Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where did you used to holiday when you were little?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Tramore. Every single year for over a decade. Ah, the 80's.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Air travel was not feasible for the majority of family's in the 80,s

Yes, that is true but I would have thought the younger Boardsies would have availed of the cheaper air travel in the 90s and 00s.

Ireland was in a complete mess in the 80s - dirt poor and appalling infrastructure - main roads like goat tracks. Driving from Dublin to Athlone could take well over 2 hours. You can do it in just over an hour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Also Tramore, to my grandad's house. 6 of us in a fiat ritmo- only going from cork but it used to take all day.... We would always stop in Youghal for lunch :)

One year we changed it up and went west to Baltimore. :)

I went to London a couple of times with my mother - to her brother. We'd get Slattery's bus and the ferry from rosslare.

First time on a plane was mid 90's when I was 19.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

We were so poor we just looked at a picture of a caravan in Bundoran for a couple of weeks every summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

In all seriousness over to the aunts in London or usually up around Sligo/Donegal. We would always have cousins over from the states or England so would always have great craic over the summer. Ah life was so much simpler and easier back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

We had a house in Crosshaven for donkeys years so that's where we spent the whole summer every year. It was 13 miles from our front door at home !! As soon as school was finished we'd be all piled into the ould fellas VW minibus, or before that a Ford Anglia Estate, and carted off down there, stopping in Carrigaline for an ice cream every single time.

Usually we could all bring a friend or two (and there were 7 of us!!) so the place would be packed throughout the summer. 7 bedrooms and a few other big rooms so there was plenty of space. Now and again cousins from England and America would arrive as well which was great. It wasn't unusual for 30+ people to be staying in the house.

Half of Cork city used to holiday there so we used to meet loads of people and have a savage time slaughtering mackerel, going to 'the merries' once a week, exploring Camden Fort and doing nothing in particular half of the time. A few of us once robbed a boat - or what I now know to be a punt - because we wanted to row across to the other side of the Harbour to see what was there. Didn't know it was about 2 miles!! We never got there but we were missing for about 5 or 6 hours and got our arses reddened when we got back :P

Happy Days !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Wibbs wrote: »
    There would always be at least one stop before we made it to somewhere like Killarney.

Sure it used to take so long just to drive from Dublin to Gorey that we'd always stop in Jack Whites for food on the way. They did those cheese toasties in the cellophane wrapper where the filling'd give you a third degree burn if you weren't careful. And a few pints with it for my dad before resuming the journey, of course...

We went to Jamaica when I was 11, so 1993 or thereabouts. We had to fly from Shannon so left Dublin the night before and stayed in the Two Mile Inn because the drive took so long, you couldn't realistically do it the day of the flight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Mosney and Tramore, ah them were the days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭JoseWasntReady

Here's one. Do you know the bridge in North Iron?

My dad walked me over it and stopped; then started bouncing for a "joke."

I dropped to my knees. The waves smashing against the rocks! We went for some lunch later. I was shaking like a leaf.

My dad saw my hands shaking when getting some soup and apologised. "You okay?"

There's lads who have cycled the bridge. Lunatics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

California(Twice),Florida 5 times(later went another time when I turned 21), Malta, Crete, Portugal(Twice), Lanzorate, and New York.

I was fortunate to be able to go to these places with my family when I was a kid, my parents never got to go travelling when they were kids. Now they're in their 60's and go on holidays every year while I stay home and work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's lads who have cycled the bridge. Lunatics!

That's the Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge up near the Giants Causeway. I've been across it myself. It certainly is an experience!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    That's the Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge up near the Giants Causeway. I've been across it myself. It certainly is an experience!

Yeah! There's a pub nearby with pictures of lads just scooting it. No hand rails. Some lunatic just cycled it.

I needed hand rails! There's two guys that work there. Helping people cross. Well they helped me get over and then went for dinner.

"Guys?"

Our trip and walk in the North was awesome. My dad is 'difficult' at times but feck it. I'll go walk with ya. It was a heatwave. Mid twenties sun - 25. We walked it.

Awesome view - "are you not tired?" You didn't complain.

Went hard on the club Orange when we got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

My parents had a touring caravan so we covered Ireland, England, Scotland, and even a trip to the South of France once. Despite that we always spent at least 2 weeks (sometimes a month) in Rossnowlagh every year for about 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

ElleEm wrote: »
    Butlins in Pwelli*. Good times!

Edit- *Pwllheli. Feckin Welsh spellings!

Snap. Pwllheli, Blackpool, Cura Cloe, Fedard on Sea, Tramore.

Wibbs wrote: »
    :D I do recall in the 1970's on a "long" trip like that major preparations would be made. The da would be out the previous day checking the car over, checking the spark plugs, the points and checking tyre pressures, while trying to teach me about such things.

Then the big day would come and off we'd trundle on main roads that would be like back roads today. There would always be at least one stop before we made it to somewhere like Killarney. A couple of hours in and about mid way pull off into a lay-by where the primus stove would come out and teas would be made laid out on a tartan rug. To stretch legs and let the poor car recover like. :pac: Driving speeds were lower that's for sure, at least average speeds. Doing 60 MPH was whoooooah! :eek:. For most 1970's cars if your speedo was showing 90 MPH it was likely you'd just driven off the cliffs of Moher.

You should write a book.

The car 'journey' was part of the holiday. My ould fella is from Caaark. Has the accent too, bai. Long drive from Dublin. Anyway, he was kinda 'embarrassed' to be from a small town. He was from a tiny town in Cork. Worked in finance in Dublin.

One Friday he scooped me up and we headed to Caaark for the weekend. "We'll get there by eight". Made great time until we hit Douglas. Hit West Cork and some roads were closed. A big bowls match was on. "Arra for christ" - da, can we watch?

Some craic. Go all quiet when the local "big hitter" shows up for his throw. Especially for the Dublin kid. Mobile chipper fans on the go and ****. Awesome.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yes, that is true but I would have thought the younger Boardsies would have availed of the cheaper air travel in the 90s and 00s.

Ireland was in a complete mess in the 80s - dirt poor and appalling infrastructure - main roads like goat tracks. Driving from Dublin to Athlone could take well over 2 hours. You can do it in just over an hour now.

There's a pub in Tramore called The Ritz. My granny thinks she's had lunch in the ritz. "Well, we had seafood and it was nice." Gran, it's a local pub.

Feck it. That rollercoaster though. Probably the best rollercoaster in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Honourable mention for Clogherhead. Went in the friends caravan a few times. From what I remember its like the caravan park in Father Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Kilkee every summer for about 3 weeks in my granny's mobile home. Loved it then and still love it now, when we grew up and moved out my parents finally had some money and bought a house down there. I'm down there every chance I get. The cliff walk is amazing, takes my breath everytime.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Aunties farm in Limerick

grandfathers creepy old house in Limerick

We thought it was brilliant

Talk with the lads.

Any chance of a game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Forgot about a few day trips to Holyhead on the boat!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Forgot about a few day trips to Holyhead on the boat!

Are you buying some lunch?

😃

We never once had a foreign holiday for a very obvious reason as you'll see. It alternated between the Iveragh Peninsula in Kerry, Conamara and Port na Bláth in Donegal. We would always rent a big house as there were loads of us. In one year, 1979, 17 of us and the dog Rocky (yes, guess what film was popular!) got into a Granada Ghia estate and travelled to Donegal. 17! That would be some sort of crime against humanity in these seatbelt days. Crossing the border the British Army were everywhere and when they stopped us one of them looked in the back and said "oi, the kitchen sink". Every time that Donegal holiday gets a mention my Mam giggles her way through recounting that story.

Jesus, we Irish had families in those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭CFlat

We never once had a foreign holiday for a very obvious reason as you'll see. It alternated between the Iveragh Peninsula in Kerry, Conamara and Port na Bláth in Donegal. We would always rent a big house as there were loads of us. In one year, 1979, 17 of us and the dog Rocky (yes, guess what film was popular!) got into a Granada Ghia estate and travelled to Donegal. 17! That would be some sort of crime against humanity in these seatbelt days. Crossing the border the British Army were everywhere and when they stopped us one of them looked in the back and said "oi, the kitchen sink". Every time that Donegal holiday gets a mention my Mam giggles her way through recounting that story.

Jesus, we Irish had families in those days!

Ye must have been fierce posh!! A Granada Ghia Estate, that was some piece of equipment back in the 70s and an absolute monster of a car.

Reminds me though there was only 7 of us but at one stage we had a VW Beetle! Mum and dad in the front, 3 eldest in the back seat and in a tiny compartment behind the back seat, two of us squeezed into. Mad stuff altogether and not seat belt in sight. Mind you, it probably didn't go any faster then 50MPH.

Oh and the reason why families were so big back then was the lack of contraception and/or religious beliefs.....and the failed rhythm method!!

Have a bang.

Yikes. Nearly in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

armaghlad wrote: »
    Honourable mention for Clogherhead. Went in the friends caravan a few times. From what I remember its like the caravan park in Father Ted

you think that was bad? We lived in one of those caravans for 6 months while waiting for our new house to be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Bognor Regis. I remember my sister winning a goldfish and naming it Fresh Fish Daly after a sign at a nearby chip shop.

esforum wrote: »
    you think that was bad? We lived in one of those caravans for 6 months while waiting for our new house to be built.

Ah now, Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 JJ10

Hey guys has anyone experienced the new tours from Good Food Ireland? The look pretty high quality and I was thinking of recommending to an uncle of mine in the UK if he wanted a nice break. Just wondering did anyone else know about them or experienced them? thanks

Advertisement