Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Munster, Sat 16th April 19.15, Sportsground. Sky Sports 5/TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Which position did he apply for?

There's reportedly personal animosity between Penney and Hansen isn't there?
    He (Penney) missed out to Blackadder in 2009 when Robbie Deans left the Crusaders, and to Dave Rennie at the Chiefs in 2012. What would have hurt most was being overlooked when Mark Hammett was appointed Hurricanes head coach in 2011.

Penney had been the Canterbury coach for six years and won three national titles. Hammett had only worked as an assistant with the Crusaders, under Deans and Blackadder.

First I've heard about Hansen. Think he upset a few people for siding with Robbie Deans v. Steve Tew. Wayne Smith recommended him to Munster. At the time, David Humphreys was asked why Ulster had not approached him and he said that ''Penney was a bit strong for them'.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That's what I'm saying. Players being based in Limerick and Cork is not an excuse for them not training together every day. The cities are close enough to each other. The fact they aren't training together every day is a **** up by Munster rugby.

Haven't you heard that the road between Cork & Limerick is very poor and they are not going to upgrade it. It would be quicker to get from Dublin to Limerick than it would be to get from Cork to Limerick.

.ak wrote: »
    He saying he's handed one of his players cards twice. Why say it? Because he's trying to draw attention to it in the public eye. It's nothing to do with it being something they have to work on. He singled out the ref and the player. It's bizarre.

Well feic me, you've just had a crushing loss and you are asked questions when you say what you think. Would you prefer if they said nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

jm08 wrote: »
    Haven't you heard that the road between Cork & Limerick is very poor and they are not going to upgrade it. It would be quicker to get from Dublin to Limerick than it would be to get from Cork to Limerick.

The one and only road between Cork and Limerick. How about the train? It's probably quicker than driving and I'm guessing it runs a few times a day.

The one and only road between Cork and Limerick. How about the train? It's probably quicker than driving and I'm guessing it runs a few times a day.

Plenty of trains already (with one change). Take 2hrs 10 mins each way - so that would be about 4.5 hours per day on a train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This is not worth discussion, every other pro rugby side on the planet has managed to instruct their players to show up at a certain place at a certain time for training, if Munster want to make this insane decision to give their players a choice then it's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭OldRio

Plenty of trains already (with one change). Take 2hrs 10 mins each way - so that would be about 4.5 hours per day on a train.

No wonder they got beat. It all makes sense now.

This is not worth discussion, every other pro rugby side on the planet has managed to instruct their players to show up at a certain place at a certain time for training, if Munster want to make this insane decision to give their players a choice then it's their problem.

A new training centre is being opened in Limerick for next season (a new 10m training centre is being built in UL). The issue has been addressed, but they are not happy about it in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I just looked it up to see how true this is. There's a fast train in the morning and evening that takes a little over an hour and a half(1.35ish) and there are plenty of others that are around 1.45-1.50 so no.

This is a ridiculous point to be arguing anyway, who exactly are you assigning blame to here? Is it the IRFU's faut? Dept of transport? Joe Schmidt?

Bazzo wrote: »
    I just looked it up to see how true this is. There's a fast train in the morning and evening that takes a little over an hour and a half(1.35ish) and there are plenty of others that are around 1.45-1.50 so no.

This is a ridiculous point to be arguing anyway, who exactly are you assigning blame to here? Is it the IRFU's faut? Dept of transport? Joe Schmidt?

I'm not assigning blame on anyone. It was a crazy situation which has now been addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bazzo wrote: »

It's always been a very curious thing. I suspect it's just down to possessiveness from a certain section of people with too much power. I can't understand what's stopping them moving everyone, even if they have to provide accommodation temporarily, why didn't it happen a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It's always been a very curious thing. I suspect it's just down to possessiveness from a certain section of people with too much power. I can't understand what's stopping them moving everyone, even if they have to provide accommodation temporarily, why didn't it happen a decade ago.

Certainly looks that way, it was an entirely internal issue that has finally been dealt with thankfully, really bizzare way to work things the way they have been up until now.

Check out Munsterfans to see how really annoyed the Cork fans are about this. They feel that Munster has now become a Limerick team and that Cork, as the largest city in the Province is being neglected. They are gunning for Garret Fitzgerald because he allowed this to happen!

Everyone is moving to Limerick for next season. It didn't happen a decade ago because it suited - most the backs were in Cork and the most the forwards were in Limerick - they met up twice a week and they were such good players, they managed. Jim Williams (back in the 00s) said it was absolutely crazy carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Can't remember his name being linked with any of the clubs. As for any animosity, swiwi would probably know more. He's from the same neck of the woods.

I don't know of any ill-feeling between Steve & Rob but I think the latter may have burnt some bridges along the way and he has been consistently overlooked for a super coaching post.

As for the 2 training bases malarkey that would be the end of the NZ super rugby franchises. I'll have some of what jm08 is smoking, she has lost the plot.

There should be a good masters thesis and even a book out of all this "The rise and fall of Munster rugby: (add your choice of angle here)."

How Munster go about trying to put the ship back on keel will be interesting. Needs to start by accepting responsibility and not blaming refs or geography.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    As for the 2 training bases malarkey that would be the end of the NZ super rugby franchises. I'll have some of what jm08 is smoking, she has lost the plot.

Not too sure what you mean by this?

Are you saying that NZ super rugby franchises have a similar set-up to Munster where the teams train separately? I was under the impression that Munster was unique in having two training bases with the full squad only meeting up together twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Are you saying that NZ super rugby franchises have a similar set-up to Munster where the teams train separately? I was under the impression that Munster was unique in having two training bases with the full squad only meeting up together twice a week.
    This is my 3rd time asking you...
    Are you happy for Foley to remain as headcoach?

When the Chiefs were first created they combined North Harbour/Northland with Waikato. It was a fubacle far greater to any issues between Cork and Limerick. Thankfully that's all changed.

All the franchises have one base for training and playing the majority of their home games. The players all live there for the season. They do however travel around their regions for a couple of games and meet n greets with fans. Nearly all the preseason games will be played outside of their usual home field. Remember though, NZ is a lot bigger than Ireland so commuting from home towns wouldn't be an option for a lot of the players.

kuang1 wrote: »
    This is my 3rd time asking you...
    Are you happy for Foley to remain as headcoach?

Yes. I think he is a good coach. Munster have lost some key people through retirement and injury this year (POC, POM & BJ) as well as some people coming back from long term injuries like Sherry & Archer. We could have done with a bit more experience in the squad.

Was Foleys contract recently extended?

When the Chiefs were first created they combined North Harbour/Northland with Waikato. It was a fubacle far greater to any issues between Cork and Limerick. Thankfully that's all changed.

All the franchises have one base for training and playing the majority of their home games. The players all live there for the season. They do however travel around their regions for a couple of games and meet n greets with fans. Nearly all the preseason games will be played outside of their usual home field. Remember though, NZ is a lot bigger than Ireland so commuting from home towns wouldn't be an option for a lot of the players.

So, Munster is unique in its set up.

By the way, there has always been a massive rivalry between Cork and Limerick. Thats why Cork fans are really pissed off that everything is in Limerick now.

• Advertisement

Yes, until the end of next season.

No. He had an option for a 3rd year on his original contract which he has taken up.

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No. He had an option for a 3rd year on his original contract which he has taken up.

Sorry jm08 but this is just nonsensical spin.

awec wrote: »
    Sorry jm08 but this is just nonsensical spin.

That is how it works. It was up to Axel not to exercise the option.

I'd imagine there was a bit of learning involved from what happened when Leinster sacked MOC anyway. You could be left with no one.

That is how it works. It was up to Axel not to exercise the option.

I'd imagine there was a bit of learning involved from what happened when Leinster sacked MOC anyway. You could be left with no one.

:pac:

Stop digging jm08. He may have had the option to sign for a third year but at the end of the day he initially signed for two and was allowed to sign for the extra year.

You can dress it up however you want, stick whatever name on it you wish and make all the references to Leinster that you want (who by the way are sitting top of the table and have done the double over Munster this year) but in reality he was given the extra year.

Nope. It's a mutual option, Munster extend it first.

As Fitzgerald said "As confirmed previously, we offered Anthony the option to extend his contract as per the initial agreement in 2014 and we are pleased to see him avail of this renewal and commit to the province for a further year"

awec wrote: »
    :pac:

Stop digging jm08. He may have had the option to sign for a third year but at the end of the day he initially signed for two and was allowed to sign for the extra year.

You can dress it up however you want, stick whatever name on it you wish and make all the references to Leinster that you want (who by the way are sitting top of the table and have done the double over Munster this year) but in reality he was given the extra year.

The only one digging is you. It would have cost Munster to withdraw the 3rd year option. If its not relevant, why state that the contract is 2 years plus option on 3rd in the first place.

Its a fact that Leinster (which would be regarded as a more attractive option than Munster), did not receive any applicants to replace MOC and Leinster were lucky they had Leo & Girvan to fall back on.

Nope. It's a mutual option, Munster extend it first.

As Fitzgerald said "As confirmed previously, we offered Anthony the option to extend his contract as per the initial agreement in 2014 and we are pleased to see him avail of this renewal and commit to the province for a further year"

You missed the bit in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It would have cost Munster to withdraw the 3rd year option.

Evidence please.

• Advertisement

The only one digging is you. It would have cost Munster to withdraw the 3rd year option. If its not relevant, why state that the contract is 2 years plus option on 3rd in the first place.

Its a fact that Leinster (which would be regarded as a more attractive option than Munster), did not receive any applicants to replace MOC and Leinster were lucky they had Leo & Girvan to fall back on.

It is costing Munster right now, you are awful.

Leinster got rid of MOC late which didn't help with applicants, Munster should have told Foley there was no extension and been looking for replacements 3 or 4 months ago. It's not as if the poor showings are a recent thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement