Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Age 34, male
    08 Peugeot 207
    No points, convictions etc
    3 years no claims

Been with An Post for 3years

Anpost Renewal of €1192 down to €990 (was €839 last year)
    Aviva €1600
    Blue insurance (Liberty) €903

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

So, have 9 years protected NCB with AIG (through 25Plus)
    Last years premium was €433

Had a claim for €2k in November when i reversed into a bollard, damaging the quarter panel.

Renewal quote from 25Plus came in at €620, up almost 40%.

So, after lots of calling around, the best I could do at short notice was to get 25Plus to reduce their quote to €580. Later noticed that a "claim loading" of approx 17% was itemised on my quote, so the other 25% increase was just a random increase. To be fair, my NCD of 65% is unaffected, and that in principle is worth around €1200 (if the €600 odd is 35% of what I would be paying without it)

Regards the "claim loading" - I think this post by donncha on Askaboutmoney puts it well:

An honest pitch for NCD protection would read something like this: "Buy NCD protection. If you make a single claim in three years, we will most likely increase your premium, but we're not telling you by how much. But it probably won't be as much as it would have been if you didn't buy NCD protection."

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Can't believe you feel hard done by with a 600 euro quote after making a claim last year

That's a fraction of what others are paying with no claim

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Can't believe you feel hard done by with a 600 euro quote after making a claim last year

That's a fraction of what others are paying with no claim

Not looking at absolute values though - it's the 42% increase, having contributed to their pot and made no previous claims in 20 years, that bothers me.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Not looking at absolute values though - it's the 42% increase, having contributed to their pot and made no previous claims in 20 years, that bothers me.

If the premium was constant at a 'today's money' value of €433 per year, that's €8,666 you've paid in over those 20 years. You've claimed €2,000 for the smallest type of claim which occurs, which leave €6.5k to go in to the pot to cover the large injury claims which occur for that 20 year period.

Insurance is about the communal pot looking after the sum of it's contributors and the key is t try and get everyone to chip in the right amount t cover the big stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

37, Male, Dublin, no points.
    Full IRL licence 13 years.
    2010 Audi A6 2.0 Diesel SE 136E
    Windscreen claim 12 months ago.
    No crashes or other claims.

2017 with Kennco €700.
    2018 renewal €735.

Shopped around. €607 with Aviva is cheapest...dearest was Liberty at €1356.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

ofcork wrote: »
    Only for some though mine jumped to 728 from 667 and cannot get lower yet.

Have tried brokers and numerous companies and cannot get lower in fact over
    800 seems to be the norm looks like ill have to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vanilla Cupcake

Car type: 04 yaris 1.0l
    Years driving: 1
    Claims: None
    Full Licence also
    Price and Provider: 850e Liberty tpft with 2 named drivers 1 with full licence other with provisional. Cover includes breakdown assist, key cover, driving other cars, windscreen cover extra but I opted to get it.

I was getting quotes from 1900e to around 1100e from various other insurers! Liberty was definitely the cheapest.

Renewal in from liberty at 950e, all the same details as above except extra year driving and extra year ncb. Gave them a ring and they dropped it down to 850e. They told me to do a quote online and they would match it if it was lower. So i got it down to 720e! Happy enough to stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just got my renewal quote, €528,up from €440 last year.It was €350 the year before.:(

To cap it all,I decided to tax my car early this month as both that and the insurance fall due at the same time.The online system won't let me tax my car as my insurance will expire at the end of the month.:mad::mad:
    It's stupid how insurance has an effect on whether you can tax your car or not,imo it's none of their business as to your insurance status.

Edit,did a quick online quote with Aviva (who wanted over €620 last year) and got €404.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Edit,did a quick online quote with Aviva (who wanted over €620 last year) and got €404.
    SOLD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just got my renewal quote, €528,up from €440 last year.It was €350 the year before.:(

To cap it all,I decided to tax my car early this month as both that and the insurance fall due at the same time.The online system won't let me tax my car as my insurance will expire at the end of the month.:mad::mad:
    It's stupid how insurance has an effect on whether you can tax your car or not,imo it's none of their business as to your insurance status.

Just change insurance date for tax. It's not linked as many don't even put in correct policy number

The missus shopping around, insurers saying "buy newer, get a cheaper quote". Gone up 6 years to a 132 plate and now they are saying "the vehicle is worth more,you pay more".
    Full cover is €510. The best quote she got was €474 fully comp without step back protection.Some quotes were nearly €700.

The missus shopping around, insurers saying "buy newer, get a cheaper quote". Gone up 6 years to a 132 plate and now they are saying "the vehicle is worth more,you pay more".
    Full cover is €510. The best quote she got was €474 fully comp without step back protection.Some quotes were nearly €700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

No point in step back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just change insurance date for tax. It's not linked as many don't even put in correct policy number

+1 I think I have made mine up on several occasions, never made a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Age 26, male
    09 1.6D Fiat Bravo
    No points, convictions etc
    0 NCB, 0 Named (As fresh as you can get according to insurance companies!)

Liberty - 3800 Fully Comp.
    Boxymo - 1300-1600 depending on excess/km's etc. (Far too restrictive IMO)
    25 plus.ie - 2593 (Standard) - 2737 (Xtra). (2427/2564 - 750excess)
    Acorn - Kennco 2285.47 (250 excess).
    Axa (Direct) - 2594 Compy, 2448 TPFT.
    Britton - 2398 (500 excess), 2110 (1k excess). Comp. 2109 TPFT.
    Campions - 4846 (Comp, Liberty). 3694 TPFP. (3073 comp, 2709 TPFT over the phone).
    Chill.ie - Axa 2430, Asgard 2778, Kennco 3203. All comp. Similar TPFT.
    First Ireland - 2402 comp (500 excess), 2114 TPFT.
    Its4women - 2792(Standard), 3012 (Extra), 2614/2820-700 excess
    Sheridan - Liberty 4861.
    Kennco (Direct) - 2894. (Comp)

And the quote I finally went for......

The AA - AXA Fully comp, 1800, 250 excess. (Plus 7 per month for AA membership) (Included named driver who is a relative. Pro tip: Use a parent if they are clean as that will reduce it even more).

It's worth noting that theAA give one of the most comprehensive policies from what I can see and just happened to be the cheapest.

For anyone new;
    i) Your address matters greatly.
    ii)Type of car matters greatly.
    iii) Addition of a named driver reduces premium usually but should be a parent preferably.
    iv) Upping excess can reduce premium.
    v) CALL THE INSURERS!! You will get much better quotes over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

For anyone new;
    i) Your address matters greatly.

that's what I mentioned many pages ago, would be nice to have location included on quote details.

Id like to know the difference between (for example) a Dublin address and Kerry address with similar driver and vehicle details

Kuva wrote: »
    No point in step back

Any particular reason why not? It used to be standard but now it's an added extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

that's what I mentioned many pages ago, would be nice to have location included on quote details.

Id like to know the difference between (for example) a Dublin address and Kerry address with similar driver and vehicle details

Edited with my rough location!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Any particular reason why not? It used to be standard but now it's an added extra.

Most insurance staff just want to sale this give lowest cover as the may be on commission or target for new business.

Stepback should be the lowest cover all drivers have as a total loss policy could mean a simple claim would rate u as 1st time driver on your renewal price.

Also be sure u clarify that fire & Theft cover
    has no excess and
    no effect on NCB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Edited with my rough location!

Thanks Barry, and just to be clear not looking for exact address just the county would be fine

Address will assist determine

-area with high or low theft risk

-if in 50km town/city opposed to 50+km zone for impaxt claim resulting in higher injury cases

To name but a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Also be sure u clarify that fire & Theft cover
    has no excess and
    no effect on NCB

Not sure what you mean by this? Could you clarify please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Included named driver who is a relative. Pro tip: Use a parent if they are clean as that will reduce it even more

I have found that this is consistently most definitely not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

53 yrs
    Kia Sportage 2016
    Full NCB, long term full licence, no points etc

Quotes include NCB protection, comprehensive, windscreen etc

Last 2 years insurance was €666 from Blue Insurance

€809 Renewal quote from Blue Insurance for another 2 year policy

Does this seem reasonable, any point in haggling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

400 a year sounds pretty damn good to me.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by this? Could you clarify please?

be sure u clarify that fire & Theft cover
    has no excess and
    no effect on NCB

As you may not have imagined, if you claimed for -
    theft or attempted theft damage to your car or Fire damage

A..someone can actually lose their 3rds NCB or more
    B..have to pay an excess from €100-€500

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

icom wrote: »
    53 yrs
    Kia Sportage 2016
    Full NCB, long term full licence, no points etc

Quotes include NCB protection, comprehensive, windscreen etc

Last 2 years insurance was €666 from Blue Insurance

€809 Renewal quote from Blue Insurance for another 2 year policy

Does this seem reasonable, any point in haggling ?

Rang them up and went into haggle mode, managed to get them down to €750 for the 2 year policy. Happy enough with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

35 yrs
    Male
    Full ncb
    9 yrs +
    Kia ceed gt line. 1.0 turbo petrol. 171
    Value 18000
    Fully comp with protected ncb
    3 points
    Open driving
    1 named driver. Parent
    Rural Kerry.
    Aviva. 435 euro. Pleased is an understatement.
    Allianz renewal 720
    Without the open driving, protected ncb etc i could have got it for 335 euro.
    Have home and a sibling with aviva policys as well so there was a discount for that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

25 y/o male.
    7 yrs named exp, 2 years in my own name
    2010 Madza 3 1.6 petrol, val 7k
    Galway city
    3rd party f&t only.

750 last year with liberty. Tried this year with liberty again (with no link to my old account) and got quote of 1200. Got similar with AXA, BOI, AnPost,Aviva +/- 150 of 1200.

Got the renewal letter from liberty then a few days after and they offered 680 so very very happy. I'll try and get another couple euros off after a call.

Advertisement