Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xiaomi mi max 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭AH92

Hey guys,
    Really interested in this phone especially the 6gb variant, If I want to avoid the flashing route do I pick the Xiaomi eu version on the drop down list?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭greenore

Mi Max 1 user here, also well used to flashing roms and unlocking bootloaders etc..

Think im just gonna wait for Official global rom before i pull the trigger

Hurry up Xaomi!!!!! Cant wait any longer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I can't understand the reluctance to root on this thread :confused:

surely if you buy a phone from any Chinese manufacturer this is a necessity for performance and control over you device

the Phones are cheap as chips so why not have some fun with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,904 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Totally agree, not nice to use generalizations but you just cant trust Chinese companies, I have all my bank accounts, share portfolios and cryptocurrency wallets on my phone + all my passwords and everything else, its a weight off your shoulders to wipe it and replace all the bloat with an optomised ROM thats not spying on you or wasting battery. I said it before aswell, when properly optomised ROMs start appearing for this device you'll be looking at 4-5 days of use on a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

squawker wrote: »
    I can't understand the reluctance to root on this thread :confused:

surely if you buy a phone from any Chinese manufacturer this is a necessity for performance and control over you device

I have the mi max 2 and have no clue about rooting and flashing etc. What benefits and all that jazz, it's working perfectly fine since I got it at the start of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

squawker wrote:
    I can't understand the reluctance to root on this thread

squawker wrote:

squawker wrote:

I'd be reluctant because I have not a clue how to do it and what the real advantages are. I'd be afraid I'd brick it. I'd be fairly handy with computers etc but haven't the first idea about rooting.

I use the RN5 and I'm happy with it as it is. Slightly paranoid ow about bank details and passwords etc being on the phone now...

rooting a phone is simple and not some sort of back magic

the most important thing to me is adfree, once you get used to a browsing experience on phone without ads its impossible to go back

as well as some Magisk root apps like "Vanced" YouTube app (no ads and can change res to any definition irregardless of device)

you will not brick your device if you follow instructions, if you have any questions regarding rooting, just ask if you need help

I am personally rooting devices since my first Android phone the original "Galaxy S" and have never bricked anything

I am sure there plenty of fellow posters on this subforum that will be glad to help as well

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Interesting post on this subject scroll down to poster" showme "
    https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_max_3-reviews-8963.php

Interesting post on this subject scroll down to poster" showme "
    https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_max_3-reviews-8963.php
    Poor reception is a symptom of the fake unofficial Global ROM that several dodgy vendors loaded the phone with.

Take a look at the review videos posted earlier in this thread using the official ROM, rock solid 4G and FrankieTech said its the best call quality of any phone hes reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Not impressed with the battery life in GSMarena's review. Same as the Galaxy A7 which has NFC and waterproofing for the same price. Screen is an inch or so smaller but the battery is only 3600mah. Either something's up with the official ROM or it's just not an efficient phone. My guess is they've cut corners on panel quality to get it in at that price.

• Advertisement

Thats the unoptimized Chinese bloatware ROM and they still say its in the top 10 of phones they've ever tested, have a look at these:

Good review though:

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_max_3-review-1809.php

Frankietech is only testing fullscreen video playback over WiFi in all those scenarios, and a battery drain app. It doesn't cover differences in web browsing (never mind browsing wifi vs LTE vs 3g), instagram / facebook usage, calling, or overall standby/modem performance. Cutting things off with a battery drain app because he wanted to go to bed doesn't show a rigorous method, he knew the tests were going to be 10 hours plus, starting them at 2pm was not clever.

Well that's one part of one video. Where are you seeing the same battery life on an A7 with a 3600 mAh battery? It'll be all about the custom roms anyway, even the xaoimi.eu ROM is a big boost and that's literally the first one released.

Gsmarena's battery table.

Sunlight contrast ratio shows the A7 has a much better panel, which to be fair is expected for AMOLED vs. IPS. I'm mildly bummed, I had been holding out for this phone for a while.

Honor Note 10: NFC, huge battery, good (huge) panel, good camera. No Band 20, costs an extra €200.
    Mi Max 3: Good storage, great price, huge panel, good camera. No NFC, underwhelming battery life, no gorilla glass, bad sunlight visibility.
    A7: Great battery life (relative to size), great panel, NFC. Glass back, small panel, small storage, mediocre camera.

Thinking about what's frustrating me about the S5 I've got, taking a step backwards in sunlight visibility is a no-go, it's already not good enough.

I dont know how you can say its underwhelming tbh, even with the original Chinese ROM and the older version of MIUI that they're testing its the 7th best battery GSMarena has ever seen (and why is it behind the A7 on that table anyway when it easily beats it on talk time and web browsing performance?), why does the A7 place higher on the table when the only metric it beats the Mi Max 3 on is 2 hours of extra video playback, 16 hours vs 18 hours? Its a way smaller screen anyway and tbh its kind of a butt ugly phone with a chin and forehead that look like they're from 3 years ago. All the Youtube reviews using the MM3 daily driver are giving it 3.5 days+ in normal usage, the .eu rom will beat that, who knows what an Exodus or some other battery focused ROM will achieve.

Yeah the sunlight ratio is a bit low but if you look at some of the phones that it does beat on their chart I really doubt its going to be an issue, in Techtablets review he's wandering around Barcelona in the heatwave and he says it performs well, all the other display metrics sound great, some are described as flagship beating, on a 6.9" display?

Plenty of better specs out there obviously on smaller screens, if you're looking for a phablet right now the only real competition is the Honor Note 10, which tbh does seem like an amazing phone. What are you going to go for?

GSM's table takes things like standby into account even though it's not one of the published metrics, which none of the youtubers are doing. The A7 is ahead of it because (as they hint in their Max 3 review) idle battery draw is lower and modem performance is better. One of the things I've learned to take into account is that *all* irish operators have **** coverage compared to the continent or the US, so you are more likely to be dumped in and out of 4g/3g coverage, and therefore modem performance is a big factor. An inefficient modem constantly searching for signal is going to drain battery.

I don't want the A7, but there are a number of problems with the market right now:
    1. Flagships are stupid prices. The S5 was the best phone you could buy and it was €250 sim-free. I got mine for €50 on contract. The s8/s9 are nice but they're not "4 times the price" nice by any stretch, and to get through the day you'd have to switch off all the supposed upgrades like QHD+ resolution, always-on display etc.
    2. Battery life hasn't been a focus of any makers for a while, and it's only these "niche" phones like the Max3 or Note 10 which actually give it to you. I am not going to spend my day hunting for a charger, and considering the improvements in process tech it's embarrassing.
    3. Europe-focused manufacturers give you NFC but no storage at high prices, whereas Chinese makers give you low prices, decent specs, but skip NFC and band 20.

So the A7 looks like my best bet. Samsung's 2018 refreshes have worse battery life because they've brought unnecessary frills (QHD screens) down and killed it as a result. It would be interesting to see what Samsung could do with a genuine mid-range phablet with a 4/5,000 mah battery. Looks like they're not interested though.

Not impressed with the battery life in GSMarena's review

3days 14hrs 37seconds on one charge and plugged in the phone at 14%

this is with normal usage over three normal working days

I am really impressed with the battery life

squawker wrote: »
    3days 14hrs 37seconds on one charge and plugged in the phone at 14%

this is with normal usage over three normal working days

I am really impressed with the battery life

But it's less than its predecessor, and only on par with a phone with 2,000 mah *less* in the tank that was released over 18 months ago. I didn't say it was bad, just that it's not where it should be.

But it's less than its predecessor, and only on par with a phone with 2,000 mah *less* in the tank that was released over 18 months ago. I didn't say it was bad, just that it's not where it should be.

Its a 3 day battery, how can anyone complain about that nowadays?

Its a 3 day battery, how can anyone complain about that nowadays?

You think that going backwards compared to its predecessor (despite a bigger battery) and being on par with a phone with 2,000 mah less is a good result? 3 days is good but a) it should have done better; b) if you turn up the sliders on GSMarena's tool you'll see that for what I'd consider a normal user it's about half of that; c) the Honor Note 10 gets similar life from a smaller battery, better panel and more demanding chipset.

I'm not arguing whether 3 days is good or not. I'm saying based on the specs, this phone should be getting a good day or more over something like the Note 10 and a lot more than that over the Galaxy A7.

• Advertisement

'm saying based on the specs, this phone should be getting a good day or more over something like the Note 10 and a lot more than that over the Galaxy A7.

its on a Beta ROM, give it a chance for that to be tweaked

I am doing another test, battery at 52% after 2d 8hr on xiaomi.eu Rom MIUI 10 8.8.9

I got it. Holy crap its a big phone, such a premium feel to it though. Too tired to post properly about it but Im 100% satisfied with it, its an amazing device, cant stop looking at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭greenore

Thargor wrote: »
    I got it. Holy crap its a big phone, such a premium feel to it though. Too tired to post properly about it but Im 100% satisfied with it, its an amazing device, cant stop looking at it...

Where did you buy it and what rom it come with?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

I see honorbuy have a global Version on there site now is that an official or a knock off version?
    https://www.honorbuy.com/1509-xiaomi-mi-max-3-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html?search_query=Mi+Max+3&results=779

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

to those on here who have bought this...and got it..

how is the camera ??....specifically in low light ?

greenore wrote: »
    Where did you buy it and what rom it come with?
    TradingShenzhen let you select the .EU rom from the dropdown but they're currently out of stock of that version, just the Chinese ROM for now, dont buy the fake Global ROM whatever you do:

https://tradingshenzhen.com/en/mi-max-3/1302-mi-max3-6gb-ram-128gb-rom-snapdragon-636.html#/37-firmware-original_en_chn/62-device_color-black/130-free_gift-usb_otg_cable_eu_adapter

This thing is such a beast, nicest piece of electronics Ive ever used :D

TradingShenzhen let you select the .EU rom from the dropdown but they're currently out of stock of that version, just the Chinese ROM for now, dont buy the fake Global ROM whatever you do:

https://tradingshenzhen.com/en/mi-max-3/1302-mi-max3-6gb-ram-128gb-rom-snapdragon-636.html#/37-firmware-original_en_chn/62-device_color-black/130-free_gift-usb_otg_cable_eu_adapter

This thing is such a beast, nicest piece of electronics Ive ever used :D

What phone are you coming from? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading from the Mi Max 2

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭AH92

Would the 4gb ram be suficient if I don't do any gaming whatsoever and is the eu.rom version fine to go for ?
    Thanks!

What phone are you coming from? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading from the Mi Max 2
    Im coming from the original OneplusOne that I bought 4 years ago so easily impressed, I do love smartphones and would know more about them than most though and theres really nothing here that disappoints me. Reception was spotty today but where I work its piss poor reception, people often have no internet on their iPhones and Samsungs, its been rock solid 4G all evening here at home.
    AH92 wrote: »
    Would the 4gb ram be suficient if I don't do any gaming whatsoever and is the eu.rom version fine to go for ?
    Thanks!
    All the reviewers on youtube are on 4GB versions because 6GB only appeared the other day and they all love it, playing PUBG and everything else with no bother. Would you not just splash a bit extra for the best version though? The .eu rom is what you want right now, and if it arrives with that it will mean the bootloader is already unlocked for you when it arrives so easy to flash the Global ROM when it appears or any decent custom ROMs. A lot of people will stay on .eu forever though, it updates weekly.

Just remember its BIG device, get the dimensions from GSMarena and make a paper model of it before you buy:

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_max_3-8963.php

• Advertisement

Im coming from the original OneplusOne that I bought 4 years ago so easily impressed, I do love smartphones and would know more about them than most though and theres really nothing here that disappoints me. Reception was spotty today but where I work its piss poor reception, people often have no internet on their iPhones and Samsungs, its been rock solid 4G all evening here at home.
    All the reviewers on youtube are on 4GB versions because 6GB only appeared the other day and they all love it, playing PUBG and everything else with no bother. Would you not just splash a bit extra for the best version though? The .eu rom is what you want right now, and if it arrives with that it will mean the bootloader is already unlocked for you when it arrives so easy to flash the Global ROM when it appears or any decent custom ROMs. A lot of people will stay on .eu forever though, it updates weekly.

Just remember its BIG device, get the dimensions from GSMarena and make a paper model of it before you buy:

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_max_3-8963.php

I always have people telling me how big the 2 is but I'm just used to it now. It doesn't feel overly big anymore.

Advertisement