Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is now only 82% Native Irish.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The argument to pure genetics is only made by the left in fact, as a strawman argument that they claim the right makes.
    Not true - several right wing AH posters were obsessed with Haplogroup B (I think it was called), claiming that unless someone possessed this gene type they simply were not Irish.

The thing is you see, they thought it was unique to Ireland for whatever reason (likely one of the alt right 'news' sites ran a made up story on it). This was repeatedly used to argue that non white people especially should not be allowed migrate to Ireland due to being 'vertically incompatible or some sh*te.

Once this gene was shown also exist in Nigeria,Niger, Chad and a tiny bit of Asia minor, well they just lost all interest in the blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Immigration is the best thing that happened to this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

greencap wrote: »
    Can we still get some kind of link to these stats, something, anything to prove they're not pulled out of someone's arse.

Not my stats but I assume its the census.

Ah here we go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Ethnic_groups

Immigration is the best thing that happened to this country.

Yes, the Plantation of Ulster has been great for the natives alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

batgoat wrote: »
    Can you clarify, do you want to ban Muslims from Ireland? Or what do you propose? I strongly suspect Muslims are only one excuse to justify your views btw. Doubt you'd be happy with immigration from Christian African countries either.

The reason I'm not too keen on immigration from the Middle East, Africa and certain South Asian countries is due to the role religion plays in these peoples lives and societys i.e. they tend to be highly conservative.

I no more want an Ugandan gay hating Christian then I do a Pakistani Muslim one. The social liberalism in Europe was hard won, not least in Ireland. We only legalised gay sex in 1993 and divorce in 1996. The reason I dislike lots of immigration from these areas is precisely because I'm a social liberal, and want our society to remain one.

Ireland is not nearly as in much trouble as the likes of Belgium, France Germany and Britain is, and I want it to remain that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The OP will be shocked if they ever watch an Irish international football match. The manager from that midlands county named Barnsley

You taking the horse to France ?

Not sure what your point is? You don’t have to be a native of the country you manage in international sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Most things are never as the seem. For example, the colour associated with this country shouldn't be Green but St, Patrick's Blue. Native has little meaning in terms of human tribes. We for long had maritime links from the West and South as far south as Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Just stop.

You obviously haven't a notion. And I, personally, take huge exception to history being used to promote some xenophobic agenda.

The Gaels didn't arrive until around 2,500 BCE.
    There is a 12th century work called Lebor Gabála Érenn (The Book of Invasions) which contains the origin myths/stories of the Gaels (Sythia to Egypt to Iberia to Ireland). It tells how the Gaels defeated the previous inhabitants of Ireland.

Ireland is an Island - it has no "native" population. What it has is a population consisting of the descendants of various immigrants - some of whom arrived over 10,000 years ago in the Stone Age and some of whom arrived far more recently.

The blood of the Irish contains Gael, Norse, Dane, Anglo, Saxon, Norman, Welsh, Pict, French, Basque.... English, Polish, Nigerian,... all depending on when people's ancestors arrived on this ISLAND.

The "gene" argument will always be a losing one.

Without belittling the deaths 4 out of tens of millions is nearly as close to 0% as you're gonna get.

Are you saying its worth it? Whats your threshold where the cost benefit is negative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I know a Eugene, fairly sure he's native. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is that Eugene Nicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i love Brazilian women

Do people care how low that % gets? Would it matter if there was a hypothetical surge in people moving over, say the UN migration pact actually ends up being implemented as its written, would it matter to the people on this thread if the foreign born population increased so much that in their kids adulthood the population born here became something like 50% or less?

Would that be an issue

recedite wrote: »
    That's an interesting question, and while it seems difficult or impossible to answer, it is in fact quite simple to answer.
    The answer is No, not after it happens. And before it happens, they are mostly oblivious to it.

After it gets to that level, the people redefine themselves as "a nation of immigrants" and "the majority" are quite happy then with that situation.
    You can see this effect working in London and some of the other cities of the UK. They have a very different attitude to issues such as Brexit when compared with some other parts of England that are still inhabited by "native" English people.

And then its already far too late

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Just stop.

You obviously haven't a notion. And I, personally, take huge exception to history being used to promote some xenophobic agenda.

The Gaels didn't arrive until around 2,500 BCE.
    There is a 12th century work called Lebor Gabála Érenn (The Book of Invasions) which contains the origin myths/stories of the Gaels (Sythia to Egypt to Iberia to Ireland). It tells how the Gaels defeated the previous inhabitants of Ireland.

I don't think people take the lebor Gabála Érenn seriously these days. The genetic evidence is that the then Irish were pretty much the descendants of the original inhabitants, as they would in fact tend to grow to the then carrying capacity of the Island. Its hard to even find viking genetics in Ireland.
    Ireland is an Island - it has no "native" population. What it has is a population consisting of the descendants of various immigrants - some of whom arrived over 10,000 years ago in the Stone Age and some of whom arrived far more recently.

By that logic there were no native Americans either. In fact theres no native population anywhere, once you can prove that a few thousand years ago somebody intermarried somewhere.
    The blood of the Irish contains Gael, Norse, Dane, Anglo, Saxon, Norman, Welsh, Pict, French, Basque.... English, Polish, Nigerian,... all depending on when people's ancestors arrived on this ISLAND.

Mostly Gael though. And it really doesn't contain the Anglos or the Saxons as a separate people, and very little Welsh, Pict, French, even Danes. And since you probably think that all of these people don't really exist either as separate people then why bring them up.

What bugs me is the modern ideology that ethnic groups don't exist at all, you don't have to believe in "purity" to assume the existence of ethnic groups just the existence of a culture, language and laws passed down by a people who, like any group, will absorb immigrants ( or captives in some cases) over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

vladmydad wrote: »
    But does anyone find the complete silence on the issue a little Orwellian, I mean it’s a radical societal change in just 20 years with unknown ramifications for future generations and yet it’s just not spoken of.

The ramifications may be that we have a half decent football team within the next 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Mitochondria have their own DNA and are strikingly similar to bacteria. This could possibly be the result of symbioses of single cell organisms which led to the creation of Eukaryotic cells and eventually us. So therefore we are basically descended from "germs" and continue to pass on their dna.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Remembered it from a YouTube video by that computing forever guy.

If you're going to start a whole new thread with a declaration and a topic centering entirely on statistics, then maybe, you know...include the source of the statistic.

Not my stats but I assume its the census.

Ah here we go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Ethnic_groups

Thanks, finally.

"(total White: 92.4%)" . Looks like this country won't be looking much different any time soon. OP fear mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

vladmydad wrote: »
    Ireland is only 82% native Irish

There is no debate in Irish media or politics about this and we have never voted on the issue. In fact it’s actually taboo. What are your thoughts?

15.5% of which are cooking your pizzas, delivery your junk food, cleaning up puke in hospitals, collecting and disposing of your rubbish and waste, cleaning toilets etc. Never mind them having no-where to live, cause gawd forbid they might even dare and ask for some help towards rent or even think of putting themselves on a social housing list for fear of mobbing.

As for your "taboo reference". Actually I wish the media would focus and expose more the likes of these racist myths that are constantly being floated and peddled on social media as if they are real. There are several alone posted daily in this little dark corner of pure hate & hysteria.

Thanks, finally.

"(total White: 92.4%)" . Looks like this country won't be looking much different any time soon. OP fear mongering.

White Irish 82%. Whites have different cultures and ethnicities.

• Advertisement

Chinasea wrote: »
    15.5% of which are cooking your pizzas, delivery your junk food, cleaning up puke in hospitals, collecting and disposing of your rubbish and waste, cleaning toilets etc.

Oh. No upper class jobs then? Shocking if true.

Never mind them having no-where to live, cause gawd forbid they might even dare and ask for some help towards rent or even think of putting themselves on a social housing list for fear of mobbing.

There are obviously resource issues in terms of housing etc.
    As for your "taboo reference". Actually I wish the media would focus and expose more the likes of these racist myths that are constantly being floated and peddled on social media as if they are real. There are several alone posted daily in this little dark corner of pure hate & hysteria.

Like what? Nobody here has said anything racist as far as I can see. Except perhaps attacks on the inbred Irish.

Your argument is a fairly good example of how debate is designed to be shut down. As I said before, in the modern age we cant really expect nor want full 100% irishness on the island.

However how much can Ireland absorb in a generation? Legit question.

Chinasea wrote: »
    15.5% of which are cooking your pizzas, delivery your junk food, cleaning up puke in hospitals, collecting and disposing of your rubbish and waste, cleaning toilets etc. Never mind them having no-where to live, cause gawd forbid they might even dare and ask for some help towards rent or even think of putting themselves on a social housing list for fear of mobbing.

The unemployment rate for all recent immigrants was 20 per cent though there were large variations by nationality. Brazilians 30 per cent of those in the labour force were unemployed, while only 4.5 per cent of German national immigrants were in this category.
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp11eoi/cp11eoi/lfnmfl/
    Black Africans recorded the highest unemployment rate (36 per cent), and were four times more likely to be unemployed than White Irish individuals.
    https://www.esri.ie/news/ethnicity-and-nationality-in-the-irish-labour-market/

If you look at it economically then there are preferable nationalities i.e German versus Black African and Brazilian. This is whether or not they are working under the counter as that doesnt benefit us either.

It is not racist to point this out and it is not racist to have preferences based on facts. The other can of worms is the islamic element which is a security issue. I wouldnt like to see this kind of thing happening in Ireland:

...in Belgium there is enough to have started political parties, with aims for an islamic state, and they have election success. They literally sound like ISIS.
    In 2018, they candidated in 28 municipalities. Its goals are an Islamic state. Its policies include men and women to be separated on public transport, schools must be forced to offer halal meat and anyone must be able to wear a headscarf anywhere. Its policy is to replace the civil and penal laws of Belgium with Sharia law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Belgium#Islam_party

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108885912&postcount=504

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i love Brazilian women

https://youtu.be/29OLhebbj5c

• Registered Users Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Thanks, finally.

Out of a matter of interest, who told you that 7% of our population are Travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Whether or not mass-immigration has worked, it is a disgrace that the people of Ireland were, and have been, ignored and lied to. As they were, by eg Dick Roche, Proinsias de Rossa et al.

And still are.

They did this aided and abetted by useful idiots in the media. Further down the intellectual food chain, we find the kind supercilious fluteheads that we see on this forum and others.

There is a lot of merit in the old saying 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do.' In other words, multiculturalism must be abandoned as a failed experiment. It does not work, it is detrimental. This has been acknowledged by Merkel and Cameron. We don't have a colonial legacy to atone for, so we needn't go down that path anyway.

Practically - large parts of many British cities are sh1tholes on account of being overwhelmed by people from backward parts of the globe, who are sullen, non-integrating, non-working, ungrateful, and have a mediaeval world-view.

Even the immigrants who arrived in Britain forty, fifty years ago and worked hard - their grandchildren who have never known anything else except Britain, and the liberal comfortable life, are the most dogmatic, the most disaffected, the most virulent anti-Westerners. It's a mental illness.

It's laughable to see the right-on's squirming about all this. However, we don't need to import anyone who is ambivalent about Western values. We just don't need them.

It'll be interesting to see the influence on Irish life a generation from now of the children and grandchildren of Polish immigrants to Ireland. In general, the Poles have a pretty strong feeling of ethnic homogeneity, aren't overburdened with liberal squeamishness, and don't have much truck with ingrate outsiders.

If anyone can find news reports of the Polish authorities being forced to erect security barriers in the main shopping districts of their cities this Christmas, can you please put them up ? I can't find any.

Out of a matter of interest, who told you that 7% of our population are Travellers?

I responded to this already.

I was trying to remember stats i had seen elsewhere in a similar topic. I remembered the number as being 7 instead of 0.7.

All this because OP for some reason wasn't arsed to cite his statistics, which the whole thread is based off.

Easily avoided.

White Irish 82%. Whites have different cultures and ethnicities.

So what.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

As a pure-bred Tuatha De Danann, I'm angry as hell over this whole Celtic invasion , and can only hope that eventually Lugh lámh órga will strike down that 82% and restore our Golden Age of harp stroking and cock-adorning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I responded to this already.

I was trying to remember stats i had seen elsewhere in a similar topic. I remembered the number as being 7 instead of 0.7.

All this because OP for some reason wasn't arsed to cite his statistics, which the whole thread is based off.

Easily avoided.

And you felt entitled to fire out this rant based on some half remembered nonsense. Talk about not being arsed.

OP.

Did you exclude the traveller population from your statistic?

I believe the travellers constitute an additional 7 percent.

I don't know that you did omit this number.

However, if you did, and given that travellers are Irish then I'll be forced to consider your original post to contain a lie by omission.

If this is the case then you are a steaming sack of sht.

Please cite your statistic OP.

Because I smell horse sht.

• Advertisement

Bottom line is that inviting half the world into Europe disenfranchises the locals, especially the younger generation who are competing for jobs and housing. Its a dick move. Ireland has a relatively small population and can be overwhelmed with numbers very easily. I truly believe the do gooders have no notion just how many people there are out there in the third world who would love to come over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement