Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 7 Plus €399

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

glasso wrote: »
    but that (N900) was 10 years ago - even less forgivable now with 10 years phone manufacturing further on.

as I said basically HMD / New Nokia have not really released anything reallyy compelling from an overall price/feature standpoint in terms of a phone to capture much market share.

Their segment positioning is really bad.

They are not high-end (Samsung) or mid-high-end (One Plus) and they are not value-low or value-mid like Xiaomi so it's the classic nowhere segment that you know if you ever studied business strategy which is a road-to-doom.

their future is not bright on the Android handset scene.

Hard to believe the N900 is a decade old. Doesn't feel that long. I'm getting old. Regardless, at that stage Nokia had been making phones for decades and still managed to get it wrong. Same with Samsung and Note 7 exploding battery. Apple has issues with their keyboards on their laptops now. It happens. Big companies with decades of experience sometimes mess up. HMD are no different except they're younger than Nokia, Samsung and Apple.

Xiaomi don't do stock Android (apart from the Mi A series and the latest one has only got a 720P screen) or have quick updates last I checked. How many other manufacturers have multiple phones across lost of different price brackets, offer the same value as Nokia (similar spec for similar price), have stock Android, provide regular updates and support NFC?

That's an honest question because I'd like to have another brand to look at other than Nokia. Choice is always a good thing.

with security updates being delivered through google play services and the treble system making full updates (e.g. pie to Q) easier to do for manufacturers stock android is becoming less relevant imo.

Xiaomi leading the way in low, mid and overall value segments and MIUI is actually very good now. premium priced end is still Samsung. at the moment their gesture navigation is way better than what are in stock android (I have MIUI on a tablet but an android one phone).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

glasso wrote: »
    with security updates being delivered through google play services and the treble system making full updates (e.g. pie to Q) easier to do for manufacturers stock android is becoming less relevant imo.

Xiaomi leading the way in low, mid and overall value segments and MIUI is actually very good now. premium priced end is still Samsung. at the moment their gesture navigation is way better than what are in stock android (I have MIUI on a tablet but an android one phone).
    I was given a Samsung phone in work a couple of weeks ago. Used it for a couple of days and it was a nightmare... It destroys the functionality of android and is awkward to use... It now sits in my desk drawer. I've put the SIM into my 8.1 and run it as dual SIM... Still far more simple than that feckin Samsung yolk

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I was given a Samsung phone in work a couple of weeks ago. Used it for a couple of days and it was a nightmare... It destroys the functionality of android and is awkward to use... It now sits in my desk drawer. I've put the SIM into my 8.1 and run it as dual SIM... Still far more simple than that feckin Samsung yolk

only the S class ones are good - a bit like Mercedes really.

Samsung's recent UI is fine and pretty clean.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Phone fell from my pocket while getting out of the car today. Took a mighty hit off the asphalt and I managed to crack the screen. Thankfully just a hairline crack at the bottom right corner. Considering how many falls this phone has taken and all without a case, I would definitely rate it a durable phone :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Another very happy 7 Plus customer here too and would almost certainly replace with another Nokia.

Speaking of, given how haphazard the model numbering scheme has become, which of the upcoming 7.2 or 8.2 models would be considered the more natural successor?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

V3.54H pushing out this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Ahh no!
    I'm due an upgrade this month...been doing research on which handset to get,decided on Nokia 7 plus then I see this thread and all the problems users have had.Bugger what do I do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Steve F wrote: »
    Ahh no!
    I'm due an upgrade this month...been doing research on which handset to get,decided on Nokia 7 plus then I see this thread and all the problems users have had.Bugger what do I do now?

problems or not (my wife has no problem at all with the device), i wouldnt purchase the device today.

if nokia namings sytem wasnt so confusing, i'd say get the nokia XXX - some phone they have thats somewhat current and kinda of the equivalent to the 7 plus, but i just cant remember the model name.

murfilein wrote: »
    problems or not (my wife has no problem at all with the device), i wouldnt purchase the device today.

if nokia namings sytem wasnt so confusing, i'd say get the nokia XXX - some phone they have thats somewhat current and kinda of the equivalent to the 7 plus, but i just cant remember the model name.

I'm wondering is it a "law of averages" thing? All mass produced products have a certain amount of "duds" :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Steve F wrote: »
    I'm wondering is it a "law of averages" thing? All mass produced products have a certain amount of "duds" :cool:

would certainly think so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Delighted with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Seemingly HMD used different manufacturers, rather than just the one.
    This could explain the difference in experience owners have with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yakult wrote: »
    Phone fell from my pocket while getting out of the car today. Took a mighty hit off the asphalt and I managed to crack the screen. Thankfully just a hairline crack at the bottom right corner. Considering how many falls this phone has taken and all without a case, I would definitely rate it a durable phone :pac:

I dropped mine on a tiled floor screen down no case made crap of the screen cost me 160 to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

Mine got wet behind/in screen last Tuesday, and no amount of time in a bag of rice is helping things. :( Side buttons and finger print sensor fine but touch screen completely dead. Gutted. One of my favourite phones ever. Can't believe they're still 200 on Adverts etc! Just need to find a cheap solution with Android One, NFC, 3+GB RAM now!!!

August security patch popped up on mine earlier, installing now.
    103MB ish I think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

g0g wrote: »
    Mine got wet behind/in screen last Tuesday, and no amount of time in a bag of rice is helping things. :( Side buttons and finger print sensor fine but touch screen completely dead. Gutted. One of my favourite phones ever. Can't believe they're still 200 on Adverts etc! Just need to find a cheap solution with Android One, NFC, 3+GB RAM now!!!
    Incredibly after 15 days and repeated attempts it started working again! Unbelievable, one of the best phones ever!

I took the plunge on this phone and after 10 days so far all I can say is this is a beast of a phone...superb
    Got it on a "free" upgrade with Three so very very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Paremon2

Screen replacement (cracked); any recommendations of where to go in Dublin or Wicklow? Value-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So it looks like we have to wait a long time for our Android 10 upgrade, looks like somewhere at the end of the year:

https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/51242/android-10-roadmap-for-nokia-phones#latest

I wasn't expecting it immediately but its not too long a wait. Let them iron out any issues on other models first. I'll just be glad to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Maybe we are lucky and the do allow another Beta Labs around for the device so we can get it early as part of their beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Paremon2

When approx are updates expected to cease for this phone? Android One is for 'at least 2 years of Android OS upgrades'. Whereabouts are we on that 2 year timeline?

Debating whether to replace the cracked screen on my 1.5 year old 7 Plus for €100 (which also has the notorious flaky charging port) or buy the 8.1 new for €287 delivered (but poorer battery life & lower overall ratings vs 7 Plus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Charge point issue here also. Any solutions? Starting to drive me nuts. A pity as I love the phone (better than any iPhone I've had)

The updates for this phone guaranteed were security updates - not necessarily updates to Android. In saying that, Nokia (HMD) are forging ahead with providing updates for most phones in their catalogue. I personally would imagine we might get up to next year out of updates.

Got the latest security update today.

Meant to say this earlier actually.
    Phone was connected to the Wi-Fi in work so didn't even realise it was out til I was prompted to reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Charge point issue here also. Any solutions? Starting to drive me nuts. A pity as I love the phone (better than any iPhone I've had)

Just get it fixed under warranty. I just got mine back. Picked up by DHL on Wednesday and returned on the following Wednesday. So just over a week.

I raised a ticket through the phone support app (which actually just brings you to https://nokia.ebuilder.com/auto/repair). Got an automated email with DHL shipping label in a few mins. Very straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

I thought my phone had the charging issue. The port was just full of gunk. I went in store to get it repaired and the girl just stuck a pin in and cleared it out. Totally sorted it and didn't have to go without my phone. Just double check, I couldn't see the gunk myself till she started pulling it out. Jobs Oxo.

Advertisement