Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Song Sung By A Woman.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Son of a Preacher Man
    Don't Speak

I didn't think of either of those, I'm slightly ashamed of myself. Hat tip to whoever did!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Is it just me that the Spotify playlist for group 2 can't be found for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Is it just me that the Spotify playlist for group 2 can't be found for?

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6iYvyfLXyN92W2OyT5V6SR?si=6Cx9ub7HRMm-Xek8iMf-ww

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Some truly depressing dirges in this bunch - and then there's ABBA who I refuse to give points to :D - but two of the choices got top marks and then a few zeros but some good stuff in here some I had forgotten about and some who reminded me of others I could've nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

one question on Nena's 99 Red Baloons:

Are we voting for the English version of the song or the original German version?

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »

Are we voting for the English version of the song or the original German version?

I've sent a PM to get clarification.

Oh, if any of the tracks are not exactly what the nominator wanted us to hear then feel free to post a link to the version you want judging on.

lassykk wrote: »
    On day 4 playlist and wow Sinead O'Connors song Black Boys of Mopeds is some powerful stuff lyrically. Never heard it before

I love that Avril Lavigne follows it too. Chalk and cheese!

The Group 4 Playlist is absolutely stacked... Best one so far and I can see myself doling out an awful lot of high scoring points in that one, and none of my own nominations even feature in that group...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You're so Vain by Carly Simon. That's a weird version the tempo has been mucked about in it, not as good as the original at all. Is that the version the nominator wanted I wonder?

The majority of tracks I pretty much searched and clicked. So if it sounds dodge, just listen to another version :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Irish Aris wrote: »

Actually listening to it now. Doesn't matter, it gets full marks from me in either language, although if I could I'd give it more for the German version. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

99 red balloons full marks either language

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ugh. This is going to be the 'best song ever' contest all over again with that song isn't it :(

Zaph wrote: »
    Actually listening to it now. Doesn't matter, it gets full marks from me in either language, although if I could I'd give it more for the German version. :D
    Such an upbeat jolly song about nuclear holocaust :pac:

Necro wrote: »
    Ugh. This is going to be the 'best song ever' contest all over again with that song isn't it :(

Yep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Pretzill wrote: »
    and then there's ABBA who I refuse to give points to :D

Each to their own, of course, but that is an amazing song (Not my nomination, but if I were to pick an ABBA one it would probably be that one).

Imagine going through a messy divorce, writing a song about it, then getting your ex wife to sing it? And boy, she really sings it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

noby wrote: »
    Each to their own, of course, but that is an amazing song (Not my nomination, but if I were to pick an ABBA one it would probably be that one).

Imagine going through a messy divorce, writing a song about it, then getting your ex wife to sing it? And boy, she really sings it.
    Thank you for liking my nomination, feel free to like the other 14 too and award 20 points of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The In This Moment song Legacy sounds a bit weird on YouTube compared to Google Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »

I'm with you, just don't get it. I mean, it's grand, but that's it

The majority of tracks I pretty much searched and clicked. So if it sounds dodge, just listen to another version :D
    No, you're grand SM. It is an official version by Carly. I just don't get why she felt the need to take a classic and muck about with it :confused:

Son of a Preacher Man Dusty Springfield
    Fade Into You Mazzy Star
    Gypsy Woman Crystal Waters
    Horses Patti Smith
    Erotica Madonna
    Killing me softly Roberta Flack
    Legacy In This Moment
    Piece Of My Heart Big Brother & The Holding Company
    Phantom of the Opera Nightwish
    Elastic Heart Sia
    The Winner Takes It All ABBA
    rotterdam beautiful south
    Teardrop Massive Attack
    Brass in Pocket The Pretenders
    you're so vain carly simon
    Uptown Top Ranking Althea & Donna
    when the party's over Billie Eilish
    Sunny Came Home Shawn Colvin
    Master Hunter Laura Marling
    #1 Crush Garage
    99 red balloons Nena
    I drove all night Cyndi Lauper
    Underneath Your Clothes Shakira
    Don't Speak No Doubt
    Stupid Girl Garbage

Will there be lists like this available for all the parts? Makes it handy to throw them into a spreadsheet to keep track of the scores.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Zaph wrote: »
    Will there be lists like this available for all the parts? Makes it handy to throw them into a spreadsheet to keep track of the scores.

That's the second list. The first one is about a few pages back. They're the only two officially released. Don't mind the swots in the class getting ahead in their homework.

Just finished my points for the first two groups. Spread as follows (I scored out of 10 and doubled it):

GROUP 1

SCORE NUMBER
    0 9
    2 1
    4 2
    6 2
    8 1
    10 4
    12 2
    14 2
    16 0
    18 2
    20 0

GROUP 2 (includes 1 of my nominations)

SCORE NUMBER
    0 11
    2 1
    4 0
    6 2
    8 2
    10 2
    12 0
    14 0
    16 3
    18 1
    20 3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Some very harsh scores here, I'd never give a song zero, probably lowest is 2. Got to get something for effort.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Don't mind the swots in the class getting ahead in their homework.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Tbh, I'd rather get the whole lot at once or maybe half and go through them in a few sittings rather than coming back for more every day. That mightn't suit everyone though. Getting them in groups on 25 I feel like I might miss a few days and end up forgetting about them. I'm likely to skip listening to the songs Im familiar with to lighten the load.

Kolido wrote: »
    Some very harsh scores here, I'd never give a song zero, probably lowest is 2. Got to get something for effort.

So you're just handing out participation points? Every song has to get a point just because they were nominated? ;)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Strawberry if anyone gives one of my noms a zero I want a list of names for my block list :D

Kolido wrote: »

I know what you're saying, but there are some songs on the first two lists that if they come on the radio I'll switch over immediately. They are songs that I've hated since the first time I heard them and I'd find it very hard to give a song like that even a point or two for effort tbh. There are others I've heard for the first time on these lists that I couldn't listen to all the way through because they're just not my thing. Again I don't feel I can give anything to a song that I really don't want to listen to the rest of. And similarly I'm fully expecting people to give some or all of my entries zeroes because they do nothing for them.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Strawberry if anyone gives one of my noms a zero I want a list of names for my block list :D

Tell me who you nominated and I'll tell you to your face if I gave them a zero or not... We don't need a middleman.

I gave Winner Takes It All points anyway. Not my favourite ABBA song, but its still ABBA, so it gets points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

So you're just handing out participation points? Every song has to get a point just because they were nominated? ;)

giphy.gif

I would have a similar approach of avoiding zeros - unless it is a hip hop or heavy/thrash metal song.
    I have a 2 in this round and had a couple of 3's in the first round.

Advertisement