Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xiaomi mi max 3

Options
  • 19-07-2018 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

to be unveiled today. no word yet on global version release date though.

specs according to xda -

CPU + GPU Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 @ 1.8GHz on BIG cores, Adreno 509
    RAM + Storage 4GB or 6GB LPDDR4X RAM + 64GB or 128GB eMMC 5.1 storage, storage expandable via microSD
    Camera Rear (Dual): 12MP Sony IMX363 (1.4µm pixel size, f/1.9 aperture, dual PD focus, LED flash) + 5MP sensor
    Front (Single): 8MP camera with LED flash, (1.12µm pixel size, f/2.0 aperture)

Display 6.9-inch 2160×1080 (18:9) IPS 2.5D curved display with 1500:1 contrast ratio and 84% NTSC color gamut
    Battery 5,500mAh, supporting Quick Charge 3.0
    Ports One USB Type-C port, 3.5mm headphone jack, Hybrid Dual SIM (nanoSIM + nanoSIM or nanoSIM + microSD)
    Connectivity Dual 4G VoLTE, 2.4GHz/5GHz Wi-Fi 802.11ac MIMO, Bluetooth 5, GPS and GLONASS, IR Sensor
    Audio Dual amp stereo speakers
    Software Android 8.1 Oreo with MIUI
    Colors Meteorite Black, Dream Gold, Dark Blue
    Price CNY 1699 (~Rs. 17322/$252) for 4GB RAM + 64GB storage
    CNY 1999 (~Rs. 20377/$297) for 6GB RAM + 128GB storage

Availability China – July 20th @ 10:00CST (07:30IST)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Look like a serious piece of kit, would be interested to see how it performs against the opo6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

it appears to be the same camera (1.9 aperture) in some versions of the redmi note 5...the version i got for my son had that spec camera and i was surprisingly impressed with it....some versions of the redmi note 5 had a camera with 2.2 aperture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its more of a tablet though . 6.9 inch display and top/bottom bezels . Maybe okay if you walk around all day with it in your hand , but it won't sit comfortable in my Chino's .

no reviews yet. think it went on sale in china at 10am this morning their time. so should be some uploads over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

1. What are the key specifications of Xiaomi Mi Max 3?
      • 64GB or 128GB storage
      • 6.9″ FullHD+ display
      • Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 chipset
      • 4GB or 6GB of RAM
      • 12mp+5mp rear camera setup
      • 8mp front facing camera
      • 5500mAh battery with quick charge 3.0.
      • Android Oreo OS with MIUI UI on top.
      • Bluetooth 5.0
      • Type-C USB port
      • Black, Blue and Gold color options
    2. Why is everyone talking about this mobile?
      • Mi Max series is tailor made for those who love to use really huge display phones. This one, comes with a 6.9″ display in 6.3″ display form factor, thanks to tiny bezels.
    3. What kind of AI does it have?
      • Not really AI. There are lot of features that are presented as AI. In reality, these features are just ‘features’ that predict based on your usage.
    4. What is the price and where is it available?
      • 4GB RAM and 64GB storage is priced at 1699 yuan
      • 6GB RAM and 128GB storage is priced at 1999 yuan
    5. Does it have dedicated SD card slot?
      1. No. You can to use SIM 2 slot if you want to use SD card.
    6. Does it have water resistance?
      • No, there is no water resistance for this phone.
    7. Is the Display protected by any toughened glass?
      • Yes, Xiaomi did not mention which version of Gorilla Glass is used.
    8. Does the camera support portrait mode?
      • Yes, there is intelligent portrait mode that Xiaomi calls AI portrait.
    9. Does the camera support video shooting in 4k mode?
      • Yes, at 30fps frame rate.
    10. What is the software version on this mobile?
      • Android 8 Oreo with MIUI 10.
    11. What is the battery capacity and type of charger with this mobile?
      • There is a huge 5500mAh battery with support for QuickCharge 3.0. Even for such a huge battery, 0-71% charging is done in an hour, thanks to quick charge and parallel charging.
    12. Does it have fingerprint and face unlock?
      • Yes. There is a fingerprint reader on the back side of the phone and Face Unlock feature is also available.
    13. How strong is the phone?
      • Xiaomi Mi Max 3 comes with full metal body. Pop on a tempered glass on the display and you will have a solid phone in hand.
    14. Are there animojis on this phone?
      • No, not yet. Xiaomi is currenly working on incorporating this fun feature in MIUI.
    15. How are software updates?
      • Xiaomi is getting better at pushing OS updates and security updates. Not at the level of Moto or stock Android phones though.

• Advertisement

why do aliexpress have this available in their 'global' store, ready to ship ?
    theres no global version of this phone, yet, right ?
    english language with band 20..

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32901103757.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32901103757&

• Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

dougm1970 wrote: »
    why do aliexpress have this available in their 'global' store, ready to ship ?
    theres no global version of this phone, yet, right ?
    english language with band 20..

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32901103757.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32901103757&

That seems VERY cheap.

Wonder how it compares to the S9+ in terms of performance and the physical size of the thing (I know it's bigger, but unusably so?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Chris at TechTablets has one on the way expect a review up before the end.of the week. I trust the guy's reviews
    https://twitter.com/TechTabletscom/status/1020958825740931074?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That seems VERY cheap.

Wonder how it compares to the S9+ in terms of performance and the physical size of the thing (I know it's bigger, but unusably so?)

Its using a mid tier chip, performance won't match any of the flagship phones by a long shot.

ED E wrote: »
    Its using a mid tier chip, performance won't match any of the flagship phones by a long shot.

There still might be a pro version with a snapdragon. 710 as it's listed on the Qualcomm site
    https://twitter.com/mobilefonestren/status/1021442955847008256?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭corkie

Thargor wrote: »
    Mi Max 3 early review:

Whoever asked about speakers I don't think you'll be disappointed, he's raving about them! Camera sounds good aswell. Can't wait now, just a couple more reviews to confirm.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,904 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It's a must buy for me now I reckon, I need one soon though, is it risky buying the Chinese/English versions on Aliexpress with Xiaomis lockdown of their bootloaders the other day, will I be able to flash the Global Rom or any Rom in future if the stock one is full of bloat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's a must buy for me now I reckon, I need one soon though, is it risky buying the Chinese/English versions on Aliexpress with Xiaomis lockdown of their bootloaders the other day, will I be able to flash the Global Rom or any Rom in future if the stock one is full of bloat?
    I've a mi Max 2 for ages, last mi phone though, never let me down,but Xiaomi are vv restrictive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

but Xiaomi are vv restrictive

In what ways?

UsedToWait wrote: »

In what ways?
    Took forever to unlock phone, maybe their better now( mi didn't recognize my p.c.)

UsedToWait wrote: »

In what ways?
    Took forever to unlock phone, maybe their better now( mi didn't recognize my p.c.)
    I'm moving to Nokia 6.1 plus I reckon,pure android,nice phone,and the new mi Max 3 is too big

no way can i resist having this. even if its a second phone. trying to justify it to myself "goddamnit i work hard enough, i deserve it " :)

looking forward to that youtubers further reviews, he seems decent.

wonder what cases and tempered glass will be available...and if the tempered glass will suffer from a halo effect, which always ruins the look of phones.

no way can i resist having this. even if its a second phone. trying to justify it to myself "goddamnit i work hard enough, i deserve it " :)

looking forward to that youtubers further reviews, he seems decent.

wonder what cases and tempered glass will be available...and if the tempered glass will suffer from a halo effect, which always ruins the look of phones.
    Meet your brother. :D I think we deserve it even if I only recently picked up the One Plus 6! I just love a big screen and I he hardware is sound having had a play with the Mrs's Redmi Note 5. I will wait for TechTablets first impressions first he has the 64GB version due this week but he has the 128GB on order as he will use it as his daily driver and retire the Max2. I just want to wait a few weeks just in case a pro version turns up.

Seen this mentioned in a couple of posts on XDA and GSM Arena now but haven't seen anything official:
    Apparently Mi head of marketing responded yesterday on weibo to Mi Max 3 Pro rumors: There will be no Mi Max 3 Pro.

Edit:

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/07/25/xiaomi-mi-max-3-pro-rumors-killed-snapdragon-710-variant-does-not-exist/

Seen this mentioned in a couple of posts on XDA and GSM Arena now but haven't seen anything official:

Edit:

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/07/25/xiaomi-mi-max-3-pro-rumors-killed-snapdragon-710-variant-does-not-exist/

Yeah was just about to post it. I would say we will have to wait for the Mi Max 4 next year for the 710 chipset.

I will order a Blue version 6GB 128GB variant in the coming weeks!
    It's amazing that I will have bought this and a One Plus 6 and stilk not hit the cost of an iPhone X :D

• Advertisement

Yeah was just about to post it. I would say we will have to wait for the Mi Max 4 next year for the 710 chipset.

I will order a Blue version 6GB 128GB variant in the coming weeks!
    It's amazing that I will have bought this and a One Plus 6 and stilk not hit the cost of an iPhone X :D

i bought her indoors a xiaomi mi a1....and my two oldest lads a redmi note 5..and a nubia m2....all good phones with double battery life of mine.....and all 3 together were HALF the cost of my samsung s8+ which i bought when released.

when do you think a proper global version of the mi max 3 will arrive ?...and via european warehouses like on honorbuy ?

on aliexpress the 'global' one listed has this on the f.a.q.

Is the ROM global ROM? Does it have multi-language and Google Play?
    It's Chinese version. We will flash global ROM. It has multi-language and Google Play after flashing. It can upgrade by OTA.

but yet theres no official xiaomi global rom yet, is there ?

confused about it.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32897985587.html?pid=808_0000_0201&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32897985587&

on aliexpress the 'global' one listed has this on the f.a.q.

Is the ROM global ROM? Does it have multi-language and Google Play?
    It's Chinese version. We will flash global ROM. It has multi-language and Google Play after flashing. It can upgrade by OTA.

but yet theres no official xiaomi global rom yet, is there ?

confused about it.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32897985587.html?pid=808_0000_0201&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32897985587&
    I'm hovering over that one for the last 3 days, there's a similar listing with 5-7 day Dhl delivery for €36 EUR aswell. No pro on the horizon is pushing me right to the edge of ordering.

How long did it take for a Global Rom to appear on previous Xiaomis does anyone remember?

I'm going to go with Black, its going to be conspicuous enough as it is!

@dougm1970 If a global rom is not available, some resellers will use reseller/vendor rom.

Depending on the version of the rom, used they can not be update through MIUI etc.

http://en.miui.com/thread-392159-1-1.html

Global roms should be available as soon, as they start selling device's in India.

Expensive Mi Ranges of phones, do not have global versions, it is just that they come with Global rom preinstalled.

well, that explains that..and clearly.
    thanks corkie

Why don't they have the Global Rom ready to go? Ride the hype train from the release. Indian sales could be months away...

Depending on the sellers, xiaomi sometimes provides a pre-release rom to them, which can be updated. Clarify with the seller what kind of global rom, they will be using. It they are saying it can OTA Update, then it is more likely that type of rom. Just won't find it on the download site.

corkie wrote: »
    Depending on the sellers, xiaomi sometimes provides a pre-release rom to them, which can be updated. Clarify with the seller what kind of global rom, they will be using. It they are saying it can OTA Update, then it is more likely that type of rom. Just won't find it on the download site.

What do you think of FAQ number 3 on this link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Mi-Max-3-6GB-RAM-128GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-636-Octa-Core-6/3010045_32897985587.html?spm=2114.search0204.3.11.7b4069baWwtcSb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10342_10343_10340_10341_10696_10084_10083_10618_10304_10307_10820_10821_10302_10869_10868_10059_100031_10103_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_45,ppcSwitch_5_ppcChannel&algo_expid=ca89b02d-316d-4b4b-9d43-93c729811fd5-1&algo_pvid=ca89b02d-316d-4b4b-9d43-93c729811fd5&priceBeautifyAB=0

On mobile at the moment so can't quote it or contact the seller but they claim it's the Chinese version which they flash with the Global Rom and it has Gapps, playstore and OTA updates, too dodgy? I'll be back on a desktop on Monday to research this properly.

What do you think of FAQ number 3 on this link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Mi-Max-3-6GB-RAM-128GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-636-Octa-Core-6/3010045_32897985587.html

On mobile at the moment so can't quote it or contact the seller but they claim it's the Chinese version which they flash with the Global Rom and it has Gapps, playstore and OTA updates, too dodgy? I'll be back on a desktop on Monday to research this properly.
    3.Is the ROM global ROM? Does it have multi-language and Google Play?

Mi Global is a recommend store on xiaomi reddit.

HongKong Goldway also have it listed as well now.
    2.The phone have Playstore and Multi-language?
    Official Global Rom, Chinese Version,Have Google Play Store,Support OTA Update,Support Muli-language Below:

But lower down on the page:-
    Pls read me before you make order.

we will open the original box to check the phone and install Multi-language ROM and Google play store.Official rom will be prefered.if custom translation may does not cover all the menus.Not support OTA update.We may update the ROM,so the OS version may different as the screenshots.

Edit: - Posted a query to both sellers, even though, I have no intentions to buy. WHYRED suits me fine.

• Advertisement

I would ask for a sealed box not opened and work with the Chinese offical rom. I had a vendor rom from Goldway on a Redmi 4 pro phone I had and it was a pain to get the official global rom on it when it was rrleased.
    You can follow instructions from the Reddit site to install the play store. It's a very good sub-reddit for setting it up and debloating the Chinese rom
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/roms/optimise

Advertisement