Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where did you used to holiday when you were little?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Never abroad anyway. Never a hotel or b&b neither but we camped in just about every county in the Republic I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus ferries weren't that cheap either. Sure they were cheaper than flying, but taking the family and the car and then the costs of driving etc. Not so cheap.

granted but not a fortune either, you could stay in Northern France and still be 'abroad'
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    By the time you got to Spain, it would be time to turn around and sail home.....

well thats possible true but France is still abroad and very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We used to go to France for 3 weeks every year. I loved it. We'd go over on the ferry and stay in a mobile home or a tent. The excitement when the campsite brochure would arrive every year was amazing. The car would be absolutely packed with enough stuff to get us through a few months and 3 of us would be crammed into the back seat amongst it. I loved the ferry and the long drive in the sun to the campsite and the pool and the kids club and being sent down to the bakery early for croissants and bread. (And sometimes being sent to the pool early to beat the Germans to the sun loungers!) It's a wonderful holiday for kids and we were very lucky be able to experience it. If we had kids I'd definitely go on that type of holiday at least once. My husband is not a mobile home person so even once would take some convincing and I like variety so going every year wouldn't be for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    In 1982 Dublin/Paris return was something like 300 Punts.
    In 1982, 120 Punts would have been a good weeks wage.

So in todays money, that puts a return to Paris about 1000 Euro. And there were no alternative airlines, only Aer Fungus.

Not quite little, but I remember things being a LOT more relaxed about foreign travel when I was a teen. You never considered the possibility of being kidnapped by terrorists or anything...

I remember going on a French exchange one summer and there was literally no security in some tiny airport.

Plane touched down, walked off.. Met host family - immediate picnic involving tons of wine, pate, cheese.

Several weeks of tearing around a french town, lots of wine and other things..., and swimming in the Dordogne, going to night clubs, being involved in a strike (long story) and somehow I came back wreaking of wine, cologne having almost completely forgotten how to speak English and pining after various romantic flings.

Bagged an A1 in the leaving for French tho.

Best way of learning a language though - proper total immersion.
    They didn't even police check the host family, they were great craic though and nothing happened to any of us.

All wrapped in cotton wool these days. No way you'd just dump your teens in the remote countryside in France with total strangers lol

Mobiles weren't even that common then, best we had was a Telecarte (CallCard) to phone home like twice for about 5 mins to tell them you were still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

We used to go to France for 3 weeks every year. I loved it. We'd go over on the ferry and stay in a mobile home or a tent. The excitement when the campsite brochure would arrive every year was amazing. The car would be absolutely packed with enough stuff to get us through a few months and 3 of us would be crammed into the back seat amongst it. I loved the ferry and the long drive in the sun to the campsite and the pool and the kids club and being sent down to the bakery early for croissants and bread. (And sometimes being sent to the pool early to beat the Germans to the sun loungers!) It's a wonderful holiday for kids and we were very lucky be able to experience it. If we had kids I'd definitely go on that type of holiday at least once. My husband is not a mobile home person so even once would take some convincing and I like variety so going every year wouldn't be for me.

Feckin Germans :rolleyes: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

Duncannon or Rosslare in County Wexford. The odd time I'd be shipped off to the aunt in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Feckin Germans :rolleyes: :p

It's funny, it was always 'Oh the Germans have taken all the sun loungers' but sure none of us spoke German so we had no idea where these people were from. But it was always 'the Germans'. They were probably cursing us on the days we got there first. All part of the fun of that type of holiday as a kid, but you couldn't pay me enough as an adult to get out of bed early to get a sun lounger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I remember doing that for the mother and my aunties. Running down the stairs with about 7 towels taking up half the sun beds at 7am, we wouldn't get down till about 1. I hate people like me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Suppose I was very very lucky. Camping in France and camping around Cork and Kerry. Later on Spain, Scotland and Turkey. Wasn't so little in Turkey though.

Edit: @Toto: Wow, the nostalgia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

I grew up in the 70s and 80s and we had a boat on the Shannon so that was an excuse for my dad not to bring us on sun holidays! In truth he probably couldn't have afforded it anyway. It wasn't posh by any means, just an old 30 footer wooden boat that on many occasions wouldn't start! I remember spending many's the holiday sitting in the same marina waiting for a mechanic to arrive while my dad sat in the pub! I sh1t you not. On the upside I did catch a lot of perch though.

I'm surprised more people here didn't holiday as some stage on the Shannon. It's such a huge part of our country when you think about it.

I did spend time in Mosney too but that was for the Olympic Community Games in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We always used to go to a caravan park in Lettergesh, aunt used to own a caravan there that got tattier every year. The problem is all the relations used to have the same idea, so the cousins could turn up a few days into the trip and there would be ten or more people crammed into the caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I never went on a holiday as a child, we never had any money. Went to the beach on Sundays if it was sunny and got Ice Cream.. So still had it better than some:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

The only time I ever flew as a kid was in the station wagon, not to France. We had to go to Aunt Laura and Uncle Arthur's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭brevity

We was very lucky with regards to summer holidays. We travelled to Portugal, Turkey, Cyprus, Mallorca, Florida and a few other places. My parents worked so hard to be able to bring us there and I certainly knew it at the time.

Have great memories of playing pool with randomers and my mum and dad freaking out that the travellers cheques where stolen when there were safely hidden in the saucepan.

Hopefully I'll be able to do the same with my own family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

We went on holiday to Burnham on Sea (small place near Weston Super Mare), Walton on the Naze (small place near Clacton) and Hemsby (small place near Great Yarmouth). Usually in a caravan, tent or chalet. Loved those holidays, still drag the kids over to Hemsby every year. There's a lot to be said for traditional seaside holidays, just takes a good while longer for us to get to Norfolk from Ireland.

Never went abroad, but as others have said, we were lucky, that being pretty skint for most of the year, my folks always managed to get us to the seaside virtually every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Donegal mostly (Fanad). Though went to Kerry (Dingle) meeting Fungi and another time two weeks in Cork (Schull) which we had to cut short because in the second week in Trabolgan some reprobate had pooed in the pool.

Foreign holidays included Majorca, Portugal and Gran Caneria. Gran Caneria will always bring fond memories of the German girls who swam in the pool topless - the first time I saw a pair in the flesh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Aunties farm in Limerick

grandfathers creepy old house in Limerick

We thought it was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My mam had a thing about travelling when I was a kid- we barely had a penny but she sweated to get us decent holidays every 2 years or so.

Went to Majorca, Italy and Florida/NYC.

Usually punctuated with a trip to my family in leafy Buckinghamshire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

awful lot of peeps on here went camping or caravanning - surprising that ...

Would have thought more common in pre 90s than flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Grew up in the late 90s early 00s and we had some great holidays, my parents loved taking us away. Majorca, Tenerife, various towns/cities in Spain, Boston, and city breaks in Paris, Rome, Madrid, London etc. We used to get over to England most years to visit grandparents, and we usually got a few days in Rosslare too.

We were definitely lucky to get to do all that, but when I was growing up most people we knew were doing the same. The advent of Ryanair was to thank for quite a few of the more recent trips.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Grew up in the late 90s early 00s and we had some great holidays, my parents loved taking us away. Majorca, Tenerife, various towns/cities in Spain, Boston, and city breaks in Paris, Rome, Madrid, London etc. We used to get over to England most years to visit grandparents, and we usually got a few days in Rosslare too.

We were definitely lucky to get to do all that, but when I was growing up most people we knew were doing the same. The advent of Ryanair was to thank for quite a few of those trips.

Was ryanair cheap in the mid to late 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

bigpink wrote: »
    Was ryanair cheap in the mid to late 90s

No idea, I was referring more to the last 10 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Tended to go on day or weekend trips mainly in my home county during the summers when I were younger otherwise day trips or weekend trips to the cities in Ireland. Never really went abroad to France/Spain/USA until I was a teenager/Young Adult with the exception of going to the UK before I hit my teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

are you my sister? that was the exact same in our house. picking out your favourite sites, we got to pick 5 each.

then stuck in a backseat with pillows and sleeping bags everywhere (and crates of booze on the way back).

one went for bread, the other did the washing up and ify after 2 days you had no mates, your mam would go and talk to their parents for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Hooked

Kilkee, Co. Clare. Ballyheigue and Ballybunion in Kerry. House rentals and Caravans. Good times.

My parents went on the first foreign holiday (Majorca) with my youngest 2 brothers when I was in my late teens. Me and the next brother at home.

She started crying the first night... Dad asked what was wrong... She said 'we never got to take (me and my eldest bro) away like this. Bless her!

We hadn't much growing up... But our parents gave us all they had. Means the world to me now, looking back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Kerry and day trips to Mosney for me growing up. But it was brilliant! I remember the drive to Kerry (where my granny lived) with myself and our dog in the backseat and me asking "Are we there yet?" for five hours. Couldn't wait to arrive, but it's a miracle I wasn't abandoned some way through the first trip..

And those big mushrooms in the swimming pool in Mosney.

Like a lot of others, we didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up. But I had two amazing parents for sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

JupiterKid wrote: »
    A bit surprised more Boardsies didn't holiday abroad in their childhood. Or perhaps those that did don't want to post in case they come across as boasting.

Just curious...

First trip abroad for me was when I was 16, and even then it was only on a car ferry to Liverpool. My first flight was in an army chopper after I joined up at 17.
    Air travel was not feasible for the majority of family's in the 80,s

Or 60s or 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭JoseWasntReady

My godmother has a mobile gaff in Lahinch. Stunning part of the world. She's one of those godparents that never forgets your birthday and stuffs the card with a fifty.

I'm in my twenties.

We hung out last summer. Seafood, corn on the cob drenched in Kerrygold; awesome trip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Xaracatz wrote: »
    Kerry and day trips to Mosney for me growing up. But it was brilliant! I remember the drive to Kerry (where my granny lived) with myself and our dog in the backseat and me asking "Are we there yet?" for five hours. Couldn't wait to arrive, but it's a miracle I wasn't abandoned some way through the first trip..
    :D I do recall in the 1970's on a "long" trip like that major preparations would be made. The da would be out the previous day checking the car over, checking the spark plugs, the points and checking tyre pressures, while trying to teach me about such things.

Then the big day would come and off we'd trundle on main roads that would be like back roads today. There would always be at least one stop before we made it to somewhere like Killarney. A couple of hours in and about mid way pull off into a lay-by where the primus stove would come out and teas would be made laid out on a tartan rug. To stretch legs and let the poor car recover like. :pac: Driving speeds were lower that's for sure, at least average speeds. Doing 60 MPH was whoooooah! :eek:. For most 1970's cars if your speedo was showing 90 MPH it was likely you'd just driven off the cliffs of Moher.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Wibbs wrote: »
    :D I do recall in the 1970's on a "long" trip like that major preparations would be made. The da would be out the previous day checking the car over, checking the spark plugs, the points and checking tyre pressures, while trying to teach me about such things.

Then the big day would come and off we'd trundle on main roads that would be like back roads today. There would always be at least one stop before we made it to somewhere like Killarney. A couple of hours in and about mid way pull off into a lay-by where the primus stove would come out and teas would be made laid out on a tartan rug. To stretch legs and let the poor car recover like. :pac: Driving speeds were lower that's for sure, at least average speeds. Doing 60 MPH was whoooooah! :eek:. For most 1970's cars if your speedo was showing 90 MPH it was likely you'd just driven off the cliffs of Moher.

Ah - would ya quit. :D

I wasn't privy to the spark plugs and the type pressure, but I was, one year, given a lurid green plastic picnic toolkit containing lurid green plastic cutlery and lurid green plastic delph. Spent some time on the journey deciding who should get which plate for our corn beef sandwiches.

Good times.

Advertisement