Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Song Sung By A Woman.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Currently about 3/4 of the way through, there's only song so far I'd say that I actually dislike (as opposed to a few which I was just indifferent to), and even that's getting 2 points from me at the moment (1 out of 10 doubled, as per the Kolido system).

I might revise at the end though and round scores down depending on range (e.g. 0-2 gets 0 points, 4-6 gets 4 points,....,16-18 gets 16 points and a perfect 20 gets a 20.) I don't want to be overly generous, since everyone else is being so mean! :P

It feels bad to be giving 0 to some songs, there's only 2 I don't like at all, but I think we're gonna have to be ruthless to narrow it down...

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Except for the ones I already knew, they're all starting to merge in to one for me. Guaranteed, I won't remember having listened to most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I pm'd you back my ratings Strawbs - I was harsher on some of them because I'm thinking greatest song all the time... so only 1 got full marks from me but some great tracks in that line-up.

Question on one of the entries:

The Spotify playlist version of Sing It Back by Moloko is different to the one on the Youtube playlist; the latter is the "dancey" version that most people would be familiar with, can we confirm if that's the one that was submitted?

Personally I actually much prefer the "non-dancey" version that's on Spotify, so I'd score that one higher if it's what was actually submitted!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The Spotify playlist version of Sing It Back by Moloko is different to the one on the Youtube playlist; the latter is the "dancey" version that most people would be familiar with, can we confirm if that's the one that was submitted?

Personally I actually much prefer the "non-dancey" version that's on Spotify, so I'd score that one higher if it's what was actually submitted!

tenor.gif?itemid=16551889

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Well I intended to submit the dance version

ShaneU wrote: »

Thanks, I assumed it would be alright but I really liked that other version a lot more so wanted to be sure first.

Sorry. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Done. Scores ranged from 6 to 18.

Average: 12.32.

2 scored 18/20
    1 scored 6/20

I'd be shocked if Nightwish and The Dark Element weren't submitted by the same person

Really like the Gillian Welch song

Just find both versions yerself and score based on the one you lie best :D

• Advertisement

What ^^^^ he said.

Right done, and I was uncharacteristically ruthless, and went for a quality over quantity approach...

3 Songs got 20 Points (2 of which I had nominated)
    2 Songs got 16 Points
    3 Songs got 12 Points
    3 Songs got 8 Points
    4 Songs got 4 Points
    10 Songs got 0 Points (I felt bad not even giving a few of them a sympathy vote, but truth is I probably wouldn't give them a vote in the head-to-heads anyway)

giphy.gif

6 new songs did make it on to my Newly Discovered Favourites playlist though, so definitely some damn good songs in the group...

I gave 6 songs full marks.

Worst song got a 2, 1 point for each of my ears that were assaulted by hearing it.

I prefer the Dance Version myself. The other version is alright, but wouldn't have earned as many points from me. I judged on the Dance Version.

And submitted!

Didn't round down on this occasion, score frequency below:

Score # of entries
    20 2
    18 2
    16 4
    14 2
    12 5
    10 2
    8 3
    6 1
    4 2
    2 2
    0 0

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Going to have a listen shortly, but there's one song on the list that I know and will be giving zero to as I've always hated it. But I don't feel so bad about that now as the rest of yiz are all heartless b*st*rds too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

just submitted my points.

3 of my nominations in this list, so 3 perfect 20 points, and another 8 songs between 16 and 18 points.

And thank you to whoever submitted Lisa Lisa's All Cried Out. I like her music and I don't think I have ever heard this song.

When we getting the next group? Tomorrow? What time?

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

giphy.gif

Jeez you lot are keen. There's already one more part on YouTube and I'm up to part 6 or 7 on spotify but there's a couple of songs I can't find on there that's why I've stopped.

I'm taking night off now as I getting the evil eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

3 of mine in this too but I didn't give top points to all 3, there is another song here I love but kinda forgot so thank you to whoever nominated it, top points. Only 2 or 3 songs got a zero from me

Jeez you lot are keen. There's already one more part on YouTube and I'm up to part 6 or 7 on spotify but there's a couple of songs I can't find on there that's why I've stopped.

I'm taking night off now as I getting the evil eye.

There'll always be one or two songs that just won't be on Spotify unfortunately. I know one of my noms isn't on Spotify at all. Maybe just keep note of the ones that aren't Spotify and when you're posting the links for that day, let people know there's one or two that are only available on YouTube...

Gonna go get a headstart on Group 2... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Got mine in :)

Never mind your tables, graphs are where it's at ;)

513087.jpg

Never mind your tables, graphs are where it's at ;)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

:rolleyes: Graphs...pftt.

I did a pie chart...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

On day 4 playlist and wow Sinead O'Connors song Black Boys of Mopeds is some powerful stuff lyrically. Never heard it before

I love that Avril Lavigne follows it too. Chalk and cheese!

lassykk wrote: »
    On day 4 playlist and wow Sinead O'Connors song Black Boys of Mopeds is some powerful stuff lyrically. Never heard it before

I love that Avril Lavigne follows it too. Chalk and cheese!

Where are you getting the other days playlists from?

edit: really should have read your post properly :D

edit 2: Wow that Sinead O'connor song is actually real? thought you were joking :D

Where are you getting the other days playlists from?

giphy.gif

I feel like Simon Cowell rating some of these songs. A lot of songs from Group 2 getting no points from me as things currently stand...

giphy.gif

although I'm waiting until Strawbs officially releases playlists here in the thread before submitting anything, so maybe they'll grow on me before tomorrow

• Advertisement

I have found the secret songs and have the part 2 google playlist ready to post whenever you're ready Strawbs

Also pretty sure the third song is the wrong version, The longer version is more famous to me at least

Advertisement