Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnancy Bargains Alert Thread

• 12-04-2016 4:09pm
    Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭

At the request of a regular, here is your own Bargains Alert thread for you to discuss pregnancy related bargains. Feel free to share your pregnancy hacks that saved you a few quid too.

For Infant & Toddler bargains, please post here.

Let the quest for bras and the perfect pair of maternity trousers begin!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Super!!!! I'll post the few I found earlier!! Thanks :)

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'll put my best ever pregnancy hack in here:

In mothercare the sales assistant told me that these for a mere €17 was a lot less expensive than a whole new wardrobe.

As if.

I used a ponytail band instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pricklefingers

Aldi baby event starting next Thursday 21st April - some handy bargains to be had!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Always thought something like this thread would be useful. Here: is a link to the Aldi baby stuff on sale Thursday.

I found Amazon cheapest for the Madela Swing @ €125 approx- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medela-Swing-Electric-breast-Calma/dp/B000LPZTQY

Cheapest in store I found was in Mamas and Papas as it is on sale at the moment for €140 - http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-medela-swing-2phase-electric-breast-pump-with-calma/874900000/type-i/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

50% sale on in Mothercare at the moment http://www.mothercare.ie/sale - I got some great maternity clothes bargains.

Up to 60% off in New Look. Got a few cute t-shirts for less than €5 and a couple of dresses that will do over the summer for less than €10

And free shipping if you spend €65

http://www.newlook.com/eu/shop/sale/maternity-sale_1550032?intcam=INT-2016-17-WK4-SALE-Bck-006

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

stickybean wrote: »
    Up to 60% off in New Look. Got a few cute t-shirts for less than €5 and a couple of dresses that will do over the summer for less than €10

http://www.newlook.com/eu/shop/sale/maternity-sale_1550032?intcam=INT-2016-17-WK4-SALE-Bck-006

Great, thanks for that! I'll be on later, I need a few tops, so will get them while they are cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Oh boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Not a bargain but a search for one :D Has anyone seen any navy maternity leggings anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Astilbe

The Boots Baby Event starts today until 24th May. You can also sign up for their Parenting Club where you get 10 points for every euro spent on Mother & Baby products (normally 4 points per euro with Advantage Card).

RE leggings- Penneys have some high-waisted leggings which are cheap and are pretty good! The waistband is similar to an 'underbump' fit and the elastic doesn't cut into you. They were secure enough to get me through yoga last night so would recommend!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Roesy wrote: »
    Not a bargain but a search for one :D Has anyone seen any navy maternity leggings anywhere?

Debenhams have some. They are on sale too! http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_119020883143_-1

Here is the link for the maternity wear sale in Debenhams http://www.debenhams.ie/sale/women/maternity-clothing

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Recommend joining the Boots parenting club and then downloading the Boots app. There is some good offers on there including 25% any breast pump in store some of which are already on offer.

My order came today, that's me dressed for future expansion :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Anyone putting a hospital bag together boots have a few good offers on at the moment!

3 for 2 on maternity pads and breast pads

3 for 2 on all their mini travel toiletries range (shower gel, toothpaste, body moisturisers, shampoos etc)

Lansinoh- lanolin nipple cream is usually €14.99, currently €7.49! (Bargain)

Newborn pampers 22 pack are two for €7.50 also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Digs wrote: »
    Newborn pampers 22 pack are two for €7.50 also

Nice bit of paddy tax there - the same deal as part of the baby event is 2 for £5 here! I've been stocking up because my son is going through a crazy amount of size 2's...

Nice bit of paddy tax there - the same deal as part of the baby event is 2 for £5 here! I've been stocking up because my son is going through a crazy amount of size 2's...

Yeah we always get the raw end of the deal here, £5 to €7.50 is pretty good imo!

I worked in a shoe shop during college, the shoes came from the UK priced in sterling and we used an "exchange" rate sheet to convert the price to euro and stick a sticker over the sterling price. It was scandalous the mark up, actual daylight robbery and had no logic behind it.

I also saw on fb this morning a pic that's gone viral. A bottle of prosecco in tesco Scotland is £5.99 whereas the same bottle in ROI is €17.50!!!!! I draw the line at messing with prosecco :D

Yeah we always get the raw end of the deal here, £5 to €7.50 is pretty good imo!

I worked in a shoe shop during college, the shoes came from the UK priced in sterling and we used an "exchange" rate sheet to convert the price to euro and stick a sticker over the sterling price. It was scandalous the mark up, actual daylight robbery and had no logic behind it.

I also saw on fb this morning a pic that's gone viral. A bottle of prosecco in tesco Scotland is £5.99 whereas the same bottle in ROI is €17.50!!!!! I draw the line at messing with prosecco :D

The excise duty for this country is One of the highest in the EU, hence the high cost of alcohol in this country! Government to blame for that one & for all the high taxes here!! It is annoying seeing how much cheaper things are in the UK when the two prices are on the labels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

There is 15% of H&M today only including mat and nursing clothes. Code is 6040 and included free delivery.

I was in TK Maxx yesterday (in the Tralee store), and they had those Yummy Mummy Changing bags in stock! They were a lot cheaper than the RRP, I think it was about €65 or €69. Still pricey, but a lot cheaper than I've seen them before. They should be in the other stores.

20% off M&S until 23rd May with code MAY16EM

Got some vests, baby towels, black out curtains for the babies room. They have loads of sleeping bags, baby clothes, Muslin cloths, bibs etc

I may also have gotten myself some pixi glo tonic and stila one step correct primer but ssssh.

Saw this on Sam McCauley chemist website. 200ml bio oil reduced from €29.99 to €14.99 for any mammys who use it!

http://www.sammccauley.com/mobile/Product/bio-oil-200ml/14617/2226.49

Must stop Internet shopping....

Sort of a pregnancy bargain, I just got some "from the bump" fathers day cards, they are buy one get one half price at the minute. Also if you but prepay credit you get an extra 25%

https://www.moonpig.com/uk/

Aldi have travel cots that fold into a carry bag for only €29.99! My mom is getting us one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Saw this on Sam McCauley chemist website. 200ml bio oil reduced from €29.99 to €14.99 for any mammys who use it!

http://www.sammccauley.com/mobile/Product/bio-oil-200ml/14617/2226.49

Must stop Internet shopping....

I usually get this at Aldi or Penneys (can't remember which :rolleyes:). They usually have it for even less than that.

Gatica wrote: »
    I usually get this at Aldi or Penneys (can't remember which :rolleyes:). They usually have it for even less than that.
    yep, penneys, they do it for 8 Euro.

Aldi also had a baby sale last week, there might still be some baby grows and vests left in some stores.
    Yesterday I picked up 3 sets of vestsx3, 3 sets of baby growsx3 and a changing mat for 38 Euro.

Lidl is having a maternity section next week. I'm planning on getting their yoga pants for 8 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Ladies, I went to Lidl in Togher this morning for the baby event. Very little there for new borns, but some nice maternity clothes. Got a dress for €9 and a top for €7 - can't argue with that!

They had lots of spoons and plates etc for feeding older babies so I would say it would be very useful if any of you are in the market for that stuff.

Not sure if this is what all lidl's have as part of this baby event or if different shops get different stuff.

I was hoping to get the bottle steriliser in Lidl, but they were already sold out by the time I got there around 4.30pm! I got one of the brushes to clean bottles and a maternity dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I got an email on the Mothercare deal of the week which is the angel care movement and sound monitor for just under €110. Pretty good price for it I think.

I got an email on the Mothercare deal of the week which is the angel care movement and sound monitor for just under €110. Pretty good price for it I think.

Would you have a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

There were a few things on offer in Mothercare this weekend. I just picked up a pack of 2 soothers for €4. I still need to get a steriliser, as the one in Lidl was sold out when I went in a couple of weeks ago.

I got nipple soothing gel in Boots today, buy 1 get 2nd half price.

• Advertisement

brokensoul wrote: »

Have you registered with Mothercare? They will email the deals to you once you do.

I haven't but I will now!! Thanks BS x

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Anyone know where I could possibly get a reasonably priced electric breast pump from? Does anyone know if their ever on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Anyone know where I could possibly get a reasonably priced electric breast pump from? Does anyone know if their ever on offer.

Mamas and papas had the medela swing on price match at €132 last week in dundrum

I'd be interested on picking one up at some point too... I think over 100 is crazy money for what it does. Is there a way to get one second hand with just the sterile bits added new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I'd be interested on picking one up at some point too... I think over 100 is crazy money for what it does. Is there a way to get one second hand with just the sterile bits added new?
    You'd probably get a second hand one easily on ebay. You can get replacement tubing etc. on amazon or through medicare, they're not expensive.

Also I remember that you can the whole sterile pack in the Coombe shop for a reasonable amount (it was three years ago and I cant remember the exact amount but think it was around €20, I just remember thinking it was very reasonable and included the breast cup part and tubes so all you'd need would be the motor part).

It's a great little pump and very portable, noisy though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Just watch if you are buying a pump second hand, the medela swing isn't a closed system and is listed as single use by the manufacturer. They even say you shouldn't use it for a second child.

If you want that particular pump, you could sign up for the boots parenting club and around 4-6weeks after baby arrives they will give you a coupon for 20% off any breast pump. I used that coupon and a coupe of others to get the Ameda lactaline double pump ( closed system) for €74

Thanks for the info. What's a closed loop pump? I just assumed, attach, pump and you get milk in a bottle... :P
    I thought just the attachment and tubing could be replaced. I imagine it's in the manufacturer's interest to say these expensive pumps are not reusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ardo Calypso is £129.99 on Amazon. With sterling in the toilet it's a good time to buy from the UK.

I do just fine with a manual one, but I only express maybe every couple of days.
    xalot wrote: »
    Also I remember that you can the whole sterile pack in the Coombe shop for a reasonable amount (it was three years ago and I cant remember the exact amount but think it was around €20, I just remember thinking it was very reasonable and included the breast cup part and tubes so all you'd need would be the motor part).

It's a bit cheeky of them to charge for tubing if you're in hospital! When my son was in with jaundice they gave me the sterile parts free and brought me a hospital grade pump (Ameda Elite) when I asked for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Ardo Calypso is £129.99 on Amazon. With sterling in the toilet it's a good time to buy from the UK.

I do just fine with a manual one, but I only express maybe every couple of days.

It's a bit cheeky of them to charge for tubing if you're in hospital! When my son was in with jaundice they gave me the sterile parts free and brought me a hospital grade pump (Ameda Elite) when I asked for one.

They gave me mine for free (and use of the hospital grade pump) as my guy was in special care but the girl in the bed beside me bought her own from the shop. I think (but cant be sure) that it might be a case that if you child is ill they supply them but if you just want to pump then you're on your own....sorry for going off topic!

We were going to buy a 2nd hand one from someone, but she was a total time waster we we ended up not taking it from her. It wasn't much cheaper than this one, so we might end up buying this instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Thanks guys for all the helpful info. I will look into it all this evening. Used hand pump on last baby. Took hours. So definitely need to invest in the electric one this time. Don't think I'd feel comfortable using a second hand one from someone online. I'm a bit weird about things like that. Hoping I don't need to use pump as often this time anyway, had lots of problems with baby latching on last time. Hoping things will improve this time around, I know it's off topic but if anyone had any advice in that regard that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Thanks for the info. What's a closed loop pump? I just assumed, attach, pump and you get milk in a bottle... :P
    I thought just the attachment and tubing could be replaced. I imagine it's in the manufacturer's interest to say these expensive pumps are not reusable.

When a system is closed it means the milk doesn't get near the motor or anywhere else that you can't clean.

If you do a google online you will see all the videos of the pumps being opened and the mold inside as you can't fully clean them.

My PHN was the one who gave me the heads up

Angel monitor version AC601

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/c-630/monitors/p-3964/angelcare-simplicity-ac601-movement-sensor-with-sound-monitor/

Was looking at the AC401. It's s little dearer but only difference I can see is vibrating mode and temperature display

Angel monitor version AC601

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/c-630/monitors/p-3964/angelcare-simplicity-ac601-movement-sensor-with-sound-monitor/

Was looking at the AC401. It's s little dearer but only difference I can see is vibrating mode and temperature display

That's a great price. I had seen them on Argos for €101 the other day, although not sure which version it was. There seems to be a good few types around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I got use of a hospital grade one when I was in having my first and second. They also gave me all the tubing/attachments/bits. Neither of mine were in Special care or anything. I would have thought it was standard practice. I was in CUMH.

Didn't realise that about the medala swing. I used it for both of mine. Thanks for the info Little Miss Cutie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement