Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Deary me - you don't need any descaler for an enamel mug and a strainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

katemarch wrote: »
    Deary me - you don't need any descaler for an enamel mug and a strainer.

Huh? A Gaggia Classic is an espresso machine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm lost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

LOL - that's how I make my coffee! No electric required. #minimalism

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I remember when this was all just green fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I just drink water from a stream. #moreminimalistthanyou

Actually, I've returned to my AeroPress, while I find a replacement gasket for my Gaggia Classic's steam tube. Had forgotten just how good the coffee was, and how quick and clean the job of making the coffee is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

apologies if posted before
    38waystomakeaperfectCoffee_541aafbba6bcb.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's definitely some crazy types of coffee out there.

Never seen the idea of dripped coffee and espresso in the one cup. Also never heard of the lemon in the espresso, don't think I'll be trying it either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

adrian522 wrote: »
    Also never heard of the lemon in the espresso,

love how the decaffinated is called the lazy eye, and the triple espresso with coffee is a dead eye.

It's always an interesting poster no matter how many times it's been posted.

On the espresso front and I'd be interested in people's thoughts on this one.

3fe use a 2:1 ratio of water:coffee

So for example a double shot of 18g coffee would be 36g/ml water.

They use a 30second extraction time.

I've tried to dial this in at home. Getting closer to it since I changed the gasket on my Classic but need to get more consistency.

I'm not sure this extraction is what everyone thinks of when they think double espresso though.

The poster give 60ml of water for a double.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd heard 1.55 input to output, so 18g * 1.55 would give 27.9g of output, which is pretty much what I'd aim for, hopefully in 25-28 seconds.

When you say 36ml of water, do you mean 36 mls of coffee or they add 36mls of water to the 18g of coffee?

I took this from here, back in the day...

https://colinharmon.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/falling-in-love-with-espresso-1-55-times-over-again/

I'd heard 1.55 input to output, so 18g * 1.55 would give 27.9g of output, which is pretty much what I'd aim for, hopefully in 25-28 seconds.

When you say 36ml of water, do you mean 36 mls of coffee or they add 36mls of water to the 18g of coffee?

I took this from here, back in the day...

https://colinharmon.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/falling-in-love-with-espresso-1-55-times-over-again/

I mean as in extract 36mls coffee in the 30 seconds.

I was on the barista course a couple of weeks back. The barista giving the course said it used to be the 1.55 input you're talking about but they now use a 2:1 ratio over 30seconds.

They use the same ratio for every type of coffee they use?

They use the same ratio for every type of coffee they use?

As far as I know yes.

Seems a good deal in a too good to be true sort of way

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057584614

Actually, I've returned to my AeroPress, while I find a replacement gasket for my Gaggia Classic's steam tube.

Perhaps this belongs in a different thread (suppliers), but just wanted to point out that I scoured t'internet for a replacement Gaggia Classic Steam wand gasket (tiny rubber ring, about the size of a coffee bean). I got the part name/number from this parts diagram, and eventually identified a couple of UK suppliers who would sell this item as part of a Gaggia Classic repair kit with a load of other gaskets/replacement parts (typically around £10-£15, incl. P&P). Some further searching based on part numbers, and I located a company in Dublin - Catering Parts. A week and a half later, I had four replacement gaskets arrive at my workplace, for the princely sum of €0.66. It pays to shop around and shop local!

Perhaps this belongs in a different thread (suppliers), but just wanted to point out that I scoured t'internet for a replacement Gaggia Classic Steam wand gasket (tiny rubber ring, about the size of a coffee bean). I got the part name/number from this parts diagram, and eventually identified a couple of UK suppliers who would sell this item as part of a Gaggia Classic repair kit with a load of other gaskets/replacement parts (typically around £10-£15, incl. P&P). Some further searching based on part numbers, and I located a company in Dublin - Catering Parts. A week and a half later, I had four replacement gaskets arrive at my workplace, for the princely sum of €0.66. It pays to shop around and shop local!

Definately no 66cent but I highly recommend this. Attaches directly onto you Gaggia classic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00MZA8OVU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1460638696&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=gaggia+classic+steam+wand+rancilio&dpPl=1&dpID=31gxbNHGy-L&ref=plSrch

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For descaling you can buy 100g of citric acid granules for €1.50 or so in many of the Asian shops. The brand is East End who also do lots of the main spices for Indian cooking. Spices are much value than buying the tiny Schwartz jars in Tesco.

I de-scale by dissolving 2 teapoons of citric acid into a near full water resevoir, works a treat.

Great to know - will grab some and give it a go descaling!

I actually have a Rancilio Silvia steam wand. The gasket is part of the steam tube (into which you connect the Rancilio Silvia steam wand.

• Advertisement

I actually have a Rancilio Silvia steam wand. The gasket is part of the steam tube (into which you connect the Rancilio Silvia steam wand.

Sorry. Just when you said Gaggia steam wand. There's a crazy difference between the two isn't there.

Sorry. Just when you said Gaggia steam wand. There's a crazy difference between the two isn't there.
    Absolutely! It's the difference between a big cup of foam and my continued attempts to perfect the flat white!

Losing pressure in steam wand... it's spluttering and producing some terrible flat milk :( I guess it's time for a good thorough descale!

Yeah, descale usually helps with this.

My problem currently is with the Vario. It's close to the coarsest setting for the V60 and its still probably too fine. For espresso its on the second finest setting and is just right. It'll soon only be good for one or the other by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

My problem currently is with the Vario. It's close to the coarsest setting for the V60 and its still probably too fine. For espresso its on the second finest setting and is just right. It'll soon only be good for one or the other by the looks of things.

Maybe ask the lads in Marco to take a look Adrian? Burrs might need replacing. I have a set of spare ceramic burrs as I'd upgraded mine to a steel set to use as my filter grinder. Happy to gift these if you find yours need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

You might also want to calibrate the Vario to give you finer settings. Loads of guides and pdfs around. The V60 I found tricky enough getting the slow pour right hence my chemex love. Again loads of guides and techniques around that might be worth testing out.

donnacha wrote: »
    You might also want to calibrate the Vario to give you finer settings. Loads of guides and pdfs around. The V60 I found tricky enough getting the slow pour right hence my chemex love. Again loads of guides and techniques around that might be worth testing out.

Yeah, I'd say an adjustment may be needed, adjusted it before when espresso wasn't fine enough so may need going back in the other direction slightly.

Could probably do with a good clean too as opposed to the grindz method I've been using.

I'm off to Mayo for the weekend. Any good coffee shops about the place. Westport for example.

No idea about Mayo but I think it would be a great idea for people to post up good coffee places in places they've visited in Ireland or further afield.

Maybe a new thread for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmac2009

No idea about Mayo but I think it would be a great idea for people to post up good coffee places in places they've visited in Ireland or further afield.

Maybe a new thread for that?

Great idea. One of the first things I check when in a new town/city. Bit sad really!

Advertisement