Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Song Sung By A Woman.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah I see what Zaph is saying. If a song doesn't catch me in the first minute or so I lose all interest in it. And that might seem superficial but there's a lot of music out there and I only have time for ones that don't take 14 minutes to get interesting etc etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'd not give zeros either. If only because it then becomes a 21 point scale instead of a 20 point scale. Makes no sense. If something is really bad it'll get 1. But barring the sound of a cat fight or something, I can't imagine any song even getting that low, even if it's not to my particular taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I would have a similar approach of avoiding zeros - unless it is a hip hop or heavy/thrash metal song.
    I have a 2 in this round and had a couple of 3's in the first round.

But if you don't like a song, I don't understand why you'd give it points.

Maybe it's because I'm rating everything from 0-5 and multiplying by 4, if I don't like a song at all there's much less wiggle room.

There's 300+ songs that need to be whittled down, to 128 (I'm guessing), for the head-to-heads, so no point holding back, ya know.

I have no problem giving every song in one of the groups 20 points if I really really like them all, so its not handing out 0's just for the sake of it, there just happens to be some songs I really don't like personally.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'd not give zeros either. If only because it then becomes a 21 point scale instead of a 20 point scale. Makes no sense. If something is really bad it'll get 1. But barring the sound of a cat fight or something, I can't imagine any song even getting that low, even if it's not to my particular taste.

Maybe not cat fights but...

:pac::pac:

Necro wrote: »

That'd get 20 points from me easily. I prefer it to the original version. :D

• Advertisement

Still as funny as the first time I heard it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Don't speak ill of one of my nominations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

tumblr_navr43GgzW1qf9mevo1_r1_500.gif

I actually love Tay Tay but that remix just cracks me up something fierce :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

One thing I will say for Swifty, since she has got famous every Tom, Dick and Harriet has tried to start an online feud with her at some stage but she never rises to the bait. It is refreshing to see in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I swear that is Kirk Hammet beside her just at the end :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

But if you don't like a song, I don't understand why you'd give it points.

Once everyone's consistent day to day it doesn't make much odds I don't think. For me though, I like having room in my scale. Even for songs I really don't like, I believe there's a chance there's worse out there so like to have space to put them! So far for me, one zero in 50 songs. And one twenty, aside from my clearly biased scoring of my own nominations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Is Roy Orbison I drove all night possibly the best cover ever? Step aside Nirvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Kolido wrote: »
    Is Roy Orbison I drove all night possibly the best cover ever? Step aside Nirvana.
    I didn't even know it was a cover until I heard this other verison

ShaneU wrote: »
    I didn't even know it was a cover until I heard this other verison

He was actually the first to record it, but not the first to release it. I think it counts as his song though

Once everyone's consistent day to day it doesn't make much odds I don't think. For me though, I like having room in my scale. Even for songs I really don't like, I believe there's a chance there's worse out there so like to have space to put them! So far for me, one zero in 50 songs. And one twenty, aside from my clearly biased scoring of my own nominations

Yes, I agree, as long as we're all consistent in our own ratings, it should all work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,374 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Gonna be honest, I prefer Celine Dion's version of I Drove All Night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

ShaneU wrote: »
    Strawberry if anyone gives one of my noms a zero I want a list of names for my block list :D

You nominated Abba - you have your first blacklist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

At the end of the day it's all about your taste in music - I have given some artists zero based on the fact that I wouldn't rate their song very highly and it's the Greatest Song not the greatest voice - I'm sure some of my choices will be given a few zeros too - (only a few and perhaps only one hasty choice)

I don't share a love for ABBA at all, I always thought they are the sort of group who played to and for the masses - but I am sure they'll do well because there were some well written songs in their armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Pretzill wrote: »
    At the end of the day it's all about your taste in music - I have given some artists zero based on the fact that I wouldn't rate their song very highly and it's the Greatest Song not the greatest voice - I'm sure some of my choices will be given a few zeros too - (only a few and perhaps only one hasty choice)

I don't share a love for ABBA at all, I always thought they are the sort of group who played to and for the masses - but I am sure they'll do well because there were some well written songs in their armour.

You say that like it's a bad thing. . .
    anyway, I will be on the ABBA side, full points and all!! :)

• Advertisement

I never heard of Ward Thomas before and I've heard of them twice in the last few days. Deffo a duo I'm going to check out some more

I never heard of Ward Thomas before and I've heard of them twice in the last few days. Deffo a duo I'm going to check out some more

I'm guilty for both of those instances... :D

Part 3

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6GHsAneWJoSVVG4dbe1siJ?si=89OCdUWMSbyUNuPwG27L5g

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOF8MMEgcF4loXdHX5FJ6Gl4ktoe3vJEV

Can the Circle be unbroken - Sarah Carter
    Innocent Eyes - Delta Goodrem
    Channel Z - The B-52s
    Chandelier - Sia
    Little Star - Stina Nordenstam
    Shine - Cyndi Lauper
    Big Time Sensuality - Bjork
    It's All Coming Back to Me Now - Celine Dion
    Be My Baby - The Ronettes
    Express Yourself - Madonna
    Hold On - Alabama Shakes
    Dancing queen - cher
    The Best Is Yet To Come - Aoife Ni Fhearraigh
    Barcelona - Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Cabelle
    No scrubs - TLC
    Dreams - The Cranberries
    Whenever, Wherever - Shakira
    The Climb - Miley Cyrus
    Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
    Heatwave - Martha & The Vandellas
    Small blue thing - Suzanne Vega
    To Love Somebody - Nina Simone
    Ode to my family - The Cranberries
    Dream A Little Dream Of Me - The Mamas & the Papas
    Million Reasons - Lady Gaga
    Foggy Dew - Sinead O'Connor

Group 3 Ratings Submitted... Some really good ones in here, but also more than a few that just weren't my cup of tea...

Some Stats for Anyone Who's Interested in the Numbers

Points for this Group:
    5 Songs got 20 Points (2 of which I had nominated)
    3 Songs got 16 Points
    3 Songs got 12 Points
    4 Songs got 8 Points
    2 Songs got 4 Points
    9 Songs got 0 Points

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've 2 rounds submitted and am using an even number of points system.
    Combined awards after 2 rounds.

Rating #
    0 3
    4 4
    6 4
    8 5
    10 3
    12 5
    14 5
    16 12
    18 5
    20 4

an improvement for round 3!

I now think I may have been too generous with my marks earlier!!

Just going back to yesterdays discussion. How would one rate a song that you personally hate and would turn off the radio if it came on but from a rational point, you know its a decent song. Wonderwall is an example for me, I personally hate it, but I know its a good song, I would hesitate giving it a zero, it wouldnt be a fair rating imo..

Just going back to yesterdays discussion. How would one rate a song that you personally hate and would turn off the radio if it came on but from a rational point, you know its a decent song. Wonderwall is an example for me, I personally hate it, but I know its a good song, I would hesitate giving it a zero, it wouldnt be a fair rating imo..

I'm trying my best to be objective, but obviously it's tricky

Best example is You're So Vain. I don't even know why but I hate it, but I gave it 12 because I get that it is good

• Advertisement

Bah. My noms are like buses. You wait two parts for them to show up then BAM, three all at once!

Advertisement