Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Correct.

Hopefully on the delivery times, I had thought it was due to customs checks but stuff isn't even being dispatched within 24 hours like pre 1/1/21

Custom is cleared in seconds if they right paperwork is submitted electronically which in case of Amazon it is.

The issue here is that the goods are not dispatched for days and (outside Dublin) AnPost is now taking days to deliver, no longer 48 hours express.

I have goods for 5 days in Dublin now crawling their way to Cork.

So, unless Amazon starts shipping again in reasonable times (and by now the backlog from the holidays surely must be gone) and AnPost gets back to normal shipping times (or at least reasonable) paying for Prime might not be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Shlippery wrote: »
    Tiny package ordered, under €20..first Amazon order of 2021.
    Ordered Jan 4
    Dispatched Jan 6

Still says ETA Jan 15, would be curious to see what steps happen between now and then or if I'll have it by end of the week.

Out for Delivery Today. [Dublin, by Amazon]

So... 4th-11th, not great, not awful.

Have another item ordered..due the 25th. Perhaps it'll improve from here on out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I don't know if I'm just especially unlucky but most of the things I buy regularly no longer ship here. I have ordered 2 small items since Brexit kicked it - one on 1st of January and one on 6th of January, neither are due to arrive until next week. I'm in Dublin so deliveries before Christmas were 1-3 days.

The quick delivery was brilliant during previous lockdowns but Amazon are no use now if I'm stuck for something. I'm really surprised they didn't sort something better out for the Irish market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Who's ordering with Amazon.De these days? I stopped using the UK website cos I couldn't get a lot of items.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Who's ordering with Amazon.De these days? I stopped using the UK website cos I couldn't get a lot of items.

I had use .de in the past to get some items that the .uk wouldn't have, or it was cheaper. The only downside is the shipping, as there's no away to avoid that (even with prime DE).

For the delivery, I had both Amazon and An Post delivering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Custom is cleared in seconds if they right paperwork is submitted electronically which in case of Amazon it is.

Spoken like someone who has never done a customs clearance in their life

Assumptions can be dangerous.

Have you seen any custom delays for Amazon Parcels?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

So if I buy something for £200 from Amazon uk, will I be charged duty when it arrives?

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    So if I buy something for £200 from Amazon uk, will I be charged duty when it arrives?

If you purchase it from Amazon themselves (i.e not marketplace) during checkout you will be told about the relevant import charges and they will charge you the appropriate amount there an than. Parcel comes as normal with no additional charges.

That is unless Customs disagrees with their calculation and wants more.

If you purchase it from Amazon themselves (i.e not marketplace) during checkout you will be told about the relevant import charges and they will charge you the appropriate amount there an than. Parcel comes as normal with no additional charges.

That is unless Customs disagrees with their calculation and wants more.

Lovely, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »

In addition to what Yggr posted above, the vast majority of items over £150 do not haave customs applied to them as per the "free" Trade Deal agreed with the EU & the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

The issue here is that the goods are not dispatched for days and (outside Dublin) AnPost is now taking days to deliver, no longer 48 hours express.

I have goods for 5 days in Dublin now crawling their way to Cork.

So, unless Amazon starts shipping again in reasonable times (and by now the backlog from the holidays surely must be gone) and AnPost gets back to normal shipping times (or at least reasonable) paying for Prime might not be worth it.

Is that not a bit of a contradiction though? Amazons deliveries to Ireland have all been significantly delayed going from a situation even during the run up to Christmas where I would receive my package in 2-3 days and you say that the holiday backlog must surely now be over.

If the customs/brexit issues aren't holding up Amazon from dispatching, then what is?

1huge1 wrote: »
    In addition to what Yggr posted above, the vast majority of items over £150 do not haave customs applied to them as per the "free" Trade Deal agreed with the EU & the UK.

Thank you, that's really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

UK customs is slowing down Amazon deliveries as indicated by parcel tracking. While the actual customs clearance has been recorded to have taken only 20 mins for my most recent order, the extra stop took more than 2 work days altogether (and 2 weekend days, though I am not sure if Amazon couriers still deliver at the weekend or if that was temporary just for Christmas?). I suppose Amazon have been told that the capacities are insufficient right now and they are deliberately slowing down deliveries until customs ramp up their processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

Amazon packages from Germany/Poland (both from Amazon DE and UK) are arriving faster for me than ones from the UK. For the most part UK shipped orders are dispatched within 1-3 days but they are taking a long time after that. One order was dispatched last Monday (4th) and is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Could well be submitted electronically now. Just got a Boots Ireland order from the UK. Got an email saying it was delayed while UPS sent it back to boots for the correct labelling. It just arrived. The only thing I can see additional to the original standard address label is another new barcode stuck on it. Probably tells UPS that this item has no vat or duty pending. No value listed or declared on it outside, unlike the Amazon orders.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm due a package today that was shipped the 2nd. Although it's still at Merseyside since the 5th, so I'm very doubtful that it will arrive....!

I don't think the delays are down to custom delays, the delay was in the warehouse getting it out for me there by 1 week and then with AnPost (at least for parcels not so much for letter items).

Saturday 2 January 10:12 PM - Customs clearance initiated
    Saturday 2 January 10:13 PM - Customs completed
    Sunday 3 January 3:26 PM - Parcel arrived at carrier facility in Dublin
    Wednesday 06 January 6:57 AM - Out for Delivery Cork City

Nearly normal for a prime item but delayed in Dublin (this came via the postal carrier not the courier).

The delays that I see are for those items with the parcel courier from AnPost rather than the postman that brings letters:

Saturday 2 January 10:12 PM - Customs clearance initiated
    Saturday 2 January 10:13 PM - Customs completed
    Sunday 3 January 5:18 PM - Parcel arrived at carrier facility in Dublin
    Thursday 07 January 08:44 AM - Out for delivery

AnPost for that one send a text on Sunday telling me it will be delivered within 3 business days.

The delays are down to AnPost at least on the surface.

Is that not a bit of a contradiction though? Amazons deliveries to Ireland have all been significantly delayed going from a situation even during the run up to Christmas where I would receive my package in 2-3 days and you say that the holiday backlog must surely now be over.

If the customs/brexit issues aren't holding up Amazon from dispatching, then what is?

Most of my orders last week have been dispatched within 4 days (which is still too long for prime), but they went out of the door, now those hang in Dublin with AnPost. Parcels take 4-5 days to come down from Dublin with AnPost.

But it's not only Amazon that has this issue, I ordered something from an Irish Retailer based in Dublin. They shipped AnPost Express Post (supposed to be here next day) which took 2 days.

I think AnPost just has a bad start to the year coupled with Amazon not dispatching as quickly as they used to (for some reason, which might well be related to the electronic paperwork needed for customs) and this coupled together is making the delivery take so long.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yggr of Asgard, there is definitely something weird going on with amazon.co.uk

I've Prime and in Dublin. Before Christmas it was taking just two days from ordering to delivery (by Amazon logistics).

Now, I did a test order of a Prime item, ordered on the 7th and it only dispatched yesterday, the 10th and it is still in the UK today. That is 3 day's to dispatch and still no sign of delivery, it says delivery by the 20th.

It is looking like it is taking significantly slower to deliver now then previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭feelings

I am seeing exactly the same delay. I have prime and estimated delivery dates for items appear to be all last week of Jan. Delivery dates had been 1-2 days before Christmas for similar items.
    bk wrote: »
    Yggr of Asgard, there is definitely something weird going on with amazon.co.uk

I've Prime and in Dublin. Before Christmas it was taking just two days from ordering to delivery (by Amazon logistics).

Now, I did a test order of a Prime item, ordered on the 7th and it only dispatched yesterday, the 10th and it is still in the UK today. That is 3 day's to dispatch and still no sign of delivery, it says delivery by the 20th.

It is looking like it is taking significantly slower to deliver now then previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I am still wondering about Amazon UK orders coming here from an EU warehouse - it shouldn't really be liable for duty.

S0 - the question is - Has anyone placed an order for more than €150 on Amazon UK where duty was charged along with the import VAT?
    If yes - then did it come from an EU warehouse and if so did Amazon refund the duty that was charged ?

I realise many orders made since Jan 1st are still on the way - but it would be nice to know how they are treated for import duty when they arrive.

Thanks

I think AnPost is reading this thread, all my packages that were stuck for days in Dublin are suddenly out of delivery this afternoon.

I got a bunch of notifications of scans at 1300 in the local parcel office that my stuff is out for delivery after the parcels being in Dublin for days.

There is clearly something wrong with both Amazon and AnPost, no question asked, let's hope both are returning to some sort of normal soon. I just moved and needs loads of stuff ;-)

I ordered some stuff on the 5th and the delivery date is the 22nd.
    Hasnt even shipped yet

Assuming the goods are of UK origin

MBSnr wrote: »
    Could well be submitted electronically now. Just got a Boots Ireland order from the UK. Got an email saying it was delayed while UPS sent it back to boots for the correct labelling. It just arrived. The only thing I can see additional to the original standard address label is another new barcode stuck on it. Probably tells UPS that this item has no vat or duty pending. No value listed or declared on it outside, unlike the Amazon orders.

A label on a box is not a customs clearance.. Its a short declaration of what's in the box to facilitate the customs clearance procedure..

But would think boots are collecting VAT on behalf of IE revenue and the declaration declares it as VAT paid or similar

Assumptions can be dangerous.

Have you seen any custom delays for Amazon Parcels?

Not personally as I have made a conscious decision to avoid Amazon and all other sites that are trying to serve Ireland with UK based fulfilment..

But do tell me, how are you able to do a full customs clearance process in seconds? A lot of people in the freight industry would love to talk to you if that's true

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

I ordered two test items; 1st & 4th (both <> 7 GBP), both dispatched very wee hours Thursday morning last week ,one came from Germany and at last report left a facility in France last Friday afternoon, the other initialed customs clearance in Rochester at 2.47PM on Friday. Neither has been updated since ! One due for delivery on Friday, the other the 18th. Happy Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

A DVD I ordered three days ago was dispatched today with UPS. The delivery date on Amazon is still showing as 19 January. However I checked the UPS site and it has been shipped from Spain with UPS Express Saver. It's due to be delivered tomorrow.

It seems very uneconomical to be using express air freight for an £8 DVD but I'm not complaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

A label on a box is not a customs clearance.. Its a short declaration of what's in the box to facilitate the customs clearance procedure..

But would think boots are collecting VAT on behalf of IE revenue and the declaration declares it as VAT paid or similar

Which means it's done electronically right? You seem to think otherwise?
    No need to analyse the box contents. So I would assume the courier and by extension the Irish customs/revenue accepts what is described as being in the box (I surmise that Amazon, Boots etc are trusted sellers to do this) is actually what's in the box. Therefore it's ok to ship without VAT/Duty payable on arrival and the scan is accepted as proof of contents.
    Then again I could be incorrect in my assumption of the above.

Yes Irish VAT paid on the Boots order.

Advertisement