Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British version of Trump becomes PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Not really sure what the point is. There has always been recessions and there always will be. It’s a natural cycle not unique to the EU. There’s nothing genius about it.

The point of the article is, that the world's top economists are not predicting a recession they are forecasting the total collapse of the EU. I know it's hard for Europhiles to understand and compromise that you cant simply grow an economy by continually printing more money. The failed EU experiment is nearing its end and the Irish should be very very worried as we are a country that depends on others for handouts as we have no capability to stand on our own. The only reason our economy is surviving thus far is we are seen as a tax haven for large corporations to use at there will. Take away that and Ireland's next recession will make the last look like a training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The point of the article is, that the world's top economists are not predicting a recession they are forecasting the total collapse of the EU. I know it's hard for Europhiles to understand and compromise that you cant simply grow an economy by continually printing more money. The failed EU experiment is nearing its end and the Irish should be very very worried as we are a country that depends on others for handouts as we have no capability to stand on our own. The only reason our economy is surviving thus far is we are seen as a tax haven for large corporations to use at there will. Take away that and Ireland's next recession will make the last look like a training run.

If you are talking about printing money both the UK and USA have also done that. One of the UKs saving graces so far has been they have had a central Bank that has taken leaving the EU seriously and stepped in to prop up its economy since the vote. And even with that intervention the UK economy is still verging on recession. So I presume you are also predicting the collapse of the UK on the same basis.

And what top economist is predicting the collapse of the EU.

PeadarCo wrote: »

And what top economist is predicting the collapse of the EU.

Getting to the stage I'm almost embarrassed to admit I'm Irish. Are you really that inept that you can't do your own research or look outside your bubble to see what is really happening outside Ireland.
    Everyone wants a link for this and that, be adventurous I know its hard for the Irish sometimes but try doing things yourself instead of waiting on handouts and others to do everything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Everyone wants a link for this and that, be adventurous I know its hard for the Irish sometimes but try doing things yourself instead of waiting on handouts and others to do everything for you.
    Awesome, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

It’s not “top economists”, it’s a single hedge fund manager which even the article you linked describes as “dramatically contrarian” - if anything that shows the article says the opposite of what you think it does. It’s like citing an article about a “contrarian” scientist who doesn’t believe in climate change as proof that top scientists believe it doesn’t exist.

The article is also well over a year old and his predictions are showing no sign of happening.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    It’s not “top economists”, it’s a single hedge fund manager which even the article you linked describes as “dramatically contrarian” - if anything that shows the article says the opposite of what you think it does. It’s like citing an article about a “contrarian” scientist who doesn’t believe in climate change as proof that top scientists believe it doesn’t exist.

The article is also well over a year old and his predictions are showing no sign of happening.

I offered one link from a reputable source, there are many links and many stories. Don't worry though I understand how difficult it can be to think for yourself and actually do research, so i will clear my schedule today and spend the remainder of the day sourcing hedge fund reports, stock market trends, company earning reports and fiscal statements from various CEO's on Fortune top 100 companies.
    Would that be enough for you or shall I brew a coffee and serve it with some avocado on toast for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I can't find one either, please share the links and stop being arrogant about it.

I honestly can't name the world's top economists so I don't know who to google, we don't all know what you know

8-10 wrote: »
    I can't find one either, please share the links and stop being arrogant about it.

I honestly can't name the world's top economists so I don't know who to google, we don't all know what you know

Here is another reason I stop posting links because if I post a link from one of the British financial sectors people complain its just the UK rubbish making stories etc etc etc.
    So takes time and effort to find links without a British influence but just for you seeing you asked nicely, here is another link from one of the world's leading investors offering his warning.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/the-eu-could-collapse-in-the-same-way-the-soviet-union-did-george-soros-warns.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Excellent comment, back in December 2015 I had a lovely wager on DT to win everyone said I was mad. I continued to lay every spare cent on DT. Fast forward Jan 2017 paid cash for my house in April 2017 and now live mortgage free imagine that. Pretty sure I understand odds more than you could imagine.

If you lay him that actually means backing against him to win

Here is another reason I stop posting links because if I post a link from one of the British financial sectors people complain its just the UK rubbish making stories etc etc etc.
    So takes time and effort to find links without a British influence but just for you seeing you asked nicely, here is another link from one of the world's leading investors offering his warning.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/the-eu-could-collapse-in-the-same-way-the-soviet-union-did-george-soros-warns.html

So do you believe him when he says: "the public was becoming increasingly aware of the “dire consequences” of the U.K.’s departure from the EU" in this article?

You posted that the UK will go on to prosper after leaving the EU so how does that line up with the Dire Consequences that this economist is quoting in the article you linked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Getting to the stage I'm almost embarrassed to admit I'm Irish. Are you really that inept that you can't do your own research or look outside your bubble to see what is really happening outside Ireland. Everyone wants a link for this and that, be adventurous I know its hard for the Irish sometimes but try doing things yourself instead of waiting on handouts and others to do everything for you.

I can see what's happening outside Ireland. I specifically referenced what has been happening in the UK and USA.

I take that as you can't reference a top economist that you are just making that bit up.

The term lay has been used many times as a description of placing bets.
    It's only when Betfair arrived on the scene that it became a big term for taking bets on an outcome.

I continued to place every spare cent on DT.

Corrected but nice play on words .

I continued to place every spare cent on DT.

Corrected but nice play on words .

Aftertiming shouldn't be allowed without a screenshot of photo, just for fairness. I've posted this multiple times in the past not singling you out.

Posting after the fact with no proof is bad etiquette in gambling FYI

8-10 wrote:
    Aftertiming shouldn't be allowed without a screenshot of photo, just for fairness. I've posted this multiple times in the past not singling you out.
    This isn't a gambling thread so aftertiming isn't a thing here.

8-10 wrote: »

Well as i wasn't living in Ireland at the time and wasn't part of this forum, I'll try to be more understanding of the etiquette then shall I.

Odds of UK leaving on the 31st are currently 27/20 better than bank interest and nice bet. Is that enough notice for you?

Here is another one for you. Odds that Trump will NOT be impeached during his 1st term 1/6 another great bet and easy money to be made.

Enough of that anyway back to the original purpose of the thread.

Well as i wasn't living in Ireland at the time and wasn't part of this forum, I'll try to be more understanding of the etiquette then shall I.

Odds of UK leaving on the 31st are currently 27/20 better than bank interest and nice bet. Is that enough notice for you?

Oh it's not specific to this forum I was speaking about gambling etiquette in general.

But yes if you have a post stating the bet you're taking in advance there's no need for screenshots alright.

I agree those are decent odds, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The point of the article is, that the world's top economists are not predicting a recession they are forecasting the total collapse of the EU.

That is not what the article says.

It actually says......
    So far, the man himself has said very little about the thinking behind the move. But there are three good reasons for thinking the eurozone could well be heading for a sharp correction, if not a complete collapse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

"Temple of Gammon".... How very true.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I love this. The Telegraph, proponent of all things Boris, state that the Pound hit a two year low due to no deal Brexit talk. Due in part to them and they're elevation of one of their own staff to a position he's completely unsuitable for.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/07/29/markets-latest-news-pound-euro-ftse-100-city-prepares-50bn-blockbuster/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I love this. The Telegraph, proponent of all things Boris, state that the Pound hit a two year low due to no deal Brexit talk. Due in part to them and they're elevation of one of their own staff to a position he's completely unsuitable for.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/07/29/markets-latest-news-pound-euro-ftse-100-city-prepares-50bn-blockbuster/

And Brexit just in time for the Christmas shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Excellent for Exports and Tourism and British people will holiday at home .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

blinding wrote: »
    Excellent for Exports and Tourism and British people will holiday at home .

and **** for imports. and **** for people who want to holiday abroad.dont try and dress this up as a good thing for britain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

and **** for imports. and **** for people who want to holiday abroad.dont try and dress this up as a good thing for britain.
    Plenty of good places to holiday in Britain . Certainly it is good for Exports and Tourism .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I'd hold off until September if you are looking to buy STG.

Will be close to parity if this stand off continues, which IMO it will

That#s nothing wait until after Brexit and watch the EU plummet to depths never witnessed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That#s nothing wait until after Brexit and watch the EU plummet to depths never witnessed before.

Come again?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

"Temple of Gammon".... How very true.
    :confused:

This man needs to receive my look of contempt. He needs to see it with his eyeballs.

disgust.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

WW1 or WW2?

Advertisement