Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster V Rugby's Biggest Bandwagon; 28/5/2016 17:30 Murrayfield: SS3 & TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

What a match. Very happy boy today even with the monstrous hangover :D

Thought the back 3 really showed their quality. Healy and TOH I think get more criticism on here than they deserve generally and proved yesterday they can't just put in big performances against minnows. Actually, scratch that, the whole team put in a massive performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    There were weeks and weeks in a row where connacht could have picked a pretty much full strength team from the injured and unavailable list. This was when the likes of Robb, Parata, Blade, O'Brien, Connolly and Delahunt all stepped up. Lots of folks tend to overlook the shocking constant lengthy injury lists from October til March which left us with bare bones and granted we lost a few games but we were still racking up the points alongside that.

And when White was away for the world cup, Finlay Bealham who had been a liability in previous seasons with audible groans when he would come on, really stepped up and made himself undroppable and got himself on the Ireland radar.

This is what should be looked at when considering the Connacht success. They used the squad superbly. The whole squad. James Connollys first start in the pro 12 was against Munster in Thomond and he was already so integrated in the squad he played like a veteran. It shouldn't matter to a team who is unavailable when the entire squad is kept up to speed the whole time. And it could be argued that a leinster just didn't manage their squad as well - which is foolish considering they consistently have to lose players to Ireland. They should always be ready for that eventuality.

I'm going to print this comment and get it framed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

avfc1874 wrote: »
    out of interest what odds were Connacht?
    15/8. need to go collect my winnings tomorrow. body recovery current priority. 30 minutes sleep in 50 hours needs to be corrected :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

WarZ wrote: »
    You're wrong. The more muscle you have the quicker you gas. There are huge benefits in a game like rugby to carrying fat as it gives you extra weight in contact without depleting your oxygen levels like extra muscle mass would.

Thats just incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

WarZ wrote: »
    You're wrong. The more muscle you have the quicker you gas. There are huge benefits in a game like rugby to carrying fat as it gives you extra weight in contact without depleting your oxygen levels like extra muscle mass would.

This is incorrect physiologically. What causes players or athletes to become exhausted is lack of energy from muscle cells. The principal source of energy in humans is glucose which is broken down in the process of cellular respiration in the Krebs cycle or CAC which produces Adenosine Triphospate. Glucose is stored in the muscles and liver as Glycogen. Glucose from glycogen is readily mobilized and is therefore a good source of energy for sudden, strenuous activity. Unlike fatty acids, the released glucose can provide energy in the absence of oxygen and can thus supply energy for anaerobic activity.

The two major sites of glycogen storage are the liver and skeletal muscle. The concentration of glycogen is higher in the liver than in muscle (10% versus 2% by weight), but more glycogen is stored in skeletal muscle overall because of its much greater mass. Glycogen is present in the cytosol in the form of granules ranging in diameter from 10 to 40 nm. In the liver, glycogen synthesis and degradation are regulated to maintain blood-glucose levels as required to meet the needs of the organism as a whole. In contrast, in muscle, these processes are regulated to meet the energy needs of the muscle itself.

More muscle = more storage of glycogen = greater aerobic fitness. Less muscle = quicker exhaustion and faster move towards anaerobic respiration that then causes a build up of the breakdown produces in the muscles causing cramp etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah yeah but marathon runners, eh? Not a pick on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ah yeah but marathon runners, eh? Not a pick on them.

0% muscle 100% fat

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

mansize wrote: »
    Iontach céad leath

Go deimhin! agus an bua !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Right so sufficiently dried out.

Some of my thoughts.

Leinster unlucky with the disallowed Kirchner try. Doubt it would change the game.

I didn't understand why Nigel played on when toh went down after blowing up the game immediately for Kearney until I watched back. Toh made some sorted of response. Was bloody furious at the time but accepted it now

Buckley was sorely sorely missed yesterday. Last loughney was quite good outside the scrum but it was the only method Leinster had of exerting pressure.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

freyners wrote: »
    I didn't understand why Nigel okayed on when toh went down after blowing up the game immediately for Kearney until I watched back. Toh made some sorted of response. Was bloody furious at the time but accepted it now

Yeah, it was clear watching it on TV that Nigel was talking to O'Halloran as he was on the ground and was keeping an eye to see if play was moving away, which it was. It may not have been clear from the stands but surely Nigel is a trusted enough ref that people shouldn't have felt the need to boo it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought TOH moved his foot abit after he fell but Mick K dropped like a bag of spuds.

freyners wrote: »
    Right so sufficiently dried out.

Some of my thoughts.

Leinster unlucky with the disallowed Kirchner try. Doubt it would change the game.

I didn't understand why Nigel okayed on when toh went down after blowing up the game immediately for Kearney until I watched back. Toh made some sorted of response. Was bloody furious at the time but accepted it now

Buckley was sorely sorely missed yesterday. Last loughney was quite good outside the scrum but it was the only method Leinster had of exerting pressure.

I really got upset about this. And yet it was the fault of Nigel Owens on that one. I was really upset with the Leinster players for playing on but in retrospect Owens should have pulled it up. I was in the middle of Leinster fans and I confused the ****e out of them. I applauded what Connacht did and I applauded what leinster did. I shouted go luke as much as I said go niyi. Gave my Connacht flag to two kids from Dublin in front of me, Their parents had no objection, they were loving Connacht as much as I was. And they genuinely were great. I give huge credit to Leinster fans. Nice people. It wasn't easy for them but they were great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Yeah, it was clear watching it on TV that Nigel was talking to O'Halloran as he was on the ground and was keeping an eye to see if play was moving away, which it was. It may not have been clear from the stands but surely Nigel is a trusted enough ref that people shouldn't have felt the need to boo it.
    I was in section W24 and it looked like he dropped stone dead so I can understand it fully.

Emotions were running incredibly high at the time and people were well oiled so it combined into one. It looked like an incredibly inconsistent decision were I was from. Without a ref link none could have known the difference till later

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

congrats Connacht

I remember when the IRFU tried to write off Connacht Rugby

Now if Mayo win the next All Ireland we will be really happy

I really got upset about this. And yet it was the fault of Nigel Owens on that one. I was really upset with the Leinster players for playing on but in retrospect Owens should have pulled it up.

You were upset with Leinster for playing by the rules of the sport? Or you're upset with Owens for calling the medics on, making sure O'Halloran was looked after and all without interrupting the game?

You were upset with Leinster for playing by the rules of the sport?

Elmo (can I call you that :-)) I was incensed by that, not upset. No matter what team, no matter what move, the value of the player over the game matters. Rugby is doing stuff with a ball. It is irrelevant in comparison to the health of a player. If you turn the clock back to the Connacht Glasgow game and the serious injury Finn Russell incurred I worry more for that than getting a try. I was shocked that players can walk around a seriously injured person to put a ball over a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Elmo (can I call you that :-)) I was incensed by that, not upset. No matter what team, no matter what move, the value of the player over the game matters. Rugby is doing stuff with a ball. It is irrelevant in comparison to the health of a player. If you turn the clock back to the Connacht Glasgow game and the serious injury Finn Russell incurred I worry more for that than getting a try. I was shocked that players can walk around a seriously injured person to put a ball over a line.

It happens all the time. This is a non-issue.

It's the referees job to make sure players are looked after in situations like that, not the other players. Nigel saw him go down, checked if he was conscious by talking to him, O'Halloran responded, Nigel kept an eye on the play to make sure they didn't come back on top of O'Halloran and waved the medics on. He got treatment as quickly as he would have if play had been stopped.

The incident with Russell and the other player last week was different as one of them wasn't moving imidiately after it happened, same with Kearney yesterday.

Teferi wrote: »
    It happens all the time. This is a non-issue.
    it does not make it right. if in life you are willing to walk over any body for your own gain then you have missed the point of living.

it does not make it right. if in life you are willing to walk over any body for your own gain then you have missed the point of living.

Nobody walked over O'Halloran though. It sounds like what you're annoyed about is Leinster scored while O'Halloran was out of the game.

• Advertisement

they just walked around a heavily injured player. Lets just ignore. It was shocking and disturbing that a players welfare was meaningless over getting a stupid ball over a stupid line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

they just walked around a heavily injured player. Lets just ignore. It was shocking and disturbing that a players welfare was meaningless over getting a stupid ball over a stupid line

Yeah, you're just scaldy that Leinster scored.

Play goes on when a player gets injured as long as the injured player isn't in any further danger. It's surprising that you only find fault with this when it is Connacht it effects. Maybe if the player hadn't of made a balls of his challenge and conked himself out, it wouldn't have happened.

Again, it's the referees job to decide if play needs to stop. O'Halloran was seen to by the medics imidiately. The only thing that would have happened differently had play been stopped is Leinster wouldn't have scored.

Bundee Aki hit Sexton pretty hard at one point, and Sexton was already carrying a knock at that stage. I suppose Bundee should have put Sexton's personal welfare first there and stepped aside to let him through.

Being in the front row of the scrum seems like hard work, lot of wear and tear on the neck. Probably best if the players have a chat between themselves and decide to go with uncontested scrums after a certain amount of time.

Maybe the entire second half should be touch rugby?

So there I was in murrayfield. And the leinster fans were wondering who I was supporting (well other, than the scarf, the coat, the flag etc... ) I support rugby and not the injury of any player. And while it is a simple the health of players is paramount. These guys serve us entertainment, they do not deserve to be bypassed in what could possibly be a serious condition. I absolutely screamed my heart out in murrayfield as to how it lowers the value of what we perceive. I would do it as much for a Leinster player as I would for a Connacht player. There is a level of respect that simply has been bypassed. Our players should be injured for our entertainment. Never. I support all four provinces and will never accept that a professional player will simply bypass his distressed colleague (no matter from what provincial team)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

So there I was in murrayfield. And the leinster fans were wondering who I was supporting (well other, than the scarf, the coat, the flag etc... ) I support rugby and not the injury of any player. And while it is a simple the health of players is paramount. These guys serve us entertainment, they do not deserve to be bypassed in what could possibly be a serious condition. I absolutely screamed my heart out in murrayfield as to how it lowers the value of what we perceive. I would do it as much for a Leinster player as I would for a Connacht player. There is a level of respect that simply has been bypassed. Our players should be injured for our entertainment. Never. I support all four provinces and will never accept that a professional player will simply bypass his distressed colleague (no matter from what provincial team)

Clearly that didnt happen though. Mick Kearney was motionless, TOH was able to communicate with the ref so the ref played on as play moved away from TOH. It happens numerous times every game. Mitrea stopped the semi final because Finn Russell was out cold. There is a pattern there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's always a danger of abuse if the officials stop the game too much for injuries. I haven't seen it back, but if Owens communicated with TOH then there's no issue. The play should only be stopped if medics are needed urgently or if continued play endangers a prone player.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

There was no play happening near the injured player either. That's generally what refs are looking for, play didn't interfere with medics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

With all due respect I'm sure Nigel Owens is far more au fait with the rules and minutiae of the game than anyone here.

The player wasn't identified as being in immediate danger so play continued- I've seen it in loads of games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Agreed there was nothing wrong with play going on there. Owens clearly checked with the player and then play moved out of the area.

I will admit I was pissed off at the time though. But that is heat of the moment stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Agreed there was nothing wrong with play going on there. Owens clearly checked with the player and then play moved out of the area.

I will admit I was pissed off at the time though. But that is heat of the moment stuff.

In full agreement with this.
    At the time of the incident I was livid. From my viewpoint in the stands, TOH looked out cold. I even heard the noise of the impact it was that bad, so at the time I couldn't understand why play wasn't stopped instantly.

If folks are saying that Nigel verified that Tiernan was conscious and responding, then fair enough to allow play go on.
    However, after what we witnessed last week with Finn Russell in the Sportsground, I was anticipating the worst.

In the end, all was good and TOH was surprisingly back on the field by the end of the game.

I'm sure Leinster fans can understand the heat of the moment reaction and hence the booing from the Connacht fans in the ground who don't have the benefit of a replay and close-up of any interaction between teh ref & TOH.

Advertisement