Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British version of Trump becomes PM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Whats that got to do with the question that was put to the people? They should have left with no deal in March and this would not have happened. Thank the weak Teresa May for that. Anyway, 350 million is nothing compared to what they will save on EU membership fee's.

People voted for Brexit.

They DID NOT vote for a no deal .

They were told they would get a deal and it would be on the UK's terms as "they need us more than we need them" lol.

Also, how much will the UK save now it has to pay CAP, CFP, ERC and all the other EU programs?
    F*cking Cornwall has gotten more than €350 million in EU funding!

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

People voted for Brexit.

They were told they would get a deal and it would be on the UK's terms as "they need us more than we need them" lol.

That's actually false mate. David Cameron gave a speech warning all the Brits that voting out would mean out of the single market, out of customs union, out of freedom of movement.

This was actually highlighted by politicians trying to scare Brits into voting to stay.

They knew what they voted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No need for a second vote (typical EU anti democratic attitude*). They were asked if they wanted to leave the EU or remain. They chose to leave. It couldnt have been any clearer.

*I think this is the reason for many people wanting to leave. The second Lisbon vote turned me against the EU.

Seems fairly democratic to me.

Irish people said "No, we don't like this". Irish officials went back to the EU and said "These are some of the reasons people voted against it". EU said "oh, ok, well here are a few tweaks and reassurances". Irish people then took a look and said "grand - enough of us are happy with it now - we'll give it a yes".

NKante wrote: »
    That's actually false mate. David Cameron gave a speech warning all the Brits that voting out would mean out of the single market, out of customs union, out of freedom of movement.

This was actually highlighted by politicians trying to scare Brits into voting to stay.

They knew what they voted on.

Such warnings were labelled "Project Fear"......You may have forgotten or overlooked that point.

Such warnings were labelled "Project Fear"......You may have forgotten or overlooked that point.

And we've been proven right, given that by now the apocalypse was predicted.

Yet the Brit economy is doing well, and the EU is stagnant looking for stimulus packages.

The EU is going to fail. It's inevitable. The ideologues will keep pumping money into it and try to breathe life into it, but it's dying.

That's one of the reasons why the EU are terrified that the UK will make a success of it. It will give other countries ideas of leaving too.

• Advertisement

Yet the Brit economy is doing well, and the EU is stagnant looking for stimulus packages.

The EU is going to fail. It's inevitable. The ideologues will keep pumping money into it and try to breathe life into it, but it's dying.

That's one of the reasons why the EU are terrified that the UK will make a success of it. It will give other countries ideas of leaving too.

Ya wha'?

Cameron warned that leaving EU meant leaving customs union, single market etc. His statement was labelled as "Project Fear" and that it was not true. So you now think that UK won't or can't, by default, leave the single market or customs union when Brexit occurs?

Edit:

Go to 5:08 and again at 5:55

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ya wha'?

Cameron warned that leaving EU meant leaving customs union, single market etc. His statement was labelled as "Project Fear" and that it was not true. So you now think that UK won't or can't, by default, leave the single market or customs union when Brexit occurs?

Edit:

Go to 5:08 and again at 5:55

Exactly. Leaving the single market was always described as project fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The EU aren't terrified. Brexit won't be a success.

So is the case you're making that some untruths were said? well that was obviously happening on both sides.

If we use that metric to scrap democratic votes, then no general election result would be valid because every political party lies in their manifesto.

Ooh, got you bang to rights with that one :cool:

The EU aren't terrified. Brexit won't be a success.

Britain was the 4th largest economy before the EU and before the common market.

During the UK's time in the EU, it has floated around 5th to 7th.

I think the Brits will be just fine.

After all, how do most countries in the world who aren't in the EU, manage to survive without the precious EU?

Absolutely ruining you guys in here :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

So is the case you're making that some untruths were said? well that was obviously happening on both sides.

If we use that metric to scrap democratic votes, then no general election result would be valid because every political party lies in their manifesto.

No the case being made is that contrary to your point, the public in the UK didn't know what they were voting for.

After all, how do most countries in the world who aren't in the EU, manage to survive without the precious EU?

All factors point to UK hitting a recession post Brexit.

All other countries survive by doing the vast majority of their trading with their closest neighbours.

The UK is the fifth biggest economy I believe, though that's inflated through it's financial dealings and passporting, similar to how ours is the MNCs.

If they lose this post Brexit they won't make the top 10.

All other countries survive by doing the vast majority of their trading with their closest neighbours.

Britain was supposed to be in a deep recession straight after the Brexit vote. That's what was promised by remainers. They even said an emergency budget would be needed.

All that's happened is the economy out performed the EU LOL

No dude. I'll break it down into steps.

1) Some poster said something to the effect that many people voted for Brexit but did not vote for X/Y/Z
    2) You said something to the effect that "It was clear at the time that leaving the EU meant leaving single market and that was pointed out by Cameron"
    3) I said something to the effect that Cameron may have said that but others labelled it as not true (thereby sowing confusion).
    4) You said those who labelled Cameron's words as not true have been proven right
    5) I posted video of Hannon saying leaving EU did not mean leaving single market.

I'm not debating whether politicians tell the truth. I'm simply pointing out that if you think it was clear to everyone that Brexit meant leaving the single union, then at least one person - Mr. Hannon - was not aware.

Britain was supposed to be in a deep recession straight after the Brexit vote. That's what was promised by remainers. They even said an emergency budget would be needed.

All that's happened is the economy out performed the EU LOL

Roll on Oct. 31st and we'll see what happens.

In your own head dude. Whatever makes you happy. Ignorance is bliss as they say

I know the Irish on the whole have a positive view of the EU. That's great. It might be working out for you.

It wasn't good for the UK.

I mean just the idea of a European superstate making laws that you have no control over and which are outside your parliament, is a red line for me.

There are 1000 other reasons, but for me that was #1. Totally incompatible with democracy and sovereignty.

I'm sure there will be some bumps from Brexit, but the Brits are an ancient country with a big tradition. The EU is just a small blip in the British history. It will fade into obscurity.

As I said, it's inevitable that the EU will fail in my opinion. They will try and keep it alive as long as possible, but it's doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bonfires up north on the night will be interesting as to the content on the Nationalist and Unionist sides.

The FT are predicting a probable recession in Britain in the next few months. And that's before they leave. Here's an interesting fact that illustrates how bad crashing out will be. On November 1st, Britain will be the only country in the world that will be trading on WTO terms. If you have a brain, you will understand how terrifying that scenario is. If you don't have a brain, you'll just continue recycling one-liners you read on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

There is a serious risk of recession after Brexit for the UK but don't pretend that things are looking particularly rosy for some of the main Eurozone economies in the same timeline.

Germany
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-11/germany-gets-a-recession-warning-as-investor-confidence-plunges

Italy
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48884517

Thats the 1st and 3rd largest economies in the Eurozone and France is highly exposed to any Italian recession.

Basically Brexit could definitely trigger a UK recession however its strange how those that are apparently have the most knowledge about EU keep omitting the fact that there is a serious risk of Eurozone recession in 2020 as well thats mostly separate to Brexit.

• Advertisement

Bonfires up north on the night will be interesting as to the content on the Nationalist and Unionist sides.

Funny how Brexit day was meant to be April fool's and now it's Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,242 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why are you named after a black European footballer Mr. Kante? Thats not very Brexity now is it?

#ruinedyou

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Funny how Brexit day was meant to be April fool's and now it's Halloween.

The fireworks places will have one last go on the money before shutdown :D:D

pjohnson wrote: »
    Why are you named after a black European footballer Mr. Kante? Thats not very Brexity now is it?

#ruinedyou

Now now mate. You wouldn't be calling most Brits racist, would you? seems out of order.

Corbyn always wanted out of the EU and he's not a ra....

Ah well, nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

The FT are predicting a probable recession in Britain in the next few months. And that's before they leave.

I'm curious if I will get an answer to this, but to those that think that the UK entering recession will be a sign that the UK population made a catastrophic mistake and were led by idiots.

What does a predicted recession in the largest economy in the Eurozone say, what does the 3rd largest economy having already entered recession for a period in the last year say.

I'm no Brexiteer but this attitude of europhiles not knowing the european economic outlook is just bizare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

People voted for Brexit.

Also, how much will the UK save now it has to pay CAP, CFP, ERC and all the other EU programs?
    F*cking Cornwall has gotten more than €350 million in EU funding!

I posted the ballot question a few pages back. They voted to either stay in the EU or leave. Nothing more, nothing less. The campaigning by both sides in the run up to the referendum is not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

The UK will go on to prosper and encourage other member states to leave the EU also.

And Germany after 2 failed wars and 1 failed attempt at economically controlling Europe will have to go back to the drawing board to start planning the way the can conquer Europe again.

I'm curious if I will get an answer to this, but to those that think that the UK entering recession will be a sign that the UK population made a catastrophic mistake and were led by idiots.

What does a predicted recession in the largest economy in the Eurozone say, what does the 3rd largest economy having already entered recession for a period in the last year say.

I'm no Brexiteer but this attitude of europhiles not knowing the european economic outlook is just bizare

Economies across the EU are slowing. But only one economy is thinking of crashing out of the world's largest trading bloc.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Economies across the EU are slowing. But only one economy is thinking of crashing out of the world's largest trading bloc.

If you think none of the other 27 member states are not already making plans on leaving or discussing the option you would have to have your head stuck in the ground.

The EU is all but over, the looming economic crash of the EU is only a matter of time. The sooner the better, then countries will have to right to govern and their sovereignty back from the Germans.

The failed German experiment to rule Europe has failed. Time for Ireland to look elsewhere for its next bailout.

• Advertisement

Sure sure sure...

Everyone is seeing how much of a disaster Brexit is, despite Britain being an economic powerhouse.
    Not a hope of another country leaving, especially not the weaker ones.

Advertisement