Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Had a listen to their shows when they first started, decided not for me, not that bizarre really, a load of people on here can't stand Finnucane yet listen to her show, why?

Because even though you mightn't like the presenter the programme can still be good. I wouldn't have much time for Finucane but the panel discussion reviewing the papers are good. Same with the Guardian or the Irish Times. I disagree with their editorials but they still provide good content.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Letter to Indo today praising Marion’s interview with Liadh no Riada. Ended with a suggestion that Marion might make a good President

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

honeybear wrote: »
    Letter to Indo today praising Marion’s interview with Liadh no Riada. Ended with a suggestion that Marion might make a good President

Paper never refused ink :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Callan57 wrote: »
    Paper never refused ink :rolleyes:

It was a pretty good interview. Showed serious weakness in the potential candidate. As for Marian... why on earth would she take the pay cut and increase in work load.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

And long periods without a fag break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,137 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It was a pretty good interview. Showed serious weakness in the potential candidate. As for Marian... why on earth would she take the pay cut and increase in work load.

No reason whatsoever, but if she was told whatever contract she has won’t be renewed after whatever time ,then that might tighten things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

No reason whatsoever, but if she was told whatever contract she has won’t be renewed after whatever time ,then that might tighten things up a bit.

All very fine but she would still a few people to vote for her:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

Listened to it earlier to see if she raised the issue of her views on the cervical cancer vaccine, which apparently she didn't let her daughter get. The whole cervical cancer scandal is a recent thing, so I wouldn't have held that against her, but I was gob-smacked to learn that her mother and husband both died of cancer. Why would she be against a vaccine that prevents cancer, then?? But, Marian didn't ask .. as far as I can tell, having skipped over bits I wasn't interested in.

I can't see it happening though... she is afaik one of the most popular radio presenters in the country, aren't shows on the weekend almost always the most listened to? Besides I'd imagine Newstalk would snap her up in a heartbeat.

I can't see it happening though... she is afaik one of the most popular radio presenters in the country, aren't shows on the weekend almost always the most listened to? Besides I'd imagine Newstalk would snap her up in a heartbeat.

Maybe, maybe not, but would the pay and conditions be comparable.

Doubt it...ask Pat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm still not convinced her weekend show is popular because of her being the presenter. It could just as easily be the case that on weekend mornings people just like to listen to magazine type programs such as hers or will turn on the radio out of habit. She is vastly overpaid for what she does, even more so than the other RTE presenters who are on big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I like Marion as a presenter but her wages are crazy. Brendan does a good job any time he fills in for her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭blazard

honeybear wrote: »
    I like Marion as a presenter but her wages are crazy. Brendan does a good job any time he fills in for her.

i like her too, she has her own style as all the established presenters do.

brendan is the one of the few that actually keeps the show on same path as opposed to many other programmes that have stand ins, that dont work

sean moncrieff for example. not the same without him:)

Maybe, maybe not, but would the pay and conditions be comparable.

Doubt it...ask Pat.

As far as I recall the reporting at the time was that Pat 'switched the dial' for a very considerable amount of money and better conditions.

As far as I recall the reporting at the time was that Pat 'switched the dial' for a very considerable amount of money and better conditions.

Hmmm extra hour a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Hmmm extra hour a day?

Yes, another big drawback of the entire process.

blazard wrote: »
    sean moncrieff for example. not the same without him:)

His usual drop-in replacement seems to be Tom Dunne, who's hardly even a NewStalk scheduler's idea of a like-for-like, surely.

plodder wrote: »
    Listened to it earlier to see if she raised the issue of her views on the cervical cancer vaccine, which apparently she didn't let her daughter get. The whole cervical cancer scandal is a recent thing, so I wouldn't have held that against her, but I was gob-smacked to learn that her mother and husband both died of cancer. Why would she be against a vaccine that prevents cancer, then?? But, Marian didn't ask .. as far as I can tell, having skipped over bits I wasn't interested in.

The screening programme thing is surely quite separate as an issue. Why wouldn't you be in favour of a cancer-preventing vaccine anyway?

People seem to compartmentalise these things weirdly, though. I've had people say flat-out to me that if they give a permish for their kid to get it, and she develops some sort of mild reaction, that'd be a crippling weight on their conscience. But if they don't, and she later gets cancer, well, that's not on them, that was just meant to be.

Hmmm extra hour a day?

With a massive increase in holidays... (not to mention the pay, and control matters).

Regardless, unless you have a specific hope for Marian to either be made unemployed or pursue the Presidency I am a little at a loss for at the course of this discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I'm still not convinced her weekend show is popular because of her being the presenter. It could just as easily be the case that on weekend mornings people just like to listen to magazine type programs such as hers or will turn on the radio out of habit. She is vastly overpaid for what she does, even more so than the other RTE presenters who are on big money.

Totally disagree, Brendan is a poor replacement for her, like Pat Kenny she makes the slot she's in, if she left for Newstalk etc I'd switch like I did with Pat, when he's on holiday the replacements don't hold a candle to him either. And his RTE replacement Sean O Rourke is a bore.

• Advertisement

Totally disagree, Brendan is a poor replacement for her, like Pat Kenny she makes the slot she's in, if she left for Newstalk etc I'd switch like I did with Pat, when he's on holiday the replacements don't hold a candle to him either. And his RTE replacement Sean O Rourke is a bore.

Thankfully most discerning and constructive listeners wouldn’t concur with that opinion.

Thankfully most discerning and constructive listeners wouldn’t concur with that opinion.

There's so much choice now no one needs to listen to presenters they dislike, 70% of comments here are about how awful Finnucane is not the show, switch off if that's how you (one) feels.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Just a reminder of the charter

those of the “if you don’t like it, change the channel” variety and not allowed.
    Both pro- and anti- show opinions are equally welcome.

Ridiculous rule.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ridiculous rule.

Mod Note

(as per charter) - The Radio forum itself is NOT the place for discussion of THIS charter. If you wish to query, debate or discuss these rules, please do so via PM with the moderators of the forum, the Feedback or Helpdesk forums.

But to add we did ask for feedback recently on the forum you could have aired your views then.

Anything further as above take to pm, or feedback forums.

thanks
    PC7

• Registered Users Posts: 20,726 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nobody consulted me. There are hundreds of thousands of listeners. Maybe most of them do not share your view. Who knows.

Nobody consulted me. There are hundreds of thousands of listeners. Maybe most of them do not share your view. Who knows.

Well,my friend if the view quoted above was valid there would be a huge drop when Ballsy is presenting - not happening.

When PK left the arse didn’t fall out of that slot,and if SOR was a bore,he hardly would have held his audience.

I think that’s quite good evidence that most do share my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'm still not convinced her weekend show is popular because of her being the presenter. It could just as easily be the case that on weekend mornings people just like to listen to magazine type programs such as hers or will turn on the radio out of habit.
    This idea that people just listen out of habit has been proven time and again to be false. So many examples ...

Gerry Ryan died - the 300,000 who listened tuned out, never to return.
    Ray D'Arcy left his slot in TodayFM - similarly his slot has not recovered.
    D-Arcy then moved to RTE and immediately improved the figures on the awful programme that The Mooney Show had become.
    John Murray's departure, replaced by Tubridy, resulted in a large uptick of listeners to that slot.

And so on.
    She is vastly overpaid for what she does, even more so than the other RTE presenters who are on big money.
    Couldn't disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Nobody consulted me either ... if they had I'd probably have been a "don't know" :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,139 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The big guy :cool:

EDIT: Talking to Brendan :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement