Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Calhoun wrote: »
    See Marian is giving a human trafficker some air time.

See the Trumpkins have tuned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

alaimacerc wrote: »

Need to tune in can't leave it to the soyboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

.......or just someone who has a different opinion to you. This must not be tolerated without insult or pigeon-holing.

quintana76 wrote: »
    .......or just someone who has a different opinion to you.

No, a different opinion would be as to whether she was right or wrong on the issue she's on to discuss. "She's a human trafficker" is an error of fact. And a deliberate one at that, I think fairly clearly.
    This must not be tolerated without insult or pigeon-holing.
    It mustn't? If you say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Now he's yelling into the mic about how outrageous and monstrous it is that pronoun use be -- and I quote directly -- be "enforced". Right after his soliloquy about what a fine and fitting thing "enforced" -- again, his very word in this very interview -- monogamy is.

There's a law for monogamy now? Are people guilty of a hate crime if they are not monogamous? The nice thing about Peterson is that because he is careful with his language, those that wish to discredit him have to deliberately either misquote him or twist his words. 'Yelling into the mic'? It would be somewhat out of character.

Does not even have the small bit of brains...

Mutterings of the demon.

You could simply say that you don't like him because the political affiliation you identify with is against him. It would be honest and more edifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

the 'ork- itchect' , asking everyone to pay 2250 euro to be told to build a flat roof extension with sliding doors ala Dermot Bannon..... really hope some people remember the bust .... it wasn't even ten years ago !!

Love it when the extreme left show their intolerance, anyone who disagrees with me is a trumpkin or small brains ect :).

As for the topic at hand, Marian had a supposed NGO member on complaining that EU governments are ensuring people coming from Libya are not coming across the dangerous Atlantic and the organizations facilitating the human trafficking gangs are being criminalized.

NGO's do not get to decide immigration policies for sovereign nations and when you facilitate the human traffickers you pretty much are one.

She also had a nice poke at our government and many of the other EU governments while barely being challenged. Would have been nice to have a strong counter point.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Looks like I missed a show that broke from the usual "bring your own fags" chin-rub.

I did catch the woman talking about refugees. Thought she did her and their plight no help. Fair play to Marian for asking a few awkward questions- unfortunately the rep in question deflected each one and skipped straight to pleadings of the heart.
    Personally I think that well is starting to run dry and tougher questions need to be answered as simplistic solutions aren't working.

There's a law for monogamy now? Are people guilty of a hate crime if they are not monogamous? The nice thing about Peterson is that because he is careful with his language, those that wish to discredit him have to deliberately either misquote him or twist his words.
    It's a nice thing people say of him, at any rate. Though mainly himself, and people parroting everything he says, it must be said. Be nicer if it were remotely true.

He has just, on this very programme, repeated his view that monogamy should be enforced. Either "enforced" means "enforced", or it doesn't. Either he's being coy about his authoritarianism, and wants it enforced, y'know, as in with force, or he's merely speaking of what's normative, but doing so in overwrought and hyperbolic terms.

Either way, it's deeply sloppy use of language. Hence the epic irony of him sanctimoniously preaching to his amazingly credulous followers about "precision".

The Trump of psychology, indeed.
    'Yelling into the mic'? It would be somewhat out of character.
    He acts "out of character" quite a bit, then. As in, in every live piece I've seen him do. Mind you, the interviewers have been women in each case. Perhaps he deals better with being interrupted, contradicted, or otherwise challenged by interlocuters he sees as his peers in the gender hierarchy.
    Mutterings of the demon.
    Interesting choice of words. Isn't the whole point of JBP's schtick to keep the sort of social reaction that's traditionally associated with conservative religion, supposedly plausibly secular?
    You could simply say that you don't like him because the political affiliation you identify with is against him. It would be honest and more edifying.
    Sure, cling to whatever comforting caricature you wish. While, hilariously, attributing that very behaviour to others.

humberklog wrote: »
    Looks like I missed a show that broke from the usual "bring your own fags" chin-rub.

I did catch the woman talking about refugees. Thought she did her and their plight no help. Fair play to Marian for asking a few awkward questions- unfortunately the rep in question deflected each one and skipped straight to pleadings of the heart.
    Personally I think that well is starting to run dry and tougher questions need to be answered as simplistic solutions aren't working.

It is indeed, and i do agree that she asked some hard questions but realistically she didn't push to hard. Particularly as there was allot of anti EU government rhetoric.

The answer in my mind cannot be just an open borders policy, nor should we be allowing NGO's facilitate criminal organizations. I did agree with her point though on more needs to be done in the home location to improve things.

• Advertisement

It's a nice thing people say of him, at any rate. Though mainly himself, and people parroting everything he says, it must be said. Be nicer if it were remotely true.

He has just, on this very programme, repeated his view that monogamy should be enforced. Either "enforced" means "enforced", or it doesn't. Either he's being coy about his authoritarianism, and wants it enforced, y'know, as in with force, or he's merely speaking of what's normative, but doing so in overwrought and hyperbolic terms.

Either way, it's deeply sloppy use of language. Hence the epic irony of him sanctimoniously preaching to his amazingly credulous followers about "precision".

Okay, so I went to the trouble of looking up the podcast, and I have written the relevant transcript for our benefit

You said it was alleged that I made controversial comments, that's exactly right, you got the terminology right there. What I pointed out that social enforcement of monogamous norms is one way that societies around the world keep male aggression at bay, and that's a solid finding from a hundred years of anthropology; one that's often cited by people on the left. So what happened in that New York Times article that you're referring to was that that was taken radically out of context - and the reporter knew that perfectly well, she was a very intelligent young woman, she knew exactly what she was doing when she did that - and to make the case that monogamous social norms, which are pretty much universal around the world, by the way, even though some people have some tendency towards multiple partners, the reason that monogamous social norms emerged was partially to keep male aggression under control. That's not controversial - anybody who knows the anthropological literature understands this.

That's the purpose of it?

Well.. there's a variety of purposes but that's definitely one. Polygamous societies are way more violent. Not a little bit more violent - way more violent. Yeah, so that's part of the purpose - there's a variety of purposes: you want people to have long-term stable partners because that's probably for men and women in general -

Love?

Well, yes, that would be good if it can be managed [...] The primary reason that monogamy is enforced socially is for children, as far as I can tell, because obviously children are dependent for very long periods of time

So yeah, I'd chalk that up as you misquoting for the sake of an agenda.
    He acts "out of character" quite a bit, then. As in, in every live piece I've seen him do. Mind you, the interviewers have been women in each case. Perhaps he deals

Aaahhh. I'll just pretend you didn't keep going after this point.

EDIT -

I didn't bother listening to the rest of the podcast to see whether or not this is correct, as you have proven to be incorrect on your earlier point, notwithstanding your clear bias. It is possible that that was the case in this instance, which, if true, you can claim is proof of misogyny, if you like. Or in other words, continue what you're already doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

No, a different opinion would be as to whether she was right or wrong on the issue she's on to discuss. "She's a human trafficker" is an error of fact. And a deliberate one at that, I think fairly clearly.

It mustn't? If you say so.

Ok "aider and abetter of human traffickers" then. Coordinating with them to pick up "refugee" boats outside Libyan territorial waters. This has lead to many drowning by the way. They have blood on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Now he's yelling into the mic about how outrageous and monstrous it is that pronoun use be -- and I quote directly -- be "enforced". Right after his soliloquy about what a fine and fitting thing "enforced" -- again, his very word in this very interview -- monogamy is.

Does not even have the small bit of brains...

You clearly didn't listen to what he said. 'Enforced monogamy' is a term that goes back hundreds of years and doesn't mean what you think it means.

You clearly didn't listen to what he said. 'Enforced monogamy' is a term that goes back hundreds of years and doesn't mean what you think it means.

No, I listened to what he said. You didn't read the part where I pointed out it was nonsense.

I'll reiterate as simply and clearly as I can: he's playing bait-and-switch.

So yeah, I'd chalk that up as you misquoting for the sake of an agenda.
    I'm sure you would. Shame you didn't demonstrate any any misquoting.
    It is possible that that was the case in this instance, which, if true, you can claim is proof of misogyny, if you like. Or in other words, continue what you're already doing.
    "Proof" is a big word. I'd hardly be so rash as to have any expectation of demonstrating any such in the face of raging preconceptions of his wonderfulness. And as I said, I've only heard him interviewed by women, so it's entirely possible he's just as petulant and irascible with everyone. (Or with a non-gender random biased sample.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Wow, so a newspaper reports that Angela Kerins was partying on a boat, when she was actually receiving medical treatment, and Marian passed on that story on her show. They should be ashamed of themselves. And especially for someone who looks down her nose at the assertions that anybody in the media could be responsible for Fake News. When you look at the Disclosures Tribunal, I think the main thing that I learnt is that journalists are just as petty, childish, self preserving and as liberal with the truth as those who are not members of their supposedly noble and honest profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ahern's v quiet has hardly said anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Isn't it great when everyone agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,806 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Ahern's v quiet has hardly said anything?

Perhaps he's depleted his lifetime quota of bullshyt.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Good show today but Marion took 2 breaks practically one after the other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

honeybear wrote: »
    Good show today but Marion took 2 breaks practically one after the other

Yeah that was kind of weird.

So it's OK to support Croatia now. During the week anyone who said they were supporting them got a bollocking for not supporting England .

I'm sure you would. Shame you didn't demonstrate any any misquoting.

Yes I did. You said that he, very specifically, said that monogamy should be enforced. You didn't provide proof he said this. I provided proof he didn't. You've sufficiently wasted my time by this stage.

Bertie supports Croatia..... the captain has to go on trial for perjury and the Croatian football association is rife with corruption..... Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Oops69 wrote: »
    Bertie supports Croatia..... the captain has to go on trial for perjury and the Croatian football association is rife with corruption..... Just saying.

Just like us so.... nice one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Listened to the Jordan Peterson cause of posts here. Sweet suffering baby jebus, what an absolute spoofer! I’d never heard of him till he was mentioned here. How people paid to hear him waffle, felt Marian did well with him but you could tell she knew he was a spoofer, could hear her eyes rolling through it.

pc7 wrote: »
    Listened to the Jordan Peterson cause of posts here. Sweet suffering baby jebus, what an absolute spoofer! I’d never heard of him till he was mentioned here. How people paid to hear him waffle, felt Marian did well with him but you could tell she knew he was a spoofer, could hear her eyes rolling through it.

So that’s JP! Think all the panel made good contributions. To be fair to Marion, she moderated very well.

honeybear wrote: »
    So that’s JP! Think all the panel made good contributions. To be fair to Marion, she moderated very well.

Think I have mixed JP up-heard podcast re JP on Joe Duffy yesterday

Yes I did. You said that he, very specifically, said that monogamy should be enforced. You didn't provide proof he said this. I provided proof he didn't. You've sufficiently wasted my time by this stage.

What a lot of nonsense. There was an extended discussion on the phrase "enforced monogamy", and how, somehow, this didn't mean "monogamy that was enforced". Who's wasting whose time here?

What he did mean by it originally is anyone's guess. He's apparently claimed it's a "technical" term from anthropology. Anthropologists beg to differ. Some of his defenders have claimed it's from biology; actually, it seems to see only very incidental use there, and not in any sense other than "enforced".

If his remark in its original context makes any sense at all, it didn't just mean, as he sought to imply on this appearance by contrasting it with other norms (presumably Islamic, sub-Saharan Africa, Fundie Mormon, etc), present Western norms of monogamy. That wouldn't issue incels with girlfriends, as they're from that very culture, bemoaning that it doesn't. He's at the very least talking about reverting to earlier norms -- '50s, maybe? 17th century? Paleolithic? He makes himself obscure.

How you do this without making women's other options considerably worse, with enough compulsion to make this happen, is anyone's guess too.

But why worry about such details? It seems to put bums on seats, and bucks on Patreon.

What he did mean by it originally is anyone's guess. He's apparently claimed it's a "technical" term from anthropology. Anthropologists beg to differ. Some of his defenders have claimed it's from biology; actually, it seems to see only very incidental use there, and not in any sense other than "enforced".

Monogamy is socially enforced, in Ireland today. Maybe if you could tell me what part of this you are struggling with I could help you. If the bit you're struggling with is how to make Peterson look like a misogynist, I'd say you should first abandon this dead horse.

• Advertisement

The gardener woman sounds like she's been at the juniper berries in the Green room already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement