Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

By the summer I'm not so sure Ringrose will be considered a better rugby player so straightforwardly. We'll see. Certainly based on Ringrose's current disjointed season and form there's no question that Farrell is the better choice. Henshaw is the only player I'd guarantee a place tbh and I'm looking forward to seeing Farrell throughout the rest of this competition to see if he's worth the jersey outside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

By the summer I'm not so sure Ringrose will be considered a better rugby player so straightforwardly. We'll see. Certainly based on Ringrose's current disjointed season and form there's no question that Farrell is the better choice. Henshaw is the only player I'd guarantee a place tbh and I'm looking forward to seeing Farrell throughout the rest of this competition to see if he's worth the jersey outside him.
    Well at the very least, it's great that we're having this discussion. Wouldn't have thought it possible a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Buer wrote: »
    Are they? I can't see that. But he clearly has an opportunity to make himself first choice right now.

He's the man in possession, has played excellently in back to back starts for Ireland and Schmidt is a fan. He's absolutely in with a big chance of staying in the team. He'll see out this 6N and then it's up to others to get the Jersey back. There is no established Irish centre aside from Henshaw.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a midfield of Henshaw and Farrell combine this summer.

Now that could be a match made in heaven. Farrell will get the next two games to gain experience I would hope. He can't be dropped now and surely is ahead of Aki?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well at the very least, it's great that we're having this discussion. Wouldn't have thought it possible a couple of years ago.

What will happen if Murray or Sexton get injured? We have no clear replacement for either position. Both were immense yesterday with Sexton having a massive game .

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Are they? I can't see that. But he clearly has an opportunity to make himself first choice right now.

He's the man in possession, has played excellently in back to back starts for Ireland and Schmidt is a fan. He's absolutely in with a big chance of staying in the team. He'll see out this 6N and then it's up to others to get the Jersey back. There is no established Irish centre aside from Henshaw.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a midfield of Henshaw and Farrell combine this summer.

Now that could be a match made in heaven. Farrell will get the next two games to gain experience I would hope. He can't be dropped now and surely is ahead of Aki?
    Why is he surely ahead of Aki? Based on what?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Aki didn't have the best of days yesterday but had played very well up to this point. One game changes nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Faugheen wrote: »
    See a lot of people saying now that Farrell will be hard to shift.

Let's calm down on the hyperbole. Farrell was great today, but it's one game. Pound-for-pound Henshaw and Ringrose are still better, more rounded players.

What he can do though is allow himself to be an option, and we don't have to worry about what happens to Aki/Henshaw/Ringrose because Farrell can come in without a worry.

He played very well, but let's not make him out to be the second coming. I posted earlier about Irish fans flip-flopping based on one performance. People are now saying Farrell is possibly first choice after one game..

I think it's more with a view to the Scotland game were Ringrose will be available. Given the lack of gametime that Ringrose has Farrell should keep the 13 Jersey for the rest of the Championship. Moving forward it will be looked at again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Farrell 12, with Henshaw and Ringsie options at 13 must be looked at. Aki is surely only a temporary thing. With the strongest indications that he is not really regular starter material being that he is being let stay at Connaught - if he were a likely long term starter, Joe would be moving him. Joe also seems to still hold some hope that Payne will play again. So Aki a sort of 5th choice, who like Dillane or Marmion is more bench material in an injury crisis, rather than part of his ideal squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Sorry to hijack thread but have a random question.

Does anyone know what match it was when Shane Horgan threw like an under arm reverse pass for Leinster and Drico scored ?

Can’t find the video on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Ringrose to 23 perhaps if Conway remains out, Mcfadden is a misnomer in the 23 IMO.

Henderson and Furlong to come back in, though who drops out for Henderson I'm not sure. Stander is the player looking over his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Gonad wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack thread but have a random question.

Does anyone know what match it was when Shane Horgan threw like an under arm reverse pass for Leinster and Drico scored ?

Can’t find the video on YouTube

It was against Brive in 2010, Cheika's last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW7HgpvlLFs is the try.

Bonus point try, pretty crucial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Farrell 12, with Henshaw and Ringsie options at 13 must be looked at. Aki is surely only a temporary thing. With the strongest indications that he is not really regular starter material being that he is being let stay at Connaught - if he were a likely long term starter, Joe would be moving him. Joe also seems to still hold some hope that Payne will play again. So Aki a sort of 5th choice, who like Dillane or Marmion is more bench material in an injury crisis, rather than part of his ideal squad.

Do you remember a few years ago on here, when everyone was saying Jared Payne wasn't good enough, at international level. Yet Joe Schmidt and rory best and every single one of his team mates and all his opponents knew how crucial and influential his presence was. Bundee Aki is the new Jared Payne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

I was going to post about how wonderful the Young guns played yesterday. How good it is that the coaching staff have 'difficult selections'.
    How I hoped sensible debates can be made about different players. Unfortunately I've just read the post by TRoL. (How apt) and realise for the infantile that is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

It was against Brive in 2010, Cheika's last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW7HgpvlLFs is the try.

Bonus point try, pretty crucial
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

OldRio wrote: »
    I was going to post about how wonderful the Young guns played yesterday. How good it is that the coaching staff have 'difficult selections'.
    How I hoped sensible debates can be made about different players. Unfortunately I've just read the post by TRoL. (How apt) and realise for the infantile that is impossible.
    That's what he does. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

How would Aki leaving Connacht benefit Irish rugby?
    It would just saturate Leinster's midfield options meaning somebody would be losing out on valuable game time. Aki already has plenty of experience playing with Henshaw which has definitely played into his hands. Ringrose must stake his claim with Henshaw at Leinster because it looks like Henshaw will never be dropped when fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

bilston wrote: »
    With 8 tries in 7 matches Jacob Stockdale is on course to beat BOD's record of 46 tries by the time he wins his 41st cap!

He reminds me of Bowe in his earlier stages of his carrier; serious athlete with a nose for the line. The Earls and Fitzgerald’s of the world will work their balls off in a match but never keep up with the Stockdales and Bowes scoring records because these guys are in the right place at the right time. That intercept at the end summed it up for me, killer instinct.

prawnsambo wrote: »

To me the Farrell situation is interesting in the context of Joe's match selection. It's historically been the biggest criticism of him as a coach that he selects conservatively but him having Farrell on the radar so long ago and trusting him despite early season wobbles has been seriously vindicated.

Good to have a coach who is playing the longer game in terms of talent development. Even better the message it sends about coming back to play in Ireland. Only back in Ireland a few months and Farrell is performing in one of our biggest fixtures of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

.ak wrote: »
    He reminds me of Bowe in his earlier stages of his carrier; serious athlete with a nose for the line. The Earls and Fitzgerald’s of the world will work their balls off in a match but never keep up with the Stockdales and Bowes scoring records because these guys are in the right place at the right time. That intercept at the end summed it up for me, killer instinct.

Anscombe should be taken out and thrashed for that pass though. It never ever looked that it had the legs to find it's target and Stockdale could have had his sandwiches before deciding what to do with it.

Terrible play by the Welsh tbh.

Two moments today, getting up to catch that cross field effort requiring all of his 6"5 frame and that intercept really reminded me of Bowe. The intercept in particular.

Smashing performance from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

You mean Keith Earls... our highest try scorer currently playing :D ...only 2 or 3 trys behind Bowe and has a very good chance of overtaking BOD if he stays fit for the next 4 or 5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

Earls! What more has he to do to get the recognition he deserves.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anscombe should be taken out and thrashed for that pass though. It never ever looked that it had the legs to find it's target and Stockdale could have had his sandwiches before deciding what to do with it.

Would have been a Welsh try if they went through the hands IMO. Our defense was all sucked in narrow, they had about 3 on 1 out wide.

awec wrote: »
    Would have been a Welsh try if they went through the hands IMO. Our defense was all sucked in narrow, they had about 3 on 1 out wide.

We had players sweeping over, it was a lot of space and the overlap was spread out so no fast hands, I don't think it was a try scoring opportunity without a skip pass but with the way North had gotten around Kearney who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Welsh press and forums have been fairly unanimous in their appraisal of the game. No excuses being made (one or two like you always get from all sides) beaten by the better side on the day. Some even going so far as to say it would've been a travesty had they stolen it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »

Pass was right call, I think. It completely took out our defence. It was just poorly executed. If they went through the hands, we would have corner flagged and taken them down even if they managed to get it away to the wing under pressure from Farrell and Murray coming up.

That pass hits its target and Wales have a clear run in.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Welsh press and forums have been fairly unanimous in their appraisal of the game. No excuses being made (one or two like you always get from all sides) beaten by the better side on the day. Some even going so far as to say it would've been a travesty had they stolen it

Yes I have read them too . They have been very honest in posting about the Welsh teams' weaknesses which I think is a bit harsh in that the Welsh team played well in some aspects.. I see where we ,on the other hand, have been compared to the All Blacks. We have a long way to go before achieving such status such is the length in depth of the Kiwis .nor can we match their psysicality.

The Welsh posters ,by and large, admit that it is always difficult to win at the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Pass was right call, I think. It completely took out our defence. It was just poorly executed. If they went through the hands, we would have corner flagged and taken them down even if they managed to get it away to the wing under pressure from Farrell and Murray coming up.

That pass hits its target and Wales have a clear run in.

Yeh, it was the pass, (the only real option they had imo) it was woefully bad and gave Stockdale all day to eye it and calmly intercept.

Faugheen wrote: »
    See a lot of people saying now that Farrell will be hard to shift.

Let's calm down on the hyperbole. Farrell was great today, but it's one game. Pound-for-pound Henshaw and Ringrose are still better, more rounded players.

What he can do though is allow himself to be an option, and we don't have to worry about what happens to Aki/Henshaw/Ringrose because Farrell can come in without a worry.

He played very well, but let's not make him out to be the second coming. I posted earlier about Irish fans flip-flopping based on one performance. People are now saying Farrell is possibly first choice after one game..

I was probably one of those gushing fans but the reason I think he’ll be hard to shift is not based on one game, but rather two things; his performance in the AIs, and the fact Joe is a big fan, even claiming him as a “project”, bringing him back into squad despite minimal game time after his injury. Joe sees big things for him.

A third reason is it’s unlikely Ringrose will play in the 6n campaign this year, then Farrell becomes the incumbent.

Good options to have all fit; Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose, and Farrell. Happy to see a combination of any two on the field.

I know you’re not a big fan of Aki for whatever reason but he’s taken to international rugby like a duck to water, bar injury he’ll be very hard to shift, and aside from a couple of errors he had a very good game yesterday.

• Advertisement

You mean Keith Earls... our highest try scorer currently playing :D ...only 2 or 3 trys behind Bowe and has a very good chance of overtaking BOD if he stays fit for the next 4 or 5 years

Yeah i was thinking that when I made the post, I should have made the note I meant the Earls we say yesterday. I thought he put in a great shift around the park, reminded me of Fitzgerald; creating opportunities for others around the park, a real danger-man, and in my mind put in a much bigger shift than Stockdale with more skills on display, yet it’s Stockdale that ends on the score sheet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement