Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

This is the official council website

http://www.visitwaterfordgreenway.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭obi604

This is the official council website

http://www.visitwaterfordgreenway.com/

Lord. Another website :)

hi

can anyone advice the best place to rent bikes from. looking for good value.

Looking for 1 adult male, 1 adult female.
    and then 2 bike trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

obi604 wrote: »
    hi

can anyone advice the best place to rent bikes from. looking for good value.

Looking for 1 adult male, 1 adult female.
    and then 2 bike trailers.

My preference would be with Donal at WIT West Campus or Garvan in Durrow.

Not sure about the rates though.

Just an FYI for people.
    I went with option number 4 - Greenway man, as worked out cheapest by a good bit for 2 adult bikes and 2 trailers.

Got back earlier, did about 50 k, legs are tired, haven’t cycled in ages and then having an added 20kg to pull didn’t help ;)

1. https://waterfordgreenway.com/ = bikes are 20 euro each. trailers are 10 euro each. good reviews on trip advisor. +353 85 111 3850. depots are:
    (a) No.1 Davitts Quay, Dungarvan, beside Murphys Pub – Open 7 days a week
    (b) Main St. Kilmacthomas village behind Kirwins pub. (phone in advance)
    (c) No. 2 Grattan Quay – Open 7 days a week

2. https://www.waterfordgreenwaybikehire.com/bike-hire.html = Bikes are 20 euro each. Trailers are 20 euro each. giant bikes. at dungravan. kilmacthomas and waterford. 051295955

3. http://greenwaywaterfordbikehire.ie/ = Bikes are 20 euro each. trailers are 15 euro each. located at the WIT Sports Arena where we have over 300 FREE PARKING. 086 1292724

4. http://www.thegreenwayman.com/bike-hire-waterford-greenway/ = adult hybrid bikes are €15 per day, children's bikes and trailers are €10 per day. Based at Durrow (Shanacool). phone 086 8351233. thegreenwayman@gmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

How did you mange to park at Durrow today?

my3cents wrote: »
    How did you mange to park at Durrow today?

Just lucky and got a spot as someone left. Loads of cars out on road etc.

Just lucky and got a spot as someone left. Loads of cars out on road etc.

Parking is a limitation in that area but imo definitely the best place to hire a bike and to ride from.

my3cents wrote: »
    Parking is a limitation in that area but imo definitely the best place to hire a bike and to ride from.

Why do you think it’s best ?

Why do you think it’s best ?

Depends really how far you want to go but if its a shorter run out with all the family you don't have to go far in towards Dungarvan to cover some of the best features of the Greenway. Then if you want to go further obviously you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Just an observation (and could be wrong) but the numbers using this seem a LOT lower than last year? I cycled sections of it last year and it was always chocoblock, pretty much during day and evening time. I've been using it again this year but the number of walkers or cyclists seems to be way down?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Cortecs wrote: »
    Just an observation (and could be wrong) but the numbers using this seem a LOT lower than last year? I cycled sections of it last year and it was always chocoblock, pretty much during day and evening time. I've been using it again this year but the number of walkers or cyclists seems to be way down?

I’ve noticed this also, I wonder is it because people think that with the good weather we are currently having, they think the greenway will be mobbed and are staying away for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Speaking as a local, maybe people realise it can get really busy, in parts, at peak times. We weren't going to go on it on a bank holiday Sunday afternoon, but will probably pop out some evening during the week. Maybe the numbers are a bit more spread out (plus the obvious novelty factor of it being new last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭JMcL

There'll be a degree of both novelty factor and publicity in play as well. Leading up to and after the launch last yea with all the publicity there would have been a lot of people willing to travel to cycle it, so they'll have ticked it off. More locally with all the buzz last year there'd have been a lot of people up for going out and trying it (it'd be interesting to see if there was an upswing in bike sales locally to coincide), and there'll be a certain degree of "we must get out on the Greenway again.." but not getting round to it, also as somebody else said the business at peak times may have been offputting to some. I'd say the first summer was always going to be exceptional, and it'll find a normalised level of usage over the next year or two.

I was out there Saturday afternoon for a walk with the dog and it was very quite for a bank holiday Saturday,i was there on Sunday afternoon for a walk again and it was very busy and yesterday i went for a cycle and it packed again,i would of been on the greenway most days last year and the numbers look the same to me this year,a lot more tourists than locals i notice on it this year though.

The place could do with the grass cut and weeds taken up,it looks terrible in some places i thought the council would of been out there before the bank holiday weekend to do it but no sign of any upkeep yet.

I notice that the amount of "speedsters" on bikes is much diminished this year, which is a good thing. Most people cycling there now seem to be much more aware that there are people with small children walking and cycle accordingly. It was deadly last year at times (to walk with small kids I mean).

I notice that the amount of "speedsters" on bikes is much diminished this year, which is a good thing. Most people cycling there now seem to be much more aware that there are people with small children walking and cycle accordingly. It was deadly last year at times (to walk with small kids I mean).

Still plenty of them out there in the evenings with all the gear on looking like they are doing a stage on the tour de france

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Still plenty of them out there in the evenings with all the gear on looking like they are doing a stage on the tour de france

yes.... shur isn't image important ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Apologies if this has been answered but do you know what they are doing in Bilberry with the one way traffic system? Are they putting in a bike lane thus making the traffic system permanent or is the plan to stop all traffic using that road?

Dunno but its like that for a good while now. Surprised there hasn't been an accident there as some people take a chance and come flying round the bend trying to make it before the lights go green on the other side.

• Advertisement

Just a heads up or anyone thinking of using the greenway this Saturday as it will be closed from bilberry to carrols cross from 9am to 2pm to facilitate the Waterford marathon

Would be nice if the organisers of the marathon cleaned up after themselves, from Carriganore to Mount Congreve its littered with plastic bottles and energy gel packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Would be nice if the organisers of the marathon cleaned up after themselves, from Carriganore to Mount Congreve its littered with plastic bottles and energy gel packages.

Happens every year same thing when they ran down the side of the river on the way out to Tramore. The river was littered with plastic bottles and the lads who have been doing the river up had to get a boat in and remove the rubbish. It's disgusting, how had is it for a runner to carry a bottle for a while to the next rubbish drop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Greenway should make a huge 'song and dance' about this, pointing out that no access will be given in the future for such events unless an acceptable method of preventing littering is included in the application for access, and a guaranteed clean-up operation is carried out as the last of the runners pass along.

It would not take much organising to have a bunch of people cleaning up immediately after the runners, maybe using small electric rubbish carts to hold the litter.

One would hope this clean up would be for the full route of any such event!

EDIT: I wonder what might happen if 'litter wardens' were to appear on route and begin to interfere with runners who littered as they passed? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Where's Fr. Neill Horan when you need him?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

spookwoman wrote: »
    It's disgusting, how had is it for a runner to carry a bottle for a while to the next rubbish drop

I ran the race and for any race I do ill always drop litter either in the bins or close to the bins (if my aim is bad), if I carried the water a distance I'll tend to drop it any a course marker sign where the organisers won't miss it after the event.

However I see all sorts of gob****es throwing bottles etc into ditches, over ditches, into water sources etc and in Dublin even into peoples gardens! . It really makes my blood boil.

Good to see the council have started to erect more signs of the "greenway code" along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Cabaal wrote: »
    I ran the race and for any race I do ill always drop litter either in the bins or close to the bins (if my aim is bad), if I carried the water a distance I'll tend to drop it any a course marker sign where the organisers won't miss it after the event.

However I see all sorts of gob****es throwing bottles etc into ditches, over ditches, into water sources etc and in Dublin even into peoples gardens! . It really makes my blood boil.

That's is a Good idea to drop em by course markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Anyone know if there is any plans for signage for pedestrians to keep to one side and cyclists the other?

I was cycling on it a few weeks back and there were people walking in both directions across the whole path. They seemed unaware they were blocking the path for cyclists, or were shocked if a bike bell was rang or an "excuse me" was said.

It a beautiful facility, but it would reach another level with signage or marking to seperate cyclists and pedestrians on the path, and would improve safety.

My finances mother was hit by a cyclist while walking on the Greenway and it has put her off completely going on it again. I am not sure who was to blame but I have a feeling it could have been avoided if each mode of transport stuck to one side.

• Advertisement

beazee wrote: »
    And here it is:

kY5Bzpz.jpg

They are there as has been pointed out before.

Advertisement