Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy Bargains Alert Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was hoping to get the bottle steriliser in Lidl, but they were already sold out by the time I got there around 4.30pm! I got one of the brushes to clean bottles and a maternity dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I got an email on the Mothercare deal of the week which is the angel care movement and sound monitor for just under €110. Pretty good price for it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

I got an email on the Mothercare deal of the week which is the angel care movement and sound monitor for just under €110. Pretty good price for it I think.

Would you have a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There were a few things on offer in Mothercare this weekend. I just picked up a pack of 2 soothers for €4. I still need to get a steriliser, as the one in Lidl was sold out when I went in a couple of weeks ago.

I got nipple soothing gel in Boots today, buy 1 get 2nd half price.

• Advertisement

brokensoul wrote: »

Have you registered with Mothercare? They will email the deals to you once you do.

I haven't but I will now!! Thanks BS x

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Anyone know where I could possibly get a reasonably priced electric breast pump from? Does anyone know if their ever on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Anyone know where I could possibly get a reasonably priced electric breast pump from? Does anyone know if their ever on offer.

Mamas and papas had the medela swing on price match at €132 last week in dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I'd be interested on picking one up at some point too... I think over 100 is crazy money for what it does. Is there a way to get one second hand with just the sterile bits added new?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Gatica wrote: »
    I'd be interested on picking one up at some point too... I think over 100 is crazy money for what it does. Is there a way to get one second hand with just the sterile bits added new?
    You'd probably get a second hand one easily on ebay. You can get replacement tubing etc. on amazon or through medicare, they're not expensive.

Also I remember that you can the whole sterile pack in the Coombe shop for a reasonable amount (it was three years ago and I cant remember the exact amount but think it was around €20, I just remember thinking it was very reasonable and included the breast cup part and tubes so all you'd need would be the motor part).

It's a great little pump and very portable, noisy though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Just watch if you are buying a pump second hand, the medela swing isn't a closed system and is listed as single use by the manufacturer. They even say you shouldn't use it for a second child.

If you want that particular pump, you could sign up for the boots parenting club and around 4-6weeks after baby arrives they will give you a coupon for 20% off any breast pump. I used that coupon and a coupe of others to get the Ameda lactaline double pump ( closed system) for €74

Thanks for the info. What's a closed loop pump? I just assumed, attach, pump and you get milk in a bottle... :P
    I thought just the attachment and tubing could be replaced. I imagine it's in the manufacturer's interest to say these expensive pumps are not reusable.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ardo Calypso is £129.99 on Amazon. With sterling in the toilet it's a good time to buy from the UK.

I do just fine with a manual one, but I only express maybe every couple of days.
    xalot wrote: »
    Also I remember that you can the whole sterile pack in the Coombe shop for a reasonable amount (it was three years ago and I cant remember the exact amount but think it was around €20, I just remember thinking it was very reasonable and included the breast cup part and tubes so all you'd need would be the motor part).

It's a bit cheeky of them to charge for tubing if you're in hospital! When my son was in with jaundice they gave me the sterile parts free and brought me a hospital grade pump (Ameda Elite) when I asked for one.

Ardo Calypso is £129.99 on Amazon. With sterling in the toilet it's a good time to buy from the UK.

I do just fine with a manual one, but I only express maybe every couple of days.

It's a bit cheeky of them to charge for tubing if you're in hospital! When my son was in with jaundice they gave me the sterile parts free and brought me a hospital grade pump (Ameda Elite) when I asked for one.

They gave me mine for free (and use of the hospital grade pump) as my guy was in special care but the girl in the bed beside me bought her own from the shop. I think (but cant be sure) that it might be a case that if you child is ill they supply them but if you just want to pump then you're on your own....sorry for going off topic!

We were going to buy a 2nd hand one from someone, but she was a total time waster we we ended up not taking it from her. It wasn't much cheaper than this one, so we might end up buying this instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Thanks guys for all the helpful info. I will look into it all this evening. Used hand pump on last baby. Took hours. So definitely need to invest in the electric one this time. Don't think I'd feel comfortable using a second hand one from someone online. I'm a bit weird about things like that. Hoping I don't need to use pump as often this time anyway, had lots of problems with baby latching on last time. Hoping things will improve this time around, I know it's off topic but if anyone had any advice in that regard that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Thanks for the info. What's a closed loop pump? I just assumed, attach, pump and you get milk in a bottle... :P
    I thought just the attachment and tubing could be replaced. I imagine it's in the manufacturer's interest to say these expensive pumps are not reusable.

When a system is closed it means the milk doesn't get near the motor or anywhere else that you can't clean.

If you do a google online you will see all the videos of the pumps being opened and the mold inside as you can't fully clean them.

My PHN was the one who gave me the heads up

Angel monitor version AC601

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/c-630/monitors/p-3964/angelcare-simplicity-ac601-movement-sensor-with-sound-monitor/

Was looking at the AC401. It's s little dearer but only difference I can see is vibrating mode and temperature display

stickybean wrote: »
    Angel monitor version AC601

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/c-630/monitors/p-3964/angelcare-simplicity-ac601-movement-sensor-with-sound-monitor/

Was looking at the AC401. It's s little dearer but only difference I can see is vibrating mode and temperature display

That's a great price. I had seen them on Argos for €101 the other day, although not sure which version it was. There seems to be a good few types around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I got use of a hospital grade one when I was in having my first and second. They also gave me all the tubing/attachments/bits. Neither of mine were in Special care or anything. I would have thought it was standard practice. I was in CUMH.

Didn't realise that about the medala swing. I used it for both of mine. Thanks for the info Little Miss Cutie.

• Advertisement

I got a Tommee Tippee steriliser in Smyths toystore today, reduced to €39.99. We had just looked at the same one in Mothercare which was on sale for €54.99! Big difference!

I did see some lovely maxi dresses in Mothercare reduced. I might order one as it was a nursing one and would work after I have the baby :)

Saw this over in the general bargain alerts and thought I'd pass on here, handy for big ticket items, it brings the Next 2 me crib down to €178.50 which is definitely the cheapest I've seen it.

The code is TECHC15 and is good until 18th August.

I tried that code on the boots.ie site and it didn't seem to work. Has anyone managed to use it?

It wont go through for me now either, was holding off ordering until payday. You try the number on the link here
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/399192/391265.jpeg

maybe they'd deduct the amount over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

50% sale in Mothercare at the moment!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not sure how much it is in Ireland but the Philips-Avent Complete Natural set is down to £55 in the Mothercare sale here.

Boots have 33% of some breast feeding accessories. I got the multimam compresses, multimam nipple cream and lanicol (sp?) this evening. They also have 3 for 2 on breast pads and maternity pads.

Got two packs of newborn nappies (22 in a pack) for €7.50 in boots today, they are €5.70 each

Last day with the boots online discount! The code works for me when typed with capital letters (it didn't get accepted at first, but I used lowercase and the message above said that it's case sensitive).
    Just bought a few items for my hospital bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

There's €50 off in Smyth's at the moment when you purchase the Maxi Cosi Cabriofix Group 1 car seat and the Easifix Base together. Works out at €240 for both which is a good saving considering the car seat alone is retailing for €180 to €200 in some shops

Advertisement