Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Rugby's Biggest Bandwagon; 28/5/2016 17:30 Murrayfield: SS3 & TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Anyone know how to synchronize TG4 and local radio as I enjoyed last Saturdays rugby match but the commentator drove me around the bend something like driving in a foggy day. I believe it can be done by using the pause button on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Munster built Thomand Park and now can't fill it. Not giving Connacht the same thing shouldn't necessarily be seen as the IRFU favouring someone else. Mistakes were made with Munster. Connacht need a bigger ground but they shouldn't go crazy building huge stadiums and getting into debt. There was a huge swell of support in Munster during the good years and we can see the drop off there now. Connacht's success has obviously attracted a lot of new interest in the team but for every one that has discovered a genuine love of the game there's another one just on the bandwagon.

First of all, pretty much everyone has to get into debt to build a stadium. The lifespan is at least 40 years, so why you should have it all paid off in the first couple of years is just nonsense. Munster have raised about 35m themselves to build Thomond Park which is incredible.

One other thing - the old Thomond Park held a max of about 14K, so the attendance have not dropped off. In the Pro12 in Nov 2006 in Thomond Park, Munster v Ospreys attracted 6,254 and Munster v Leinster at Christmas didn't fill Thomond Park (13,200).

It will be worth Munster's while though owning their own stadium as they can use it to generate other income.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Anyone know how to synchronize TG4 and local radio as I enjoyed last Saturdays rugby match but the commentator drove me around the bend something like driving in a foggy day. I believe it can be done by using the pause button on TV

well if the TV is 10 seconds ahead of the radio then just pause tv for 10 seconds and play again !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

jm08 wrote: »
    First of all, pretty much everyone has to get into debt to build a stadium. The lifespan is at least 40 years, so why you should have it all paid off in the first couple of years is just nonsense. Munster have raised about 35m themselves to build Thomond Park which is incredible.

One other thing - the old Thomond Park held a max of about 14K, so the attendance have not dropped off. In the Pro12 in Nov 2006 in Thomond Park, Munster v Ospreys attracted 6,254 and Munster v Leinster at Christmas didn't fill Thomond Park (13,200).

It will be worth Munster's while though owning their own stadium as they can use it to generate other income.

so the fanbase hasnt grown or did you just pick low attendances for your examples, i wonder what the yearly average home match attendances was for the period 2005 to 2009?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

first 8 minutes in particular reminded me of this
    [img][/img]http://giphy.com/gifs/lotr-gandalf-lord-of-the-rings-njYrp176NQsHS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

jm08 wrote: »

None of that goes against the point I was making. If the IRFU don't give Connacht the exact same money they Munster it shouldn't be seen as another slight at Connacht. Munster had a swell of support much like Connacht are having now but they struggle to fill their stadium. Not everyone who got on the Munster bandwagon stayed on it. The same thing will happen with Connacht. I know they will have to get into some debt to build or redevelop, my point is simply that if the IRFU don't help them build something the size of Thomand it shouldn't be used as another sick to beat them with.

its strange how these game threads tend to end up in bickering. maybe time to close this as well and let everybody back to their provincial threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

None of that goes against the point I was making. If the IRFU don't give Connacht the exact same money they Munster it shouldn't be seen as another slight at Connacht. Munster had a swell of support much like Connacht are having now but they struggle to fill their stadium. Not everyone who got on the Munster bandwagon stayed on it. The same thing will happen with Connacht. I know they will have to get into some debt to build or redevelop, my point is simply that if the IRFU don't help them build something the size of Thomand it shouldn't be used as another sick to beat them with.

No one is calling for a place the size of Thomond out west. Clearly pointed out by Willie Ruane last week that 10k is a realistic and sustainable size.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

its_phil wrote: »
    No one is calling for a place the size of Thomond out west. Clearly pointed out by Willie Ruane last week that 10k is a realistic and sustainable size.

10k with the possibility to add temporary seating for bigger matches would be perfect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

10k with the possibility to add temporary seating for bigger matches would be perfect.

It's all we want

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »

I know that. Following the actual conversation I was having.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I have and it's going around in an awful hypothetical and unrealistic circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So then you see that Connacht fans aren't asking for the exact same money as Munster?

I think it would be terrific for Irish rugby if Connacht were to own their own stadium. Make hay while the sun is shining etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I think it would be terrific for Irish rugby if Connacht were to own their own stadium. Make hay while the sun is shining etc

I don't think it matters who owns it so long as it's fit for purpose and that's the key question. The RDS is perfect for Leinster yet they don't own it, no big deal.

Upgrading the Sportsground, get a long term lease, and finding a larger stadium for the really juicy games is the best solution IMO.

The best venue for the occasional game is probably Thomond (but not against Munster, obvs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

b.gud wrote: »
    100% agree building something with a capacity of 15-20K would be crazy. However a hand from the IRFU in building the 10K stadium that Willie Ruane talked about a few weeks ago, which showed ambition but also seemed very reasonable, would certainly be helpful.

A 10k stadium would be about spot on.

The thing is, the west of Ireland is starved of successful sports teams, particularly Galway :)

Any success would be jumped on. I do think Connacht could sustain a 10K capacity stadium over the long run. It can be nigh impossible to get tickets for some of the bigger games.

This is not a Pearse Stadium white elephant we are talking about which is filled once every second or third year. A smallish sized stadium could be filled on a regular basis particularly for games against the other Irish provinces as well as European Champions Cup games.

Nope, not looking for a Thomand Park size stadium at all. 10K would be about right. No-one would beat the IRFU if they didn't help Connacht build a Thomand Size stadium, absolutely not.

They would beat them if they didn't help out with a 10K size redevelopment with zero interest loans and similar terms. So its up to the IRFU now to help out. Lets see what they do.

So then you see that Connacht fans aren't asking for the exact same money as Munster?

The post I originally replied to was one suggesting Connacht would be fobbed off and fans told to be happy with what they have. It also mentioned Munster getting money to build Thomand.

All I said was that Munster have a giant stadium they can't currently fill and that if the IRFU decide to take a more cautious/realistic approach with helping Connacht build or redevelop it doesn't mean Connacht are being fobbed off and treated as the lesser province.

I know Connacht fans and the powers that be in Connacht aren't looking to build Thomand II. I know that the plans laid out by Connacht the other week are reasonable and realistic.

The post I originally replied to was one suggesting Connacht would be fobbed off and fans told to be happy with what they have. It also mentioned Munster getting money to build Thomand.

All I said was that Munster have a giant stadium they can't currently fill and that if the IRFU decide to take a more cautious/realistic approach with helping Connacht build or redevelop it doesn't mean Connacht are being fobbed off and treated as the lesser province.

I know Connacht fans and the powers that be in Connacht aren't looking to build Thomand II. I know that the plans laid out by Connacht the other week are reasonable and realistic.

No-one in Connacht want's a Thomand sized stadium, everyone agrees on that.

That said, Connacht do want all the support, financial or otherwise to improve or develop a smallish new stadium that matches the ambitions of the club. Given the support the IRFU has given to Thomand, Aviva and Kingspan (will have to check up on this), it would on be fair.

That said, Connacht do want all the support, financial or otherwise to improve or develop a smallish new stadium that matches the ambitions of the club. Given the support the IRFU has given to Thomand, Aviva and Kingspan (will have to check up on this), it would on be fair.

Yes, and if that turns out the be less than Munster, or any of the provinces, got for redevelopment, it doesn't need to be looked at as Connacht being poorly treated. Is all I was saying.

They should be given what they need. What they need probably won't be as much as Thomand Park cost.

Kingspan wasn't the IRFU, nor is the RDS redevelopment.

Aviva is the national stadium, a bit different to any of the others. Thomond has turned out to be much harder to fund than anticipated.

I'm completely in favour of Connacht getting assistance by the way, but it's not like everyone has been getting handouts left, right and center as you seem to suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I was chatting to one of the branch on Sunday at the homecoming, we briefly broached a few topics as we took in the crowds in the sportgrounds.

He said they dont care what the other provinces get or have gotten in the past or are getting now, We have shown that we can win trophies and what other provinces situations are has nothing to do with where Connacht are going.

We can worry that Leinster have 2 chops on their plate or that Munster got more gravy or we can simply eat what we get and make do with that. By all means dont sell yourself short when looking to fill your plate but dont upset yourself by giving off about it.

Basically the whinging is done and hard work to help ourselves is the order of the day. If we want an extra chop and some more gravy, we will just have to go out and source it ourselves.

Different mindset in Connacht now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Shelflife wrote: »
    I was chatting to one of the branch on Sunday at the homecoming, we briefly broached a few topics as we took in the crowds in the sportgrounds.

He said they dont care what the other provinces get or have gotten in the past or are getting now, We have shown that we can win trophies and what other provinces situations are has nothing to do with where Connacht are going.

We can worry that Leinster have 2 chops on their plate or that Munster got more gravy or we can simply eat what we get and make do with that. By all means dont sell yourself short when looking to fill your plate but dont upset yourself by giving off about it.

Basically the whinging is done and hard work to help ourselves is the order of the day. If we want an extra chop and some more gravy, we will just have to go out and source it ourselves.

Different mindset in Connacht now.

This post has left me more confused about whether Connacht will get help to build a stadium, but more sure that I want chops and gravy right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Unfortunately the IRFU are going to be very cautious about loaning money to the provinces to upgrade their stadiums. Munster's Thomond disaster bled their goodwill dry. I personally think Connacht could fill 10k with the current surge in support and I think they would bring in enough new fans that would stay even after success goes to sustain it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This post has left me more confused about whether Connacht will get help to build a stadium, but more sure that I want chops and gravy right now...

Pork Chop Stadium Confirmed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Shelflife wrote: »

Love this and hope it's true.
    This is exactly what I want to hear.
    If we want to be taken seriously we have to stop the poor-mouth and playing the victim.

Everything is in Connacht's control now. They have the infrastructure, players and the supporters time to take things into their own hands.
    A stadium for Connacht is not a responsibility for the IRFU, GAA, IGB, County Council or even Galway Utd. It is only Connacht's and Connacht alone.
    If they can get other people on board well and good but they shouldn't have to rely on it

They have loads of prime space in the Sportsground that they use as a training pitch. Transforming that into something more valuable would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Love this and hope it's true.
    This is exactly what I want to hear.
    If we want to be taken seriously we have to stop the poor-mouth and playing the victim.

Everything is in Connacht's control now. They have the infrastructure, players and the supporters time to take things into their own hands.
    A stadium for Connacht is not a responsibility for the IRFU, GAA, IGB, County Council or even Galway Utd. It is only Connacht's and Connacht alone.
    If they can get other people on board well and good but they shouldn't have to rely on it
    Agree 100%
    They have loads of prime space in the Sportsground that they use as a training pitch. Transforming that into something more valuable would be a good start.

This is map of the ground, dunno how much they have to work with tbh unless they demolish the car park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Plenty of room for a decent sized stand where the Clan is.
    They just need to clear some space behind it.

I did note that the stands are farther away from the sideline in Murrayfield than in the SG.
    The greyhound track is no impediment to stands along the sideline.

i do love to be right marinersblues but was i right about last weekend. i always believed. over the years i cribbed about henshaw and marmion. i said marmion needed to play faster. and now he does. i said henshaw would be a crap fullback because he lives within the RK mold. No longer. Henshaw was running around players for fun this weekend but it took time. Pat Lam has taught him well.

I am so thrilled for these players. they have developed to be the players i wanted them to be. My bitching is concluded. I saw the potential but finally it was delivered. Robbie Henshaw will be a great player because Pat Lam has taught him to play something other than crash bang rugby, kieran will be a great player because pat lam has shown him how to play quick rugby.

It is simply lovely to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

i do love to be right marinersblues but was i right about last weekend. i always believed. over the years i cribbed about henshaw and marmion. i said marmion needed to play faster. and now he does. i said henshaw would be a crap fullback because he lives within the RK mold. No longer. Henshaw was running around players for fun this weekend but it took time. Pat Lam has taught him well.

I am so thrilled for these players. they have developed to be the players i wanted them to be. My bitching is concluded. I saw the potential but finally it was delivered. Robbie Henshaw will be a great player because Pat Lam has taught him to play something other than crash bang rugby, kieran will be a great player because pat lam has shown him how to play quick rugby.

It is simply lovely to see

I'm sorry but weren't you viciously critical of Lam and the majority of the players for long periods prior to this season?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but weren't you viciously critical of Lam and the majority of the players for long periods prior to this season?

Oh no, that was ouncer! :D
    ouncer wrote: »
    Most important thing in Connacht rugby is to get rid of pat lam asap

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88488886&postcount=8933

Advertisement