Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xiaomi mi max 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was used to it after one day at work tbh. Need to put a case on it though, its too slippy.

Dont forget to check out the Pocofone either, its looking very promising.

Haha, just opened the Mi Remote app, it asked me what kind of device I wanted to set up, I said tv, it asked what type, I said Samsung. It turned the volume up and down then opened the menu on the tv, asked me if the volume had gone up and down and the menu opened, I said yes and it put a shortcut called Living Room tv on my desktop, now the phone controls the tv :D

TETyGe6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^ check the permissions that app requires - is it not the one Corkie reported basically wanted your mother's maiden name?

edit: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107789149&postcount=42

Meh, I blocked all its permissions anyway, plus its a Xiaomi phone running MIUI so if they want your data they probably already have it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

how are you getting on Thargor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

and hows the camera ?

squawker wrote: »
    how are you getting on Thargor?
    Absolutely loving it, genuinely cant fault it apart from needing a case to reduce the slipperiness, apart from that there isnt a single thing about it that annoys me in any way.

Do you notice it doesn't get warm at all no matter what you do to it? That should be good for keeping the ridiculous battery healthy. Im getting 2 days of life out of it, Ill easily stretch that to 3 when I stop playing with it every minute of the day.

I just cant get on with MIUI without the Nova launcher laid over the top though, no app drawer and no tray of most frequently used down the bottom of every screen was driving me nuts.

I know I keep saying Im coming from a 4 year old phone so Im easily impressed but nothing about this seems less than a flagship to me, you could stick a Samsung logo on it and charge a grand for it, the metal body and the weight fives it such a premium feel, instant game loading, PUBG on max etc. Anyone you show it to is completely amazed by it and wants to play with it, the screen is actually jaw-dropping, I wanted a big phone for reading comics on and this didn't disappoint, sometimes the images, coulors and text are so crisp its distracting, same for HD Youtube, games etc.

Did I mention Im happy with it? :D
    dougm1970 wrote: »
    and hows the camera ?
    Im going to give it a full workout tomorrow on a hike, havent had a chance to play with it properly yet. A guy at work was comparing it with the portrait mode on his iPhone X yesterday though and there was nothing in it, might even lean towards the Mi Max 3 in a blind test.

One little niggle actually is the data reception in weak areas is bad, as in if it drops to 3G you're going to be struggling to load a webpage, H+ is slow aswell. On LTE it loads web pages faster than Chrome on my gaming pc on Virgins best BB package, lightning fast. This only happens in one place though which just happens to be where I work which is kind of annoying, literally anywhere else its 100% 4G all the time, theres built in signal statistics with the battery stats, Dublin down to Galway all perfect 4G all day then the minute I go to work it starts dropping, same thing happens to Samsungs and iPhones in that place though. I told it to stay on LTE only with *#*'4636#*#* and that fixed it. 3 has always been a bit of a nightmare in Bray on any phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Does it play hd netflix? Most of the xiaomi's don't it appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

Appreciate the posts Thargor!

A few pics from a walk up Bray Head today, default settings in the stock app, light was okay, haven't played around with anything yet, HDR and AI assistant were on and I changed aspect ratio to 16:9 from 4:3. I wanted to get some nice nature shots but I forgot the cliff walk had recently been incinerated!

Not sure if Google Images rehosted on Imgur is the best way to show off the quality but it'll give you an idea. The best place for viewing your photos by far is on the screen itself, everything looks stunning on it, and you can zoom in for a fairly impressive amount of detail:

FhPEppq.jpg

RFVYy63.jpg

eLN2k2s.jpg

Zdu8HQ0.jpg

4DGwkHN.jpg

cJJkf6W.jpg

JZrNzqj.jpg

epaGJmO.jpg

EWp8aou.jpg

qNuTnVK.jpg

UoQHzOy.jpg

jvZrjVD.jpg

kdrS0vg.jpg

oGdWVEa.jpg

NlK1Afp.jpg

At first it felt a bit unwieldy for photography, especially compared to the OneplusOne which let you draw a circle on the screen when the phone is off to unlock straight into the camera, great feature, I was really missing it here but by the end of my walk a combination of fingerprint/face unlock (face unlock and the fingerprint reader are absolutely instant on Mi Max 3, the best Ive ever seen) and the swipe for camera shortcut on the lockscreen meant its actually easier to get it into your hand and snap a pic than other phones Ive had.

Im pleased anyway, I will be installing the Google Camera Mod soon though, people on XDA are saying its a major camera upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Thargor wrote: »

Im pleased anyway, I will be installing the Google Camera Mod soon though, people on XDA are saying its a major camera upgrade.

can you do that with this phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Does it play hd netflix? Most of the xiaomi's don't it appears.

No it doesn't, it's not L1 certified

Double balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I don't think the phone that ticks every box has been invented yet.

No. I'd settle for one that ticks most of them though! Still faking back to the a7....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭greenore

Geekbuying.com are claiming to have stock of mi max 3 with official global rom? What you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

greenore wrote: »
    Geekbuying.com are claiming to have stock of mi max 3 with official global rom? What you guys think?

Had a look but don't see euro warehouse shipping... The crowd below looks like they have
    https://www.honorbuy.com/1509-xiaomi-mi-max-3-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html?search_query=Mi+Max+3&results=774

• Advertisement

Oh wow I flashed the latest xaoimi.eu rom last night and all my reception issues at work evaporated! Posting this over H+ in an office where a lot of people have to step outside to make a voice call.

Just ordered the Global version from honorbuy, now just need a case, any recommendations lads?

greenore wrote: »
    Just ordered the Global version from honorbuy, now just need a case, any recommendations lads?
    Got a link to what you actually bought? If its the fake global vendor rom I would seriously reconsider.

Thargor wrote:
    Got a link to what you actually bought? If its the fake global vendor rom I would seriously reconsider.

https: //www. honorbuy.com /1509-xiaomi-mi-max-3-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html?search_query=Mi+max+3&results=774

- Mi Max 3 supports only English and Chinese now.
    It says it only supports English and Chinese in the description, so probably the Chinese ROM, you'll be able to flash the Global ROM when it does appear though, or cancel your order and buy from somewhere else, according to XDA the global ROM is starting to appear now.

Im on the Xiaomi.eu ROM and Im going to stick with it, it has battery/memory optimization and a lot of other stuff, you lose OTA updates though.

Anyone know what the version number is for the global rom? So I know what I have when it arrives?

I'll get you some links when I'm at home on desktop but I doubt you have the official Global ROM on that device, it was barely released in the last couple of days. You need to be very careful before you do anything to fix it (fake global vendor rom has terrible reception so you will need to flash). Anti rollback is in effect on xaoimi devices now so you need to watch it or you'll brick the device. Make an account over on XDA Developers and read the threads.

Above post is same link I purchased from, I am aware of anti roll back issues, be interesting when it arrives which will be Monday according to DHL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Honorbuy are legit, bought loads of phones from them

It will be on the official EU rom

https://www.honorbuy.com/blog/2018/09/05/xiaomi-mi-max-3-global-version-unboxing-hands-on/

Advertisement