Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Rugby's Biggest Bandwagon; 28/5/2016 17:30 Murrayfield: SS3 & TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

The game is currently on Setanta now, just over 30mins gone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

No perhaps about it. Booing is pointless and unnecessary. The only time I'll even consider accepting crowd booing is if a replay shows a player doing something extremely dirty.
    I don't know why you're taking it so personally, Ulster fans have to put up with this most weeks. It was a running joke in the match thread last week.

As for having a dig at people discussing it on a discussion forum, at the time or 2 days later, well.... get off your high horse. That's what the forum is here for.

I only pointed out why people were annoyed. "Taking it personally", LOL. I'm too tired from the weekend and happy from the result to worry about your outrage. As for the discussion forum "dig", totally misunderstood on your part, but llike I said, too tired to worry about your lack of comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Zzippy wrote: »
    Perhaps all fans should refrain from booing, get out their phones and start venting their outrage on internet forums instead, where it's apparently more acceptable...

No perhaps about it. Booing is pointless and unnecessary. The only time I'll even consider accepting crowd booing is if a replay shows a player doing something extremely dirty.
    I don't know why you're taking it so personally, Ulster fans have to put up with this most weeks. It was a running joke in the match thread last week.

As for having a dig at people discussing it on a discussion forum, at the time or 2 days later, well.... get off your high horse. That's what the forum is here for.

Ugh when posters say "don't take it so personally" to a more than decent argument

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The booing was silly but Connacht fans in general were bloody brilliant on the weekend and they themselves were worth every much of the victory as the team were. You can be sure the lads appreciated it a great deal. Hopefully some new fans picked up to fill a new stadium for Connacht before the end of the decade.

I'm not really swept away as much by Connacht's style of play though. I feel like Leinster should have been better prepared for them. Bad mistakes for the tries from experienced players are just so frustrating, and every time I see em back I get angrier. I feel a bit like Denis Green. (THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE, AND WE LET EM OFF THE HOOK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmQbk5h86w )

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Zzippy wrote: »
    I only pointed out why people were annoyed. "Taking it personally", LOL. I'm too tired from the weekend and happy from the result to worry about your outrage. As for the discussion forum "dig", totally misunderstood on your part, but llike I said, too tired to worry about your lack of comprehension.
    its_phil wrote: »
    Ugh when posters say "don't take it so personally" to a more than decent argument

Ugh when posters say "LOL" and accuse people of being outraged and incapable of comprehension in response to a more than decent reply to their argument.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I love a good Boo myself.

Even times when I know what people are booing about is silly I just can't stop myself from joining in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I love a good Boo myself.

Even times when I know what people are booing about is silly I just can't stop myself from joining in.

"I thought you were saying boo-urns"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

freyners wrote: »
    Did you watch it on Tv or were you there? Because it looked like a carbon copy of what happened with Kearney but a different handling by Nigel.

I'm not defending it. But I can understand why it happened.

I regret my post earlier because its a silly thing to be discussing so much after a great game

I was watching on TV.

That's the thing, I can't understand why it happened. It may have looked similar but the ref was nearby, play carried on and the medics treated the player. The same thing happens in rugby games all the time. So I can't understand why some people felt/feel the game should have stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I was watching on TV.

That's the thing, I can't understand why it happened. It may have looked similar but the ref was nearby, play carried on and the medics treated the player. The same thing happens in rugby games all the time. So I can't understand why some people felt/feel the game should have stopped.
    Just watched a rerun of the game. I'm at a loss to understand why the game stopped for Mick Kearney but didn't stop for Tiernan. There is nothing more important than a players wellbeing so no matter who the player is the game should be stopped. I think its disgraceful that the game continues while trying to avoid a comatose player on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I was watching on TV.

Personally I was in the stand and had no idea what people were booing about.
    I am a sucker for peer pressure though, and started booing and abusing Nige for no good reason.

I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

Boo to booing... BOOOOO!!! Connacht you know your team is worrying other fans when this is the direction the forum is taking following such an historic win... Soak it up - Revel in it!

Just watched a rerun of the game. I'm at a loss to understand why the game stopped for Mick Kearney but didn't stop for Tiernan. There is nothing more important than a players wellbeing so no matter who the player is the game should be stopped. I think its disgraceful that the game continues while trying to avoid a comatose player on the ground.

Well this post proves you don't actually read what others post. And that you didn't watch these two incidents closely. Kearney was knocked out instantly. Owens knew this so stopped the game. TOH wasn't knocked out and Owens knew this so the game carried on.

Maybe you can answer the question: what difference to TOH would there have been if the game had been stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

Jeez, this feels like ten pages of people complaining about booing.
    People thought the toh was out, Nigel didn't, Nigel in hindsight made the right call.

Any chance we can move on from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭OldRio

lostboy75 wrote: »
    Jeez, this feels like ten pages of people complaining about booing.
    People thought the toh was out, Nigel didn't, Nigel in hindsight made the right call.

Any chance we can move on from this?

Just no. Some people have to deflect the conversation. It gives them a sense of importance. When their views are challenged a sense of umbrage is felt by the self proclaimed 'wise ones' (bows head). One must never challenge the views of the chosen few.

In other news Connacht beat Leinster and are Pro12 Champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

They were clearly shouting "Rodney Ah Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" and "George Naoupuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu".

Lovely gesture by the Connacht fans for the departing players. Not sure what the rest of yiz are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Did you watch the game? Did you read the thread?

Mick Kearney - Out cold

TOH - Conscious, Owens checked on him personally, thought he was fine and the medics were able to attend to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Guys can we just let it go at this stage.
    It had 0 impact on the result of the game and TOH was fine, he passed the HIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

To say "It'll be interesting to see what support" Connacht get from the IRFU is to be totally ignorant of the amount of work and resources that has already been invested.

Some support but nowhere near the support and help to other provinces, eg the Thomand Park loan.

http://limerickrugby.ie/irfu-balance-sheet-for-2014-reviewed/

Connacht are way behind in terms of its stadium and by extension ability to compete on salaries.

We will hear the usual guff that Connacht are just a flash in the pan, should be happy with what they have, sportsground is big enough as is, etc etc.

Connacht have created a huge fanbase from this victory, and the young fans in particular will be around for a while. Connacht needs a bigger stadium, whether that's redeveloping the sportsground (most people's preference I'd say) or moving somewhere else.

I accept that Henshaw is centrally contracted so the salary thing isn't too big an issue there. But its keeping non centrally contracted players as well as holding onto existing players long term where the problem might be.

Anyways, all this is for another day. Lets continue to enjoy Connacht's great win! :)

Munster built Thomand Park and now can't fill it. Not giving Connacht the same thing shouldn't necessarily be seen as the IRFU favouring someone else. Mistakes were made with Munster. Connacht need a bigger ground but they shouldn't go crazy building huge stadiums and getting into debt. There was a huge swell of support in Munster during the good years and we can see the drop off there now. Connacht's success has obviously attracted a lot of new interest in the team but for every one that has discovered a genuine love of the game there's another one just on the bandwagon.

Leinster definitely benefitted from a Connacht man being down, but it was perfectly within the rules of the game. I also think the Leinster disallowed try was a bad decision. At the end of the day the result was a fair reflection on both teams though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Well this post proves you don't actually read what others post. And that you didn't watch these two incidents closely. Kearney was knocked out instantly. Owens knew this so stopped the game. TOH wasn't knocked out and Owens knew this so the game carried on.

Maybe you can answer the question: what difference to TOH would there have been if the game had been stopped?

My last post on this issue. I watched the replay closely and it can be clearly seen that Nigel has words with tiernan and is happy that while tiernan was injured he was coherent. So yes their was a difference and I admit being incorrect.

That said as a supporter in the stands all you see is a player splayed out on the ground and play continues. To the supporter this is hugely upsetting to see.

And as to what difference it made. At the time tiernan had moved to left wing, Robbie to fullback, peter Robb in the centre and matt to scrum half to cover the john cooney injury. Cronin went in for a try on the left wing because tiernan was missing. So it made a very big difference

And as to what difference it made. At the time tiernan had moved to left wing, Robbie to fullback, peter Robb in the centre and matt to scrum half to cover the john cooney injury. Cronin went in for a try on the left wing because tiernan was missing. So it made a very big difference

That's not the question you were asked. What difference to TOH would stopping the play have made?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

My last post on this issue. I watched the replay closely and it can be clearly seen that Nigel has words with tiernan and is happy that while tiernan was injured he was coherent. So yes their was a difference and I admit being incorrect.

That said as a supporter in the stands all you see is a player splayed out on the ground and play continues. To the supporter this is hugely upsetting to see.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was the disallowed try that Leinster scored when TOH was down, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

sullivlo wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it was the disallowed try that Leinster scored when TOH was down, no?

No that was earlier in the game

Munster built Thomand Park and now can't fill it. Not giving Connacht the same thing shouldn't necessarily be seen as the IRFU favouring someone else. Mistakes were made with Munster. Connacht need a bigger ground but they shouldn't go crazy building huge stadiums and getting into debt. There was a huge swell of support in Munster during the good years and we can see the drop off there now. Connacht's success has obviously attracted a lot of new interest in the team but for every one that has discovered a genuine love of the game there's another one just on the bandwagon.

I agree. The Munster model wasn't the greatest. There was/is a massive rugby following in Munster and its going through a lean period at the moment. I've no doubt they will bounce back and be able to fill Thomand on a regular basis in future.

The sportsground is tiny and needs to double in capacity. Rugby is only really taking off in Connacht and the scope for growth is huge. At the moment the sportsground is limiting Connacht's potential for growth, revenue, catering to fans, the corporate sector, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Some support but nowhere near the support and help to other provinces, eg the Thomond Park loan.

Connacht are way behind in terms of its stadium and by extension ability to compete on salaries.

We will hear the usual guff that Connacht are just a flash in the pan, should be happy with what they have, sportsground is big enough as is, etc etc.

Connacht have created a huge fanbase from this victory, and the young fans in particular will be around for a while. Connacht needs a bigger stadium, whether that's redeveloping the sportsground (most people's preference I'd say) or moving somewhere else.

I accept that Henshaw is centrally contracted so the salary thing isn't too big an issue there. But its keeping non centrally contracted players as well as holding onto existing players long term where the problem might be.

Anyways, all this is for another day. Lets continue to enjoy Connacht's great win! :)
    Connacht/IRFU not owning the Sportsground is why they're behind in terms of stadium.
    Connacht have got considerable support from IRFU. They have been bailed out, got extra support in terms of NIQ players not really allowed for other provinces etc etc etc.
    Connacht don't really need a bigger stadium. They need a better stadium. They need to have better facilities in terms of seating/covered terracing. The numbers attending games don't totally add up to Connacht needing a considerably bigger stadium.

Read the question again. The one you answered isn't what I asked.

Glad you can see that the booing and whistling was wrong. I know I've carried on about this a lot but it really pissed me off. It's something I hate when I watch soccer, especially because the game gets stopped and we all see on the replay that the player was barely touched. Then there is a delay while he gets treated for non-existent injury. It annoys me way more than it should and I don't want to see rugby go down that path. I think rugby has it right at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

100% agree building something with a capacity of 15-20K would be crazy. However a hand from the IRFU in building the 10K stadium that Willie Ruane talked about a few weeks ago, which showed ambition but also seemed very reasonable, would certainly be helpful.

b.gud wrote: »
    100% agree building something with a capacity of 15-20K would be crazy. However a hand from the IRFU in building the 10K stadium that Willie Ruane talked about a few weeks ago, which showed ambition but also seemed very reasonable, would certainly be helpful.

And now would be the time for the IRFU to back it as Connacht are a hot property at the moment. Wait another year and any potential outside investment could be lost or reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Some support but nowhere near the support and help to other provinces, eg the Thomand Park loan.

Just to point out that this statement is incorrect:
    THE IRFU AGM was held in July, 2014 with accounts up to 30th April 2014 revealing that a loan of €10m to the Munster Branch has to be repaid by April 2027. The Thomond Park redevelopment loan of €33.4m is interest free and has no fixed term or repayment. Total loans to Munster are €43.4m.

Munster's loan from the IRFU is €10m, not €43.4m. They have mixed up the Thomond loan with the Lansdowne Rd loan.

Advertisement