Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why can't they enforce bus stop misuse???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I hate when people do that and then they are all high and mighty saying I was doing the speed limit. If you want to drive slow go a head but don't act the fool and pull out in front of people, just stay in the left hand lane and if you want to pass by someone who is driving slower than you do so quickly even if it means going over 120km/h.
    Absolutely not. You'll still get in trouble with a speed check if you do that.
    Listen, I'm no Saint on the road, I've pushed to 140 and beyond (sat nav indicated) but I have never ever presumed to tell another driver they must drive in a way to enable me to do so. I drive to the conditions presented to me, conditions which include other drivers, I'm responsible for no other road user except myself. Everyone has a reason to be there and it doesn't revolve around me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Will we now see mobility scooters impounded under the same legislation and what about ride on lawn mowers cutting outside private property,? I suppose with no more water protests, traffic corps is at a loose end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Riva10 wrote: »
    Will we now see mobility scooters impounded under the same legislation and what about ride on lawn mowers cutting outside private property,? I suppose with no more water protests, traffic corps is at a loose end.

The RSA distinguish between mobility scooters and other powered vehicles
    Powered vehicles such as a golf buggy, a quad bike, a ride-on lawn mower etc, etc are designed and intended for off-road private use only. These are mechanically propelled vehicles and if used on a public road (public road includes footpath) are subject to all of the regulatory controls that apply to other vehicles. These vehicles would have to be registered, taxed, be subject to vehicle lighting requirements and subject to vehicle construction, equipment and use regulations as regards brakes etc. The driver of the vehicle would have to hold a driving licence and be insured to drive that vehicle. Essentially these vehicles would be subject to all of the road traffic law provisions that apply to mechanically propelled vehicles generally.

An exception is made in the case of powered wheelchairs that are used by persons who have a mobility disability. Powered wheelchairs (including mobility scooters) are regarded for all intents and purposes as having pedestrian status and as being 'the legs' of the wheelchair user and are not regarded as an optional mode of vehicle transport that requires driver licence, registration, motor tax, etc. No distinction is made between self-propelled wheelchairs and powered wheelchairs. Powered wheelchairs can be used on footpaths (it is a penalty point offence for any other mechanically propelled vehicle to drive along a footpath), can enter pedestrianised streets and cycle tracks, can enter buildings etc in the same manner as pedestrians. Wheelchair or mobility scooter users are in special circumstances as regards essential personal mobility needs arising from a disability and, as already stated, the wheelchair is therefore regarded as an extension of the person rather than as a mode of transport vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Riva10 wrote: »

If your wife/sibling/husband/child was killed in a road traffic collision a guard, often times a member of traffic corps would need to call on your door and other next of kin's doors to notify you.

They've had to do it 88 times already this year so I contest your assertion that they are at a loose end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

D Trent wrote: »
    If your wife/sibling/husband/child was killed in a road traffic collision a guard, often times a member of traffic corps would need to call on your door and other next of kin's doors to notify you.

They've had to do it 88 times already this year so I contest your assertion that they are at a loose end.

You can contest whatever you like . It still does'nt change the fact that the Gardai have not enamoured themselves with their heavy handed attitude to water protesters or their days in the witness box of late.
    As you would appear to have access to statistics can you answer the following
    How many cyclists have received fines for breaking red lights (Traffic) ?
    How many unregistered quad bikes have been impounded?
    How many ride on lawnmower operators have been prosecuted?
    :D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Back to earth question :

What category do electric assisted push bikes come under ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If they are assisted, and have a maximum speed of 30kph (IIRC), they are bikes.
    If they can proceed under their own power (without the rider having to use the pedals), and/or can go faster, they are mopeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Back to earth question :

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1728&Lang=1

Push bike has pedals.
    That thing from the link didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Back to earth question :

RayCun wrote: »
    If they can proceed under their own power (without the rider having to use the pedals), and/or can go faster, they are mopeds.

It depends on how they are assisted, if they are the pedal assist type then they are "pedal bicycle" as the rider must still pedal to provide propulsion. If they are of another type of assist such as the throttle assist then they are a "mechanically propelled vehicle" for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act as such bikes do not need the rider to continue pedalling to provide propulsion.

Before being classed as a moped speed would have to be above 45 km/h and power above 4500w.

This topic always seems to cause great confusion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Back to earth question :

RayCun wrote: »

As it stands they can only have a maximum speed of 25km/h, and that's assisted speed, you must still be pedalling. And the motors are limited to 250watts.

However, many e-bikes out there do not comply with this. I've been passed by some doing 40km/h+ with little effort being put in by the pedaller!

• Advertisement

Category AM: Two-wheel vehicles or three-wheel vehicles with a maximum design speed of not more than 45 km/h and with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimetres.

Driver licensing categories are out of touch with the EUs vehicle classification and technical requirements.

As it stands they can only have a maximum speed of 25km/h, and that's assisted speed, you must still be pedalling. And the motors are limited to 250watts.

It's 1000W since 2013.

However, many e-bikes out there do not comply with this. I've been passed by some doing 40km/h+ with little effort being put in by the pedaller!

E-bikes can legally do upto 45 km/h and have a power upto 4000W, these (>25 km/h and >1000W) are classed as "light two-wheel powered vehicles" for the non-pedal assist types such as throttle assists, for RTA purposes they are MPVs.

"Powered cycle" is the correct name for pedal assist types (<25 kh/m and <1000W ), for RTA purposes these are pedal bicycles.

As I said this topic always seems to cause great confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

what about a unicycle with a V8 engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

GM228 wrote: »
    It's 1000W since 2013.

E-bikes can legally do upto 45 km/h and have a power upto 4000W, these (>25 km/h and >1000W) are classed as "light two-wheel powered vehicles" for the non-pedal assist types such as throttle assists, for RTA purposes they are MPVs.

"Powered cycle" is the correct name for pedal assist types (<25 kh/m and <1000W ), for RTA purposes these are pedal bicycles.

As I said this topic always seems to cause great confusion.

I'm going to have to ask for a source here.

This seems to say otherwise:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/si/412/made/en/print
    (c) cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling, and

• Advertisement

I'm going to have to ask for a source here.

This seems to say otherwise:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/si/412/made/en/print

The 2005 regulations were repealed.

For anyone confused about e-bikes see this thread, I provided the relevant links in the last post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's a polo right?

bear1 wrote: »
    It's a polo right?

Seems to have a hole at the front and back, not in the middle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I was trying to think of a polo mint joke but came up with nothing fresh... :D
    must have been going some speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

D Trent wrote: »
    Not gardatraffic but.........jaaaaaaaasus&#55357;&#56853;

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1604055616331921&id=164905970246900

Is that here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

bear1 wrote: »
    It's a polo right?

Thought it may have been a Micra..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Vicxas wrote: »
    Thought it may have been a Micra..

It's a Polo 9n, mirror is a giveaway

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

markc1184 wrote: »

"Keys were phished through the letterbox"

The things people can do with computers these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't imagine points and fines have as much of an effect as seizing a car. Even if they buy another ****ebox for €500 at least it gets them off the road for a while. Half these ***** seem to sort to rack up points anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

That's the cutest ass I've seen in ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I can't believe they didn't post up a pic of the mattress in the overtaking lane on the M9 this morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,460 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

markc1184 wrote: »

It's very clear the focal point of that picture, and it's not the car. It's clear sexism at it's best. Who ever took picture was capturing his subject and it was front and centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,551 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's very clear the focal point of that picture, and it's not the car. It's clear sexism at it's best. Who ever took picture was capturing his subject and it was front and centre.

Maybe the bean-Gardai should have burkas as their uniform, it'd cut that right out

:rolleyes:

Or maybe introduce a rule - no photographing female members of the force under any circumstances, in case someone on Boards gets triggered... ffs

I was looking at the €5 pizza offer :)

Scrap the cap!

Maybe the bean-Gardai should have burkas as their uniform, it'd cut that right out

Or maybe introduce a rule - no photographing female members of the force under any circumstances, in case someone on Boards gets triggered... ffs

Doesn't bother me, I'm just stating the obvious. He could clearly say, 'excuse me Ms, I want to capture this on camera can you move out of my shot'' , why say that though when she was the shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Doesn't bother me, I'm just stating the obvious. He could clearly say, 'excuse me Ms, I want to capture this on camera can you move out of my shot'' , why say that though when she was the shot.
    Or maybe he's showing it was a plain clothes officer as stated in the tweet, or maybe 'they' just took a photo and didn't realise how sexist 'they' were being.
    Is it sexist to presume a man took the photo like you did?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

A flat arse i think.

Every photo has a focal point, it's the subject. When you look at that picture what do we all see, the focal point. Camera doesn't lie.
    The focal point is the rear of a female officer in skinny tight jeans. The focal point of a photograph is an insight into the mind of the photographer who captured it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,551 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would he have to do the same if a male member of the force was standing there, or is it just women who require special treatment?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Less chat more pics

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Every photo has a focal point, it's the subject. When you look at that picture what do we all see, the focal point. Camera doesn't lie.
    The focal point is the rear of a female officer in skinny tight jeans. The focal point of a photograph is an insight into the mind of the photographer who captured it.

You're a male, so what's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The focal point is the plain-clothes Garda who prevented a crime in progress, and who has her back turned because they clearly have more sense than to publish a pic of the face of a plain-clothes Garda.

But if it'll make your evening to work yourself into an offended tizz about it then please, don't let common sense get in your way.

blackwhite wrote: »
    The focal point is the plain-clothes Garda who prevented a crime in progress, and who has her back turned because they clearly have more sense than to publish a pic of the face of a plain-clothes Garda.

But if it'll make your evening to work yourself into an offended tizz about it then please, don't let common sense get in your way.

That why have her in photo at all/ plus her badge in on her back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement