Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

grogi wrote: »
    That's not true. I know insurers that would do business with me, but I don't because of the legalities in here.

There is nothing to stop them complying with the 'legalities', as you put it and trade with you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    RENEWAL 2016. M 66 & F 62 with own car and insurance.

No points for either of us with full licences from 1986 and 1977 respectively and 7 and 9 years claim free so full no claims bonus for both.

Peugeot 406 HDI 2.0 2004

Comprehensive with full ncb cover

I got 10 quotes as follows:-

• Aviva 495.47
    • FBD 538.69
    • 123.ie 554.91
    • Allianz 567.20
    • AA Insurance 573.36
    • One Direct 630.45
    • Liberty 662.23
    • AXA 820.55
    • AIG 871.17
    • Supervalu 880.62

Cover last year was with Allianz and cost €380. They reduced their quote to €520 when I rang them but in the end I went with Aviva who would not budge on the car insurance cost but reduced my house insurance by C €30 as a result of taking their motor insurance. Three cars in the family now insured with Aviva.

It seems to me that the determining factor in the premium increase is the age of the vehicle as we are both retired so no commuting at rush hour and small mileage being driven ( 6000 miles per year now).

The above was my renewal situation in January 2016.

I renewed my comprehensive insurance yesterday with Aviva for the same vehicle which is now 14 years old for €380.02, down from €491.11 last year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Enjoy it why you can....
    When I saw your quote i went for one myself since Aviva were a close 2nd as it came to being my best option 2 years ago.

Now i got this:

0a2b5d2d7f3fe2919ac9dea2e63f9775.png

My car was born in 03.....

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

inforfun wrote: »
    Enjoy it why you can....
    When I saw your quote i went for one myself since Aviva were a close 2nd as it came to being my best option 2 years ago.

Now i got this:

0a2b5d2d7f3fe2919ac9dea2e63f9775.png

My car was born in 03.....

Key difference is that I am not changing insurance companies as the car has been covered by Aviva since 2016.

Guess we have to wait and see.
    GF works for an insurer (UK based), they kick people out for less than age of car if they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Hi all, just comparing insurance quotes, grateful for recommendations as to who else to try.

2014 Toyota Auris estate, 1.4 Diesel.
    Main driver female 46, additional driver male 49. Full NCB earned in UK, full UK licences >20 years, no claims, convictions etc. Main driver has type 1 insulin controlled diabetes. Use social, domestic and pleasure, <10,000 KM per year.

Quotes so far:

123.ie €618
    Chill €628
    AA €664
    An Post €563 now €480
    Axa €633
    its4women Online quote not available
    Simply €693
    Liberty €619
    Allianz No quote, driver number format
    Hastings €698
    No Nonsense/FBD Online quote not available

An Post came down to €480 when I told them I had several quotes in the same range as theirs, so will phone a few others and go ahead with that policy if I can't get a better quote elsewhere.

These prices are a bitter pill to swallow when we were previously paying £228 to insure a 2 litre van.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

To be honest those quotes above seem very reasonable to me. You also cannot compare UK insurance prices against Irish but also just be glad you have a modern small diesel engine or you would also have a bitter pill to swallow to tax the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Try Avivia or try The AA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Male
    2008 3.0 BMW 325i MSport Coupe
    9+ yrs no claims
    Full Licence
    + 28 yo wife, Full Irish License <1 ye

Best quote so far has been An Post @ €707 fully comp.

AA: €880
    123.ie: €1200
    Allianz: €1080

Would like to get it closer to €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Male
    2008 3.0 BMW 325i MSport Coupe
    9+ yrs no claims
    Full Licence
    + 28 yo wife, Full Irish License <1 ye

Best quote so far has been An Post @ €707 fully comp.

AA: €880
    123.ie: €1200
    Allianz: €1080

Would like to get it closer to €500.

€500! €707 don't seem too bad to me for what your driving.

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »
    Try Avivia or try The AA
    Tried an online quote with Aviva and got the message "We are unable to complete your quote online."

However when I changed previous insurer from "other non-Ireland" to an Irish based insurer from the drop-down list the price was quoted as €373, by far the cheapest yet.

I've just phoned them and they will honour that price as long as I can supply the proof of NCB from Direct Line in the UK. Pretty happy at that price.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Male 52
    2004 Renault Kangoo 1.2
    No Points
    4 years NCB

Bargain quote last year of €450 from Axa

Renewal came through this year for €560. Called them up to see if they could reduce it and they brought it down to €470.

Mrs G!
    Late 40's
    2005 Rav 4
    No Points
    10 years + NCB
    Last year Axa quoted €400, renewed this year at €470, down to €455 after asking.

Thank you very much Axa! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Mmmm! A few indicators lately that premiums are coming down for some people. Time for me to remind the Cartel of their obligations to the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Only for some though mine jumped to 728 from 667 and cannot get lower yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Is it true that Aviva dont quote honda vtecs ? Even the newer more civilised ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Pretty sure they quoted me(May 2017) on mine 2012 1.8 but it was like 3000, liberty was 886.

Mmmm! A few indicators lately that premiums are coming down for some people. Time for me to remind the Cartel of their obligations to the group.

Nice one.

2 quotes that actually work out better than the previous year and you come out with this.

Quotes should come down or at least stay level for people when nothing changes in their details bar age, age of car and 1 year more NCB.
    Not increase with, for me for instance, 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

If I am to hit 25 years of age on 28th of May and my insurance is up on 25th of May, from what I heard - you're no longer young driver after 25, can I somehow coast without insurance for 3 days (would just work from home) or will all my 6 years NCB be gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Male
    Driving 7 years but soon to be 5 NCB in my own name.
    No Points or claims
    07 1.8 i-vtec Civic
    Insured with KennCo

Renewal €870 Fully Comp, €839 TPFT

Last year I paid about €1000 TPFT on a 2.5 Mondeo (which was decent imo), however mid policy when I wanted to change over to a different 1.8 Civic they wanted 400 extra, i stuck with the Mondeo. Naturally though I thought they were going to rape me on my renewal this year but clearly not.

Only issue is that when I turn 25 in the summer they still wont allow me third party extension until my policy is up again in Feb 19 which is really annoying so I'm gonna do some more shopping around but so far they do seem the cheapest followed by FBD @1100.

Chill insurance with Asgard and AXA seem the most expensive at nearly €2k :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

arleitiss wrote: »
    If I am to hit 25 years of age on 28th of May and my insurance is up on 25th of May, from what I heard - you're no longer young driver after 25, can I somehow coast without insurance for 3 days (would just work from home) or will all my 6 years NCB be gone?

You keep no claims for 2 years.

• Advertisement

arleitiss wrote: »

If you change insurers you just tell them to have it start on the 28th because you are celebrating your birthday abroad....

Whatever you do, dont even go to the spar around the corner by car in those 3 days. Murphy and his law will be waiting for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Car type and engine: 03 Ford Focus 1.4 Petrol
    years driving:1
    any claims:0
    Price and provider: €1117 with Liberty. They're having a sale atm for new policies

Does anyone know if it includes the third party open drive extension? It would be great as petrol is expensive :D

inforfun wrote: »
    If you change insurers you just tell them to have it start on the 28th because you are celebrating your birthday abroad....

Whatever you do, dont even go to the spar around the corner by car in those 3 days. Murphy and his law will be waiting for you.

Lock your car up well too, sod's law it will be nicked while uninsured! Remove some parts from it - battery or a wheel or two? What's the modern equivalent of removing the rotor arm?

Happened to a mate of mine when he bought a car many years ago, for some reason he had the insurance start at midnight. He went out to check on it just before midnight and it was gone. (Un)fortunately a police car happened to be passing so he flagged it down and reported the car stolen so it was on record that the vehicle had been stolen prior to the insurance cover starting. Guess what though, they paid out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Female
    11 years full licence
    10+ years NCB
    No penalty points
    1claim 4 years ago, no fault, other driver's insurance repaid mine
    1.4 Toyota Auris - 4 years old
    Fully comprehensive

Was insured with AIG through its4women, 585 last year (1.4 2004 focus at renewal time), renewal 634. Many quotes were around 700 so bit FBD's hand off at 484!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The wife's car insurance last year was €500.

The reason was "over 10 years old and big engine."

Upgraded to a newer car, smaller engine.The spiel from insurance companies was "older cars are more of a risk,newer cars attract lower premiums" Lol.
    Anyhow,new quote arrived and comes in at €675. They can do one.

OH insurance

Female, 49 plus spouse 47 in Naas, 172 Renault Clio
    No claims or points. 20+ licence, full NCB.
    Comprehensive Insurance with protected NCB, Breakdown Assist etc.

Last year with Aviva was €445. Renewal came in at €375. No point in looking for other quotes, Will just renew with Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

inna981 wrote: »
    Price and provider: €1117 with Liberty. They're having a sale atm for new policies

considering the age of the car and driver that's a damn good deal.

just out of curiosity what was your first years premium with zero years driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tried to better my quote of €1930 but no joy so it's basically increased€100-€150 a year the last 4 years.

Very unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

inna981 wrote: »

Does anyone know if it includes the third party open drive extension? It would be great as petrol is expensive :D

That is very cheap considering your age and lack of NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    €500! €707 don't seem too bad to me for what your driving.

Couldn't get any better. It ended up being €735 with full NCB protection.

Advertisement