Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Seems like it's not enough to ask for balance on these panels/boards any more. It's now about vilifying and "social media shaming" of the men who are on the panels/ boards. I heard the McGill organiser earlier this week and he sounds like he's had enough of it. He said that when organising panels, he has to fit numerous criteria on balance like left/right, FG/FF/Shinner, male/female ... His job sounds impossible, particularly when people are just waiting for him to release the names on the panel to start tweeting to push their own agenda.

What’s his name...Joe Mulholland..big wheel in RTE is in charge of this.

Getting a bit more ‘push back ‘ than he ever got in RTE.

Probably wishes he never got involved given the cretins who are covering every aspect of these events these days.

Not a good outlook in this posters opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

What’s his name...Joe Mulholland..big wheel in RTE is in charge of this.

Getting a bit more ‘push back ‘ than he ever got in RTE.

Probably wishes he never got involved given the cretins who are covering every aspect of these events these days.

Not a good outlook in this posters opinion.

Presumably McGill is privately ran? In that case he should be able to have whatever lineup he wants.
    Also, when we start down mandatory gender diversity/representation it stands to reason that we then need racial representation, sexual representation and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Diceicle wrote: »
    Presumably McGill is privately ran? In that case he should be able to have whatever lineup he wants.
    Also, when we start down mandatory gender diversity/representation it stands to reason that we then need racial representation, sexual representation and so on.

I'd bet there is a not insubstantial "grant" or "deontas" made available to them ... courtesy of Joe & Josephine taxpayer. :rolleyes:

Michael D is 77 ... you'd swear by the discussion he was 107. I know lots of 77 year olds who do not consider themselves old or past it and who are more active than many many half their age. As it happens I think he looks better and fitter now than he did during the last election campaign.

Vis-a-vis the gender discussion ... when Ml D was elected I remember my nephew (age 15 at the time) questioning how he could be president when he wasn't a woman! We are all influenced by what we see & when we see little or no women in positions of power unconsiously we are being conditioned to accept it as the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Callan57 wrote: »
    Michael D is 77 ... you'd swear by the discussion he was 107. I know lots of 77 year olds who do not consider themselves old or past it and who are more active than many many half their age. As it happens I think he looks better and fitter now than he did during the last election campaign.

Vis-a-vis the gender discussion ... when Ml D was elected I remember my nephew (age 15 at the time) questioning how he could be president when he wasn't a woman! We are all influenced by what we see & when we see little or no women in positions of power unconsiously we are being conditioned to accept it as the norm.

It's a bit scary that a fifteen year old couldn't name a male president of our country or be aware that we've had some.

What the hell are they learning in school these days??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I hope some one runs against him, at 77 he is way too old and he did say he was a one term person.

I hope some one runs against him, at 77 he is way too old and he did say he was a one term person.

Agree, the little lad has done a good job.

Now, stop being greedy, and do the decent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,198 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What has he not been able for so far?

What has he not been able for so far?

Nothing, but we are talking about 4 to 5 years from now.

Are you out peddling the SF line again Francie?

The little lad has done his job, for Jaysus sake jack it in now, sit back and enjoy life, don’t be a greedy gimp shuffling around at 81 or two.

You are not the pope

Have some respect for your country.

The little lad has done his job, for Jaysus sake jack it in now, sit back and enjoy life, don’t be a greedy gimp shuffling around at 81 or two.

You are not the pope

I think you must just be someone who likes to whinge and begrudge.

If he is unable to do the job, fair enough. But he shows no signs of ill health or infirmity. I don't see why you guys have to make stuff up to cover your dislike of the man.
    He has been a good and intelligent president, who has shown tremendous respect for everyone.

p.s. I have no idea what the SF line is on the office. Unlike some I am well able to make up my own mind.

• Advertisement

I think you must just be someone who likes to whinge and begrudge.

If he is unable to do the job, fair enough. But he shows no signs of ill health or infirmity. I don't see why you guys have to make stuff up to cover your dislike of the man.
    He has been a good and intelligent president, who has shown tremendous respect for everyone.

p.s. I have no idea what the SF line is on the office. Unlike some I am well able to make up my own mind.

You keep up that mantra Francie, I’ve lost count of how many times you try to tell us that.

Now, the lad said he would be one term.

He was elected on that kind of information.

Did he get a liking for the trappings and pomp of the job and the gravy on the plate,and said “I’ll have a bit more of this,please”

In my opinion the lad needs to be honest and do the right thing.

You keep up that mantra Francie, I’ve lost count of how many times you try to tell us that.

Now, the lad said he would be one term.

He was elected on that kind of information.

Did he get a liking for the trappings and pomp of the job and the gravy on the plate,and said “I’ll have a bit more of this,please”

In my opinion the lad needs to be honest and do the right thing.

Did he sign a contract to only do one term? No, he didn't.

Have all the other parties figured out that focus groups and polls show that the majority of the public are more than happy with his tenure. Yes they have.

Run for the office yourself maybe, if it is so important that we waste millions trying to find somebody as good.
    You clearly seem to know what is required.

p.s. I really don't see the significance of the repeated trolling about SF. It's rather silly and revealing.

Did he sign a contract to only do one term? No, he didn't.

Have all the other parties figured out that focus groups and polls show that the majority of the public are more than happy with his tenure. Yes they have.

Run for the office yourself maybe, if it is so important that we waste millions trying to find somebody as good.
    You clearly seem to know what is required.

p.s. I really don't see the significance of the repeated trolling about SF. It's rather silly and revealing.

What “trolling” is this you refer to.

Can posters not express their opinion ?

You seem very sensitive about the subject, posters are entitled to comment.

Playing the ‘trolling’ card way too early,my friend.

Nobody ‘trolling’ here, just saying it as it is.

You are not the pope

What's with this "the lad" & "the little lad" ... you sound like an English football manager?

What's with this "the lad" & "the little lad" ... you sound like an English football manager?

Figure of speech C.

Have you some problem with it?

Apologies if you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Agree, the little lad has done a good job.

Now, stop being greedy, and do the decent thing.

The 'little lad' thing makes you sound like a bit of a prick..

It's unnecessary

Figure of speech C.

Have you some problem with it?

Apologies if you have.

Doesn't bother me just wondering. As I say just reminded me of one of those football managers being paternalistic to multi-million pound earning guys ... not that I spend much time listening to football managers! ;)

lawred2 wrote: »
    The 'little lad' thing makes you sound like a bit of a prick..

It's unnecessary

No, not a bit of a prick, but if you think so, who am I to disagree.

Not unnecessary, it’s saying it as it is.

Maybe a little irreverent, but,hey it’s 2018- least I heard.

What “trolling” is this you refer to.

Can posters not express their opinion ?

You seem very sensitive about the subject, posters are entitled to comment.

Playing the ‘trolling’ card way too early,my friend.

Nobody ‘trolling’ here, just saying it as it is.

Trolling = having your usual jibe about SF...on a topic about a president who was a member of the Labour party.

What difference does it make? Even if I was spouting the SF 'line', are they not entitled to one of these 'opinions' you are so precious about having yourself?

Hypocrisy run riot there Brendan. 'It's only my opinion that is important here'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Get over yourself

• Advertisement

Doesn't bother me just wondering. As I say just reminded me of one of those football managers being paternalistic to multi-million pound earning guys ... not that I spend much time listening to football managers! ;)

Topper, we can move on then C.

Ta ta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Was there a decree that people abandoned common courtesy with the arrival of 2018 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Michael d said in his election campaign he would be president for one term , if he decides to run again he’s just like a lot of other politicians and I will have lost a huge amount of respect ..he should do the honorable thing and go , there is a retirement age in a lot of jobs of 65 for a reason , it’s not ageist to say most people aren’t able to work effectively until they die .

Oops69 wrote: »
    Michael d said in his election campaign he would be president for one term , if he decides to run again he’s just like a lot of other politicians and I will have lost a huge amount of respect ..he should do the honorable thing and go , there is a retirement age in a lot of jobs of 65 for a reason , it’s not ageist to say most people aren’t able to work effectively until they die .

Is changing your mind such a sin? It wasn't a clause in a legal contract.

And why is it such an awful thing that he had decided he would like another term anyway?
    What heinious crime agin we people is it? Could you explain?

Not many of the people of Ireland seem too excerised by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Really hope someone credible decides to run in the possible election. Be a man of your word and retire Michael D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

mattser wrote: »
    Was there a decree that people abandoned common courtesy with the arrival of 2018 ?

Couldn't do that; much too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Is changing your mind such a sin? It wasn't a clause in a legal contract.

And why is it such an awful thing that he had decided he would like another term anyway?
    What heinious crime agin we people is it? Could you explain?

Not many of the people of Ireland seem too excerised by this.
    It’s not a ‘ heinous crime ‘ or a ‘sin ‘ but most people would consider keeping one’s word an honorable thing to do .

It’s not a ‘ heinous crime ‘ or a ‘sin ‘ but most people would consider keeping one’s word an honorable thing to do .

Is anyone allowed to change their mind because of public approval?

Is he doing anything underhand? He has changed his mind. Nothing has changed, anyone can run against him...if he resigned, there would be a campaign anyway.

So is anyone going to have the bals and go against popular opinion of how he has fulfilled his role?

Nope, not FG or FF or any other party it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Really hope someone credible decides to run in the possible election. Be a man of your word and retire Michael D.

My thoughts exactly

• Advertisement

Is anyone allowed to change their mind because of public approval?

Is he doing anything underhand? He has changed his mind. Nothing has changed, anyone can run against him...if he resigned, there would be a campaign anyway.

So is anyone going to have the bals and go against popular opinion of how he has fulfilled his role?

Nope, not FG or FF or any other party it seems.

Major parties will want to keep their war chests for a GE ... certainly won't want to go splashing it for the sake of a presidential campaign with no hope of winning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement