Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where did you used to holiday when you were little?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Nowhere. The odd day trip to Ballybunion and that was it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

smash wrote: »
    "Ever seen a grown man naked?"
    :D
    It's a shame that kids these days wont get to experience the stuff that us lot did!
    True enough. *old guy voice* kids these days(™) have so much at the fingertips and part of me envies them for that, but another larger part feels bad that so many are curtailed by more current fears and lifestyles. I was watching a programme on the BBC recently where they got this London family and redid their house and clothes and lifestyle into the decades of the 20th century. What I and the kids in the family noticed was that in the 70's and 80's the kids had or seemed to have so much more freedom and were outside and getting into mischief far more. At one point the voiceover dude mentioned a stat that claimed in the UK something mad like 80% of ten year old kids had never been to a park without their parents or other adults in tow. OK that was the UK and no doubt as is usual we're way behind that curve here in Ireland but it did sadden me.

One memory that has been conjured up by this thread concerns a holiday in Florida and a touristy helicopter tour of the Keys. I got chatting with the pilot fella before and during the lunch that was in the middle of the tour and was more into the helicopter, a Huey(hell yes!:)), than the sightseeing. The way back was by coach, but the pilot asked if I wanted to go back with him and my folks were ok with that. :eek: :) I sat up front and he let me hold the cyclic and "fly" the helicopter. Oh yes. I flew a Huey. Me -> :cool: He was on the controls of course, but he let me make small corrections. What freaked me out was how both sensitive it was and how much of a delay between input and reaction there appeared to be(and how delicate a craft they are. Much less substantial than a family car). He was a really lovely guy, going through all the techy stuff and spinning me tall tales that had my eyes out on stalks. When we were back on terra firma I was still flying from it all. :D It was only much later on and even down to today when one comment he made hit me; "I used to have a son about your age".

KERSPLAT! wrote:
    Those were the days! Is it just me or did it seem like we had scorching hot summers back then (Mid nineties)!?
    The mid nineties were pretty warm alright K, I went fishing in the Connacht lakes back then and a couple of times in summer the edges of the loughs had receded. So it's not just you. :) Though old farts like me have you beat. The 1970's had some of the highest summer temps ever recorded in these islands. 1976 was mad. I remember being dragged up to Blessington reservoir just outside Dublin, because the water levels had dropped so much that some holy well in a submerged village had risen up from artificial deep. I can vividly recall a long snaking line of people marching towards the object of their devotion in an otherwise empty and sandy landscape set against the green trees of the more usual waterline. I've since wondered why they queued.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

First holiday was Amsterdam when I was a few months old. Went to various Europeon countries as a child, a lot of these were with my Dad's work though. After the age of 8 went to France every summer, Easter and Christmas. My Dad and his family lived (and still live) there. Hated it towards my teen years!

Due to all these summers in France I haven't really been to many places in Ireland. Really need to check out the country a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭JoseWasntReady

I went to Portugal when I was three. A new (and cheap) apartment development in the Algarve. Full of Brits on a cheap package holiday too. My ma bought me a cap gun and I thought it the best thing ever. Some asshole grabbed it off me and threw it towards an area that was practically a construction site. I went in after it and before I was found, my ma was seconds away from calling me in missing. Thought I was missing and my older sisters were to blame. I just wanted my damn toy.

Didn't find the cap gun.

My grandparents are from Kilbritain in West Cork. Beautiful place. Not a lot to do if you're a kid. Spent an awful lot of summers there as a kid? Ever look forward to a fecking game of bowls as the highlight of your holiday. At least the chips from the mobile chipper vans were good!

My maternal grandmother was from Bansha in Tipperary. They've a community centre but not a lot else but pubs. There were a group of kids playing football outside and me and my sisters if there were any games? "Where you from?" Yeah, they didn't like Dubs much. Spent many a summer "holiday" there too.

We went to Antrim and stayed near the Giants Causeway when I was about ten. The hotel 'forgot' our booking. Causeway Coast hotel? I was around ten and it was just before the GFA was signed. I remember my step dad being so pissed off and them acting the idiot. I think he paid a deposit through an agent and then I felt so bad taking a pound sterling with my sisters to play the arcade games and snooker in the computer room!

We ended up staying in self catering apartments and the manager gave us a free meal. I remember my mam saying that we are obviously not wanted here and that we should just leave. That was scary to me as a kid.

My aunt married a guy from Mauritius when I was sixteen. My ma started off in payroll but by then she progressed a bit to management so could afford to bring us. I'd a part time job too. Best holiday ever. An absolutely stunning part of the world. They say that the Irish do hospitality well? Nothing compared to the Mauritius lads. Spectacular country and people.

We were there for two weeks and near the end we visited a water park. I decided that I didn't need any more cream (factor 50) and it was time to get a tan. Spent about ten hours in and out of the water park with no suncream.

Eight hours later - feck. I blistered up bad and had to wear bandages on my shoulders and upper back. I was brought to hospital the next morning. Third degree burns from the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Leitrim, Ireland. I lived in Scotland 27 and moved over here when my parents retired and they moved back to Ireland.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Didn't - too poor. Hated hearing the stories from the kids about all their summer holidays...

Mam did bring us swimming a lot, which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Sunshine house in balbriggan for a week with the whole estate.

Anyone who went there as a kid had an amazing childhood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

France, France and more France...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Caravan park on Achill Island. I had relatives that lived up there so our family and my cousins family used to go up there for 2 weeks a year.

Also went on a big camping holiday over to France and Holland when I was about 8. I have quite a few relatives abroad, so most holidays were visiting them

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Tramore and Trabolgan :p simpler times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Granny's house in Roscommon

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A bit surprised more Boardsies didn't holiday abroad in their childhood. Or perhaps those that did don't want to post in case they come across as boasting.

Just curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

tl/dr OP answer your own question.

I'm still little, btw. When I was smaller, I went where I was taken. Glad they took me back. No photos, just memories. Those were the years.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

British Isles - Ireland, Wales, Scotland and to relatives in England. There was an awful lot of rain involved.

But Scotland in particular was gorgeous and even at shrimp-age I really liked it. Don't remember a great deal about it, but I do recall standing at the bottom of the garden of the house we were staying in - hey, that must have been where my Nana walked into the glass sliding door and Mum put a big taped X on it so the glass was visible - er..standing at the bottom of the garden where there was a little stile down onto the beach. Those two memories are about all I have of it, the stile and the X in white masking tape :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

JupiterKid wrote: »
    A bit surprised more Boardsies didn't holiday abroad in their childhood. Or perhaps those that did don't want to post in case they come across as boasting.

Just curious...

Air travel was not feasible for the majority of family's in the 80,s

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That would be the truth of it alright. As I said I traveled a lot for someone of my age back then compared to my peers and my peers like me were suburban "middle class" private school types. Not close to wealthy, but not struggling either. My folks just had a thing about travel, so focused and saved up for it. EG they never bought brand new cars for a start(many of my peers parents did) and even back then the savings on a three year old used car over new were enough to pay for a couple of foreign holidays. My mam also worked when back then many, if not most of my peers mams didn't, so that added to the pot.

If anything I'd say slightly more seemed to travel abroad in the 70's. There was a little more money about. Package holidays to Lourdes for the first week and Spain for the second were a thing for a time. Coming back carrying plastic sombrero'd donkeys and our Lady of Lourdes shaped water bottles.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In 1982 Dublin/Paris return was something like 300 Punts.
    In 1982, 120 Punts would have been a good weeks wage.

So in todays money, that puts a return to Paris about 1000 Euro. And there were no alternative airlines, only Aer Fungus.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Absoutely. I was 19 before I got on a plane, that was my first time out of the country. As a kid, my holidays consisted of going for a week to my Aunties house. twas about 3 or 4 miles away form home. great memories, but then again, summers were way better in the 80's :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Fethard-on-Sea. Wexford.
    Mosney (fantastic)

@17 - off with the lads to Ibiza for 2 weeks. I still remember it like it was yesterday. Never have (or am likely to) experience anything like it in this existence again. I cried like a baby on the coach from the apartments back to the airport.

I wanted to stay on as a holiday rep. I think every 17yr old wanted to be a rep at some point back then. Great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Used to go camping in Roundstone as a kid, the folks would hitch a tent to the back of the car and drive the 6 hours down there for a fortnight every year. Great fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

What about ferries?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

esforum wrote: »
    What about ferries?

By the time you got to Spain, it would be time to turn around and sail home.....

Plus ferries weren't that cheap either. Sure they were cheaper than flying, but taking the family and the car and then the costs of driving etc. Not so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Spain a few times, France twice-mobile homes are so much fun when you're young, once in Aberystwyth in Wales and plenty of times in Lahinch, which remains brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Salthill and Galway city in lovely student houses with multicolored carpet and curtains that would give me a headache..My family of 7 and all my 5 cousins and 2 more from Dublin would stay too so 14 in a 3 bed house!!

won a Mosney holiday on the radio too best holiday of my life :D:D:D:D:D:D (got me first shift :):))

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Holidays for us were spent in Belfast (with family) or Rossnowlagh. I've seen how Belfast has changed over the years and how different things are now, it's great. I well remember all the army checkpoints, customs, soldiers with guns etc.

I think I was about 12 before I had my first holiday abroad - we took a ferry to France cause my dad was afraid of flying. (He was 53 the first time he was ever on a plane!!!)

I myself was about 20 before I had my first week in the sun/package holiday - went to Cancun for 2 weeks! haha It was right after Sept 11th so it was like a ghost town....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Every second year to Sicily to see my da's family, every other year Mosney.

(I preferred Sicily :D)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

My dad is a builder so we'd go on day trips during his two weeks off in the summer. A day in Tramore, a day in Tralee, a day in Bunratty, sometimes a day in Dublin. One time we spent a couple of days in Kilkee so that was a real treat! When I was about 13 we got the ferry to Wales and went to Oakwood for the day, loved it!

The first time I was on a plane was when I was fifteen, for our school tour to Paris & Switzerland. My godson turned 1 a couple of weeks ago and last night he's been on his 28th flight! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We went nowhere on holidays as children, we would have a great time on our farm and then over on the uncle's farm helping him, and we would stay the odd time for a few days but it was not really a holiday.
    Living on a farm was great fun for a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

RobertKK wrote: »
    We went nowhere on holidays as children, we would have a great time on our farm and then over on the uncle's farm helping him, and we would stay the odd time for a few days but it was not really a holiday.
    Living on a farm was great fun for a child.

I can imagine, plus all those dogs that come to live with you, was my dog happy out there? My Dad says he was ...

Advertisement