Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Munster, Sat 16th April 19.15, Sportsground. Sky Sports 5/TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Buer wrote: »
    I mentioned it earlier in the season when it occurred but being booed off by his own side's support in his home ground was something that was always going to be difficult to come back from. That moment must have really hurt his confidence.

He never got booed off. There was a sarcastic cheeer aimed more at Foley than Keatley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Buer wrote: »
    I mentioned it earlier in the season when it occurred but being booed off by his own side's support in his home ground was something that was always going to be difficult to come back from. That moment must have really hurt his confidence.

It was ironic cheering rather than booing but yeah, can't have been great for him.

He's been brutal for about 12 months now though. Munster have to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Akrasia wrote: »
    He never got booed off. There was a sarcastic cheeer aimed more at Foley than Keatley.

Sorry, you're right. He was jeered off the field, not booed.

Whether it was directed at Foley or not, it was Keatley who had to endure it as well as the odd public statement addressing the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'm a born and bred JAFFA (Just Another Fcuker From Auckland) and 20 years a Blues fan and this is the first I've heard about Anscombe sending racist texts. Sources please.

Yeah in May. After another month of losses.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm happy for Lam. He was a great servant of Auckland, NZ and Samoan rugby. 2012 was a disaster for the Blues and as head coach it was his responsibility. Yes there were injuries but with that talent pool! The team regressed. Same as Leinster with MOC and Munster with Foley.

I'm glad Lam is having success with Connacht. I enjoy watching them.

I'm surprised you didn't hear this. It was in the news a lot here because of Anscombe joining Ulster.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/sport/racist-text-to-pat-lam-confirmed-2012051717#axzz466sVK3rU

Akrasia wrote: »

Only complete clowns would think that people would get that they were jeering someone up in the stands while Keatley walked off the pitch :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

jm08 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you didn't hear this. It was in the news a lot here because of Anscombe joining Ulster.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/sport/racist-text-to-pat-lam-confirmed-2012051717#axzz466sVK3rU

Wow. Never heard anything about that. Doesn't sound like the Anscombe I know. Strange that there wasn't more about that.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Wow. Never heard anything about that. Doesn't sound like the Anscombe I know. Strange that there wasn't more about that.

It was someone who had access and used Mark Anscombe's phone. Not hard to guess who it was. Mark protected their identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It was someone who had access and used Mark Anscombe's phone. Not hard to guess who it was. Mark protected their identity.

That was what Anscombe said anyway. Maybe it was true but he was hardly going to come out and say he sent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lam accused Hodges of corruption as he said that he would give decisions against Connacht so that they would lose the game because they had not arranged good parking for him.

That was very inappropriate of Hodges to say and do that. Lam's mistake was not just reporting him.

If Foley is not charged and fined for inappropriate comments about the referee, will you agree that your imagination (as well as .ak's) is way too over active?

He's clearly not going to be fined, because he gave a politicians answer.

At the very least he'll influence the refs decision next time that ref has to make a call on Cronin.

To me he's clearly accusing the ref of being biased against Cronin.

He wouldn't be the first coach to do it something like that, won't be the last, but maybe he should concentrate on what's really controllable. His players, and not the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Didn't see the game yet but you have to say that's a very poor result for Munster but a top notch one for Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I don't get what people think was so harsh about the yellow anyhow. Munster were pinged twice in the previous 2 scrums, there were a few resets and Whitehouse took BOTH front rows aside and said "Any more messing around and someone's getting a card."

Next scrum and Cronin comes out with an incredibly obvious infringement, Whitehouse was dead right to go straight for the card IMO, he just did exactly what he had warned them he would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Is that munster out of the champions cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nah, Munster will almost certainly qualify for the Champions Cup unless they lose both their remaining games, which are at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Nah. They have Edinburgh at home in two weeks. A win there and they will 99% qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Nah. They have Edinburgh at home in two weeks. A win there and they will 99% qualify.
    But that's the worry surely? Edinburgh can run in tries and Munster would need to have their A defence out to stop them. After last weekend, doubts would be strong. It would be a crying shame if they didn't make it. Hopefully the Connacht game will concentrate minds.

Edinburgh win, they're going to finish ahead of Munster. They'll just need to beat Cardiff at home in their final game) and a losing BP might even be enough. If the Scarlets get anything from a game against the Dragons in a neutral venue, they're mathematically certain to finish ahead of Munster.

The Edinburgh game is absolutely huge now and close to being a winner takes all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Was at the game, first trip back to the Sportgsground in a few years - thought we bossed them for the first half hour, I was in the Clan with all the locals and they were a bit shell-shocked.

It all got away from us then.. and it's down to coaching. One-out balls to fellas going from a standing start... the only time we broke them from 5 yards out playing that way was when Saili ran from deep but ultimately knocked on. He was atrocious, incidentally, constantly crabbing across the pitch, worst match of the season by him for me and he should have been subbed for Conway and Earls to 13 'cos he was getting no change out of Aki. Black mark against Foley. Scannell and Holland had fine games and that gives me hope. Thought TOD was poor, surprisingly, CJ was a marked man. Zebo showed some great stuff in attack but slipped off a couple of tackles.

A word for Ian Keatley... he was snatching at four kicks in a row from his good side during the warmup, awful strike followed by awful strike, walked off to the dressing room shaking his head - he's in the absolute doldrums and shouldn't be played again this season. Get young Johnston on the bench, give Keats the summer off, go see a sports psychologist and/or top kicking coach or let him play backup 12 to Scannell where he can definitely do a job for us. Sad to see a fella at where he is a little over 12 months after turning out for his country.

Congrats to Connacht, they're simply a better-coached team than us, playing the right brand of rugby (even if I think teams will figure them out next season by doing what we did in the first half hour, knowing that they won't kick the ball). A brand of rugby not a million miles away from what Penney was trying (in vain) to turn us onto - he could see where the game was going, the 'traditional' Munster method of play is gone, dead. The sooner we move on from that the better, we just look rudderless.

Real buzz in the Sportsground and they're fans must be loving the rollercoaster - I shook every green hand around me and told them go on and win it, really hope they do.

Two big matches now to secure Champions Cup qualification, team needs us now more than ever. Get in a top class backs coach for next season, ideally Southern Hemisphere who can up our skills level to boot, some marquee signings in key positions and things won't seem so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

.ak wrote: »
    At the very least he'll influence the refs decision next time that ref has to make a call on Cronin.

he should concentrate on what's really controllable. His players, and not the ref.

Which is it ak? You're tripping over yourself trying to take cheap shots here.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

leakyboots wrote: »

Congrats to Connacht, they're simply a better-coached team than us, playing the right brand of rugby (even if I think teams will figure them out next season by doing what we did in the first half hour, knowing that they won't kick the ball). A brand of rugby not a million miles away from what Penney was trying (in vain) to turn us onto - he could see where the game was going, the 'traditional' Munster method of play is gone, dead. The sooner we move on from that the better, we just look rudderless.

I think the lack of kicking game could change next year. Boshoff, the SA outhalf who is joining Connacht next season, is known primarily as a kicking OH. While I am sure Connacht will maintain their running style of rugby it wouldn't be a surprise to see more territory played next year especially with a seasoned campaigner at OH.

• Advertisement

I think the lack of kicking game could change next year. Boshoff, the SA outhalf who is joining Connacht next season, is known primarily as a kicking OH. While I am sure Connacht will maintain their running style of rugby it wouldn't be a surprise to see more territory played next year especially with a seasoned campaigner at OH.

Don't forget Carty has put in some absolute beauts of territorial kicks this season aswell, it's something he's really starting to look good at. His kicking from the tee leaves a lot to be desired but his kicking from hand is getting better and better.

Any team will have to keep evolving or they'll eventually be found out. Pat is good coach and a smart one too, I'm sure they'll have switched up some parts of their game for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

leakyboots wrote: »
    A word for Ian Keatley... he was snatching at four kicks in a row from his good side during the warmup, awful strike followed by awful strike, walked off to the dressing room shaking his head - he's in the absolute doldrums and shouldn't be played again this season. Get young Johnston on the bench, give Keats the summer off, go see a sports psychologist and/or top kicking coach or let him play backup 12 to Scannell where he can definitely do a job for us. Sad to see a fella at where he is a little over 12 months after turning out for his country.

Johnston's season is over after a dislocated shoulder and Holland went off with a head injury. Munster may have no choice but to start Keatley.

Johnston's season is over after a dislocated shoulder and Holland went off with a head injury. Munster may have no choice but to start Keatley.

What's the story with Bleyendaal? He can't have played for 3 or 4 months at this stage, and the last I remember hearing(haven't been closely following admittedly) he'd strained his quad in training, how does that translate to 16+ weeks out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Having missed all but the last ten minutes of the game, I watched the highlights just there. The two yellow cards were well deserved. Cronin blatantly pulled Bealham down, it was so blatant that the ref could see it from the other side of the scrum. He had no choice but to give Cronin his marching orders, having just warned the front rows before the scrum. Billy Holland likewise; completely brain dead to flop down on the wrong side of a ruck in the reddest possible zone. It's all very well trying stuff on if you can get away with it, but the risk you take has to be weighed against the possible repercussions if you get it wrong.

Connacht's defence for the Munster tries was pretty poor, but that's Connacht for you and they'll probably only change as they get into the tougher games that Chmpions Cup rugby will bring. No doubt it'll be a bit of a learning curve but they've got the players and coaching staff to help ease them through. :)

Munster need to get their act together. If they can pull off a win against Edinburgh and make it through to the last six, they'll have time to fix the issues once they get their infrastructural and management issues sorted. By management, I'm talking about the new DOR btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

What the first 30 minutes proved is that Munster can play good rugby. The offload for the zebo try was a beaut. And then for some totally unknown reason they just shut up shop. OK Connacht started to play better but suddenly the quick play just stopped. Do think it was at this time that the Connacht pack came to grips with Munster and once that happened it was one way traffic.

Even if Munster do make the champions cup its seeding will be awful which will make next season just as miserable as this unless something seismic happens.

Foley's beaten expression helps nothing. His expression is much like keatleys these days and doesn't exactly inspire anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

danganabu wrote: »
    Which is it ak? You're tripping over yourself trying to take cheap shots here.

Are you suggesting the two points are conflicting? Because they're not.

Having missed all but the last ten minutes of the game, I watched the highlights just there. The two yellow cards were well deserved. Cronin blatantly pulled Bealham down, it was so blatant that the ref could see it from the other side of the scrum. He had no choice but to give Cronin his marching orders, having just warned the front rows before the scrum. Billy Holland likewise; completely brain dead to flop down on the wrong side of a ruck in the reddest possible zone. It's all very well trying stuff on if you can get away with it, but the risk you take has to be weighed against the possible repercussions if you get it wrong.

Eddie O'Sullivan did some analysis on Against the Head which is contrary to your analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Eddie O'Sullivan did some analysis on Against the Head which is contrary to your analysis.

Eddie also claimed Niyi''s second try was an obvious knock on so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Eddie O'Sullivan and analysis used in same sentance. Lovely :-). He is literally a bitter 'little' man who has failed to achieve any goals in his life and has instead turned to be a bitter pundit. God Munster is full of them. The only pundit from Munster I have any respect for is Tony Ward. At least he appreciates decent rugby.

• Advertisement

The only pundit from Munster I have any respect for is Tony Ward. At least he appreciates decent rugby.

Oh come on.

You're killing me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement