Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

• 08-12-2017 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MOD NOTE

This is a busy thread and as a result the Mod Team will be taking a zero Tolerance approach to trolling and flaming

Don’t say you weren’t warned!!

And please don’t feed - report & let the Mod team deal with it

**It would be helpful to all that when posting weather reports that locations are added in the post ( this can be kept general if preferred) **

Thanks

As requested.

Sunday will be an event for many Northern and North Western areas. With regards to other areas it's a delicate situation.

To summarise:

Rain will move in from the southwest on Saturday night but will meet embedded very cold air over the country. It will turn to snow as it moves northeastward. It's a classic "battle ground" scenario between different air masses.

It will fall as snow initially over North Leinster (it will turn back to rain for a time). Over Ulster and most of Connaught it will fall as heavy snow throughout the event. Large accumulations in these parts. I would be of the opinion at least an orange warning is needed for these parts as of now - possibly red nearer the time.

Later on Sunday as the system begins to unwind and move away it returns to snow over Leinster and turns to snow in Munster with accumulations here. Not as significant but could still be disruptive.

As it clears it gets very cold and icy - another hazard in itself. Temperatures will plunge Sunday night well below freezing. Coldest night of the year so far.

This looks a severe event in the north and northwest including northern Connaught right now.

There is still the risk of significant snow further south as well. This is not 100% nailed in terms of where this will effect. Regardless many are going to see a significant snowfall.

I think it is safe to say this will be the most significant frontal snow event the country has seen in many years for the areas effected.

This is 48 hours out. There is no doubt it will be impactful.

Another risk is flooding, a lot of water associated with this.

I would advise people in the north and northwest - and Connaught - to keep up to date on forecasts and be prepared.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'll believe it when i see it. It has all gone pear shaped before with less than 48 hours ago for frontal snow on lower ground. It's likely some snow will fall over much of Ulster and high ground in Connacht. Mountainy man might be snowed in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I was thinking along these same lines, kermit, looking at the guidance this "morning" and my take will be somewhat similar although I could see how this slides southeast rather quickly and delivers more to the inland southeast perhaps?

Just looking at various guidance to see the spread, have not reached forecast stage yet but certainly as you say potentially a disruptive snow and ice event. Winds come around to northeast for some time Sunday night also, surface direction likely to be a bit too northerly for major streamer action but everything on a knife edge despite being 48-72h out.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

A lot of movement still possible for this feature, latest updates from HIRLAM and ECM are taking the precipitation further south again meaning Midlands more at risk than the north if it does fall as snow. If the trend south continues precipitation could be light even in north Leinster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Is this even likely to effect south west Munster?
    Thanks,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yes, the ECM takes it a little further south meaning snow more generally and less for the far north.

An event for most but for those on the east coast or in Dublin i'd be wary of that onshore breeze - a sleety mix or rain seems favored here. Later Sunday I think the snow line gets to the coast.

• Advertisement

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Dave

Later Sunday, yes there could well be snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

@kermit I would still say plemty of changes !

Thanks! I'm cutting a hole in the external kitchen wall for new doors so I can pretty much guarantee the worst snow since 2010 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I very much doubt it in Munster particularly the south west.

I very much doubt it in Munster particularly the south west.

Most favored when winds go Northeasterly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Dave

very very unlikely to affect any part of Munster especially the SW fringes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It'll almost certainly be rain in the southern half of the country, too early to tell whether the north will be affected. Current guidance showing snow over Ulster but I can't recall a single Atlantic battleground snow event in my lifetime so naturally I'm a bit skeptical

GFS ups stakes, further south, a lot more in play. Leinster, Connaught and south Ulster in the firing line. Munster later.

kod87 wrote: »
    very very unlikely to affect any part of Munster especially the SW fringes

Sorry, south west may be a bit misleading. I'm between Macroom and Ballyvouney at about 200mASL. Still out of luck I guess though!
    Thanks,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Could be quite a bit of good old rain and wind gusts on Sunday too:

435605.gif

giphy.gif

Storm Dylan, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Sunday looking more and more interesting, at the current rate the slider is tracking South I think the Midlands/Wicklow mountains will take the brunt of it. Wouldn't be surprised if the North largely missed out in the end- lots of uncertainty though and a shift north or south by 50 miles will make all the difference with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

GFS showing "potential" of 24 hours of snow for places .

iconeu_uk1-1-50-0.png?08-10

HIRLAM latest run has Sunday just coming into view and it's going for a fair old pasting of snow for the mid-west, midlands, and a fairly large swathe of the east coast (although seemingly just rain/sleet in north Dublin):

tempresult_vlw9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

iconeu_uk1-1-50-0.png?08-10

4-8cm an hour possible if we go with a 10:1 ratio :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MJohnston wrote: »
    HIRLAM latest run has Sunday just coming into view and it's going for a fair old pasting of snow for the mid-west, midlands, and a fairly large swathe of the east coast (although seemingly just rain/sleet in north Dublin):

tempresult_vlw9.gif

I really can't see too much falling except on very high ground for most of Munster. There are too many things which can go wrong which usually do.

I really can't see too much falling except on very high ground for most of Munster. There are too many things which can go wrong which usually do.

Well the model run I posted shows only rain for Munster, so it's certainly not predicting snow for there.

Well the model run I posted shows only rain for Munster, so it's certainly not predicting snow for there.

When the wrap around kicks in with the northeasterly rain will turn to snow in Munster;)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Looks as though the midlands and parts of the east could be in for a pasting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

tempresult_vlw9.gif

Widespread snowfall there for Mayo,right out to the coastline, interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

so it probably wouldnt be an ideal weekend to be driving west to east today and east to west on sunday !

woody1 wrote: »
    so it probably wouldnt be an ideal weekend to be driving west to east today and east to west on sunday !

I'd give it a miss.

A potentially serious situation is unfolding for more remote parts of the west.

Keep up to date.

This is quite exciting, however even at 48 hours these fronts can be inaccurately positioned by all models. There is every chance it will continue slipping southward in future runs bringing more and more counties out of firing line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

This is quite exciting, however even at 48 hours these fronts can be inaccurately positioned by all models. There is every chance it will continue slipping southward in future runs bringing more and more counties out of firing line.

That's what I'm hoping, if that HIRLAM model is to be believed then a slight shift southwards and I'm in the business. Actually starting to think I might see a few flakes

• Advertisement

However it is unlikely to miss Ireland completely so I guess someone is gonna cop the white gold in significant quantity

Advertisement