Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    FFS did you ask meno if you could use his picture. That's not very cool man, passing yourself as another boardsie is out of order.

I knew you were going to say that ;)

No, I can confirm that is TRR, he really has let himself go since London.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »
    I knew you were going to say that ;)

No, I can confirm that is TRR, he really has let himself go since London.

We haven't agreed a new wager with TRR since he bottled out of DCM....

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

kit3 wrote: »
    Funny how the internet works - had a completely different picture of you in my head !

If there is one thing you should have learnt this week, it is that you can trust nothing on the internet!
    We haven't agreed a new wager with TRR since he bottled out of DCM....

Very true.

Ok How about the average time for the 3 of you must be 3.39.20 +/- 10 seconds. So basically 3.39.10 to 3.39.30 (inclusive). However you are not allowed to do any mickey dazzling or stalling on the home straight.

You hit your target I buy you guys a pint each.

You miss it, meno and AMK buy me a pint each and Gavlor gives me a kiss on the lips while wearing his Mrs's red lipstick!

I open to some negotiation but I won't budge on the red lipstick!

If there is one thing you should have learnt this week, it is that you can trust nothing on the internet!

Very true.

Ok How about the average time for the 3 of you must be 3.39.20 +/- 10 seconds. So basically 3.39.10 to 3.39.30 (inclusive). However you are not allowed to do any mickey dazzling or stalling on the home straight.

You miss it, meno and AMK buy me a pint each and Gavlor gives me a kiss on the lips while wearing his Mrs's red lipstick!

I'm so sabotaging our time ;)

Very true.

Technically our target is 3:39:30 so our range should be 3:39:20-3:39:40, however last year we all came in at 3:39:50-3:40 cos it's good to slow up a bit at the end and roar people on..... Can we move our Goal to 3:39:40??

3:39:20 is what I would class 'too fast', though Gavlor will probably be happy with anything between 3:30 and 3:40......

• Advertisement

Technically our target is 3:39:30 so our range should be 3:39:20-3:39:40, however last year we all came in at 3:39:50-3:40 cos it's good to slow up a bit at the end and roar people on..... Can we move our Goal to 3:39:40??

3:39:20 is what I would class 'too fast', though Gavlor will probably be happy with anything between 3:30 and 3:40......

9 minutes is f€ck all over 26 miles. Particularly if it's raining.

9 minutes is f€ck all over 26 miles. Particularly if it's raining.

Sounds like you'd be the perfect pacer at the Kuala Lumpar Marathon

http://runwitme.blogspot.ie/2010/07/standard-chartered-kl-marathon-2010.html

Ronnie See (4.00hr Pacer)

1) How far are you from your target finish time? - Came back in 12minutes 14sec. feeling great after 30km, so push a little bit faster.

Lai Fong Sang (4:00 Pacer)

1) How far are you from your target finish time? I was pacer for 4 hours and eventually completed 7 minutes ahead of targeted time. I believed it is still within the acceptable range, 4 hours pacer does not means that must complete exactly 4 hour

Kelvin Ng (5:00 Pacer)

1) How far are you from your target finish time? I was under pressure when I reach 35km mark .. I'm worry I could not reach in 5hrs, I meet John Tan under bridge .. he told me I can make it .. but my leg start to cramp ... after 36km .. I hear Ailing calling back at me"Kelvin I'm coming ..." I was so happy now I can pass my balloon to her ... I said please help me on the balloon ... when I reach at 39km I have a very bad cramp by no choice I have to walk and I start to run back at 41km ... my finishing time is 5hrs 19min .. Thanks Ailing helping me bring back the balloon with her finish at 5hrs 05m
    in

^^^

I order of finish times:

Me
    AMK
    MENO

Nr/chicken sh!t: TRR 1,2 & 3

Edit: @ meno, where do you find this rubbish????

[QUOTE=Gavlor;92656100
    Edit: @ meno, where do you find this rubbish????[/QUOTE]

On the internet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

On the internet :rolleyes:

be quiet, Shawshank is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

^^^

I order of finish times:

Me
    AMK
    MENO

Nr/chicken sh!t: TRR 1,2 & 3

Edit: @ meno, where do you find this rubbish????

It's not a bleedin race...........oh wait....

Ok ill 3.39.40 isn't an issue. It's the slowing on the home stretch to roar people on that's the issue. Some call it encouragement, I call it mickey dazzling. Sure you could be 2 minutes ahead of target and stop for 110 seconds a couple of metres from the finish. That's not been a good pacer. That's been a Cnut ;)

NO MICKEY DAZZLING!

Ok ill 3.39.40 isn't an issue. It's the slowing on the home stretch to roar people on that's the issue. Some call it encouragement, I call it mickey dazzling. Sure you could be 2 minutes ahead of target and stop for 110 seconds a couple of metres from the finish. That's not been a good pacer. That's been a Cnut ;)

NO MICKEY DAZZLING!

Grand so, pacers get elite entries so our finish videos are publically viewable.........amk and gavlor, if we are ahead of schedule we will stop about 800m out before the cameras can spot us ;)

Grand so, pacers get elite entries so our finish videos are publically viewable.........amk and gavlor, if we are ahead of schedule we will stop about 800m out before the cameras can spot us ;)

Feck off. I will be all over that finishing straight like digger on junior cert night at a teenage disco!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The pacers have a job to do - get as many people over the line by 3:39:59.

Our own times are irrelevant - we're here to ensure our group get through it.
    Its not about personal satisfaction, its not about us hitting a time - its about giving back to the running community - its about the bigger picture of community amongst the running population striving to hit their goals with the help of us - the pacers.

Its actually all about the adulation of the group, the fact that they hold us up as running Gods, the spotting and 'helping' the cute girls, the hugs afterwards from said cute girls, the drinks they buy us afterwards.
    Its all about us.
    The 3:40 Gods.

Saturday: 6 miles @ 6.58 pace. Handy short run. Last 2 miles were straight into that bastard wind. Legs feeling good.

Sunday: 9 miles total with 5 * 1200 metre reps with 2.5 minutes recovery. Written down that looks like an easy session due to ample recovery time etc but I found this tough. Donned the xc spikes and ran this with ecoli. He had a suitable loop in mind. It was a bit of a fecker of a loop but served a purpose. First 180-200 metres were slightly uphill and into the wind, next 50 metres were up a bastard 45 degree hill. Once we hit the top of the hill we got an awful smack of a gale force wind in the face. Legs were more or less jelly for the remainder of the lap. Wasn't overly worried about pace but wanted to make sure I finished 5 reps. Times were pretty consistent 4.11,4.11,4.13,4.14,4.13

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Planning to do many more of these type of sessions? Might try and jump in late next month before the intermediates (if you allow me!). I can confirm your athlete is in great nick for next weekend.....gonna run a good one. For a Yank.

Planning to do many more of these type of sessions? Might try and jump in late next month before the intermediates (if you allow me!). I can confirm your athlete is in great nick for next weekend.....gonna run a good one. For a Yank.

Hopefully. Probably either Saturday or Sunday mornings nice and early. I was a bit worried with the 9am start this morning.

As you are well aware ecoli has a reputation for been late or sleeping it in. I sent him a text and he was awake at 8.30am. According to his Facebook profile he is now in a "relationship" (with a woman believe it or not) so maybe he is maturing and becoming more dependable. I'm not sure if his current exile is linked to his new relationship status. I always suspected he was trying to find himself a boyfriend on this site. He seems to have settled for a woman and closed his account! Typical ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

As you are well aware ecoli has a reputation for been late or sleeping it in. I sent him a text and he was awake at 8.30am. According to his Facebook profile he is now in a "relationship" (with a woman believe it or not) so maybe he is maturing and becoming more dependable. I'm not sure if his current exile is linked to his new relationship status. I always suspected he was trying to find himself a boyfriend on this site. He seems to have settled for a woman and closed his account! Typical ;)

Might have got rid of him on the site, but no chance he'll leave the country now. Yer stuck with him!

Monday: 7 handy miles along the canal. No watch but was nice and handy. Legs feeling good overall but I must have twisted or jarred my left knee slightly on the Sunday session. A little sore but not a major worry

Tuesday: 8 miles along the canal. No watch again so have no idea of the pace but was moving at a decent enough clip. Got the full brunt of the tail end of that storm or whatever it was categorised as. Feeling good. Knee slightly better.

Wednesday: 9 miles total including a pyramid of 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 minutes on, 1 minute easy jog between. Knee perfecto and felt really fresh going into this session. I was knackered last night so went to bed early and the 10.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep did wonders. Found this tough (as usual). I normally have company for this session and although we are all at different levels. I take some corners wide, they cut some others so we always finish in close proximity to one another. To be honest I find this a great help as I wouldn't do this session alone and the banter (me generally taking the piss out of them :)) during recovery takes your mind off the reps. I find it hard to do solo sessions when I don't have a major goal race on the horizon. Anyway, this served a purpose and the majority of reps were on grass. The last 3 we popped back onto the footpath and ran the last 30 seconds of each rep really hard. Just to try and simulate the lactic burn at the end of a 5k. It worked :)

Would really recommend this session to anyone trying to pop out a 5k or 10k. I never bother looking at the pace and have gone from 15 minutes hard running to 25 minutes in a matter of weeks so it's gentle progression stuff.

Will try and fit a 12 mile run in this week and also plan on doing another hard session on Saturday. Plan at the moment is for a park run in or around 17 minutes followed by 6 or so 150 metre bursts. Session of 1k or mile reps would be more beneficial but I need the focus of heading to a park run to keep me off the beer Friday night, a planned session wouldn't do that :)

• Advertisement

Will you have your beer boots on Monday??

Will you have your beer boots on Monday??

Yep hope so. That's why I'm doing the parkrun. Trying to save myself for Monday. Have also agreed to give my folks a lift to the airport at the crack of dawn Sunday morning so that will keep me on the straight and narrow Saturday night. One day at a time and all that ;) I'm starting to sound like an alcoholic!

Yep hope so. That's why I'm doing the parkrun. Trying to save myself for Monday. Have also agreed to give my folks a lift to the airport at the crack of dawn Sunday morning so that will keep me on the straight and narrow Saturday night. One day at a time and all that ;) I'm starting to sound like an alcoholic!

Nah you're grand. A proper alcoholic would be heading to bed late on a oWednesday night having argued with the wonderful staff at the river lee hotel about the stupid uncontrollable aircon in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ah sure, only hogging parkrun glory ya are at this stage!! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    Ah sure, only hogging parkrun glory ya are at this stage!! ;)

Ha, that's what I've resorted to. Running parkruns the weekend of the national marathon to ensure I get a first place finish! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I know you have a low opinion of the Pacer hero's, considering them lazy, overweight, smug, etc... please burn this image to your brain. By the way, those bright orange lock laces are available in all good Tri stores... ;)

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-d5ro4LqF0gQ/VFDkLfc0kbI/AAAAAAAABOc/aPg4nFhA-Ss/s400/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-29%20at%2012.54.43.png" height="400" width="267"[/IMG]

You're a fcuking disgrace. I'm going to petition a mod to delete that **** from my log.

By the way if you are thinking of passing the pacing mentor torch on, I'm your man. Can you imagine my prerace team talk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Tuesday: 6 miles @ 7.11 pace. Legs feeling absolutely great. Wanted to do more but I've decided to keep my mileage below 60 miles a week until January. I also intend to take an very easy day after a day of longer miles or a hard session. Did a good portion of this on grass. Body feels great at the moment. First time in about 10 months where I can go to bed and not wake up with pain if I move etc.

Wednesday: 8 miles with pyramid. reps were 1-2-3-3-5-3-3-2-1 minutes with 1 minute jog recovery. This was nearly completely on grass. Plenty of rain recently so ground was heavy going. Did the last 2 on the footpath just to get a bit of speed into the legs. Really hammered these two. I'm loving this session at the moment. I don't bother tracking paces and just run off effort. I mentioned after the novice that I was missing a couple of gears. Well I think I've found one of them and will look at doing some short sharp reps in a couple of weeks to reintroduce some 5k speed.
    Hi TRR,
    Would I be right in thinking that pace for this type of session should be between 3k and 5k pace?
    Thanks.
    PB

paddybarry wrote: »
    Hi TRR,
    Would I be right in thinking that pace for this type of session should be between 3k and 5k pace?
    Thanks.
    PB

Hi PB

No where 3 or 5k pace at the moment. I don't bother looking at the pace but the couple of times I've had a sly look it would be around 10k-10 mile pace at best. I do this mostly on grass so that is a factor too. If I was fully fit and doing this as a proper session I'd expect the shorter reps (1-3 minutes) to be around 5k pace or maybe slightly faster for the 1 minute rep for example. The longer reps 4&5 minutes would be around 10k pace.

Hope that answers your question but at the moment I'm more interested in the effort levels and this session fits in perfectly. Bit of leg turn over, no stress regards pace, bit of strength from the soft ground etc. To be honest when heading out to do it, it doesn't have the hard work associated with it that a session of km or miles would have

• Advertisement

This is going to be a very incomplete update.

Weekend of DCM I ran Tymon parkun in 17.2X. Was disgusted, was aiming to sub 17 and effort levels were at 16.4x but just ran like a $hitehawk. Sunday and Monday and then Wednesday for an hour. I was away in Spain for a few days for a bit of RnR and I just basically slept most of the time. Rest of the week was a write off in running terms.

Following week I managed close to 60 miles with the highlight been a 14 mile run on Friday and a handy park run in 17.5x. Was very happy with this because I was just cursing around on tired legs.

Last week I was up to my nuts in work and at home and managed to squeeze in 55 miles but nothing quality at all. Ran 12 miles Friday and an hour Saturday and Sunday. These were total bonus runs, I had written the weekend off because we had a lot on but managed to haul my ass out of bed early to get them done. Something I hate doing.

I'm an all or nothing kind of person and I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself for any races before Christmas as they aren't major goals. I have a plan for the new year and am living the good life a little too much at the moment. I'm still fit enough but am about a stone over my racing weight. It's not a major concern because I plan on really focusing for London in April. I can suffer from mental fatigue in a marathon cycle so while I'm glad I'm not too focused on anything at the moment, I probably should be a little more disciplined. I'm basically ticking over and I think I'd be happy with where I'm at, except for the fact I'm running the Waterford half marathon. I expect to get my (fat) arse handed to me on a plate and this is kind of annoying me.

Anyway, I'll put my violin away for the moment. Updates will be sparse before the new year

Advertisement