Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

This is going to be a very incomplete update.

Weekend of DCM I ran Tymon parkun in 17.2X. Was disgusted, was aiming to sub 17 and effort levels were at 16.4x but just ran like a $hitehawk. Sunday and Monday and then Wednesday for an hour. I was away in Spain for a few days for a bit of RnR and I just basically slept most of the time. Rest of the week was a write off in running terms.

Following week I managed close to 60 miles with the highlight been a 14 mile run on Friday and a handy park run in 17.5x. Was very happy with this because I was just cursing around on tired legs.

Last week I was up to my nuts in work and at home and managed to squeeze in 55 miles but nothing quality at all. Ran 12 miles Friday and an hour Saturday and Sunday. These were total bonus runs, I had written the weekend off because we had a lot on but managed to haul my ass out of bed early to get them done. Something I hate doing.

I'm an all or nothing kind of person and I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself for any races before Christmas as they aren't major goals. I have a plan for the new year and am living the good life a little too much at the moment. I'm still fit enough but am about a stone over my racing weight. It's not a major concern because I plan on really focusing for London in April. I can suffer from mental fatigue in a marathon cycle so while I'm glad I'm not too focused on anything at the moment, I probably should be a little more disciplined. I'm basically ticking over and I think I'd be happy with where I'm at, except for the fact I'm running the Waterford half marathon. I expect to get my (fat) arse handed to me on a plate and this is kind of annoying me.

Anyway, I'll put my violin away for the moment. Updates will be sparse before the new year

Hope you were swearing under your breath :)

Be interested to hear how you intend to go about shifting the extra stone and how long do you think it'll take?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Hope you were swearing under your breath :)

Be interested to hear how you intend to go about shifting the extra stone and how long do you think it'll take?

TbL

Ha, yeah all under my breath :)

I'll be following my revolutionary diet technique. I've been working on it for the last 5 years, measuring metabolic rates and calorific turnover. I call it "put the crap food down fatso and run more"

1) I'll give up the booze. Without a change in body fat composition, I'll drop 4 lbs in the first two weeks after doing this. Must be some sort of beer related water retention. It's the reason the sister pearse "athletes" drink vodka and tonic. They don't want to look bloated in their crop tops. I drink on average 8 pints of non craft beer a week. Calorie reduction = 1700 calories

2) cut out the snack boxes. Currently having a take away on a Friday night. Will still get chips as a weekly treat but will cut out fried chicken. Calorie reduction = 1000 calories.

3) cut out the snack bars. I fooking love purple snacks. Currently having one at lunch and one at dinner. Will cut out lunch snack. Calorie reduction = 700 calories

4) stop finishing kids unfinished crisps, drinks, sweets, chocolate, sausages etc. calories reduction = 800 calories

5) increase mileage from ~55 to 80 miles. Additional calories burned = 3000 calories.

Those 5 simples steps equate to 7200 calories a week. There are ~3500 calories in a lb of fat. My appetite will increase slightly and I'll consume additional calories elsewhere when training but I should easily shed a lb a week on average.

I feel like a dickhead writing that down but it's that simple! Run more, eat less crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tnx, I thought I was on the receiving end of one of your wind up posts!

Makes sense, especially when you lay it out like that, I suppose it's not rocket science but I was kinda surprised to see a lad not far off a 2.30 marathon turns into a binge crap eating machine :)

TbL

I suppose it's not rocket science but I was kinda surprised to see a lad not far off a 2.30 marathon turns into a binge crap eating machine :)

TbL

Its a well know fact that I am the Ricky hatton of boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Purple snacks are the absolute business. I even import em here myself! Glad you get to still have the dinner one!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ha, yeah all under my breath :)

I'll be following my revolutionary diet technique. I've been working on it for the last 5 years, measuring metabolic rates and calorific turnover. I call it "put the crap food down fatso and run more"

1) I'll give up the booze. Without a change in body fat composition, I'll drop 4 lbs in the first two weeks after doing this. Must be some sort of beer related water retention. It's the reason the sister pearse "athletes" drink vodka and tonic. They don't want to look bloated in their crop tops. I drink on average 8 pints of non craft beer a week. Calorie reduction = 1700 calories

2) cut out the snack boxes. Currently having a take away on a Friday night. Will still get chips as a weekly treat but will cut out fried chicken. Calorie reduction = 1000 calories.

3) cut out the snack bars. I fooking love purple snacks. Currently having one at lunch and one at dinner. Will cut out lunch snack. Calorie reduction = 700 calories

4) stop finishing kids unfinished crisps, drinks, sweets, chocolate, sausages etc. calories reduction = 800 calories

5) increase mileage from ~55 to 80 miles. Additional calories burned = 3000 calories.

Those 5 simples steps equate to 7200 calories a week. There are ~3500 calories in a lb of fat. My appetite will increase slightly and I'll consume additional calories elsewhere when training but I should easily shed a lb a week on average.

I feel like a dickhead writing that down but it's that simple! Run more, eat less crap.

Must be a contender for post of the year.
    :)

quick update: last 2-3 weeks have been hit or miss. Ran most days but runs were short or rushed. No real quality. Ran a park run in 17.05 and was very happy with this, followed that up with a poor performance in the Dublin intermediate xc last weekend. Just couldn't get going and was disappointed with myself. Just back from Waterford where I ran the half and just dipped under 76 minutes. Delighted with this as the aim heading down was to run 78-79 minutes. In a heap today but a half marathon of running followed by an all day marathon of drinking will do that to you ;)

Main reason I'm posting here is I'm looking for a recommendation for a reliable cheap GPS watch. All I want is distance, pace, lap pace etc. Won't use HR monitor etc. Started doing some online research and I've a pain in my hole. Would appreciate a watch and retailer recommendation. Yes I am that lazy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

forerunner 10 is grand. pace distance time, that's your lot. only problem with it I find is that you can't time your recoveries

RayCun wrote: »
    forerunner 10 is grand. pace distance time, that's your lot. only problem with it I find is that you can't time your recoveries

Thanks. Yes was looking at this. Does it save individual laps? Like mile laps for example?

Thanks. Yes was looking at this. Does it save individual laps? Like mile laps for example?

yes, it has autopause and autolap, km or olde timey, and your time for each lap pops up as you complete it. When you upload your run you get all the usual data, but its very restricted in what it will show you during the run. You can switch between two screens, each only shows you two fields, and your choice is time/pace, time/distance, time/calories, pace/distance, pace/calories, distance/calories. there's also a virtual pacer

• Advertisement

yes, it has autopause and autolap, km or olde timey, and your time for each lap pops up as you complete it. When you upload your run you get all the usual data, but its very restricted in what it will show you during the run. You can switch between two screens, each only shows you two fields, and your choice is time/pace, time/distance, time/calories, pace/distance, pace/calories, distance/calories. there's also a virtual pacer

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I wouldn't dismiss this too lightly depending on the type of training you are doing. In general I just use my watch as a record keeper for most of my runs but where I do find it comes in to its own is for track sessions and pyramid sessions and the like. Here you can keep your lap time on the screen and just hit the lap button at the end of each repeat. This way, you can monitor your recoveries and you have a record of your sessions for reference if you want to see how you're progressing over a training cycle. Its amazing the amount of times I've looked back at a session for reference and the the figures in my head have been way off. But the Garmin does not lie:D

There is a run walk mode, and there may be some way of setting it up so the walk bit is the recovery, but I haven't bothered investigating. It might not be possible to alternate running distance and time recoveries

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Are the rumours that you're running the London Marathon true?

Does this mean you'll be pacing me around Donadea in February again?

Clum wrote: »
    Are the rumours that you're running the London Marathon true?

Does this mean you'll be pacing me around Donadea in February again?

Yep, definitely in for London. Flights, hotel and entry all sorted.

And yes I'll head out to Donadea again and run a good portion of it. Will probably be going around the same pace as this year. If that matches your 50k pace then I'll bring a balloon and act as your pacer. I'll even give you a high five at the finish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

And yes I'll head out to Donadea again and run a good portion of it. Will probably be going around the same pace as this year. If that matches your 50k pace then I'll bring a balloon and act as your pacer. I'll even give you a high five at the finish :)

Good man. Worked out fine this year. Although I'm not sure about the high five. I was seeing double coming down the finish straight this year, who knows where a wildly flaying, almost drunk-like attempt at a high five would end up.

New year, new log title. Last one bit me in the arse :)

I was removing and uploading songs onto my MP3 player and noticed that the song most played by a county mile was the coronas' "addicted to progress". Think it's played at the beginning and end of long runs :)

December wasn't a great month. I didn't bother logging here or on paper and I was just ticking by. Rescued the month by squeezing in a couple of longer runs the last 10 days of the month (12,14,16). Psychologically these were inportant because I wanted to hit January been able to run 16-18 miles.

Today I ran 17.5 miles and it was the worse run in a long while. It was horrible when I headed out early this morning and I ran a pretty uninspiring route. Was character building but wasn't too far away from character/soul destroying.

My marathon training starts next week so I'll start logging more regularly then. I'm all signed up for london again and I'm excited with the thoughts of running there again. I obviously have some time goals I'd love to shoot at, but it will be a couple of months before I decide what's a reasonable target, so I'll keep my powder dry regards predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck - looking forward to following your progress :)

Today 6 miles easy at 7.10 pace. Thankfully conditions were better this afternoon then yesterday morning. I was wrecked tired after this run though. Yesterday really did knock the crap out of me. Had a free house for the afternoon so I hit the leaba for some sleep and natural human growth hormone. Was in a coma for two hours and definitely feel better for it.

I forgot to mention that I'm off the booze now until after the marathon. Was out last night with mrs TRR (better not call her mrs turd) and had a couple of soft drinks. I have no tolerance for soft drinks and felt rubbish this morning :)

Also did a bit of online sterotypical January fat bastard shopping yesterday. Needed to buy some new headphones as little Ms TRR broke my last set dancing aound. As well as buying the headphones I bought an electronic scales with body fat % estimation. Won't be here for another few days thankfully. I'd say the first weigh in will be horrific :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Best of luck with the marathon training D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

You're better off having 2-3 glasses of beer than an equivalent volume of soft drinks imo. The tricky part is stopping at that!

best of luck with the new training cycle, I hope you stay healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck with staying off the beer, I'm around Friday for a few if you fancy it ;)

what headphones did you buy......actually, never mind - I know the level of diligence you do with your online purchases.........

what headphones did you buy......actually, never mind - I know the level of diligence you do with your online purchases.........

I'm afraid to ask, but what do you mean?

They were a cheap pair of Sony sports headphones. Bought them from Amazon. They had free postage so that was the deciding factor.

107 days to London marathon

Monday: 10 miles @ 7.03 min/mile pace. Nice handy run along the canal, was quite mild and a little windy but very enjoyable. Legs a little tired from long run but all good apart from that.

Tuesday: 8 miles with 4 of those @ 6 min/mile pace. Met ecoli for this one. Legs felt good and aerobically I felt fine but running a little faster than I have done of late felt odd. Was doing some calculations during the tempo and realised I need to drop 10% of my current body weight to get close to marathon race weight. Have just over 15 weeks to do it so should be grand, I hope :o Reckon the blubber is responsible for me feeling odd on this run :)

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 7.30 min/mile pace. Nice handy run. Little faster than recovery but legs felt very good. Was incredibly windy out but excluding a half mile stretch I seemed to avoid running directly into a head wind.

so far so good. Right IT band must be a bit tight as I'm getting some knee stiffness. I think I'm on top of it though and have reintroduced my nightly stretching/foaming routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Right IT band must be a bit tight as I'm getting some knee stiffness. I think I'm on top of it though and have reintroduced my nightly stretching/foaming routine.

Managing this myself. Think its possible to run the miles/intensity and not have it catch-up with you? I am pain free since Saturday but still be quite cautious! Ecolii will kill me but I still haven't got a foam roller.

What leader are you following? There's a young lad round the 26 stone mark you might checkout. I'm sure Karl Henry will have something for for him regarding the old running :).

What leader are you following? There's a young lad round the 26 stone mark you might checkout. I'm sure Karl Henry will have something for for him regarding the old running :).

I think that kid wants to be fit enough to play GAA

oh come on, surely you can work out the punchline yourself

Managing this myself. Think its possible to run the miles/intensity and not have it catch-up with you? I am pain free since Saturday but still be quite cautious! Ecolii will kill me but I still haven't got a foam roller.

I suppose it all depends how sore it is and if it's potentially causing any other compensatory injuries. Mine was quite sore the day I ran with you but it's much better now. Having said that, I have been running easy since then, volume has been relatively low and I've got my stretch routine back in place. If it's still sore I wouldn't push it. I know you are saying you're pain free now since Saturday but if I recall from your log a couple of weeks back you claimed to be pain free then as well! Might be worth a reread of your own musing :)
    What leader are you following?

I haven't had a good look but seen about 5 minutes of it last night and there was a mad auld one from Wexford on. She has a bar in her house for entertaining guests. I think I'd like her!

I'm afraid to ask, but what do you mean?

They were a cheap pair of Sony sports headphones. Bought them from Amazon. They had free postage so that was the deciding factor.

That's the point I was making :)

• Advertisement

That's the point I was making :)

ah grand, I thought you may have been referring to my industrial sized order of sex lube or my latest blow up doll!

Advertisement