Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

d51984 wrote: »
    Canceled my prime today, just cant see the benefit anymore.

I'll keep an eye on Amazon to see if anything gets better over the next few weeks, doubt it though.

You're just going to lose out, especially for anything under 22 euro.
    Apart from that, it seems you're a half glass full type. Brexit has just kicked in and we're witnessing the effects as reasonably expected. The only downside appears to be initially delayed deliveries.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from restarting prime, but for me, I'll keep ordering and saving money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Apart from that, it seems you're a half glass full type. Brexit has just kicked in and we're witnessing the effects as reasonably expected. The only downside appears to be initially delayed deliveries.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from restarting prime, but for me, I'll keep ordering and saving money.

Its not the only thing, a load of stuff is no longer shipped to Ireland (low value grocery items).

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

But that's the biggest benefit of prime. Saved me this Christmas anyway!

Really hope it settles down and back to normal but can't see it with customs checks needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

corkie wrote: »
    Amazon.com maybe a cost effective alternative for similar products?

On orders Fulfilled by Amazon.

Example (Non Prime account): -

.co.UK: - USB Flash Drive 128GB Lio SHAAR Type-C Flash Drive ~~~ EUR 28.81 free delivery 22 Jan.

.com: - USB 3.0 Flash Drive, 128GB Thumb Drive, High Speed Memory Stick ~~~ EUR 28.71 Arriving Jan 19 - Jan 25 with coupon offered on amazon.

Compare prices across eu not including shipping costs?

Edit: - I'm aware you could get similar cheaper on the slow boat from china from the likes of aliexpress.
    Surely you'll be caught by revenue if coming from US?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The US one is $42.57 including import fees etc, so about €34.50-ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭corkie

Surely you'll be caught by revenue if coming from US?

Like shopping on .co.uk

About Import Fees Deposit

Above are calculated on check out, above prices include that charge.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    The US one is $42.57 including import fees etc, so about €34.50-ish.
    There is a 30% coupon on the item, that is why I got it for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Tiny package ordered, under €20..first Amazon order of 2021.
    Ordered Jan 4
    Dispatched Jan 6
    'Wednesday, 6 January
    11:46 AM
    Package arrived at an Amazon facility
    Rochester, Medway GB'

Still says ETA Jan 15, would be curious to see what steps happen between now and then or if I'll have it by end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

5 out of my 5 orders from last week were dispatched on Saturday with AnPost on Sunday after customs cleared letting me know that it will take up to 3 working days to get delivered into my home in Cork.

Today 2 came via letter carrier and 1 via the parcel guy.

The other 2 are still in Dublin as per tracker.

For all 5 Amazon showed next week Monday as delivery date until this morning when it changed for the 3 that are here to will deliver today.

AnPost is the bottle neck here but with the volume, Wuhan virus and now snow no wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

5 out of my 5 orders from last week were dispatched on Saturday with AnPost on Sunday after customs cleared letting me know that it will take up to 3 working days to get delivered into my home in Cork.

Today 2 came via letter carrier and 1 via the parcel guy.

The other 2 are still in Dublin as per tracker.

For all 5 Amazon showed next week Monday as delivery date until this morning when it changed for the 3 that are here to will deliver today.

AnPost is the bottle neck here but with the volume, Wuhan virus and now snow no wonder.

Did you do separate orders ?
    Did any arrive in the same package bringing the package value over €22?
    If so - was it shown ob the customs label ?
    I assume An Post weren't bothered about unpaid VAT ?

Thanks

Ogham wrote: »
    Did you do separate orders ?
    Did any arrive in the same package bringing the package value over €22?
    If so - was it shown ob the customs label ?
    I assume An Post weren't bothered about unpaid VAT ?

Thanks

All separate orders via prime free shipping.

3 of them had more than one item but total under 22€.

Customs form showed the money paid (after vouchers and discounts) and had high level merchandise code and name on it.

Customs clearance came on Saturday as first tracking acutely.

The postman just delivered it to the normal point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

All separate orders via prime free shipping.

3 of them had more than one item but total under 22€.

Customs form showed the money paid (after vouchers and discounts) and had high level merchandise code and name on it.

Customs clearance came on Saturday as first tracking acutely.

The postman just delivered it to the normal point.

I wonder if the splitting was coincidental or was each parcel kept under €22 on purpose? (That would be expecting too much of the packers :) )

Ogham wrote: »
    I wonder if the splitting was coincidental or was each parcel kept under €22 on purpose? (That would be expecting too much of the packers :) )

I like to save some money and pay enough taxes so obviously I ordered on purpose under the VAT threshold.

Once they take that away in June obviously I have to shop elsewhere or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭PreCocious

whiterebel wrote: »
    They are all hazardous no matter in a device or loose. If there is any likelihood of going on a plane its more likely they won't ship it. Li batteries don't need rough handling to go on fire.

Yes, but my point is that they will ship devices with inbuilt batteries as distinct from just battery packs so there is a difference in how they handle shipping of these hazardous devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

Shlippery wrote: »
    Tiny package ordered, under €20..first Amazon order of 2021.
    Ordered Jan 4
    Dispatched Jan 6

Still says ETA Jan 15, would be curious to see what steps happen between now and then or if I'll have it by end of the week.

I ordered 3 items with Amazon on 31/12. Checked out of curiosity to see the tracking update on 03/01 & it said 'undeliverable' - got no email about this.

Ordered again on 03/01 but did them separately because of the VAT. Said they were being delivered on 11/01.
    Got an update to say they'll be delivered on 15/01 now. :rolleyes:

Prime customer btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Similar experiece to the above posts, ordered on the 4th, shipped today (6th), delivery has been pushed back to the 15th (from the 13th originally.

However Yggr of Asgard's post above gives me hope that this is innacurate and will come a lot sooner.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Similar experiece to the above posts, ordered on the 4th, shipped today (6th), delivery has been pushed back to the 15th (from the 13th originally.

However Yggr of Asgard's post above gives me hope that this is innacurate and will come a lot sooner.

I am with you there, my outstanding orders all show very strange dates on Amazon and AnPost has some lack of scans for days, so hopefully once the x-mas backlog is over and AnPost is back to normal we should see this improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, i'm in no rush for what I ordered, it was more of an experimental £9 utility knife I saw in the bargain alerts forum to see how good my Prime is pre vs post Brexit.

I've £200 in Amazon UK credit that i'd like to put towards a camera lens...so want to hold off til I know things are safe enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

I ordered an electronic item on Amazon.co.uk about three days ago. Delivery was quoted as up to January 18th.

Just arrived this afternoon which is probably the quickest delivery ever :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    With Brexit, moving to Amazon germany, so .de. Used the them before fine sometimes faster.

Am thinking about buying prime for my .de account, never had prime before. Hoping I get 100% free shipping and the odd discount. Says 69/year so about 8 purchases and I will have 'saved' on the shipping costs.

Anyone else use prime on .de? Any hidden issues things I should be aware of ? I know it's free for a montht to try, but just asking.

I buy from both all the time. German products are often cheaper from de, the post cost covers multiple items so not per item, buying 5 items (depending on weight and sent in one order) can work out really good value. German tools can be 20% cheaper than same tools on UK even with vat differences.
    likewise UK tools cheaper from UK than de

Just bought something from uk, listed as €26.56 and charged €27.36
    so no difference as there has always been a small extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tobeme2020

I was looking to purchase an item here in Ireland which is over 450-500e. I can get it on amazon UK for 250 sterling plus 35 postage. Its a nice saving bit if I purchase it from the UK, will I now have to pay an additional 21% vat on top and if I do, how do I go about doing this. Does Irish customers hold it until I phone up or does the seller pay it for me on request.

• Advertisement

tobeme2020 wrote: »
    I was looking to purchase an item here in Ireland which is over 450-500e. I can get it on amazon UK for 250 sterling plus 35 postage. Its a nice saving bit if I purchase it from the UK, will I now have to pay an additional 21% vat on top and if I do, how do I go about doing this. Does Irish customers hold it until I phone up or does the seller pay it for me on request.

Have you a link?

Have a look at the 'Import fee deposit', if it is fulfilled by Amazon, UK Vat should be taken off and Irish VAT Added.

If it is a third party seller and not supplied from UK/EU you could get caught for custom duties as well.

Have you a link?

Have a look at the 'Import fee deposit', if it is fulfilled by Amazon, UK Vat should be taken off and Irish VAT Added.

If it is a third party seller and not supplied from UK/EU you could get caught for custom duties as well.

Here's a different one from another seller.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nassboards-Linear-Wetroom-Complete-System/dp/B07XLPNVGB/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Wet+tray&qid=1610035136&sr=8-5

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

No point in linking from the seller you're not using.
    Check the one you are using to see if it's fulfilled by amazon.

Seller info: - Nassboards are a established UK Business Trading for over 4 years in the Wetroom Industry. We have at any one time £1million in stock waiting for your order to be shipped.

Amazon not applying Irish VAT on that item, so you would probably have to pay 21% (€66 €56 ) on delivery here?
    EUR 264.85 €220.00 + EUR 49.65 delivery

Figures edited because not charging UK VAT but question is would there be duties (+Vat on same) due as well here + handling fee by AnPost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

They're charging it without UK VAT (20%) at the checkout so you'd have to pay Irish VAT on arrival.

Seller info: - Nassboards are a established UK Business Trading for over 4 years in the Wetroom Industry. We have at any one time £1million in stock waiting for your order to be shipped.

Amazon not applying Irish VAT on that item, so you would probably have to pay 21% (€66 €56 ) on delivery here?
    EUR 264.85 €220.00 + EUR 49.65 delivery

Figures edited because not charging UK VAT but question is would there be duties (+Vat on same) due as well here + handling fee by AnPost?

I don't understand. Do I not pay UK vat then when it comes to Ireland I only pay Irish vat.

Is the UK vat in the original price then gets deducted then Irish vat added. I was hoping to order in the afternoon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I don't understand. Do I not pay UK vat then when it comes to Ireland I only pay Irish vat.

That link you provided removed UK VAT and didn't add Irish VAT
    Is the UK vat in the original price

Yes, then removed when you go to pay.
    then gets deducted then Irish vat added.

Yes, it gets deducted, but no Irish VAT is added.

You will have to pay it before it gets delivered.

F1ngers wrote: »
    That link you provided removed UK VAT and didn't add Irish VAT

Yes, then removed when you go to pay.

Yes, it gets deducted, but no Irish VAT is added.

You will have to pay it before it gets delivered.

Do I pay the seller or the Irish customs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It depends on how they send it. Nobody can tell from the link you put up, because each seller may be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Some delivery date shenanigans: I ordered an item on Monday that said priority shipping and delivery on Monday 11. They quietly changed that delivery date to Monday 18 and there's nothing on the tracking to indicate that the date changed. The original order email is the only evidence I have that I'm not losing my mind!

Advertisement