miles?

RedRunner wrote: »
    Well done D on the Bohermeen result despite it not being what you were hoping for. I thought your training thus far was marathon specific. What's more marathon specific about the next 7 weeks for you? More MP miles?

Thanks. Training has been geared towards a marathon all right. But I still haven't done any of the very long tempos (10+ miles) or longer reps (3 * 3miles/5k etc) yet. That's what I'd consider as being marathon specific. I'd never do those sort of training runs for shorter target races. Reason, I haven't done them is two fold. Firstly I wasn't fit enough for them and secondly and more importantly, by starting them now I'm hoping that I'll peak in 7 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I was standing chattin to Meno at the start when this long streak of piss dressed in ninja black zipped past us. I was expecting something different when you mentioned the Ricky Hatton analogy, sure Ricky would have to stand on his tippy toes to lick the fluff out of your belly button :)

From the brief view I got on the flyby you look in excellent nick, you've obviously got willpower and determination in spades to get into that kinda shape.

'Twas a tough day out there.

TbL

42 days to London marathon

So this week was just about absorbing and getting over the half marathon. It really is a monster session. By my own reckoning it's worth at least 3 stand alone tempo runs. Because of this fact and also the fact I was burning fumes the last couple of miles I wanted to make sure I recovered properly. Firstly, to make sure I'm ready for the next 4 week block of training but also to make sure I don't pick up any injuries.

I know I said I wasn't going to dwell on last weeks race but on reflection I'm very happy with the outcome. It has certainly motivated me for the next block and has reminded me not to be overoptimistic in the early stages of London. I have also realised that I may have overtrained ever so slightly. It's been basically 10 years since I've been able to do 2 sessions a week and I think my body is still readjusting to these demands. I should have listened to the TRR-hornometer*. The week before Bohermeen the TRR-hornometer was telling me that I may have overcooked things a little. You'll be glad to hear that the TRR-hornometer is reporting normal levels again and will be a useful instrument going forward ;)

Monday: 6 handy @ 7.30 pace. Pretty stiff and sore after the half marathon. Started off as John Wayne shuffle but after two miles a lot of the stiffness had sorted itself out. Legs very tired.

Tuesday: 7 handy @ 7.30 pace. Better than yesterday. Not as stiff starting out but the legs were still very tired. Nice flat run along the canal similar to Monday.

Wednesday: 10 easy miles @ 7.05 pace. Legs feeling 10 times better today. Just went with the pace and didn't look at the watch until I'd finished. Was tired after an hour but was easy enough to keep the pace going. I had some pain in my left hamstring the two previous days (originating from the glutes) and that was absent on this run so very happy.

Thursday: 11 miles @ 7 minute pace. Absolutely disgusting evening for a run. Was very wet and a little windy. Wasn't looking forward to it but as usual once I got going it was fine and I actually ended up really enjoying this one.

Friday: 9 miles @ 6.45. Absolutely cracking day along the canal. Initial plan was for LSR on Saturday but put that back to Sunday. Instead of doing a handy recovery today I pushed the distance out a little and just let the pace look after itself. Feeling a million bucks :)

Saturday: 21 miles @ 6.47 pace. Had to move LSR to Saturday afternoon. The long runs are my achilles heel. I really like to have company and a route planned. I kind of have to build myself up for them mentally. Anyway I had to rearrange this to fit in stuff with the family so just headed out in the afternoon. Was solo and leaving the drive way had no route planned. I just made it up as I went along. Risk with this is sometimes I unintentionally cut a run short. Same happened today but I just threw in an extra 5k loop around the housing estate. Legs felt great, was afraid Fridays run might catch up with me. I needn't have worried. Had to deliberately hold myself back.

Sunday: 7 miles @ 7 minute pace. This honestly felt like a recovery run. Tried to run early miles slower but just couldn't keep the pace down. I guess lack of quality sessions has freshened the legs up nicely. Just as I had hopped.

Decent week. 70 miles with no quality miles. Happy the long run. More importantly I think the body is set up nicely for the next 4 weeks of hard training.

*TRR-hornometer: Measures frequencies of spontaneous boners (SBs). There was a distinct lack of libido and SBs two weeks out from Bohermeen. A bit crude but I've had to read about women's periods and the effect they have on training elsewhere so I decided to share ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Don't check the asterix, Don't check the asterix, Don't check the asterix, Don't check the asterix.....

....damn my innate curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

342075.jpg

37 days to London marathon

Monday: 13 miles @ 6.50 pace. Felt good on this one. Nice crisp day and body felt good.

Tuesday: 14 miles including 10 mile tempo in 57-58(ish) minutes. Where has it all gone wrong? 10 years ago a St Patrick's day session involved 14 pints a curry with two spring rolls. Met up with TBB for the tempo which was a great help. Didn't fancy doing this solo. We headed up to the concert field in Marlay which he informed me is 1km on the nose. 16 odd laps didn't really appeal to me but once we started it was fine. The Garmin hit 10 miles in 57 minutes dead but I had yet to finish the 16th lap so either the lap is slightly long, I was running slightly wide or the garmin was off slightly. It was probably the latter. I got to the end of the 16th lap and TBB reminded me I had another 80-90 metres to cover. If it had of been anyone else I would have told them to go fcuk themselves but in fairness to him he had planned the perfect spot for the tempo and even helped with drinks etc so I ran the extra little bit and finished in 58.10. Very happy with this because I was working but it was comfortably uncomfortable :) Was wiped out in the afternoon after spending the rest of the morning and early afternoon in a playground with the kids. Lay down on the bed a woke up 2 hours later.

Wednesday: 10 miles easy @ 7.20 pace. Lovely run around back roads. Legs feeling surprisingly good after session the previous day. Purposely kept an eye on the pace as the lad I was running with has a habit of running a bit too fast.

Thursday: 20 miles @ sub 7 minute pace. This went OK but everything conspired against me this morning. Had a military style plan, moved work meetings etc around until afternoon and arranged to drop the car off to mechanic at 7.30 am and run into work. Car had a puncture this morning :mad: and I was missing an adapter to free the spare tyre. Pain in the hoop but managed to get everything sorted but was now running way behind. Was going to just leave it but luckily had no other way to get into work so off I popped. Cracking day for a run, really bright but still cool. Body feeling good except for some minor lower back pain that's coming from the glutes. Will spend a bit of time massaging my arse later this evening.

TRR-hornometer update: SB frequency is low but not yet negligible, schwing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

We headed up to the concert field in Marlay which he informed me is 1km on the nose. 16 odd laps didn't really appeal to me but once we started it was fine.

you're lucky he didn't bring you to his usual spot for laps, would have been 30 or 40 of them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Will spend a bit of time massaging my arse later this evening.

TRR-hornometer update: SB frequency is low but not yet negligible, schwing ;)

Remember, it's quality over quantity that's important - will be interesting to see if your planned massage improves matters - maybe you should get help with that ;)

• Advertisement

35 days to London marathon

Friday: 8 miles @ 7.40 pace. Kept this nice and handy as legs were heavy and I had a session the following day. Wasn't very nice out to be honest. Very overcast, cold and misty. Just happy to get it done with little effort.

Saturday: 14 miles including 3 * 5K with 3 minute jog recovery between reps. Last weekend I had decided that I would do 4 * 2 miles @ HMP as my second session of this week. It was either that or 3 * 5km reps at marathon pace. After the long tempo on Tuesday I wanted to do something a little quicker than MP. However I had to shift things around, didn't get enough rest and warming up I had an inclination I might struggle to hit the required 5.35 HMP pace. Rejigged the session on the fly to the 5k intervals at close to MP. Rejigging isn't ideal but in hindsight was a good move. 5k reps were 17.55, 17.45 and 17.59. Legs weren't tired starting out but were heavy and lacking zip. With this in mind I've decided not to race next weekend as I had initially planned. I never race well when I'm in the middle of peak marathon training so will just make sure I hit key sessions as planned. instead.

Sunday: 12 miles @ 7.35 pace. Super sunny and warm morning for a run. Yaboya was doing a long run and passing my front door so arranged to jump in with him. Legs feeling nice and loose. Run zipped by.

Good week all things considered. 91 miles for the week and pretty much hit everything as planned.

30 Days to London marathon

Monday: 12 miles at 7.05 pace. Met up with the boards outcast (ecoli) for most of this. I told him to stay away as you are all sick of his $hit. He told me to tell you all to go fcuk yourselves. He's a bad git at heart. I think I seen him spit on a small child on the run too! We were trying to take it a little handier but miles were zipping by without any effort. Happy with this run as I felt fine after it.

Tuesday: 11 miles total with 5 * 1 mile reps off 3 minute recovery. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dreading these. Legs were heavy starting out on the warm up but once I got going they were fine. They feel quite short now compared to when I did them back in January which is a good sign I guess. The recovery is very very generous but I was more interested in getting 5 done at a decent clip so it worked out fine reps were 5.24, 5.19, 5.19, 5.15 and 5.25.

Wednesday: 8+ miles at 7.24 pace. Handy run along the canal. Legs a little tired from the sessions and some tightness in my glutes but nothing major.

Thursday: 12 miles including 8 at 6 minute pace. This was a little tougher than I had hoped. Wind played a big roll. Was fine once I had it behind my back but it knocked the crap out of me when it was in my face. Nearly came to a standstill on a couple of occasions. I'm happy with it though. Back in January I doubted I would be able for two decent sessions a week yet alone 2 in 3 days.

26 days to London marathon

Friday: 10 miles @ 7.05 pace. This run was fine. Legs not heavy after Thursday's effort and aerobically was very easy. However had very noticeable pain in my left glute. Felt like a dead arse cheek.

Saturday: 7 miles @ 7.30 pace. Pain moved from glute now and pain originating from piriformis attachment site. Can run on it and it is only stiffness however I need to sort this as I've no intentions of running with this for the next month.

Sunday: OFF

So I took yesterday off and will also take today off too. Have been doing extra stretches for the piriformis and it's improving slowly. Definitely more mobility in the hip and lower back pain is reducing. Will see how it feels tomorrow before deciding whether I should run or not. Had to skip Sunday's planned 20 mile run. Logic was telling me that one missed long run is nothing in the grand scheme of things, also running on a slightly damaged/aggravated muscle is not a good idea. But still my runners logic was telling me I needed to get the long run in! Thankfully sense prevailed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

26 days to London marathon

Friday: 10 miles @ 7.05 pace. This run was fine. Legs not heavy after Thursday's effort and aerobically was very easy. However had very noticeable pain in my left glute. Felt like a dead arse cheek.

Saturday: 7 miles @ 7.30 pace. Pain moved from glute now and pain originating from piriformis attachment site. Can run on it and it is only stiffness however I need to sort this as I've no intentions of running with this for the next month.

Sunday: OFF

So I took yesterday off and will also take today off too. Have been doing extra stretches for the piriformis and it's improving slowly. Definitely more mobility in the hip and lower back pain is reducing. Will see how it feels tomorrow before deciding whether I should run or not. Had to skip Sunday's planned 20 mile run. Logic was telling me that one missed long run is nothing in the grand scheme of things, also running on a slightly damaged/aggravated muscle is not a good idea. But still my runners logic was telling me I needed to get the long run in! Thankfully sense prevailed!

Hope that improves soon for you - good to see you are taking the sensible approach (can't be easy). Just think what you would be saying to one of the people you are coaching if you are tempted...

Best of luck

presume that absence of an update on the hornometer means that all is well with the world ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

"presume that absence of an update on the hornometer means that all is well with the world"

I imagine things are looking up, alright.

18 Days to London Marathon

Monday: OFF

Tuesday: OFF

Wednesday: 8 miles @ 7.20. So hip/arse/piriformis pain has eased off and all pain is centred on the lower back now. I've had these issues before and after a defined period of rest running is actually helpful to loosen out the back pain. If I was going to have a running/sporting injury this would be it. 23 hours of pain and discomfort but when I run pain disappears once I've loosened up. It's not a muscle problem at this stage it's just a pinched nerve. It's unfortunate that nerve is my sciatic nerve but it's manageable.

Thursday: 10 miles @ 7.05 pace. Grand run along the canal feeling better than yesterday

Friday: 11 miles @ 6.38 pace. Was pissed off so just let the legs go at whatever pace they wanted.

Saturday: 10 miles @ 7.20 pace. Pain was slightly worse in the morning but the run loosened it out and felt quite good for the rest of the day.

Sunday: 10 miles @ 6.35 pace. Wanted to have a bit of heaviness in the legs before Monday session so ran this steady. Similar trend of feeling good when running and discomfort when I tighten back up.

Monday: 20 miles total 8@6.58, 10 miles in 58.01 and 2 mile cool down. Ran an hour around Bull island before jumping into the Brian Boru 10 miler. Ended up running harder than marathon pace but felt good. Body felt good during this.

So yesterday was a good session and plan for the remainder of week is easy running and a 10k on Saturday. How hard I'll run that 10k will depend on how the back pain progresses. I'm happy enough to run easy for the next 3 weeks but if I can push out approx 3 more sessions (including 10k) in the meantime I will. Icing on the cake stuff, I'm not risking an injury so I'll make a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I saw you were well behind some of the young chancers on the first lap yesterday but ended up well in front.
    So did you speed up or did they fall apart?

menoscemo wrote: »
    I saw you were well behind some of the young chancers on the first lap yesterday but ended up well in front.
    So did you speed up or did they fall apart?

I was running with Abhainn and I think he said out 5 mile split was 29.30. We definitely sped up but not sure if it was by a full minute. My Garmin splits aren't much use due to loss of signal with trees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi there, I'm guessing it was you and Abhainn doing all the chatting that was disturbing one of the Wicklow coaches :D "he's still chatting, tell him to get a move on!" (About Abhainn)

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm guessing it was you and Abhainn doing all the chatting that was disturbing one of the Wicklow coaches :D "he's still chatting, tell him to get a move on!" (About Abhainn)

ha ha, yeah he was quite irate at the eight mile mark with Abhainn :) Joe is like an auld one once he gets yapping. Talking about his loves of the Dubs and the shocking price of silage back in 2012 with the bad summer!

Advertisement