Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres not roadworthy bigger cause of accidents than prev thought

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It finally looks like they are taking actual stats from crashes that can be used to educate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The do not say what percentage of the cars with legal tyres were on triangular ling longs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Issues with tyres included worn thread, ill-fitting tyres and tyres under or over inflated.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This will be milked for all it's worth by the tyre 'industry' but it's worth paying attention to the details ....

An analysis of forensic collision investigations conducted by gardaí between 2008 and 2012 has found that tyres were a contributory factor in 8% of 858 fatal crashes.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0404/779346-road-safety-authority-tyres/

So a 'contributory factor' in just 8% (1 in 12) of fatal accidents, presumably along with the usual suspects - speed, inexperience and alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

No more "speed kills" BS?

What a surprise. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

What all them fancy testing people need to do is compare a worn out set of premium tyres with a fresh set of Triangles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Tyre - only part of a car that comes into direct contact with the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Canadel wrote: »

Not true. I saw a 3 series BMW the other day their exhaust back box was in direct contact with the ground!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Canadel wrote: »

What about one of those anti static strips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Can I just ask a question that will leave me wide open to an express train full of abuse .

I've always just put on 60/70 euros tyres , I've never even thought about it, all my cars have been fairly cheap so I don't qualify for "spending 10/20/30k on a car and skimping on a few hundred .

What price are we looking at for a safe tyre . I'm sorry I've never thought about of that's all

M

Can I just ask a question that will leave me wide open to an express train full of abuse .

I've always just put on 60/70 euros tyres , I've never even thought about it, all my cars have been fairly cheap so I don't qualify for "spending 10/20/30k on a car and skimping on a few hundred .

What price are we looking at for a safe tyre . I'm sorry I've never thought about of that's all

Probably an extra €20 a tyre from what your spending now for a premium brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Probably an extra €20 a tyre from what your spending now for a premium brand.

To be fair given we don't know the tyre size or brand it's a bit hard to know if the guy fitted poor tyres or not.

Op what brand of tyre did you fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ugghh OK at present I have a c4 grand Picasso and last tyre we got was a 16" land sail ls288 . the tyre before that was called rapid . cost of both would have been around 70/75 .

If these tyres are OK....ish ... What is the price of one of these cheap tyres . .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

seen this on joe.ie, i thought you could get points for bad tyres already. This is a good thing anyway. Tyres are what help stop a car and people who drive on them to the last tread are not only putting themselves at risk but other road users too.

http://www.joe.ie/news/irish-drivers-will-soon-face-penalty-points-unless/537837

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I always thought this was a penalty point offense already too. Saw a taxi today with completely bald slicks, lethal.

M

It should be 2 or 4 points per tyre as it's not like the tyres will go bald after one drive.

its funny tho, a lot of people wont change their tyres until near the NCT or when the NCT tells them too. There are too many people who dont know how to do basic checks on a car also. Its ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I also thought it was a penalty point offence but just looked at the list and no mention of tyres. They do have several options which could be used but all are mandatory court appearance and 5 penalty points, which while a sufficient punishment is a waste of court time and IIRC in court you only get done for one offence instead of each tyre with penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I thought it was classed under dangerous driving?

Guess not....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Considering its the only thing on your car in contact with the road, the lack of money and thought put into tyres is amazing.

Bad tyres could be the difference between life and death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Vicxas wrote: »

Guess not....

It would be if the Garda deemed it as dangerous. Dangerous driving seems to be used for anything that doesn't have a fine specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Damien360

The 1.6mm limit in a country where it rains 80% of the time is silly. Germany has 4mm limit. When you consider tyres come new at 8mm, they chuck them out at half way.

We need to bring the limit up closer to 4 and start telling people not to use summer tyres but all seasons. People will bitch and moan and I am sure some TD will jump on it and complain if it happened but tyres are a safety feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I have never had a Garda check tyres, as anybody else have ?, road tax/nct and insurance yes at a road stop but even this is very rare now. but i do iive in a rural area.

Damien360 wrote: »
    The 1.6mm limit in a country where it rains 80% of the time is silly. Germany has 4mm limit. When you consider tyres come new at 8mm, they chuck them out at half way.

We need to bring the limit up closer to 4 and start telling people not to use summer tyres but all seasons. People will bitch and moan and I am sure some TD will jump on it and complain if it happened but tyres are a safety feature.

If you were to increase it to near 4mm tyres wont last long at all, especially on these rds unlike germany. mabey 2.5mm the most i think would be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

Vicxas wrote: »

Guess not....

Afaik, a car with badly worn / bald tyres can be classed as a 'dangerous defective vehicle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Ugghh OK at present I have a c4 grand Picasso and last tyre we got was a 16" land sail ls288 . the tyre before that was called rapid . cost of both would have been around 70/75 .

If these tyres are OK....ish ... What is the price of one of these cheap tyres . .....

It is probably 205/60R16 or 215/55R16.

After EireTyres, the cheapest tyres in that size are for around €50. They don't even stock those you have mentioned...

Much better Fulda Eco Control is €78, with premium brands like Dunlop, Bridgestone etc. €90.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The 1.6mm limit in a country where it rains 80% of the time is silly. Germany has 4mm limit. When you consider tyres come new at 8mm, they chuck them out at half way....

Guess where they go next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Minimum legal thread depth in Germany is 1.6mm.

Peddlers of part worn tyres often say the legal limit in Germany is 4mm to add some logic to their sales pitch whereby the crazy Germans bin perfectly good tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

VeVeX wrote: »
    Minimum legal thread depth in Germany is 1.6mm.

Peddlers of part worn tyres often say the legal limit in Germany is 4mm to add some logic to their sales pitch whereby the crazy Germans bin perfectly good tyres.

Most tyres are taken and sold to the likes of us as they are punctured and then plugged.

Winter tyres are used over there so summers are taken off and sometimes that's where some come from also as they just buy new then re fit.

Advertisement