Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Do the usual FI caveats apply to the strat as they do to 500hpa and below, IE that it's entirely up in the air until a closer range time frame?

Yes they do - as you saw from previous signs of the stratosphere warming on the GFS that I've posted before hand which had disappeared. This one is much more significant but it's still a long way into the FI range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    GFS hinting at something big developing in the stratosphere, could develop by January:

g3P63Ih.png

No expert myself Syran, but doesn't something like what the GFS is showing regarding that Stat happen most Winters anyway?

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    No expert myself Syran, but doesn't something like what the GFS is showing regarding that Stat happen most Winters anyway?

Sudden stratospheric warming is an ongoing theory Oneiric 3, it was only made in late 2012 and early 2013 during the January 2013 SSW. A stratospheric warming is where temperatures in the stratosphere rise high very fast and extremely so in a short period of time. However, for a sudden stratospheric warming to be considered, it has to obliterate the Polar Vortex or reverse the zonal westerlies. It is a very strict definition. According to scientists who had discovered this theory, the effects of SSW on the North Pole do not propagate down into the troposphere (where weather occurs obviously) until at least two weeks after the SSW. However, the effects can take up to 2-3 months to take place also. That's not to say we'll always get cold in our favour though because the blocking caused by the SSW could end up on the wrong side of the Arctic Circle like eastern Europe, Siberia, North America etc blowing up the Polar Jet for us.

You are correct with saying most Winters tend to have a SSW event but it was a much more frequent event in the 20th century than the 21st century so far - which shouldn't be to no surprise given the limited amount of cold Winters in this century and the theory of SSW.

Since 2010/11, there have been two SSW events, January 2013 and March 2016. January 2013 was easily the most severe SSW event for quite some time as it obliterated the Polar Vortex. Any mild was rather short lived and the Winter was cold overall in spite of a rather mild December - and in some places, a rather mild January too.

January 2017 was initially regarded as an extremely weak SSW but due to how weak it was, it was then reconsidered as a failed SSW. Of course, we received the (very disappointing) February easterly two weeks after it occurred.

SSW events in different months tend to play out different conditions for our Winter interestingly enough. November, January and February SSW events tend to be good for cold Winters whilst December SSW events on the other hand do not. I do not know why this is the case at all.

If a cold spell is already occurring before a SSW event however, the SSW can ruin the cold spell and bring much milder weather. This is a rare occurrence though. February 2009 was such an example.

Good examples of SSW events and cold spells following them:
    • January 2013 (February was a cold month but nothing impressive, March was one of the coldest on record with a record breaking March -AO)
    • January 2006 (late February and early March cold snap)
    • February 2001 (late February and early March snow/cold)
    • February 1981 (April blizzards)
    • November 1962 (Winter 1962/63 - coldest of the 20th century)
    However, as I said, this is an ongoing theory and still requires quite a bit of research.

You can check out all the SSW events that occurred since 1950/51 in my Winter methodology tables in the Irish Weather Statistics thread.

No change in the AO on the GFS ensembles today, continuing to be negative even into the start of the second half of December.

HuE09Dj.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Sunday looking very interesting for the Northern part of the country. Could be substantial accumulations before the wind switches from SE to NW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sudden stratospheric warming is an ongoing theory Oneiric 3, it was only made in late 2012 and early 2013 during the January 2013 SSW. A stratospheric warming is where temperatures in the stratosphere rise high very fast and extremely so in a short period of time. However, for a sudden stratospheric warming to be considered, it has to obliterate the Polar Vortex or reverse the zonal westerlies. It is a very strict definition. According to scientists who had discovered this theory, the effects of SSW on the North Pole do not propagate down into the troposphere (where weather occurs obviously) until at least two weeks after the SSW. However, the effects can take up to 2-3 months to take place also. That's not to say we'll always get cold in our favour though because the blocking caused by the SSW could end up on the wrong side of the Arctic Circle like eastern Europe, Siberia, North America etc blowing up the Polar Jet for us.

You are correct with saying most Winters tend to have a SSW event but it was a much more frequent event in the 20th century than the 21st century so far - which shouldn't be to no surprise given the limited amount of cold Winters in this century and the theory of SSW.

Since 2010/11, there have been two SSW events, January 2013 and March 2016. January 2013 was easily the most severe SSW event for quite some time as it obliterated the Polar Vortex. Any mild was rather short lived and the Winter was cold overall in spite of a rather mild December - and in some places, a rather mild January too.

January 2017 was initially regarded as an extremely weak SSW but due to how weak it was, it was then reconsidered as a failed SSW. Of course, we received the (very disappointing) February easterly two weeks after it occurred.

SSW events in different months tend to play out different conditions for our Winter interestingly enough. November, January and February SSW events tend to be good for cold Winters whilst December SSW events on the other hand do not. I do not know why this is the case at all.

If a cold spell is already occurring before a SSW event however, the SSW can ruin the cold spell and bring much milder weather. This is a rare occurrence though. February 2009 was such an example.

Good examples of SSW events and cold spells following them:
    • January 2013 (February was a cold month but nothing impressive, March was one of the coldest on record with a record breaking March -AO)
    • January 2006 (late February and early March cold snap)
    • February 2001 (late February and early March snow/cold)
    • February 1981 (April blizzards)
    • November 1962 (Winter 1962/63 - coldest of the 20th century)
    However, as I said, this is an ongoing theory and still requires quite a bit of research.

You can check out all the SSW events that occurred since 1950/51 in my Winter methodology tables in the Irish Weather Statistics thread.

Extremely informative Syran. Fair play. :)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met reports 9pm December 6th and its very mild out

Finner,Gurteen and Moorepark all 14 degrees, windy to(along the coasts) Belmullet gusting 38 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes they do - as you saw from previous signs of the stratosphere warming on the GFS that I've posted before hand which had disappeared. This one is much more significant but it's still a long way into the FI range.

I don't know if you saw this post over on netweather, so i thought i would bring it to your attention given the discussion at hand:

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/88772-stratosphere-temperature-watch-201718/?do=findComment&comment=3667663

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice bright dry day here today. Cool enough in the breeze and out of the sun with a temperature of around 7 degrees. Great to see a bit of blue sky and brightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks very cold Sunday night towards the North East, and nationwide on Monday Night.

Normally the ME 5 day forecast on their website can underestimate how low temperatures can get at night, so it's unusual to see a figure of -5c on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Mid to long term our winter prospects are looking good - the GEFS continue to show elevated heights to our North/North east and across the pole well into the future, a flow from an easterly quadrant looking increasingly likely for the final quarter of the month.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_65.png

The stratospheric vortex is just not strengthening as one would expect at this time of year, this isn't our normal December setup at all. In fact mean zonal wind speeds are due to weaken further.

u_65N_10hpa.png

u10serie.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Issued just now from met eireann

National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Longford, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    Snow showers will occur this evening, tonight and during Friday. Accumulations of 4 to 8 cm expected, with the larger values on high ground. Icy roads and footpaths.

Issued:Thursday 07 December 2017 16:10
    Valid:Thursday 07 December 2017 16:00 to Friday 08 December 2017 18:00

nagdefy wrote: »
    Just a bit of reminiscing. I have access to archival papers. Here's a little pic from the Irish Independent for Tue January 13th 1987. My favourite winter's day of all time! Serious snowfall. Just look at the daytime temperatures on the left hand side of the image. Sorry still trying to get the image format right!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Walter/Desktop/Tue%2013%20Jan%201987.jpg[/IMG]

Upload the picture onto a site like Imgur and copy the URL into the image function on Boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Just a bit of reminiscing. I have access to archival papers. Here's a little pic from the Irish Independent for Tue January 13th 1987. My favourite winter's day of all time! Serious snowfall. Just look at the daytime temperatures on the left hand side of the image.

Image attached..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just look at the daytime temperatures on the left hand side of the image.
    Seems like we were 10 or 20 degrees warmer than the rest of Europe :pac:

I love it when the word 'marginal' doesn't enter the equation:D

Seems like we were 10 or 20 degrees warmer than the rest of Europe :pac:

Pretty typical of a deep easterly. Berlin -11C etc.

Copenhagen -13C, impressive..

Moscow -32C! Daytime temps.

Significant accumulations on Sunday in the north and east according to the Met Eireann forecast on RTE now.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Significant accumulations on Sunday in the north and east according to the Met Eireann forecast on RTE now.

From a personal point of view possible largest snowfall since 31st March 2010.

From a personal point of view possible largest snowfall since 31st March 2010.

For me, it would be since 23rd December 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'll believe it when I see it. I remember Dec 09 there was a frontal snow situation that seemed to be nailed down. Instead it lashed rain for 48 hours straight. Had that been snow it would have been a 1982 beater.

Calibos wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it. I remember Dec 09 there was a frontal snow situation that seemed to be nailed down. Instead it lashed rain for 48 hours straight. Had that been snow it would have been a 1982 beater.

Are you referring to this?

NOAA_1_2009122918_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Calibos wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it. I remember Dec 09 there was a frontal snow situation that seemed to be nailed down. Instead it lashed rain for 48 hours straight.

The famous Wet-bulb Wednesday. Typified our climate to a tee. Proved how exceptional it is here to get proper frontal snow.

Met Eireann's 5 day forecast giving -9c inland on Sunday night (or Monday Midnight).

If true, this would surely verify as the coldest air temperature since 2010?

[LEVEL 1 Weather Alert - Be Aware] Sunday 10th Dec - Snow Event

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057817783

Nice bright crisp morning here today. A good 4 degrees warmer than last Friday morning and small bit of ice on the car at 6.30am.

Lovely day here bright blue skies and sunny. No snow no ice no frost no biting wind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not sure this is the right thread, but this post has me wondering since I read it on the "event" thread...
    It'll almost certainly be rain in the southern half of the country, too early to tell whether the north will be affected. Current guidance showing snow over Ulster but I can't recall a single Atlantic battleground snow event in my lifetime so naturally I'm a bit skeptical
    Was March 2013 not an atlantic battleground situation? What was the difference to what could come off this weekend? I remember it was mayhem with flooding in Dublin and Wicklow, and massive snow drifts and collapsing farm buildings in the North.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wow that is cold !

nmmuk-32-72-0_hhy5.png

• Advertisement

Wow that is cold !

nmmuk-32-72-0_hhy5.png

Here's what Met Éireann is showing for Monday morning - that somebody was referring to earlier on their 5 day forecast graphics.

eWsF9D9.gif

Advertisement