Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where did you used to holiday when you were little?

Options
  • 26-04-2016 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭

when you were a nipper at school going age where did you used to holiday in the summer holidays - did you holiday in Ireland, or go abroad like on the continent, ....... or did you holiday in Trabolgan LOL :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Cancun.
    My parents were drug mules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

My cousins house 5 miles away

This was the late 90s :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Nowhere, I was in hiding as my father had kidnapped me and we were in hiding for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Camping in Wales once, but generally no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Bundoran, Rosnowlagh, Up around the North Coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Barleycove in west Cork, I have very happy child hood memories of swimming in the sea while the hailstones pelted down around us!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rush, Dollymount, Skerries, Howth, Portrane, Donabate. All the usual northside places. Mostly it was on the 16 bus route, i.e. outside the front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We never went abroad as a family though I was lucky to have rich unmarried aunts who took me with them a couple of times. We usually went camping in Cork or Kerry, mostly Glengarriff. Love that part of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Butlins in Pwelli*. Good times!

Edit- *Pwllheli. Feckin Welsh spellings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Inchydony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Westport, Westport, Westport. I used to hate it as a kid.

I bloody love the place now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Camping in Wales once
    sorry for your trouble :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Butlins where the Asylum Seekers are now, lucky fekkers. It was ace. And less than an hour from our hall door, but a whole world away. And a HUGE swimming pool, and when we went to the pictures a voice would call out to "cabin number 8...etc. you child is crying" Totally ignored as far as I can remember!

And a farmhouse in West Cork near Beal na Blath. Us kids were in the attic and it was TINY.

The Farmer and his missus were amazing, showed us all the animals, and milked the cows for us kids from the smoke we were agog.

We had such a lovely childhood really when I think about it. Must have driven the Ma and Da mad all the same, but it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Courtown, Blackpool.

When I was old enough and going away with my OH my parents started bringing my little brother to Spain and Florida, f*ckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Enniscrone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Holidays? Holidays????

When I was wee there was no such thing as holidays. We were damn glad to get a day in school because it meant a day off work.

That's whats wrong with society today, kids hardly in this world a wet week swanning about on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lough Key Forest Park. Six kids, two parents and a dog in a four-berth caravan. Needless to say we got creative with tents and the boot of the estate car :eek:

Best crack EVER.

Can't have been much of a holiday for our poor mother, though......

ETA - oh, and Enniscrone featured occasionally as well - that's where I saw my first colour telly, in Tom's Top Ten :D They had the colour turned up to the last, and the newsreader (Maurice O'Doherty, possibly) looked like he was about to have a coronary :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Lough Key Forest Park....

very nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Sneem, my friends uncle had a few houses down there.

Used to go to Rhyl as well, it's a right ****hole now though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Butlins where the Asylum Seekers are now, lucky fekkers. It was ace. And less than an hour from our hall door, but a whole world away. And a HUGE swimming pool, and when we went to the pictures a voice would call out to "cabin number 8...etc. you child is crying" Totally ignored as far as I can remember!

Was in Mosney(a) a few times. Main memory is the glass windows between the restaurant/swimming pool which resulted in groups of kids mooning the people in the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Newcastle Co.Down, (one Aunt)
    Millisle Co.Down (another Aunt)

Enniscrone once or twice (b&b)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Packed off to the cousins in various parts of the country, then they would come to visit us in return.

I'm from a farming background - some of them loved being on the farm, but some of them were horrified by the conditions, bloody townies! :)

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Was in Mosney(a) a few times. Main memory is the glass windows between the restaurant/swimming pool which resulted in groups of kids mooning the people in the queue.

ah yeah - Butlins was in Mosney wasnt it.
    I holidayed in Butlins holiday camp in UK in Clacton on Sea every summer , loved it.... its a housing estate there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Another Barley cove West cork here. Every summer with a tailor tent. It used to take hours upon hours to get there. But such happy memories there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

As a kid our family had one family holiday for two weeks and another for one week touring around the country when my fathers brother who was a missionary priest visited home. Other than that our family never went on holiday in over 20 yrs and my parents never went abroad as my father was afraid of flying and would not cope with "foreign" food etc. He was self employed and preferred to stay at home making money.....

Since I got married 20 yrs ago there hasn't been a year we haven't been abroad sometimes twice a year and also around Ireland at other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

AN IRISH HOLIDAY, ARE YOU ****ING JOKING ME. WHEN I WAS YOUNG AN IRISH HOLIDAY MEANT YOUR FATHER HIT YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH THE CHAIR, INSTEAD OF THE TABLE*

*May or may not be true.

We went to.... lladuno? Wales I think. I dunno. They were all bad and involved me getting beaten by my dad for being bad, so I've blocked those memories out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Aaah the Clare Inn. Loved it! Bunratty, the Burren, spin to lahinch. Same every summer but great memories

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Courtown and Salthill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was really lucky, especially for a kid in the 70's and early 80's. It was very unusual among my peers. We travelled all over Ireland, Kerry, West Cork, Donegal and Mayo, but also to many places in Europe; the UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Holland and further afield to Morocco, the Bahamas, New York, and Florida. As I said I was very lucky to have those childhood opportunities and cherish the memories. Especially when I had occasion to revisit some of the same places decades later and saw the changes. My faves were and are France and Spain, with Italy coming in behind.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Offaly due to relatives.

Advertisement