Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xiaomi mi max 3

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

squawker wrote: »
    Honorbuy are legit, bought loads of phones from them

It will be on the official EU rom

https://www.honorbuy.com/blog/2018/09/05/xiaomi-mi-max-3-global-version-unboxing-hands-on/
    I hope so but the vendors seem to have lost their minds a bit with this fake ROM, even the Mi Global Store on Alliexpress was pushing it, its not just a bad ROM, its brutal, bad partitions that can only be fixed by flashing the original Chinese ROM first, terrible reception etc. The URL he posted says its the Global version so why would it arrive with the .eu ROM on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Thargor wrote: »
    Global version so why would it arrive with the .eu ROM on it?

I meant Global Version :o

like you I am using the Xiaomi.eu Weekly, don't think I will change off it for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭greenore

Just to update phone has arrived, it's running official global rom 9.6.7.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

greenore wrote: »

Now the long 360hr wait to unlock the bootloader ;)

greenore wrote: »
    Thats great news, the fake one sounds like a bit of a pain to fix. How are you finding it?

I just got this case in the post today and I love it, never use cases but I had to do something about the slippiness in the hand and the camera bump that I hated leaving down flat on a table in case it scratched:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Various-Smart-Phones-Hybrid-Shockproof-Plating-Case-Silicone-Cover/142907340731?hash=item2145f0f7bb:m:mkMzb1VrzQQIwo13EoE4yTQ

Fixes all those issues and actually makes the phone look better imo which is a rare thing for cheap plastic cases. Very happy with them, cant decide which look better Red or Black, Im leaning towards the black one, Im already more relaxed about handling the beast with it, throw it down on a table, stick it in a pocket etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭greenore

Thargor wrote: »
    Thats great news, the fake one sounds like a bit of a pain to fix. How are you finding it?

I just got this case in the post today and I love it, never use cases but I had to do something about the slippiness in the hand and the camera bump that I hated leaving down flat on a table in case it scratched:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Various-Smart-Phones-Hybrid-Shockproof-Plating-Case-Silicone-Cover/142907340731?hash=item2145f0f7bb:m:mkMzb1VrzQQIwo13EoE4yTQ

Fixes all those issues and actually makes the phone look better imo which is a rare thing for cheap plastic cases. Very happy with them, cant decide which look better Red or Black, Im leaning towards the black one, Im already more relaxed about handling the beast with it, throw it down on a table, stick it in a pocket etc.

Great bit of kit alright, spent all day yesterday setting it up and getting all my apps installed, coming from a Mi Max 1 can notice battery life superb, got a similar cover as i read up about slipperiness lol

As you say now the long wait for bootloader to be unlocked lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

had my eye off the ball with all things mi max 3 over the past month...so i have some questions ...apologies if all these already covered...

1. is there now an official proper global version ?...is it on honorbuy and how much is it ?

2. the low light camera performance has me pausing on it...some youtube reviews shows it to be ok...but frankietechs video showed it to be awful...but maybe global version is different...i'd like to hear from those of you with the phone.

3. i have a samsung s8+....but i am a sucker for big phones, bigger the better... i got my son the redmi note 5 and 2 trivial things i am jealous of, double tap to wake and fm radio (which i would use) i presume the mi max 3 is same. ....but i would miss the reassurance of samsungs water resistance as i do walk in rain a lot (i'm a postman)
    so...my question i suppose is, would going from s8+ to mi max 3 seem like a good upgrade screen size wise ?...i do really like the redmi note 5 screen btw.

thanks in advance for any replies.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    had my eye off the ball with all things mi max 3 over the past month...so i have some questions ...apologies if all these already covered...

1. is there now an official proper global version ?...is it on honorbuy and how much is it ?

2. the low light camera performance has me pausing on it...some youtube reviews shows it to be ok...but frankietechs video showed it to be awful...but maybe global version is different...i'd like to hear from those of you with the phone.

3. i have a samsung s8+....but i am a sucker for big phones, bigger the better... i got my son the redmi note 5 and 2 trivial things i am jealous of, double tap to wake and fm radio (which i would use) i presume the mi max 3 is same. ....but i would miss the reassurance of samsungs water resistance as i do walk in rain a lot (i'm a postman)
    so...my question i suppose is, would going from s8+ to mi max 3 seem like a good upgrade screen size wise ?...i do really like the redmi note 5 screen btw.

thanks in advance for any replies.
    -Official Global version is shipping now, someone in this thread already got it a while back, haven't heard anything bad said about it, Im sticking with the .EU Rom though, cant fault it. Confirm with the vendor its not the fake Global ROM before you buy.

-Low light performance is fine, I honestly cant replicate what Frankietech was reporting, Id say it was a software issue with the early releases or Chinese ROM and other people say Opencamera or Google camera is a massive improvement but I dont notice anything and just use the stock camera app, its a good camera indoors and in low light, its a great camera outdoors in good light.

-FM Radio is there, its fine, refuses to work without headphones, hopping between preset stations is instant, reception seems strong, no complaints. Another feature it has is the IR blaster on the top, install a remote app and control your tvs/entertainment centers etc, pretty handy.

-Double Tap to wake is there, no other off screen functions that I can see, still miss drawing a circle on the off screen to unlock straight into camera that my Oneplus did, that was so handy. You wont be using double tap to wake anyway, the fingerprint and face unlock performance is amazing, you'll never go back to double tap and swiping, it could not be any more instant, the nanosecond it detects your finger or face its unlocked and showing the desktop. Its so fast I was suspicious of it so I got others to try it but it seems secure, including against my brother who could pass for my twin.

-I really dont know how much of an upgrade over the S8+ it is though, S8+ is still a beast and a great looking screen. I mean the screen on the Mi Max 3 is amazing and so is the camera to me coming from a Oneplus One but Samsung screens and cameras are about as good as it gets, my brother is still on a Samsung Note 5 from 2015 and the pics he takes are indistinguishable from 2018 phones and better than most to my eye, Samsung are the king for a reason. Not having to charge for 2 days could be handy to a postman though. I dont know if waterproofing is that big a deal, Ive never had a waterproof phone and I cycle in the Wicklow mountains getting completely soaked a lot, never had an issue with any phone.

Heres Frankietech praising the night time performance on the Max 3 vs the Honor 8X Max (7.12" screen!) now, maybe the Chinese ROM he's using got an upgrade, like I said I cant find an issue with it in low light, but then again someone who's used to Samsung or iPhone cameras might see a difference straight away:

whats difference between global and eu rom ?

• Advertisement

I honestly dont know, I just saw that people on XDA were happy with it, its a Xiaomi MIUI rom though so expect some bloatware, you are still allowed uninstall it all straight out of the box though, Ive seen plenty of Youtube reviews do that, and MIUI is actually a great OS, Im always finding handy little features and settings that it will be hard to lose if I go back to stock Android, getting rid of the back and home buttons in favour of edge swiping should be a standard option on all Androids, its great. The .eu rom is nearly identical and has been popular on various MI phones for a long time now, its optimized for RAM and battery usage (apparently) and a lot of other tweaks, full list here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-max-3/development/rom-xiaomi-eu-miui-10-mi-max-3-t3825680

Downside is that it is an unofficial ROM so no automatic OTA updates, if you want to update it you have to do it manually (updates released weekly), so unlocking the bootloader, dragging the update .zip over, boot into recovery mode, wipe cache, flash the update, wipe cache, reboot. I dont bother unless I hear something big like the improved modem performance it got the other day (great reception on this phone btw, it was pretty weak when it first came if you were in a marginal area but rock solid now).

Its good to be able to flash ROMs on phones like this, when the real custom ROMs get started Im hoping for 3-4 days of battery life, I dont see how they'll improve the speed of anything else though, its lightening fast as it is. Xiaomi have started adding anti-rollback protection now though so you have to be very careful not to brick the phone if you wander away from the official ROM.

ok. i am finally ready to order this next week.....but confused with all the previous fake global versions....could some friendly person link me to a genuine proper global one please....i see one on honorbuy, but not sure how genuine it is...i like ordering from honorbuy via the eu warehouses, very fast delivery..

https://www.honorbuy.com/1509-xiaomi-mi-max-3-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

also, is there a 6gb/128gb global version ?

anyone use tempered glass on theirs here ?

so...got this phone now...global version.... 4gb ram / 64gb .
    got it from honorbuy. took 2 days to arrive...from italy !! :)

my total cost inc dhl express, a cheap clear cover and cheap tempered glass...was just shy of 300 euros.

typical of me, i don't think i'll keep it now....i underestimated just how big it would be....my current phone is 6.2" and i didnt expect the difference to be so much...it really is huge for a phone...too big for me.
    also, camera is ok, but low light middling, and panaroma not good in any light.

so...i might hang on and keep it as a spare to play with.....but if anyone here is thinking about getting this, and wants to make me an offer, it wont have been used much (only had it two days and wont be using it as primary device).

i'm in sligo...and can send photos...hook up on facebook or whatever if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

so...got this phone now...global version.... 4gb ram / 64gb .
    got it from honorbuy. took 2 days to arrive...from italy !! :)

my total cost inc dhl express, a cheap clear cover and cheap tempered glass...was just shy of 300 euros.

typical of me, i don't think i'll keep it now....i underestimated just how big it would be....my current phone is 6.2" and i didnt expect the difference to be so much...it really is huge for a phone...too big for me.
    also, camera is ok, but low light middling, and panaroma not good in any light.

so...i might hang on and keep it as a spare to play with.....but if anyone here is thinking about getting this, and wants to make me an offer, it wont have been used much (only had it two days and wont be using it as primary device).

i'm in sligo...and can send photos...hook up on facebook or whatever if needed.

If you still have it next Thursday I'd be interested.

If you still have it next Thursday I'd be interested.

ok. i wont be using much between now and then, if at all...although it is a good phone..just that bit too big to be practical for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

ok. i wont be using much between now and then, if at all...although it is a good phone..just that bit too big to be practical for me.

I have the mi max 2 at the moment so used to the size. I don't even notice it anymore, I just know I could never go back to a non-phablet phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Has anyone been able to remove the white background from the icons?

Yeah theres options somewhere to change their shape, install icon packs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Are you looking for a case for a Xiaomi Mi Max 3? I have a second, sealed in the box.

Details here:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Armo...932406282.html
    €3.30

If you're interested let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paulmc.

Can anyone tell me the difference between this and the global version please
    The global version is out of stock for a while seemingly :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement