Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres not roadworthy bigger cause of accidents than prev thought

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a tread wear indicator on the tyres, if this is flush with the tread it's time.
    3mm is usually recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

say I go to nct and thread is marginally over 1.6 limit, I can leave and drive on them for 2 years, ha they would be like racing slicks! Cars should be in there every year full stop! also thread should be raised to at least 3mm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Idbatterim wrote: »
    say I go to nct and thread is marginally over 1.6 limit, I can leave and drive on them for 2 years, ha they would be like racing slicks! Cars should be in there every year full stop! also thread should be raised to at least 3mm...

People shouldn't rely on the nct to tell them their tyres are worn out, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

say I go to nct and exhaust is marginally below limit, I can leave and drive for 2 years,

say I go to nct and brakes is marginally above limit, I can leave and drive for 2 years,

say I go to nct and suspension is marginally above limit, I can leave and drive for 2 years,

The same can be said for many things, just because NCT say your car is ok on one day doesn't mean it is the next. Drivers need to take responsibility for their cars regardless of the NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

NCT is to make sure that people make an effort every year or two and bring the car to sensible condition. The cert states that the car is ok at the date of testing and next test is to be done before yada yada. It does not say it is going to be roadworthy for that period of time.

If NCT regime wasn't there, half of the cars will not ever had a bulb changed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

cruizer101 wrote: »
    say I go to nct and exhaust is marginally below limit, I can leave and drive for 2 years,

say I go to nct and brakes is marginally above limit, I can leave and drive for 2 years,

say I go to nct and suspension is marginally above limit, I can leave and drive for 2 years,

The same can be said for many things, just because NCT say your car is ok on one day doesn't mean it is the next. Drivers need to take responsibility for their cars regardless of the NCT

Something the RSA made very clear in their recent radio ads:-
    A Valid NCT only confirms that a car met a minimum standard on the day of the test, it can't guarantee safety in the days, weeks and months that followed

And surprisingly there were complaints about it apparently.

http://www.redfm.ie/news/cork/rsa-reacts-to-complaints-about-recent-advert/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

say I go to nct and thread is marginally over 1.6 limit, I can leave and drive on them for 2 years, ha they would be like racing slicks! Cars should be in there every year full stop!

:rolleyes:

People shouldn't rely on the nct to tell them their tyres are worn out, though.
    Say I go to nct and exhaust is marginally below limit, I can leave and drive for 2 years,

your points are both true. But people wont look after these things for the most part, isnt that why we have the nct? Every two years is a joke or four years for new, LOL how many miles are some reps running up in a year on new cars?! Good to know the pads, tyres, discs etc can go four years legally, without being checked :rolleyes:

Knock the cost of the test off motor tax to avoid any "money making racket" claims. Every car is in every year...

Jesus. wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

its every year in the Uk, but I am sure we know better than them :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Canadel wrote: »
    Tyre - only part of a car that comes into direct contact with the road.

And I'm always amused by the amount of bad "drivers" who try to challenge that maxim on public roads.

They're usually the ones talking about the great tyres they have.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

And I'm always amused by the amount of bad "drivers" who try to challenge that maxim on public roads.

They're usually the ones talking about the great tyres they have.....

amazing the amount of full time long time idiots on the road, they must have got their driving licences in lucky bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Very good.

CiniO wrote: »
    Very good.

I hit a pot hole in wednesday night and blew 2 tyres that were only put on the car in february. Cost then €160,cost yesterday €160. €320 in 2 months.nothing about worn/defective roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What will happen if a car is stopped with defective tyres? I would presume they won't be allowed to continue their journey or else it would be like letting a driver who failed a breath test continue on their way. I suppose they already set aside a massive storage area to store all these cars at a nice €75 a day?

What will happen if a car is stopped with defective tyres? I would presume they won't be allowed to continue their journey or else it would be like letting a driver who failed a breath test continue on their way. I suppose they already set aside a massive storage area to store all these cars at a nice €75 a day?

If it's just the 1 they'll probably make the driver change it (if they can and safely) plus issue a fine with points. Those storage yards are big. I was in one recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with previous threads based on that RSA investigation.

Good to read they will address bad tyres. Hopefully it'll help with road collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the actual statutory instrument S.I. No. 167 of 2016
    ROAD TRAFFIC (FIXED CHARGE OFFENCES — TYRES)
    REGULATIONS 2016 http://opac.oireachtas.ie/AWData/Library3/dttsdoclaid150416_154450.pdf which is based on Section 11(5) of the RoadTraffic Act (1961 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/11/enacted/en/html and S.I. No. 5/2003 - Road Traffic (Construction and Use of Vehicles) Regulations 2003 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/si/5/made/en/print

Road traffic act 2010 (section 54(d))(defective or worn tyres) (commencement) order 2016 http://opac.oireachtas.ie/AWData/Library3/dttsdoclaid150416B_155519.pdf starting 17th of April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Yul Brinners get an €80 fine and 2 points from today. It's a nice morning so there might be a checkpoint or two about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Darn it. My back left is nearly shot was hoping to wait until the NCT in September to replace it.

• Advertisement

Superhorse wrote: »
    Darn it. My back left is nearly shot was hoping to wait until the NCT in September to replace it.

I hope this is sarcasm? The amount of people who think a car is perfect from one NCT until the next need a serious wake up call. My own sister in law was driving around for months until i said it to her,the reply was disturbing, "sure once it passes the nct isn't it grand until the next time" and yes she is blonde.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Person on low income who cant afford to get new tyres gets caught, fined €80 buys new tyre or tyres and has to tell insurance company that he/she has 2 points which will drive up the cost of insurance.

Nobody gives a crap about the low income earners that barely afford to maintain their cars, dont forget people who drive older cars pay more in road tax than the rich folk in newer cars.

No need for penalty points the fine should be enough and there should be more spot checks by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

mikeym wrote: »
    Person on low income who cant afford to get new tyres gets caught, fined €80 buys new tyre or tyres and has to tell insurance company that he/she has 2 points which will drive up the cost of insurance.

Nobody gives a crap about the low income earners that barely afford to maintain their cars, dont forget people who drive older cars pay more in road tax than the rich folk in newer cars.

No need for penalty points the fine should be enough and there should be more spot checks by the Gardai.

Would it not be worse if person on low incomes family had to pay for their funeral because they were driving around on slicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Can get quality tyres for as cheap as 120 for all 4,no excuse to be driving on bald tyres imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Can get quality tyres for as cheap as 120 for all 4,no excuse to be driving on bald tyres imo

No, there isn't any excuse but they should look to also improve the conditions of the roads to ensure a tyre can last it's useful life on Irish roads. It can be expensive constantly replacing a tyre if you have constant pot holes around your house.

The cost of motoring is as much of a factor in accidents in Ireland as anything else, as some people simply cannot afford to maintain their cars anymore and yes they shouldn't be on the road but a lot of people would have no income without a car. This won't solve the problems of defective tyres on the road.

If the we really want to improve road safety we need to reduce the cost of motoring, particularly the insurance industry and the bizarre settlements we see every day that's driving up the costs of keeping your car on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I don't know much about cars but my recent service came back saying my two back tyres sidewalls were "perished" and should be replaced. It's a 2012 Astra so I'm just going to bite the bullet and get all four tyres replaced with brand new ones even if it's expensive will that do the trick, safety wise? Or do I also have to track balance and align them? Any advice appreciated

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I had to get 4 new tyres recently, €680 for the 4 of them, glad I got them now I've a feeling the price of tyres will go up with this news.

Forked out 160e on 2 new tyres the other day. Pirelli P7's. thanks to a pothole. also put 2 others on the car in February. same tyres same price. wrote a car off on remould tyres years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

If one cannot afford to get new tyres, that actually means one cannot afford to have a car.

Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The person on low income shouldn't be driving a car with bald tyres, end of story. Neither should anyone else. I'm astonished anyone would try to excuse that carry on to be honest.:mad:

Advertisement