Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is now only 82% Native Irish.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

vladmydad wrote: »
    So you admit an increase risk of terrorism because of our Islamic friends but that’s ok because your a good lefty.

How old are you? I doubt you are old enough to remember the troubles. I lived beside the border and made many trips up North. The reality was far more terrifying than the what ifs. Also, there were far more terrorists back then then there is now in the country.

We went through a summer of almost weekly shut downs of the town centre due to bomb warnings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

wakka12 wrote: »
    I’m here to help. Have you done your Christmas shopping yet ? Ehh actually you might want to avoid any Christmas markets, they’ve become surprisingly dangerous...... but that has nothing to do with cultural enrichment,

Tens of millions of people attend christmas markets across europe annually without any danger
    The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/councillor-blasts-idea-southside-northside-14204045
    The new planters/bollards on henry street and grafton street are armoured and were installed for terror defence purposes
    'Dublin Live revealed last week that new armored planters were rolled out before Christmas in order to prevent terror attacks like those see in Nice, Barcelona and London.

Barriers similar to these can be seen across some of Europe's major cities.

The planters, which appear as large flower pots, have been positioned in various entrances to Grafton Street and Henry Street.

The €50,000 bollards were put out at the two main pedestrian zones in conjunction with An Garda Siochana.'

The move came following a string of terror attacks involving trucks, in which over 100 people were killed, across Europe over the last 18 months.

A source told Dublin Live: "These planters are in place to stop cars and trucks from entering Henry and Grafton Steet.

"The blockades will stop, or at least severely slow down, any vehicles unlawfully entering the streets."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Wow man, you’re cranky this morning.
    Anyway they are lovely plant boxes and surprisingly sturdy, I bet they could even stop a madman in a truck but that would never happen in Ireland.

I remember the first time I visited my brother in London and was surprised by the scarcity of public bins. Would you be surprised that it was anything to do with native Irish having a history of leaving bombs in them?

So you admit an increase risk of terrorism because of our Islamic friends but that’s ok because your a good lefty.

How old are you? I doubt you are old enough to remember the troubles. I lived beside the border and made many trips up North. The reality was far more terrifying than the what ifs. Also, there were far more terrorists back then then there is now in the country.
    So because we had terrorists back then it’s ok to import more . Right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

batgoat wrote: »
    You'd honestly think that the UK didn't face significant risks of terrorism from the 70s to 90s. Same for mainland Europe. You had the IRA, Red Army Faction and ETA.

Is that an argument about what these barriers are for? Have you ceded the point that they are to stop terrorism?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.

Dude, you are in more danger crossing the road than you are attending a Christmas market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is it a good time to mention the Irish double standard in illegal immigration.

Many see it as acceptable for Irish illegals to go to the USA on holiday visas and stay for 20 years working illegally, many get involved in criminal activities and work under the taxation system to better their lives. Many Irish families survived the 70’s and 80’s on cash sent home from these illegal jobs.

But when people come to it eland to work and better themselves we consider it an invasion of some sorts.

I really think the open dirty truth is that skin colour is a problem for many worrying about the “real Irish”. We just have repeated threads started under not so subtle side stories to push the adjenda forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

I would say that most people in here would have no concerns with potential integration issues
    I post this again as it's a good example

https://youtu.be/RlNCVQGFrMU

It's an indicator of how many people feel on the subject which is a shame imo. It's just easier not to give this topic any importance and not to care. Genuinely most folks don't care. Is that a reflection of people in here or the general population I don't know. Its not important in people's lives. Perhaps people would rather treat it as an opportunity to mildly ridicule the OP. For anyone who has children maybe they can see how it's in their future where there maybe some ramifications.
    IMO immigration is a good thing.
    Once it doesn't go unchecked. Other countries have had genuine issues and I'd rather here in Ireland we learn from their mistakes rather than turning a blind eye

I didn't realise that the government were actively going to ISIS strongholds and handpicking terrorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I didn't admit that at all as it happens, but seeing as you're clearly obsessed with the matter it's no surprise you perform the requisite mental gymnastics to draw that conclusion.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/councillor-blasts-idea-southside-northside-14204045
    The new planters/bollards on henry street and grafton street are armoured and were installed for terror defence purposes
    And we’re all supposed to pretend that this is normal. It’s outrageous but the people have been browbeaten into just accepting it.

Tens of millions of people attend christmas markets across europe annually without any danger

The term “without any danger” implies a 0% chance of danger which isn’t true. I mean a glance at the news recently would prove that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Is that an argument about what these barriers are for? Have you ceded the point that they are to stop terrorism?

Happy to cede it.

Grand job, so you would have favoured banning Irish people as they would all be potential terrorists in your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There's no doubt Ireland is changing rapidly, even a walk around the city centre or my hometown you hear languages from everywhere... Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I really don't know, one thing I do notice is the fluidity of the way Irish people interact with each other, regardless if they know each other or not.it seems to be lacking in other nationalities.

I come across so few foreigners that I am unable to form a judgement like that. I think you would need to live in foreign countries to see how they are at home. Unless you know thousands of them here, in which case you are entitled to that view.

I have heard anecdotal reports of Irish people abroad being very clannish.

_Brian wrote: »

Many see it as acceptable for Irish illegals to go to the USA on holiday visas and stay for 20 years working illegally, many get involved in criminal activities and work under the taxation system to better their lives. Many Irish families survived the 70’s and 80’s on cash sent home from these illegal jobs.

But when people come to it eland to work and better themselves we consider it an invasion of some sorts.

I really think the open dirty truth is that skin colour is a problem for many worrying about the “real Irish”. We just have repeated threads started under not so subtle side stories to push the adjenda forward.
    No double standards from me, I hope Trump deports those illegal Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Who sees it as acceptable? I dont think irish people should be allowed to enter the USA illegally and Im sure many other irish people would consider it to be a crime as well

Never ever seen that. Whenever the subject comes up most people here don’t care about the illegal Irish. Sure RTE makes a song and dance about it but they are pro immigration in all cases.

The question is about the numbers and integration.

Don’t think anybody mentioned skin colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

We went through a summer of almost weekly shut downs of the town centre due to bomb warnings too.

I remember working in a pub during a bombscare. Guard pokes his head in the door

Guard - there’s a bomb scare in town
    Me - should I get everyone to leave?
    Guard - Ah no, just shut the door and don’t let anyone out.
    Me - So a lock in?
    Guard - Yeah, pretty much.

Innocent times.

No double standards from me, I hope Trump deports those illegal Irish.

Want to list out all the negative impacts from that dreaded 18%? I've worked with people from all the globe who live and work in Ireland. (Including some who came to Ireland as refugees during their childhood) I would consider them good friends and I don't have your warped view of them, thankfully.

• Advertisement

Happy to cede it.

Grand job, so you would have favoured banning Irish people as they would all be potential terrorists in your view.

Banning Irish people from where? The U.K. was thinking of removing the FTA in the 80s. However that would have been pointless given most of the terrorism was internal to the U.K.

(That said they did stop people travelling even from Northern Ireland to the “mainland” and they definitely stopped known or suspected terrorists, or Sinn Fein members from travel in some cases).

The rest of the world outside the EEC has visas for Irish people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The term “without any danger” implies a 0% chance of danger which isn’t true. I mean a glance at the news recently would prove that.

Without belittling the deaths 4 out of tens of millions is nearly as close to 0% as you're gonna get.

Want to list out all the negative impacts from that dreaded 18%? I've worked with people from all the globe who live and work in Ireland. (Including some who came to Ireland as refugees during their childhood) I would consider them good friends and I don't have your warped view of them, thankfully.

Very little effects on the middle classes for sure, if there were we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Ireland would be as white as the RDS horse show.

Banning Irish people from where? The U.K. was thinking of removing the FTA in the 80s. However that would have been pointless given most of the terrorism was internal to the U.K.

(That said they did stop people travelling even from Northern Ireland to the “mainland” and they definitely stopped known or suspected terrorists, or Sinn Fein members from travel in some cases).

The rest of the world outside the EEC has visas for Irish people.

I'm referring to an outright ban of Irish people from the UK. Because the op seems to view all those who are non Irish and Muslim as an importation of terrorists...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Who IS really Irish and what IS Irish Culture?
    Really?
    What is it?
    The ability to strike a ball with a crooked stick?
    Sing Sean Nos?
    Irish Dancing?
    Drinking alcohol ?
    Hating anything English ?
    I was born here 68 years ago but am of Welsh and Spanish blood and have dark(ish) skin color.
    I spent my life as man and boy, gladly, in the service of this country.
    Should I leave because I'm not 'pure' Irish?

amcalester wrote: »
    I remember working in a pub during a bombscare. Guard pokes his head in the door

Guard - there’s a bomb scare in town
    Me - should I get everyone to leave?
    Guard - Ah no, just shut the door and don’t let anyone out.
    Me - So a lock in?
    Guard - Yeah, pretty much.

Innocent times.

I heard of that happening too. The incendiary devices were usually found in shops and not pubs though as it was easier for a stranger to enter shops. 1997 was the year and while the bomb scares were weekly the number of devices were less so. however, since viable incendiary devices were left all shops were emptied out and searched. Working in a shop at the time, I had to take part in the searches. The Gardaí were no use at describing what we were looking for.

Unfortunately it’s going to take a horrible but totally foreseeable tragedy to happen before we take it seriously. One day we’ll turn on the news to see 7 or 8 people dead in Dublin and even then the lefty’s will make excuses.

Without belittling the deaths 4 out of tens of millions is nearly as close to 0% as you're gonna get.

Isn’t 1000 deaths fairly close to 0% as well. When would start to worry? At 1%? 100,000 deaths.

Or is that ok because 1% is low. What about 10%?

The point about terrorism to to kill few and terrorise many.

Isn’t 1000 deaths fairly close to 0% as well. When would start to worry? At 1%? 100,000 deaths.

Or is that ok because 1% is low. What about 10%?

The point about terrorism to to kill few and terrorise many.
    A few deaths is a small price to pay for cultural enrichment

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it’s going to take a horrible but totally foreseeable tragedy to happen before we take it seriously. One day we’ll turn on the news to see 7 or 8 people dead in Dublin and even then the lefty’s will make excuses.

Do you get worked up so much about road safety in Ireland? Rather than potentially killing 7 or 8 people, 142 people have already died this year. Another 149 for the whole of 2017....I could go on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement