Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xiaomi mi max 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭corkie

squawker wrote: »
    how long does it take to get the poxy bootloader unlocked? do you still receive a txt message?

No longer required to request permission.

But on new devices there is an 360 Hours(15 Days) wait in the process once you register your device. No way around that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/advanced/bootloader
    You will only be able to unlock if it's been more than 72 hours that you successfully added your account and device.

The waiting time on the Redmi 5 series and newer models is 360 hours. Currently there's no known way to bypass the waiting time.

You can only unlock on Official roms, so check your device that you don't have a Vendor/Reseller rom.

Reports of some sellers using them as global rom has yet to be released.

IMPORTANT NEWS About Mi Max 3 Global Rom | Global 9.6.4.0.OEDMIFD IS FAKE

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

corkie wrote: »
    But on new devices there is an 360 Hours(15 Days) wait in the process once you register your device. No way around that.

Jasus, that's what I feared got that 360hr countdown on the "Mi Unlock" app

I am okay regarding the Fake Rom, updated mine over OTA to 9.6.9.0

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jasus, that's what I feared got that 360hr countdown on the "Mi Unlock" app

I am okay regarding the Fake Rom, updated mine over OTA to 9.6.9.0
    So you got the fake rom but it updated anyway? Or yours was the official Chinese ROM?

Oh yeah and hows the phone btw? :D

Thargor wrote: »
    So you got the fake rom but it updated anyway? Or yours was the official Chinese ROM?

it was on the official Chinese Rom out of the box and updated to the latest when I turned the phone on

Phone is great for the price, no major issues apart from a few little niggly problems like getting my contacts synced from google and Whatsapp sometimes coming up with two notifications for the same message

I will play around with again tonight but really looking forward to unlocking the bootloader and installing the Xiaomi.eu Weekly MIUI 10

• Advertisement

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Well the 2 weeks is up and still no sign of it.

Came second place in Gizchinas best phones under €500 for this month though:

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/08/16/top-5-chinese-smartphones-for-under-500-august-2018/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

Is it a case of wait until official release date in Hong Kong etc until they'd be able to be bought on honorbuy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

ronano wrote: »
    Is it a case of wait until official release date in Hong Kong etc until they'd be able to be bought on honorbuy etc

Released in Hong Kong on 23rd of August and in Thailand on the 24th these will have the official global rom.

• Advertisement

I got an email from TradingSchengen this afternoon saying they had the 6GB/128GB black model in stock, signed up weeks ago to their stock alerts and it appeared today so hopefully its actually in stock and they're not lying scum like every other vendor seems to be:

https://tradingshenzhen.com/en/mi-max-3/1302-mi-max3-6gb-ram-128gb-rom-snapdragon-636.html#/62-device_color-black/130-free_gift-usb_otg_cable_eu_adapter/38-firmware-xiaomieu_multilanguage

So I ordered one from there aswell, whoever ships first Ill cancel the other order, hopefully this doesn't blow up in my face :D

Released in Hong Kong on 23rd of August and in Thailand on the 24th these will have the official global rom.
    Where did you hear that?

Where did you hear that?

Saw it on Reddit here is a tweet with some more info. I think anything released outside of China will have a global rom
    https://twitter.com/djmimifr/status/1029645181614809088?s=19

Where did you hear that?

Saw it on Reddit here is a tweet with some more info. I think anything released outside of China will have a global rom
    https://twitter.com/djmimifr/status/1029645181614809088?s=19

my Mi Max 3 is at 3d 10h 25m on battery with normal daily usage, 17% remaining as I type

can't fault that, bootloader will be unlocked tomorrow ;)

my Mi Max 3 is at 3d 10h 25m on battery with normal daily usage, 17% remaining as I type

Oh yeah I forgot you already had one, how are you finding it?

I cancelled my Aliexpress order with Mi Global Store, no answers to any of my queries for 2 weeks, funny how they were straight on to me asking to wait another 2 weeks the minute I cancelled.

I got a text alert from TradingShenzhen saying they had the 6GB/128GB model back in stock so ordered from them on Thursday, €330 delivered with DHL 3-5 days, they have an EU warehouse in Germany but not sure if its coming from there. They reply within 3 minutes if you contact them and you can chat to them on Whatsapp, they've assured me it is in stock and ready to ship on Monday or Tuesday and they gave me the option of original Chinese ROM or the EU ROM, they know about the fake Global ROM and say they wont touch it. So fingers crossed Ill have mine next week.

Another camera review:

To my eye the HDR rear camera shots are amazing, I am coming from a 4 year old OnePlus One though. Apparently the Google Camera .apk fixes the image stabilization and low light issues aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

hows the camera ?.....day and nightime ?

also...is there a way without rooting of getting gcam on this ?

Oh yeah I forgot you already had one, how are you finding it?

perfect for my needs, can't fault it. only a few niggles with the Phone software but that will be fixed

Thursday the global rom is rumored to land

dougm1970 wrote: »
    hows the camera ?.....day and nightime ?

not really interested in the Camera, took a few pics and they look okay to me

don't think I have even switched on the front camera on any phone I have ever owned

WARNING! [XDA] Anti-Rollback is now ACTIVATED on Mi Max 3

IMPORTANT NEWS:

Mi Max 3 just got the Anti-Rollback system added to any firmware above 8.8.7 China Beta | 9.6.12.0 China stable. (AND THESE AS WELL!)

Bricking situations:
    China Beta ROM-
    1. If you have updated to MIUI 10 Beta ROM 8.8.7 or above, you can flash all ROMs after 8.8.7 (including 8.8.7), but you can not downgrade to Beta ROM 8.8.6 or ROM previously.
    2. If you are on Beta ROM 8.8.6 or ROM previously, you can flash your device using all those previous ROMs.

China Stable ROM-
    1. If you are on Stable ROM V9.6.12.0 (It will be released soon) or ROM above, you can flash all Stable ROMs after V9.6.12.0 (including V9.6.12.0), but you can not flash your device to Stable ROM V9.6.9.0 or ROM previously.
    2. If you are on Stable ROM V9.6.9.0 or ROM previously, you can flash your device using all those ROMs.

Source in Chinese

Edit Note: - If you have a Chinese versions with ARB, be-careful flashing Global Roms with out it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

This is on eglobalcentral delivered for €244ish. What should i be looking out for? I have the mi max 2 at the moment.

• Advertisement

This is on eglobalcentral delivered for €244ish. What should i be looking out for? I have the mi max 2 at the moment.
    Wait another week and spend a bit extra on the 6GB RAM/128 GB ROM version, or just order one now, they're coming into stock in a lot of places but then selling out nearly straight away, set stock alerts in a few places.

dougm1970 wrote: »

Don't think so

But I rooted the phone today with Magisk, installed °camera 2 api" as a module and then the gcam.apk

All working perfectly

2 hours of Youtube drops the battery 10% :D

These battery tests are ridiculous, they go on for 12-14 hours where they're actually trying to kill the battery, normal usage is measured in 3+ days:

Another week long delay, this is excruciating :rolleyes:

Mine has shipped from Tradingshenzhen!

Won't ruin the thread with delivery updates but the 128gb model with 6gb RAM seems to be in stock everywhere now for real this time, no sign of the blue model yet, Aug 28th according to XDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Mine has shipped from Tradingshenzhen!

Won't ruin the thread with delivery updates but the 128gb model with 6gb RAM seems to be in stock everywhere now for real this time, no sign of the blue model yet, Aug 28th according to XDA.
    Are you leaving the Chinese rom version on it? Or is it a official global rom ... Let us know how you get on with it

Are you leaving the Chinese rom version on it? Or is it a official global rom ... Let us know how you get on with it
    It was a very messy launch even by Chinese phone standards, all the vendors got impatient to sell a global ROM (that didnt exist yet) so they started flashing a fake Global ROM on it and claiming it was official. Also unlocking the bootloader then relocking it so you have to wait 10 days for Xiaomi to unlock it for you to get rid of the bad ROM. That fake Global ROM is apparently a bit of a disaster:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-max-3/how-to/news-mi-max-3-global-rom-t3825700

Poor reception, poor call quality, no OTA updates, loads of other stuff, the worst being bad partitions that were an actual bricking danger. If you do have the fake global ROM the solution is to unlock the bootloader, flash the Chinese ROM (fixes partitions) then flash the EU ROM. The EU ROM is unofficial but is the beginning of ROM development for this phone so its already optimized so its better than the offical Chinese one. List of optimizations here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-max-3/development/rom-xiaomi-eu-miui-10-mi-max-3-t3825680

If you're not comfortable with flashing ROMs your choices are to wait for the official global ROM (maybe Aug 28th) otherwise TradingShenzhen sell them with either official Chinese or EU rom loaded and bootloader unlocked, you can select either option from the dropdown before you buy:

https://tradingshenzhen.com/en/mi-max-3/1302-mi-max3-6gb-ram-128gb-rom-snapdragon-636.html?search_query=mi+max+3&results=33

If you are buying though it will be well worth getting to know how to flash a ROM, with proper optimization and bloat removal this phone will be offering 4-5 days battery life when the good custom ROMs start arriving. Ill stick with the EU ROM for now, good reviews on XDA.

EDIT: Btw the official Chinese ROM is in full English if you order that.

I flashed the xiaomi.eu Rom on the Max 3 last Sunday (was on official Chinese ROM)

So far I can't fault it, installed Redwolf recovery and rooted with Magisk

Battery is just immense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

how is camera ?....specifically in low light ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Thanks Thargor for detailed reply.. trading chenzhen now only ship the 6gb with the China rom, squawker I'm fairly handy installing roms mostly on samsung S6, S7, S8 so I'm gonna go for it... Where's the best place to buy the 6gb version?

Advertisement