Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The One About Optimum Strategies for Co-Op Content...

• 13-01-2016 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

I'll get the ball rolling with my olde favourite argument talking point, Golgoroth.

NOTE: Not sure if viable for challenge mode, but I don't see any reason why it's not tbh
    You run the one orb strat as normal until you get to the point where you need to drop the orb. Have the team damage the orb as normal until it's nearly ready to drop.

At this point you have a Titan jump down into golgoroths pit and drop a weapons of light bubble in the entrance to little room where the enemy's spawn in on the left.

Everyone then jumps into the Titans bubble. Golgoroth will then be looking down and firing at the Titan bubble

The gaze holder stands on the boxes on the left drops the orb and then takes Golgoroths gaze. because Golgoroth is looking down its very easy to hit his crit spot from the front.

Everyone can then steps forward into the pool getting maximum time and an already active weapons of light buff.

No time wasted jumping down after the gaze is taken, and no time wasted dropping the bubble or stepping back into the weapons of light bubble.

We got two hunter tethers in as well on the first Damage phase because we had so much time. The first phase saw us take his energy down to under a third straight away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That would like be optimum for the normal runs alight - I've never understood why we wait til after the gaze is taken to drop the orb - that last longer than the gaze does, by a decent amount, so they can be dropped once he is turned (on a non-challenge go).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Tried that twice with Redzer et al last night. Worked fine except for Exaar (gaze holder) being killed by the orbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I've never understood why we wait til after the gaze is taken to drop the orb - that last longer than the gaze does, by a decent amount, so they can be dropped once he is turned (on a non-challenge go).

never noticed that before, must look at that the next time, I know there have been times we've lost a few seconds of damage as we got the orb down after the gaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'll get the ball rolling with my olde favourite argument talking point, Golgoroth.

NOTE: Not sure if viable for challenge mode, but I don't see any reason why it's not tbh

Thought you hated the one orb strat?

It's also handy to drop the bubble up top and have everyone walk through it on the way down.

If ypu do drop it at the bottom once your shooting him you really shouldnt stop to go back in for a weapons as your just wasting time and once tether's are in place the extra damage lost from missing out on two/three shots to grab the WOL dosent make up for the three missed shots.

emmetkenny wrote: »

It's also handy to drop the bubble up top and have everyone walk through it on the way down.

If ypu do drop it at the bottom once your shooting him you really shouldnt stop to go back in for a weapons as your just wasting time and once tether's are in place the extra damage lost from missing out on two/three shots to grab the WOL dosent make up for the three missed shots.

Plus moving to go back into the bubble means you may be blocking off other people from shooting, or knocking their shot off the crit spot etc.

Hate it when people keep moving around on the first orb. stand still and shoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

As the person that nearly always did the Relic in VoG and Sword in CE, I hate people not learning to do more than "Shoot boss now", I don't care personally if it takes twenty mins or a few runs of practice before reverting back to the person who is most used to it.

One orb is grand now that everyone is Light Level 317 or whatever, at the inception of Hard Mode though us few Gaze holders were far to much of a "Crutch" and it always ran close to "Enrage" since doing more than one-orb was so terrifying.

That's just my take on it. I realise it's not a popular opinion.

Golgoroth can pop a bubble with his Axiom Darts, so if you do this, just make sure it's not between the gaze holder and Golgoroth.... learned that the embarrassing way.

"Bubbles Up"
    *pop*
    "Never Mind"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Plus moving to go back into the bubble means you may be blocking off other people from shooting, or knocking their shot off the crit spot etc.

Hate it when people keep moving around on the first orb. stand still and shoot.

Bang on.

So grab WOL once and be done with it. Up top is handy because it'll leave the orbs in a really accessible place to help build supers next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Bang on.

So grab WOL once and be done with it. Up top is handy because it'll leave the orbs in a really accessible place to help build supers next round.

plus putting the bubble up there stops people covering the entire orb splash down below, I know the first time I did golgoroth I was dodgy with the bubble placement :)

when doing the challenge mode for Golgoroth, I find being a hammer bro titan a good option when setting up the second orb (if you are doing the strat of orb 1+ damage, change to gaze 2, change to gaze 3, change to gaze 4, change to gaze 5, orb 2-change to gaze 6+damage).

If the 5th gaze person is a hammer bro titan, just chuck a bunch of sun spot creating hammers at/around the pool; which will stop ads from getting in close to the DPS group. I have also done this ad control as a Stormcaller but I found it a bit unreliable.

syboit wrote: »
    plus putting the bubble up there stops people covering the entire orb splash down below, I know the first time I did golgoroth I was dodgy with the bubble placement :)

Oh, let me tell you stories about dodgy bubble placement - I think I placed one in the Tower one time....:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Oh, let me tell you stories about dodgy bubble placement - I think I placed one in the Tower one time....:eek::D

Who hasn't had a dodgy bubble placement?

Honestly, when I'm drunk, this is one of my favourite recurring subjects to bring up. Someday you're gonna lose your s**t and just go off on one screaming at me and smashing things

Honestly, when I'm drunk, this is one of my favourite recurring subjects to bring up. Someday you're gonna lose your s**t and just go off on one screaming at me and smashing things

Me? Lose my cool? You must be thinking of someone else, sir.

More Kings Falls stuff. I said this warranted sharing:

When holding aura at Warpriest, don't ADS (aim down sights) and the acolyte mobs won't hide.
    Simply put, aiming down sight causes the acolytes AI to recognize them as targeted, and they then break line of sight. You then focus on the next acolyte, who hides, and so on until you die to the timer.
    Solution: Don't aim at them full time, either quickscope or hip-fire and they won't hide.

More Kings Falls stuff. I said this warranted sharing:

When holding aura at Warpriest, don't ADS (aim down sights) and the acolyte mobs won't hide.
    Simply put, aiming down sight causes the acolytes AI to recognize them as targeted, and they then break line of sight. You then focus on the next acolyte, who hides, and so on until you die to the timer.
    Solution: Don't aim at them full time, either quickscope or hip-fire and they won't hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

We do the titan bubble thing below, allows for max damage. Just on Golgoroth challenge mode a couple of things that have worked for us:

1) No need to assign numbers. This seems to cause a lot of confusion, I have found. Have one dude jump out with 10 seconds to go, 5 if you are comfortable with it, and have him grab second gaze. He should grab gaze at the middle point on the right hand side, just past the small stairs that you shoot past for ads.

2) Once he has taken it, everyone can rush up to the same spot and get in a queue to take their turn at gaze. When they get the gaze, each person runs around to where the original gazeholder is, top of the boxes on the left, which turns Golgoroth into a perfect spot for the next guy to shoot his back. Everyone shoots the orbs coming at each gaze holder when they reach their end point, rather than having dudes run all over the world causing problems for the next guy.

3)Designate one person as final gaze holder, preferably Hunter with shadestep but not essential, so you know that you have finished the run of 6 when this person says they have it.

4) If you get the bomb, go stand between Golgie's legs. Does 250k damage to him when it blows which is more useful than running off to a corner. If you get the bomb super early, you can take over second gaze if your group is comfortable to adapt, which maximises your damage potential.

The above should mean you get Golgoroth done in under 2 burn phases if you are decently levelled and you will not even see the Taken. Obviously tethers and black spindle are an advantage.

We do the titan bubble thing below, allows for max damage. Just on Golgoroth challenge mode a couple of things that have worked for us:

1) No need to assign numbers. This seems to cause a lot of confusion, I have found. Have one dude jump out with 10 seconds to go, 5 if you are comfortable with it, and have him grab second gaze. He should grab gaze at the middle point on the right hand side, just past the small stairs that you shoot past for ads.

2) Once he has taken it, everyone can rush up to the same spot and get in a queue to take their turn at gaze. When they get the gaze, each person runs around to where the original gazeholder is, top of the boxes on the left, which turns Golgoroth into a perfect spot for the next guy to shoot his back. Everyone shoots the orbs coming at each gaze holder when they reach their end point, rather than having dudes run all over the world causing problems for the next guy.

3)Designate one person as final gaze holder, preferably Hunter with shadestep but not essential, so you know that you have finished the run of 6 when this person says they have it.

4) If you get the bomb, go stand between Golgie's legs. Does 250k damage to him when it blows which is more useful than running off to a corner. If you get the bomb super early, you can take over second gaze if your group is comfortable to adapt, which maximises your damage potential.

The above should mean you get Golgoroth done in under 2 burn phases if you are decently levelled and you will not even see the Taken. Obviously tethers and black spindle are an advantage.

Personally, I find numbers to be of help. Did it three times there on Wednesday: Odd numbers on right, Even numbers on left. When #1 takes the gaze (right bridge) drop L1, then #2 takes gaze for 1st damage phase. #3 takes gaze at as close to 1 sec as possible, then #4. When #5 takes it, drop R1, then #6 takes it and stands on the box. When you don't have the gaze spam grenades and clear all adds in pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Personally, I find numbers to be of help. Did it three times there on Wednesday: Odd numbers on right, Even numbers on left. When #1 takes the gaze (right bridge) drop L1, then #2 takes gaze for 1st damage phase. #3 takes gaze at as close to 1 sec as possible, then #4. When #5 takes it, drop R1, then #6 takes it and stands on the box. When you don't have the gaze spam grenades and clear all adds in pit.

Yeah, numbers works as well if you are comfortable with that. I've just done it a couple of times in the last month or so with random people from r/fireteams, when my usual group is not around, and have heard "**** dude, I thought I was number 3. What number were you so I can replace?" and if the team is not thinking quickly it can cause a wipe.

Only assigning first gaze holder, first to jump from pit and last gaze holder (if you really need to) eliminates a lot of confusion. The 3,4,5 people can all just shoot at his back and whoever gets it, gets it. You can't overlap gazes as his back closes once you have it.

You seem to be doing 2 orbs though and have second gaze holder do the first burn phase, if I'm reading correctly, which I try to avoid if I have randoms or first timers in the group. Reducing variables for a wipe when you are trying to get it done sub 1 hour is the name of the game with pick up groups, for me. Whatever works though.

Yeah, numbers works as well if you are comfortable with that. I've just done it a couple of times in the last month or so with random people from r/fireteams, when my usual group is not around, and have heard "**** dude, I thought I was number 3. What number were you so I can replace?" and if the team is not thinking quickly it can cause a wipe.

Only assigning first gaze holder, first to jump from pit and last gaze holder (if you really need to) eliminates a lot of confusion. The 3,4,5 people can all just shoot at his back and whoever gets it, gets it. You can't overlap gazes as his back closes once you have it.

You seem to be doing 2 orbs though and have second gaze holder do the first burn phase, if I'm reading correctly, which I try to avoid if I have randoms or first timers in the group. Reducing variables for a wipe when you are trying to get it done sub 1 hour is the name of the game with pick up groups, for me. Whatever works though.

Yeah, two orbs, so we use distraction as first gaze holder and drop L1 before #2 takes, which gives maximum time in puddle, and same again for R1 with #5 and 6. I have done taking the gaze from L1, bridge and R2 and don't really mind being any number in the queue, though generally run gaze for first damage phase. Would all depend LL of char and composition of the group too.

I can imagine, if running with a pug, getting a set order strat could be troublesome.

First time I ran the challenge we did the 1 orb, which obviously took a little longer, but having run 2 orbs for a while now, the only difference is the time it takes.

For the Oryx Challenge next week, it's worth noting that getting your 1000 Yard Stare above 325 will be of a big help
    1KYS/LDR/Longbow above 325 light level can one shoot the Lighteater Knight.

Just did HM Raid as a 327 with 329 1KYS. The Lighteater knight died the moment he spawned. That was wonderful

• Advertisement

For the Oryx Challenge next week, it's worth noting that getting your 1000 Yard Stare above 325 will be of a big help

I wouldn't see it as a big issue - though I do note you say OPTIMUM.

If you can get a headshot on him, a simply body shot will finish him off. if it was the difference between needing two headshots to kill him and one, then it would be something I would look at having.

For PoE 42 (Challenge) here's some handy tips so you don't end up doing 3 ruins per character
    A summary for those who prefer to read are as follows.
    -50 points deducted is automatically deducted when the enrage timer is first announced.
    Intervals are 45 seconds apart everytime.
    -50 points continue to be deducted, there is no final enrage death.. simply -50 points every 45 second intervals.
    If you are trying to max out points for the cumulative 90K points bounty. It is best to try to clean up any enemies that are remaining instead of trying to hurry up and down the boss quickly. The reason is that even the death of 1 precision enemy are enough positive points to buy you over 2 minutes and 15 seconds (-150 points/ 3 X 45 second intervals) as the death of one mob should cover the negative point.
    I didn't mention this in the video but you should always end your boss kill with a precision shot for a special Bonus points.
    The goal is to aim for 45K points per run, to complete the 90K bounty in 2 runs. I have personally made it to 50K per run.
    *Bonus Tip. If you truly want to maximize your points there is a 50 points free for assists. Have 2 players body shot the enemy and have the 3rd player get a precision head-shot. That's 100 extra points for one person. It adds up quickly.

Robbed:
    Echo chamber: crouch at the boss

Not sure everybody knows (I did not...) but when the 3 players all crouch at the Boss you can DPS him non stop he does not close his eye. No player can stand up again. So you just have one phase of DPS, it's super fast. Nice when speed running heroics.

Robbed:

Video of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

At current guardian light levels, and kf HM difficulty, the necessity for 2 Titans in the raid is gone now it seems. Handy to have two for Golgoroth in case one doesn't have the bubble back before a round of DPS. Oryx is absolutely fine with one Titan running blessings as ToM is doing the job now. Have my ToM up to 334 after last night and look forward to seeing how the sisters run in the few weeks to come as the damage output increases.

If you're raiding early in the week with a group who all have all 3 characters, I see no reason not to bring 2 of each type, especially if all 6 know how to do all roles

When we used to farm the challenge modes this is what we did and it worked a treat.

Sure you can probably do an Oryx challenge with 1 titan and 5 warlocks, but I for one would rather not.

If something makes life easier, I'm all for it :)

Extra tethers, weapons of light, back up bubbles, self res on front platforms eider eider.

It is a good bit easier now though if you're like 325+

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah I was the only Titan in the middle last night, Blessing Bubble, 330 Light and a 326 ToM and it was tearing through Ogres and all with the bubble still lasting :)

Have done it a couple of times with just the one titan and it is fine (obv still need a second person in the bubble).

However, I would say Cormac is right (optimally) if you are considering it for a 3 run group. If you organize who runs as what it means you always have someone capable of doing a particular job; whether that be a bubble, a tether or an aggressive roaming super. It gets you through the three raids with no arguments on who is running as what or ending up with 5 hunters and a warlock.

The point at which you can accept to run it without two of each is when you are running the raid on different days with different groups. Especially towards the end of the week it might be hard to find two titans online - with one being fine (no weapons bubble) it makes the late week raids a bit easier to do/sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

As we are fast approaching a new raid, I don't think there is any harm in detailing out the Oryx encounter, a bit late for spoilers. Yes, there are still people who have yet to do or complete the raid but if they have a good understanding of what is going on then it makes it a lot easier on everyone to assist them in completing.

I've linked some YouTube POV videos below that should be a help for people new to the raid or a particular role. The platform 1 video is the only one that isn't challenge mode and they don't tether the Thrall in the centre but other than that they're pretty similar to how we run.

Runner

Centre

Platform 1

Platform 2

Platform 3

Ideally you run this with 2 of each class, a lot of us have 3 characters so this makes it easy when completing 3 times a week.

Roles and subclasses as follows, these can be any classes really but this is how we set it out if we can:

Runner: Hunter Nightstalker
    Centre: 2 x Titan Defenders, 1 running WoL and the other BoL
    Platform 1: Warlock Sunsinger
    Platform 2: Hunter Nightstalker
    Platform 3: Warlock Sunsinger

Most popular weapon loadouts, again not set in stone:
    Primary: Touch of Malice
    Special: High Impact Sniper
    Heavy: Raid Machine Gun

Just a couple of important things to remember/do in the raid from each perspective:

Runner
    1. Get around as quick as possible
    2. Let everyone know that you have collected the Brand
    3. Slam the Vessel, damage or kill him but get to the centre asap, an exotic sword makes this super easy
    4. Hold good position so that everyone is in the Aura and call if you are moving
    5. On the final round maintain constant DPS on Oryx

Centre
    [LIST=2]
    [*]Try to get the 2 bubbles to overlap, within reason, so that you don't accidently miss one when dipping in
    [*]Drop Ogres, drop Light Eater Knights and Acolyte's Eyes in that order
    [*]On the final round, the centre who remains while the others detonate bombs should maintain constant DPS on Oryx
    [/LIST]

Platforms
    [LIST=3]
    [*]Get to your platform asap
    [*]Call out your number when you have landed on the plate
    [*]Crouch
    [*]Grenade to your Ogre and follow with sniper rounds
    [*]Drop Light Eater Knight on spawn
    [*]Stay out of exposed areas but snipe Acolyte's Eyes if possible
    [*]As soon as Brand has been grabbed, exit platform (by dropping off edge not jumping) and hightail it to the centre
    [*]If you missed your Knight let everyone know and now is a good time to help kill him. Track his movement and pop out of bubble to let off sniper rounds and back into bubble.
    [*]DPS Oryx and kill all adds that shoot back (leave the thrall)

[*]On the final round it is very important that you remember your platform location. Once all adds have been cleared, someone will say "head to your bombs", your job is the go to your bombs and stand just outside the outer ring while someone will give a countdown, "3, 2, 1 and enter bombs", at this stage you step in to the round black orbs and wait until you see your name appear in the lower left of the screen 4 times. I find it helpful to enter the bombs and rotate until I can see the name of the person opposite so that I am orientated in the correct direction on exit. Stay in the bombs until you are sure you have detonated all 4, better to be a dead guardian than only detonate 3 bombs.
    [*]Get back to the centre and continue with DPS.
    [/LIST]

Just a quick one on the Shade, sniper rifles tend to do the best damage but if you have a BoL bubble then you can go ham with ToM. Make sure you call when he is going to slam to warn the ones who may be teleported next. If you have a Sunsinger in there then they should take the slam, if there is a Thrall around punch it for an overshield.

I may not have covered everything and I'm sure there is bound to be some disagreement but hopefully this deals with most of the encounter. The first couple of times is difficult but once you get a few completions behind you then it just becomes so mechanical. I have also ommited some stuff that just comes naturally as you start racking up completions as this is only supposed to be a starting block.

Enjoy the game, it ain't life or death, see you on the Dreadnaught.

• Advertisement

Excellent post Dude. If I may add a caveat, ToM is not a dead cert requirement unless your a Titan. I only use ToM when I'm running Titan as the two Titans will drop the Ogres quick smart, leaving the Platformers to concentrate on Snipers and their Knights. Any other primary is hunky dory for clearing adds and shade.

Advertisement