Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres not roadworthy bigger cause of accidents than prev thought

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Canadel wrote: »
    Tyre - only part of a car that comes into direct contact with the road.

No contact with drivers wallets either it seems as most people drive on skids whilst spending lots on valets .......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Worst ive seen is people who come into the shop with 4 tyres they're begged stolen or borrowed wanting the skids with lumps on them taken off and replaced with these. Had one recently car needed to be nctd he got them changed car passed nct. Then he came back and wanted the skids with holes in them and wire sticking out put back on. One of these tyres had been manufactured in 1998! Told him no way not road worthy and no way they'd have passed nct. He took them with him and I'd bet set off to find another tyre shop that would for them for him. Ridiculous attitude to road safety and pure mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Interesting, it's not on the current list
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Points%20Chart1.pdf

Most/all EU countries have 1.6mm, I'm pretty sure it's EU law and therefore Irish law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

so went for my NCFT and failed on a small electrical thingy which when I looked back over it happened in 2004, one year before I before I bought the car. Also told the front tire thread count is very low.

so far I have had the following:

head gasket goes 6 months into buying the car second hand on done deal my guy fixed it and also fixed the fan belt and timing belt replaced,

A month later new right axle needed replaced,

last year I failed on having no rear brakes and to get fixed and retested for €22 one year since I bought the car

A few months later the fuel pump died got a part from a french supplier, now when I fill up max the car thinks I'm empty and flashes me,

Sunday I failed on a small electrical thingy which when I looked back over old NCT it happened in 2004 also and failed then also

on the way out I bumped into a guy who say "hi tony do you remember me?? I sold you the Car!!!!!!

CURSED?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Wow ,that was out of the blue, but your tyres not to bad ya ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Just see on crimewatch the RSA CEO was talking on the issue of part-worn tires and yeah no surprise at her conclusion.... part-worn tires are deathtraps!

Totally one sided as expected and no mention of part worn vs cheap budget tires...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Worded as "Deathtraps", so surely should be illegal to sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Wow ,that was out of the blue, but your tyres not to bad ya ?

I'm told I'd need to change them soon but are ok for a few more miles. what do they normally cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

tonyheaney wrote: »
    what do they normally cost?

A few lives, hopefully not children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

This post has been deleted.

No mention as it is completely unfounded and nonsense

triangles lol

triangles triangles triangles haha

What is the forum's obsession with budget tyres? Ive read the article and no mention of cheap tyres being an issue. It is not mentioned as it is not an issue.

Please everyone, carry on with your superior than thou knowledge of tyres and type out triangles one more time for the lulz

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I am actually shocked its taken this long.

Our roads are terrible from numerous different materials and patches and pot holes and ruts etc.(craters)

Doesn't matter what your driving style or the type of vehicle you should only be able to purchase decent tyres.

If the RSA and government were serious and wanted to actually improve things a start would be to cut tax on the better tyres and cut out the absolute rubbish.

I can honestly say the time I was driving and the car left the road if it had better brand on it the car would still be on the road it was impossible to control.
    Weather was a factor but the tyres been what I found out after been the worst cheap crap with a e symbol on them.

They are also saying there are now possible counterfeit cheap brand tyres and manufacturers don't know what's in them, in the U.S anyway.

It is not mentioned as it is not an issue.

The article does not mention ISIS either, I am glad they are not an issue.

The article would suggest your driving was at fault if anything. Buying slightly more expensive tyres will not make you a racing car driver.

Its almost laughable. I crashed because the tyres made me do it :pac: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

joujoujou wrote: »
    No more "speed kills" BS?

What a surprise. :cool:

to be fair they've actually been doing alright lately. That ad with the upset woman with the 'don't turn round to your damn kids' message was long overdue, very necessary and the ad is pretty effective.

The article does not mention ISIS either, I am glad they are not an issue.

I see. Cant give a reasonable argument so you resort to unfunny nonsense is it?

Of course ISIS are not responsible if you cant drive correctly on irish roads :confused:

I see. Cant give a reasonable argument so you resort to unfunny nonsense is it?

The article is talking about faults which contribute to fatal accidents. Crap (but legal) tyres are not faults, any more than ISIS are.

They still kill people, same as ISIS.

Exactly they are not faulty and do not cause faults.

Thanks for clearing that up

Lets say you buy a new tyre and it has 8mm tread on it (im taking 8mm as the figure as it was mentioned earlier in the thread); what mileage should a person reasonably (on average etc) expect from such a tyre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

There are so many different types of tyres and we depend on the garage to sell us the correct ones.
    Like i had nct laxt year and one of the tyres was a snow tyre .
    Another time i went to garage and they told me i had two winter tyres and two summer tyres.
    And when the fitter was putting on a tyre he told me the tyre was for right hand side only and if i got puncture etc not to put this wheel on the other side.
    Then there are dodgy chinese tyres out there on the market and about 2 years ago i had a tyre with no E mark.
    I have heard of guys that go to Germany in their transit vans and drive home with full load of tyres .

The tyre industry needs regulation ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Exactly they are not faulty and do not cause faults.

Thanks for clearing that up
    do not cause faults.

What sort of statement is that ?

Do not cause faults ?

No, they're sh!te

may even be copies of cheap tires !

"Many of our molds went missing, we have no idea of who may have made these tires, nor what they put in them"

Lets say you buy a new tyre and it has 8mm tread on it (im taking 8mm as the figure as it was mentioned earlier in the thread); what mileage should a person reasonably (on average etc) expect from such a tyre?

On a family car, I get at least a year, say 30,000 km out of a set of quality tyres.

But tyres that last really well may do it by never actually being any good on day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The article would suggest your driving was at fault if anything. Buying slightly more expensive tyres will not make you a racing car driver.

Its almost laughable. I crashed because the tyres made me do it :pac: :rolleyes:

Seriously. Why do you think you can buy some tyres much cheaper than others? Do you genuinely think all tyres are the same? It certainly comes across that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

New legislation will allow the Gardai to give you points and fine there and then. At the moment your straight to court for a dodgy tyre which seems such a waste stupidly long process.

I think we need a serious clampdown by Gardai on tyres, bulbs, indicating, roundabout use ect..

carzony wrote: »
    I think we need a serious clampdown by Gardai on tyres, bulbs, indicating, roundabout use ect..

Tyres and bulbs, yes please.

Indicating and rouddabouts - no, these are not a major cause of deaths on the road. Worst case, a roundabout idiot causes a low-speed accident and some insurance claims.

Indicators - I can pretty reliably predict which indicator the car in front is about to use before they do - these are the well-behaved ones who actually indicate. Very low on my list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Put two new Michelin Primacys on the 159 there last week. €270 all in in 215/55/16.

Money well spent. Best tyres for that car.

Tyres and bulbs, yes please.

Indicating and rouddabouts - no, these are not a major cause of deaths on the road. Worst case, a roundabout idiot causes a low-speed accident and some insurance claims.

Indicators - I can pretty reliably predict which indicator the car in front is about to use before they do - these are the well-behaved ones who actually indicate. Very low on my list of priorities.

We should be avoiding accidents of any kind. Insurance is pricey enough without 'ah sure, It's only another small claim''. You can't really blame the Gardai as driver behaviour on motorways and roundabouts should be part of a driving test really.

The bulb issue is a very simple issue to solve with a proper advertising campaign and enforcmement.

What are the best brand in people's opinions? Michelin? Had Michelin tyres on a focus a few years ago and they were great. Lasted for ages..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

If you were to increase it to near 4mm tyres wont last long at all, especially on these rds unlike germany. mabey 2.5mm the most i think would be fair.
    That said, the few extra grams of rubber to bring the tread depth up a bit would hardly cost much. Pennies?
    But of course, in good ole Ireland it will double the price of a tyre. It'll never happen.

Advertisement