Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,226 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Callan57 wrote: »
    Major parties will want to keep their war chests for a GE ... certainly won't want to go splashing it for the sake of a presidential campaign with no hope of winning

FF and FG would certainly have been in like Flynn with a candidate had he vacated.

Like others here they don't like him but know that any move to criticise him or run against him would backfire. Cowardice is the real reason, not money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,156 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

FF and FG would certainly have been in like Flynn with a candidate had he vacated.

Like others here they don't like him but know that any move to criticise him or run against him would backfire. Cowardice is the real reason, not money.

Why don’t SF run a canditate,they can’t sit on the fence forever.

What evidence or back up do you have for suggesting cowardice?

Why don’t SF run a canditate,they can’t sit on the fence forever.

What evidence or back up do you have for suggesting cowardice?

There were plenty of stories of people being groomed for a run.
    They did their polls and research and realised that the Irish were mostly happy with the incumbent.
    They decided not to challenge him if he decided to stay for a second term. They are entitled to though.

I suspect it was cowardice - the fear of losing not money that dissuaded them.

*Far as I know SF ran Martin McG last time out.

There were plenty of stories of people being groomed for a run.
    They did their polls and research and realised that the Irish were mostly happy with the incumbent.
    They decided not to challenge him if he decided to stay for a second term. They are entitled to though.

*Far as I know SF ran Martin McG last time out.

That’s fair enough Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

There were plenty of stories of people being groomed for a run. [...]

Ah, so basically, assuming the worst of motives on top of vague rumour. People I dislike always do things for the worst possible reasons. Or so it makes me feel better to tell myself!

Even if possible candidates were being looked at, big difference if this is in a hypothetical "Michael D doesn't run again" scenario -- in theory we're all supposedly still on tenterhooks, recall -- vs a supposed embittered attempt to unseat him.

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Ah, so basically, assuming the worst of motives on top of vague rumour. People I dislike always do things for the worst possible reasons. Or so it makes me feel better to tell myself!

Even if possible candidates were being looked at, big difference if this is in a hypothetical "Michael D doesn't run again" scenario -- in theory we're all supposedly still on tenterhooks, recall -- vs a supposed embittered attempt to unseat him.

No assuming on 'vague' anything. FF hedged their bets (refused to say whether they would run a candidate or not) until it was fairly certain that MH would run for another term.
    Even there erstwhile member and now political pundit called it a smart move to row in behind MH for a second term.

They hadn't the balls to run against basically but would have run a candidate had he left. It would have cost the same money either way, so money can't have been the issue.

No assuming on 'vague' anything. FF hedged their bets (refused to say whether they would run a candidate or not) until it was fairly certain that MH would run for another term.
    That's entirely different from your initial claim they definitely intended to run someone. Then demoted to "stories", and now this waffle.

I see no particular reason to impute noble motivations to FF (*suppresses guffaws at the idea*). But the "rumours and assume the worst" narrative could equally be spun about SF (for example). Definitely "stories" about them looking to run someone, with specific names being touted. So shall we conclude they're gutless wonders too? Or is it purely down to down which colour of partisan goggles one happens to be wearing?

That's entirely different from your initial claim they definitely intended to run someone. Then demoted to "stories", and now this waffle.

I see no particular reason to impute noble motivations to FF (*suppresses guffaws at the idea*). But the "rumours and assume the worst" narrative could equally be spun about SF (for example). Definitely "stories" about them looking to run someone, with specific names being touted. So shall we conclude they're gutless wonders too? Or is it purely down to down which colour of partisan goggles one happens to be wearing?

I said it earlier. They all responded to the focus groups and poll findings and decided not to challenge him.
    Have all the other parties figured out that focus groups and polls show that the majority of the public are more than happy with his tenure. Yes they have.

I said nothing about 'gutless wonders'. I said it was cowardice and it is. They are afraid to run against a clearly very popular president.

Something a few of you cannot get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I said it earlier. They all responded to the focus groups and poll findings and decided not to challenge him.

I said nothing about 'gutless wonders'. I said it was cowardice and it is. They are afraid to run against a clearly very popular president.

To be honest, unless there was an unexpected star of a candidate put against him, I'd vote for him again anyway, and I suspect most of the country would do the same.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Here's your original comment this whole string's responding to.
    When did you pivot from "FF and FG" to "all"? If anything you seemed keen to give SF a pass, if your tangential comments on them relate to this point at all.
    I said nothing about 'gutless wonders'. I said it was cowardice and it is.
    So, some petulance about a pretty clearly semantically equivalent paraphrase, and rehashing of your whole original assertion. That stands on no evidence whatsoever other than the notions in your own head. That all advances matters tremendously.
    You're certainly not shy about being fancifully presumptuous of others' motivations, be it that of politicians you dislike, or of posters merely pointing out the gaping holes in your own wild inferences from scant -- if any -- facts.

Can't find fault in what people actually did? Why, just assume out of whole cloth they did the right thing for some utterly terrible reason. That way one is entirely guaranteed never to have to change one's mind about anything.

• Advertisement

Here's your original comment this whole string's responding to.

When did you pivot from "FF and FG" to "all"? If anything you seemed keen to give SF a pass, if your tangential comments on them relate to this point at all.

So, some petulance about a pretty clearly semantically equivalent paraphrase, and rehashing of your whole original assertion. That stands on no evidence whatsoever other than the notions in your own head. That all advances matters tremendously.

You're certainly not shy about being fancifully presumptuous of others' motivations, be it that of politicians you dislike, or of posters merely pointing out the gaping holes in your own wild inferences from scant -- if any -- facts.

Can't find fault in what people actually did? Why, just assume out of whole cloth they did the right thing for some utterly terrible reason. That way one is entirely guaranteed never to have to change one's mind about anything.

I certainly contended that FF and FG would have been 'in like Flynn' Because I have no doubt about that.Have they ever not run a candidate?
    The others I simply wouldn't be as sure about.
    But keep trying to make this about SF and then call me petulant. :):) Fabulous.

This one could run and run………. ……

We got two bedded in for the long haul...... there’s form there for sure.

Like Union discussions,dancing around the head of the pin, but saying nothing,deflecting,denying the obvious.......

Uhmmmm ………………

I see SF are probably gonna run a candidate even if Higgins decided to go again.

A few new SF supporters ffrom the disgruntled here? :)

Will you guys be 'brave' enough to vote for what you want, Higgins gone?

I see SF are probably gonna run a candidate even if Higgins decided to go again.

A few new SF supporters ffrom the disgruntled here? :)

Will you guys be 'brave' enough to vote for what you want, Higgins gone?

I will vote for Martin Ferris if he goes up against the incumbent.

You gotta stand by your word.

I will vote for Martin Ferris if he goes up against the incumbent.

You gotta stand by your word.

Good man. Knew you'd be turned one day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Back on topic of the radio show please, head to pm or politics if you wish to go ff/sf/fg chatting.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Is there anything up to date that could be discussed. ? This stuff is 20 plus years ago. Has he a book for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

sligojoek wrote: »
    Is there anything up to date that could be discussed. ? This stuff is 20 plus years ago. Has he a book for sale?
    Book mentioned in the intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

When I read this post Joe I thought I had gone into the live line thread by mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Thought he was fairly interesting myself. It's recent European history, some terrible things happened as in any war but nobody thought it could happen in Europe.
    Interesting book I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Was it me or was Marian very rude to Ewan Blair, I thought from the outset she was sharp & not interested in what he was saying.

Besides the curt questions, I didn't understand the point of the interview. If you want to discuss apprenticeships, talk about the Irish system, which is relevant to the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Birdsong wrote: »
    Was it me or was Marian very rude to Ewan Blair, I thought from the outset she was sharp & not interested in what he was saying.

Besides the curt questions, I didn't understand the point of the interview. If you want to discuss apprenticeships, talk about the Irish system, which is relevant to the audience.

I have a feeling the Blair kid was foisted upon her by a PR company with connections.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I have a feeling the Blair kid was foisted upon her by a PR company with connections.

Last I heard of that lad, he was after been picked up in a paddy wagon having been found "tired and emotional" somewhere in London while celebrating the English equivalent of the Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Oh wow, Jordan Peterson. This should be interesting.

Oh wow, Jordan Peterson. This should be interesting.

Mostly in the Chinese Curse sense of interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Sad Kermit and the Lobsters.

The individual is sovereign, which is why we need to enforce monogamy.

Doesn't even have the small bit of brains the average person would need to row back on and slightly nuance the obvious BS he's already been called on.

Now he's yelling into the mic about how outrageous and monstrous it is that pronoun use be -- and I quote directly -- be "enforced". Right after his soliloquy about what a fine and fitting thing "enforced" -- again, his very word in this very interview -- monogamy is.
    JBP wrote:
    Rule 10: Be precise in your speech

Does not even have the small bit of brains...

The phrase that springs to mind for the Hub guy that's on currently (I forget his name, and can't be bothered to check) is long-winded, preening self-regard.

Which is saying something, when he's following JBP...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

See Marian is giving a human trafficker some air time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement