Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Interesting piece of archive footage from winter1985. Distant memory now. ://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21190586-heavy-snow-and-blizzards/ Bloody link not working apologies. The whole country got a good dumping that year. If you want to see the clip just Google RTE Archives and you will find it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Met Eireann's 5 day forecast giving -9c inland on Sunday night (or Monday Midnight).

If true, this would surely verify as the coldest air temperature since 2010?

-12 in my area which is North Tipperary on Christmas Eve night 2010 i'm living well inland and normally we would see severe frosts durning a cold snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Today's GEFS are pointing towards a neutral AO and NAO now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

natashaob6 wrote: »
    -12 in my area which is North Tipperary on Christmas Eve night 2010 i'm living well inland and normally we would see severe frosts durning a cold snap.

I'm surprised it wasn't lower - Casement had an overnight low of -16C the following morning!! Think Dublin AP got to -12c that same period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lovely day in Waterford, the wind was a minor matter so the sun made its mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I'm surprised it wasn't lower - Casement had an overnight low of -16C the following morning!! Think Dublin AP got to -12c that same period

I recorded -18 in the car near Sallins on Christmas eve that year. I'd say it's highly unlikely I'll see cold like that again in my lifetime, savage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

severe-weather.EU‏
    @severeweatherEU

Extremely deep trough over western Europe on Monday, should bring snow for parts of British Isles, France, Benelux and N Spain.

Not much precipitation showing up in the charts on Monday yet though.

yeOWuVz.jpg?1

nmmuk-21-66-0_fbm9.png

nmmuk-16-66-0_lrt3.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

2.2C here near Tralee with recent showers of rain/ sleet.

Getting cold out there.

temp_uk_vqy8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Had to nip outside just there. Looks like a really hard frost setting in..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

toughest frost of the year so far here, really freezing hard and still bits of snow in shaded areas that didn't melt yesterday.

• Advertisement

Here's what ME's 5 day forecast graphics are showing for tonight and Sunday night respectively.

c8DexPr.gif

TZophjn.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hate cloudy days when it's been frosty overnight. Which is what we've got now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Very cloudy today, all the lying snow we had is gone and it feels a bit milder then yesterday to, no sign of frost at all here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Very cloudy today, all the lying snow we had is gone and it feels a bit milder then yesterday to, no sign of frost at all here

It gets mild to snow as the old saying says:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Full gloomy cold day here temperature maxed atb 3.5 hovering around 1.0 most of time. No frost again there has been absolutely no event here at all this week. Interesting to see if tomorrow brings us anything.

nagdefy wrote: »
    It gets mild to snow as the old saying says:)

Ah not expecting anything in my area, the bbc go with rain here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Ah not expecting anything in my area, the bbc go with rain here

You just don't know. Best not to have the hopes up but stranger things have happened.

nagdefy wrote: »
    You just don't know. Best not to have the hopes up but stranger things have happened.

True but i find the bbc are fairly reliable in their forecast, sky has finally cleared here now, and its baltic

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Seems like it’ll be back to mild soon after this, models are showing a return to an Atlantic regime towards the end of this week. Enjoy the snow while it lasts!

Seems like it’ll be back to mild soon after this, models are showing a return to an Atlantic regime towards the end of this week. Enjoy the snow while it lasts!

'Em later this week is looking cold and wintry again after a band of rain pushes through Tuesday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

sryanbruen wrote: »
    'Em later this week is looking cold and wintry again after a band of rain pushes through Tuesday night.

Hence why I said the end of this week. Next weekend looking like a return to zonal unfortunately, although it’s a long way out so it could all change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There really are some X-rated horrific charts showing up lately, too horrible to post an example in the season of goodwill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Horrible horrible day wet snow cold stuck inside unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hence why I said the end of this week. Next weekend looking like a return to zonal unfortunately, although it’s a long way out so it could all change.

Well all good things must past. So if it goes back to the usual routine so be it. That said given the current northern hemisphere profile, i don't think any return to zonality will be that long lasting.

As nacho libre said, if things continue the way they are with the zonal winds weakened, there are small chances that we will see an extended period of zonal weather. Northern blocking looks like significantly weakening next week yes - the AO seems to go very positive for a few days then back down to neutral on today's GEFS. Meanwhile, the NAO stays around neutral throughout with signs of negativity into the second half of December.

I wouldn't put my bets on our usual zonal conditions being a thing yet!

Here's how December has shaped up so far up to the 8th. Very blocked month already.

MXD7LYo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 48,163 ✭✭✭✭km79

Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As already mentioned could be some snow showers Wed/Thurs particularly in the west in a cold northwesterly wind.

For the east a more organised band of precipitation could fall as snow Wednesday evening.

One to watch and no on-shore spoiler wind to worry about this time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It was - 6 in Naas at 5.30 this morning. We have one snow shower yesterday and it just stayed on the cars.

Car was an a Ice sheet. It was cold enough to have frost on the inside of the car.

In Dublin now and it's still -2.

I am going to miss this weather next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Got down to - 3.7c here,coldest Dec temp for me since 2010,currently -2.4c

Advertisement